main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JA 17: The Only Witness (spoilers, thoughts, etc)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jenn-Kenobi, Jan 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenn-Kenobi

Jenn-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 3, 2001
    I don't know if anyone has gotten a chance to read JA 17 or if it is even out yet. So is it out or not?

If anyone has read it, I am wondering if it was good or not. Any thoughts?

Also, if it is not out, what do any of you think may happen or at least hope will happen?

Any ideas or thoughts?

2. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I don't think it's out yet.

Not knowing the date of release, I stopped by my local B&N last week to see if they had it, but it wasn't in.

I'm not sure what to expect. Qui-Gon lost his love... I feel so bad for him. :_|

~*~Bria

3. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I haven't found it yet...

That is proably because I haven't really looked, but I heard that it's shipping date was Jan. 8, so I think that we will start to see it really soon, hopefully ;)

4. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Oh, good news indeed. :)

I'll have to call B&N tomorrow... don't want to make a trip out for nothing. ;)

~*~Bria

5. Jenn-Kenobi

Aug 3, 2001
    Any luck? Bria? Cow Girl?

I have to wait till Feb. Don't you just love your local bookstore? :(

6. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Haven't seen it yet.

7. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    Sorry, Not yet.

But I am planning to go to My local Chapters on Sunday and I will hopefully find it there...

If I do, I'll let you know...

8. Bria

May 15, 1999
    I'm sorry! I forgot to call.

I did however stop by Barnes and Noble today as I had to get to the library and they are located close together.

The Only Witness wasn't on the shelf and a saleslady looked it up on their computer... all that it said was that 5 were on order. :(

~*~Bria

9. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I got it at B&N today. Haven't read it yet, but it's only 118 pages. It looks so skinny. :(

10. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Why am I not surprised?... :p I probably won't be able to get it until the early next month, when I go to get TAS and DJ. :(

TC

11. Bria

May 15, 1999
    You got it, Rebecca191? Great! :)

I work tomorrow, but I'll have to call B&N on Sunday to see if it's in yet. Don't want to waste gas if it isn't. ;)

~*~Bria

12. Jenn-Kenobi

Aug 3, 2001
    Well, I am not going to brother asking till next month.

I am open to any spoilers and/or what happened in the story, if any of you want to share, then you get it. I would like to see your opinion on the book too, good or bad.

13. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    Bought it, read it, got the T-shirt.

First thing is first, this book is short. Now with that is mind, lets talk about the story part. Qui-gon is still in deep mourning for Tahl, even though it takes place months and months after the call to vegence, he was not really ready to go out on a mission, but the council kind of forces him to go on a assignment that by all rights should have benn really easy. They are to protect a young widow from her own family that is out to kill her becuase she knows all of there secrets.

"The Only witnesses's" name is Lena, I found it incredibly cute that Obi-wan devolps this huge crush on her and some times goes against qui-gon more than once to help her. I know that Qui-gon was going to be out of sorts in this one, but there are parts where he is just down right mean to people he should be helping.

Obi-wan is really more mature in this one and saves Qui-gon a couple of times becasue he can't keep his mind on what he is doing.

This book is really short and so is the mission, I think the enitre main plot takes place over just two days. It could off gone for much longer but I guess that they just wanted to a really short story.

The entire book I thought was okay, but my favorite part was at the very last chapter, when Qui-gon actually thanks obi-wan for all the patience that he has shown and all the compassion and how he helps. Another scene is Obi-wan tries to give Qui-gon some advice that he once gave to Obi-wan when he thought that Bant was going to die (From the Captive temple) and when Obi-wan gives the same advice trying to comfort Qui-gon, Qui-gon shrugs him off and walks away. Poor Obi-wan, he is shot down alot in this book.

All in all, I did enjoy this book alot.

Edit- I forgot soemthing that is really cool, about this book that links to episode 2-Attack of the clones, so I will give it spolier space just to be careful

Okay for those of us that have been keeping up with Attack of the clones spoliers, you may remeber the Jedi Librain named Jocast Nu that is seen in a photo with the Older Obi-wan kenobi. She makes a cameo apperance in this book briefing Qui-gon and Obi-wan on the planet that they are going to visit. She is described exactly as she looks in the photo, right down to how she wears her hair. She is only there for a second and she gets mad at Qui-gon becasue he Keeps interupting her when she is trying to talk. Just a short little thing that I thought was cool.

14. Jedi-Faith

Jedi-Faith Jedi Master star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    Hmmm... sounds like an interesting book! And of course, fate would always pick the weekend that I don't go home for the book to come out... ARGGGGGG!!! :mad:

Oh well... I can be patient... I can... :p I hope... :D

15. maxim_reality

maxim_reality Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2001
    thanks Cow_girl ! it will take me forever to get that book at least i know what will happen now! ;)

maxim_reality was talking to you

16. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    Has anyone who has read the book please tell me why Obi-wan gets creeped out when he looks at the picture in the bedroom of Lena and her husband? I think it was becasue he was jealous but I could be wrong...

And another thing that I thougt of while reading this book today, could Jude watson pump any more forshadowing into this book? I'm not going to say more because of Episode two spoliers, but anyone that knows the plot will know what I mean.

17. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Jocasta Nu. Cool. Thanks for the info.

18. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Cow Girl, I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't really catch that much foreshadowing. What did you think was foreshadowing, it is entirely possible I just wasn't thinking when I read it. PM me if you have to. :)

19. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Well, JA16 isn't even out in the UK yet... :(

JA17 sounds COOL but short...

Lena?!?!? WATSON NICKED ONE OF MY CHARACTERS NAMES!!! :mad: Lol!

20. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Yay! I got it yesterday afternoon. :)

I can't wait to start reading it... just wish school wouldn't get in the way. :p

~*~Bria

21. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    Ginger_Jedi- Hmmm, That's funny becasue I read the name "Lena" and I was like that sounds really familar, I knew I had read it in a fanfic, but look on the brightside, maybe Jude watson read and really liked your story ;)

22. Jenn-Kenobi

Aug 3, 2001
    Ginger, don't feel too bad. Maybe JW will be smart and tell GL about us, if she read our fics.... :)

I will not see or get JA 17 till Feb. :(

23. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Lena is a very well-known name here in Germany. Jude Watson could really use some new inspiration in coming up with names. After a while, all her secondary character names start to sound the same; Den, Lana, Lena, Frane, Yaana, Meenon. Ugh.

24. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Well, if JW is reading fan fics, maybe we should introduce her to a thing called MUSH!!!

Yeah, you're write Jane. Anyone remember Ewane??

25. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Read it last night. Local Barnes and Noble had it. It was okay, but it's definitely Qui-Gon's story, and we know how Jude Watson has made that the focus of the last few books.

First mention of a time line -- we learn that "more than four years" have passed since Obi-Wan became Qui-Gon's Padawan, so he's 18 now.

Obi-Wan might be enamoured of Lena, but it's certainly not returned. I didn't think that either Lena or her cousin were well developed characters, actually. Watson is focusing all her energies on her description of Qui-Gon's reaction to Tahl's death. This is going on far longer than I find interesting, that's for sure.

And also interesting that Qui-Gon counsels Obi-Wan not to get infatuated. I guess it was OK for him to fall in love with Tahl... :)

At least, at the end, we have Qui-Gon thinking about someone other than himself, and thanking Obi-Wan for "hanging in there." I hope the next book -- the last in the series -- will show each of them relying on each other, and their Jedi abilities, as they have in the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.