CT "Jabba, you're a wonderful human being!"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Separatist101, Sep 24, 2013.

Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. Beezer Force Ghost

star 4
    I think we should just agree that, as is the case with so much of E4, Lucas was making things up as he went along. Sure he had an "original vision" but sometimes what you originally envision just doesn't translate well to shooting a low budget sci-fi movie under immense studio pressure. Lucas' "original vision" was the Obi-Wan was more of a crazy old coot, but I doubt any of us will criticize the way Alec Guiness played him.

When Harrison Ford spoke the lines "Jabba, you're a wonderful human being" everyone on set was thinking Jabba was human. However that scene was cut and, despite what some in here claim, deleted scenes are not canon so Lucas was free to start from scratch when filming E6.

Then, almost 20 years later when making the SE, Lucas decided to put the scene back in. The line "you're a wonderful human being" still worked because of the arrogant, cocksure manner in which Ford delivered it.

Furthermore I absolutely LOVE the way Solo shows absolutely no facial expression whatsoever when he steps on Jabba's tail. I would call it brilliant acting but I know that what really happened is that when Harrison Ford filmed the scene, he was walking around behind another actor and there was no tail to step on and the whole thing was a digital manipulation.

I have to say the scene 100% works for me, and especially with the "newer" CGI version of Jabba.
    Last edited by Beezer, Sep 26, 2013
    Seagoat and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  2. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    Han shooting first was canon- yet Lucas was still "free to start from scratch" when redoing that scene for the Special Edition.

Something being canon doesn't mean Lucas can't change it.
  3. I Are The Internets Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    Jabba was once a human but due to horrific genetic experiments that he used to try to turn himself into a more effective Sith, he become a slug.

Yes, he's actually Darth Plagieus.
  4. malaksilver Jedi Youngling

5. Master Sabira Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I feel it was Han trying to show he was in control of what was happening to him. It gave him a fearless look
  6. I Are The Internets Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    Spelling good and typing good too is awesome too.
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. TX-20 Force Ghost

star 4
    Han needs some Lasik.
  8. Kenneth Morgan Chosen One

star 4
    Not exactly diplomatic. Han was saying that he would pay Jabba because he wants to pay Jabba, not because he has to pay him. And, given Han's sarcastic nature, the line works no matter which Jabba, human or alien, is included.
  9. I Are The Internets Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    Or Han was suffering from early onset dementia and thought Jabba was a human.
  10. Seagoat Force Ghost

star 4
    Grammar is also pretty awesome.
  11. I Are The Internets Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    That was intentional. I was making subtle references to Zoolander. You know, the School for Kids Who Can't Read Good and do Other Things Good Too.
  12. kubricklynch Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I think the line works better with Jabba as a Hutt. With him as a human, it's kind of bland and unneeded.
    Revanfan1 and Sarge like this.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face