main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jabba the Hutt's Tribble-Free Holodeck and All-Day Buffet: FF Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by oqidaun, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    This is the last time I'm going to do this... :D

Shall we begin with the standard rehashing of the rules that a handful of people never seem to quite understand? And if you're puzzled by the specificity of some of the rules--they probably apply to you. :p Big thanks to Ale for compiling and streamlining the rules from social threads of the past.

PLEASE READ AND OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES CAREFULLY.

This thread will be run by the Fan Fiction moderators. Like all threads in Fanfic, all posts in the thread must be TOS compliant and any TOS violation (baiting, flaming, spamming, foul language etc.) WILL result in disciplinary action, i.e., a ban. Additionally, this thread will be moderated according to the rules set forth:

Social Thread Rules:

1. This social thread is part of the Fan Fiction Resource Board. It does not belong to any particular person or group of people. All users are welcome. As in the past, any concerns about the thread should be brought to the attention of ANY member of the moderating team.

2. This is a social thread not a chat room. IM style conversations, e.g., single word or short dependent comments, need to be moved to IM, PM, or an actual chat room. Conversations should be meant to encompass ALL users.

3. Back-to-back posts and spamming will not be tolerated. If the conversation dies down do not post simply to ?up? the thread. (i.e. ?This thread has died? or ?Where is everyone??) Additionally, using this thread to increase one?s post count is also discouraged. There are no prizes for big post counts.

4. If you snark, we ban. Keep personal feuds and unfriendly comments off the board. This includes negative opinions about the seasonal awards programs, other users, moderators, archivists, religion, social commentaries, or any other topic that might provoke snarking, or more importantly, hurt feelings. If you can?t say something nice, don?t say it. Keep in mind, putting tongue or ?just kidding? (or some other derivative) after a comment, is not an excuse for a comment normally considered snarky to be seen as being playful.

5. Fanfic-related or thread-specific discussions do not belong here. Steering the conversation in the direction of a specific fic is not allowed. Posts on specific fics will be viewed as ?pimping? and will be edited/deleted from the thread by a moderator. The user will receive one warning before further disciplinary action is taken, i.e., a short term ban. DO NOT USE THIS FORUM TO TALK ABOUT YOUR FICs. IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT A PARTICULAR FIC, DO IT IN THE APPROPRIATE RESOURCE THREAD.

?But why not? This is a Fanfic Board isn?t it??

The logical rationale behind this rule is to ensure that this social thread is a welcome place for all users regardless of whose story threads they frequent. One of the chief criticisms about this thread in the past (and one of the primary reasons we are always hesitant to re-open it) has been that it has served as a private club for a small number of authors who used it to discuss their own fics and the fics of their friends. Use of the social thread as a ?fan club? is not in the best interests of this community and simply unfair to all of the other users. Please keep comments on specific fics to the story thread, an appropriate Resource thread or PM. We shouldn't have to be this specific, since the rules CLEARLY state that you aren't allowed to discuss your fic, direct readers to your fic, or make this thread about your writing in any way, but LINKING your fic is strictly forbidden and in fact far worse than just talking about your fic. There are other threads in which you can link your fic. Take the links there, please.

Please also remember that this is NOT the place to ask for a beta, talk about a work you might be beta reading, or to promise someone you'll get their piece right back to them. There is a PM system in place for such communications. It is also not the place to chat with your co-authors about a story you're currently collaberating on.

6. This is not a role playing thread. E-romance

2. Drabba_the_Hutt

Drabba_the_Hutt Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Oooh, that new Social Thread smell. No, wait, sorry, that was me. Sorry.

3. Jedi-Ant

Jedi-Ant Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2007
    Ooh, yay! A new social thread!! :D

4. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007
    Yay! I'm glad to have a social thread again! :D

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    *Walks in* Evening, everyone.

Everyone. "Jon!"

Allie. "Jonathan."

Ah, nice to stretch out and relax. My high-school reunion is this Friday and I'm semi-freaking out about it.

6. Drabba_the_Hutt

Drabba_the_Hutt Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Feh. The important one is the 85th-year reunion. That was the one where they announced that I had won the tontine. Best $15 I ever earned.

7. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Why's that Jon? Is "she" going to be there?

EDIT: There's always a "she". That's why I haven't gone to any of mine.

8. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    I keep telling myself I should be sociable. So now this is brandie new, I'm going to give it a whirl.

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I went to both of mine. LOVED IT! All those popular people looked terrible and a lot of the geeks were looking fine. :p

It was most satisfying to walk by that old crush and think "Oh yuck..."

[face_laugh]

I've been spending the last few days going over my new Star Wars Vault. It's AMAZING. [face_hypnotized]

10. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Is this the same "she" the Monkees were singing about?

11. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Hi, Lola64. *Waves*

Sadly, Ale, yes. There is a 'she'. And I think she will be there. The one...

VaderLVR, I'm one of those geeks. :p I've put on 45 pounds since High Shcool and am in great shape, 'bulking up' from 80 pounds to 125.

12. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    *wanders in, sees new social thread*
    *starts singing Hallelujah Chorus and celebrating*
    We have our beloved social thread back! My life can continue!

13. Jturtle

Jturtle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Oh a new thread!

Yay!

Lots of fun. ;)

14. correllian_ale

Jun 20, 2005
    Whirl away lola!

MamaV, what ever is a "Star Wars Vault"?

Jon, I had one of those myself. Ran into her unexpectantly working at a Dunkin Donuts; with my little girl in tow. I felt kinda' bad later down he line when I found out how bad her personal life had become, and how regretful she had sounded at the time.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Oooo New Social Thread!

Yay!

Now I feel even less stressed than I have been all weekend.

Now the WWE just has to deliver Jericho tomorrow like they delivered Edge tonightand I will be completely stress - free!

16. DarthBerryStraw

Mar 20, 2007
    I've been surprisingly unstressed all weekend. It's funny how being out with a bad cold triples my laziness. :p

17. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I spent the weekend shopping and singing opera. The brilliant people in the opera company I sing in mailed me the music on Wednesday for a performance on Friday... grrr...

18. DarthBerryStraw

Mar 20, 2007
    Oohh,I hate having to rush while learning music. It's very irritating, especially when it wasn't your fault in the first place.

19. correllian_ale

Jun 20, 2005
    Save_Us.222!!!

The Answer is in the Code!

Ah Juliet, a woman after me own heart!

20. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Oh, **** [face_worried]

21. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Now that's just evil. I've watched my voice-major friends slave over the operas, and I'm glad I don't sing anywhere near that well.

It's still too soon for high school reunions for me, though I think there will probably be one next year. With any kind of luck I won't be around for it. Tomorrow I should find out whether or not I have an interview with Sony Imageworks, since they let me fix the mistake I made in their first round of testing. I'm optimistic, because there was only one thing wrong and I beat it into submission... but it's still nerve-wracking. Sony's a crazy huge company, and getting a job there would be a little beyond wonderful. *crosses fingers real hard*

22. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    The schools I've gone to are too small to have reunions.

I second YodaKenobi's "Oh ****."

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

:D

24. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    I think my 5th year high school reunion was supposed to be last summer, but if they had it, I wasn't told... [face_plain] Kinda makes you wonder. :p

Fortunately, I don't have a "she," even in the proverbial sense. I had the foresight to date someone who didn't go to my school. :D That, and it helps that we're dating now.

25. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Here I am in the new social thread. In unrelated news, there is a really hot pianist named Josh that I need to at least go on a date with who I met. He was playing Rachmaninoff, I'm playing Rachmaninoff, he's tall, dark and handsome, I'm short, weird-looking but somewhat funny... BUT HE PLAYS RACHMANINOFF! I played a recording of the Prelude that he was doing for Kateydidnt and she went "Wow...Okay, now I understand why you like him." Plus he's nice, funny and a piano performance major.

I am 8 days away from my 27th birthday. While the social thread was down, I completed an entire college course.

Tomorrow, I am participating in the filming of a short film. Our local church congregation has been doing a short film competition for 10 years now called The Oscars. This year, I came up with the idea for a mockumentary about people at BYU who think that they have superpowers and need to fight crime. Apart from being the creator of the idea, I'm playing a pink-lightsaber-wielding chick who thinks she can do Jedi Mind Tricks. I'm really looking forward to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.