main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jacen as the hero of the NJO (Dark Journey Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gandalf the Grey, Feb 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    "Of course she will be emphasizing how Anakin had it right all along and how all this "dithering" - presumably caused by Jacen - is wrong. "

Granted, Jaina wasn't in her right mind, but in the parts where she is talking about Anakin vs. Jacen as far as philosophy goes, I felt in those parts her anger was guiding her the least. Also, it wasn't just Jaina who felt that Anakin had it right, it was Kyp as well.

I know those are two dubious examples at best, but Kyp IS a Jedi Master, and one who undergoes a rather large transformation in DJ. I'm willing to concede that the point that Anakin had it right can't be confirmed on the basis of opinions of two Jedi as aggressive as Jaina and Kyp alone...but perhaps the next two books will show more Jedi agreeing that Anakin had things right. More clear-headed Jedi, such as Corran, Ganner, Luke, etc. At the very least I'm HOPING that Anakin's death is going to have some serious implications on how the Order is run, post-Vong. Anything less would dishonor his death.

JMA

2. Wyl_Transerwnnyr

Wyl_Transerwnnyr Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    I think I see where we're headed with this. Jacen does make sense as the one who will save the day. I know I've poked fun at him in the past, but in all honesty, he has been the most mature and serious of all the jedi. He is the one who is actually considering the consequences of his actions on himself, and others. It is not a bad thing that he often doubts he is doing the right thing, because that means that he is aware of the effects his actions can have. While the more "practical" jedi just jump in and say, "let's kick some Vong arse," Jacen actually has the sense to ask himself what the consequences of simply kicking Vong arse really are. Jacen in concerned with maintaining some degree of objectivity, while many of the others are content to let the ends justify the means.

3. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    he has been the most mature and serious of all the jedi.

And yet the galaxy was saved in RotJ by a farm kid from a backwater hole of a planet, with nothin but his dreams to guide him.

If you want serious and mature, Kam Solusar should be the one to save the galaxy then.

JMA

4. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Quickly . . .

You don't believe Jacen is Jaina's twin just like Luke is Leia's twin? Uhm okay...

As for following in Luke's footsteps, we can probably find shades of Luke in both Anakin and Jacen. But I believe the one aspect which defined Luke rather than mold him into this hackneyed action hero, is Luke's restraint during the moment of truth (as Anakin SkySolo already points out). Rather than waving around his lightsaber at every turn, Luke stood against the wishes of Obi-Wan and Yoda, who clearly trained Luke to face, fight and defeat Vader.

Just as Luke deviates from the path forced upon him by Yoda & Obi-Wan, so too does Jacen now deviate from Luke's traditional Jedi paths (challenging Luke as early as VP). Anakin Solo wants to be a hero and jumps, leaps and flies into the air at every turn. Jacen could care less about being a hero.

This restraint and acting as an absolute last resort embodies the true nature of what it means to be a Jedi IMO.

Ok, that wasn't very quickly at all, I apologize... :D

5. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    "You don't believe Jacen is Jaina's twin just like Luke is Leia's twin? Uhm okay...

*sigh* I thought it was clear we were talking about "spiritual" twin here. Outlooks on the Force, etc. Similarities between Luke and Jacen. Obviously I misunderstood.

Obviously I understand that Jacen and Jaina are twins. I guess I made the mistake of understanding that that was just assumed...

JMA

6. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    ""You don't believe Jacen is Jaina's twin just like Luke is Leia's twin? Uhm okay..."

I think JMA received the wrong meaning from your post because you left out a word,-Vergere-. Your original sentence said "also a twin Luke himself?" When I read this I just assumed you forgot the word "like", as in: "also a twin like Luke himself?"

Clearly, JMA interpreted this differently and thought you were calling Jacen a "twin of Luke", as in following in his footsteps. You two were simply on different wavelengths due to a typo.

7. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    Clearly, JMA interpreted this differently and thought you were calling Jacen a "twin of Luke", as in following in his footsteps. You two were simply on different wavelengths due to a typo.

Exactly Face. Thanks for the backup.

JMA

8. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    No problem, JMA. I'd hate to see a good debate get sidetracked by a typo.

9. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I completely agree with the original post. Right from VP I've been thinking this. Who would have thought that Del Rey would push Anaki as the hero for 2 years? I pictured Jacen as the hero, with Jaina and Anakin tagging along. Seems like I might be partly right.

wk

10. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Yep.

And the remarkable part about it all is that Jacen can aggravate his strongest supporters at times. :p

11. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I pictured Jacen as the hero, with Jaina and Anakin tagging along. Seems like I might be partly right

I hope Anakin doesn't tag along, the smell would be unbearable :)

12. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
  13. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Unless Jacen started acting like the Gamorrean in Tales from Jabba's Palace :)

14. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Anakin Solo wants to be a hero and jumps, leaps and flies into the air at every turn. Jacen could care less about being a hero.

Very nicely put.

I think that Anakin and Jacen both share some of Luke?s characteristics.

Anakin is Luke pre-Bespin. He?s young, he?s invincible, he?s strong in the Force, and he?s been tested before but he has always won convincingly in the end. He?s one of the best warriors in the galaxy, and a great pilot. He?s on a quest to destroy the Evil Empire terrorizing the galaxy. He no longer has any self doubt. He jumps right into the middle of the action, and comes out unscathed? until he meets his destiny.

Jacen is Luke as he was after Bespin. Suddenly, he?s realized just what a treacherous path that he walks on, just how foolish he?s been. The battle lines that were once black and white are now in shades of grey. His allies are not always really all that good, his enemies not always completely evil. He suspects that his lightsaber does not have the answers he?s looking for, and he goes deeper, looking for another way.

15. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Very night insight, Gandolf, I couldn't agree with you more. Rabid Anakin Solo fans have presented, rather aggressively, the reasons why Anakin Solo should be the one to become the Hero of the NJO, but rarely do you see someone present a well thought out post about the reasons why Jacen should be the hero. I've always known from the beginning that Jacen was the hero, but got side-tracked when they started to put all of this hype on Anakin during the EOV series in order to throw us a bone.

Anakin Solo wants to be a hero and jumps, leaps and flies into the air at every turn. Jacen could care less about being a hero.

I also agree with Gandolf about your analogy -Vergere- the reason why I've disliked Anakin Solo so much in the past is not only all of the hype that's been put onto him, but also because of the fact that we have someone else trying to play hero at an immature level. Having already experianced that once before with Luke was ok, going through it again was unbearable. And all that Anakin's done before in the past is not wholly impressive, gee, he saved another planet, what other Jedi hasn't done that before?

Of course, I'd better shut my yap before those rabid Anakin Solo fans come and have me burnt at the stake :p

16. Nighthawk_Andy

Nighthawk_Andy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2001
    i completely agree with you Gandolf....and I really cannot wait for Traitor!

btw excellent thread.

17. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Yeah, Traitor really should be something else.
    I'd better shut my yap before those rabid Anakin Solo fans come and have me burnt at the stake
    [face_laugh] ;)

18. jaeger

jaeger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2001
    Personally I think han will be the one to save the galaxy from the Vong in the end and die doing it. Since Vector Prime they've killed people close to Han and had Han become very over protective. I think by the end of the series Han will sacriface himself to destory the Vong Fleet killing himself and destorying the Falcon to protect those he cares about that are still alive (maybe even have him feel the force for the first time rightb efore he dies)

19. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    "Of course, I'd better shut my yap before those rabid Anakin Solo fans come and have me burnt at the stake "

Well, we wouldn't want to offend those rabid Jacen Solo fans...

:p ;)

JMA

20. DarthCow

DarthCow Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2002
    I assume that Vergere is the same Vergere, the Missing Jedi Apprentice that Obi-Wan and Anakin were sent out to find in the book Rogue Planet?

21. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I assume that Vergere is the same Vergere, the Missing Jedi Apprentice that Obi-Wan and Anakin were sent out to find in the book Rogue Planet?

That?s right.

22. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    I seriously doubt any of the remaining OT characters will die.
    [Anakin Solo or Luke pre-Bespin] no longer has any self doubt. He jumps right into the middle of the action, and comes out unscathed? until he meets his destiny.
    Nice parallel.
    [Jacen or Luke post-Bespin] suspects that his lightsaber does not have the answers he?s looking for, and he goes deeper, looking for another way.
    Another elegant comparison. This Luke sounds rather interesting. And this quality seems to define his character.

23. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Well I guess my comments about Anakin Solo was a bit harsh, but I'm peeved at him for the moment. And my Rabid Anakin Solo fan comment was really directed to a few A. Solo fans I know who just takes things too personally.

And I really couldn't see why people were saying Anakin was so much like Luke since I always thought Jacen bore the personality resemblance, but then Gandolf pointed ANH Luke to half way ESB, and then I saw it somewhat. I still think Jacen is still more like Luke though, at one point he did have dreams of victory too, but eventually he became a more mature character. The hero's journey is definitely marked all over him, there's even a part of it where the hero is supposed to make a journey through death, either literally or in a symbolic way... I really need to brush up on my mythology :p

24. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I doubt it will be Han. As much as I like Han I think it will be a Jedi or a group of Jedi that turns this tide. Jacen was always my first choice too. Well Ok for a little while I thought it would be Anakin. They sure played him up for a while there. After BP I was sure it was Jacen. Great thoughts Gandolf. I totally agree with you 100%.

P.s. he may not be the one to turn the tide but I am sure Han Solo will have his finger in that pie when all is said and done. I get the feeling him and Leia may be dishing out some serious payback over the next couple of books.

25. DarthCow

DarthCow Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2002
    I have to agree, Jacen will probably be the "next Luke Skywalker". Han will more than likely have his thumb in it..but as for the characters from the movies well...in the words of Ben Kenobi "Im getting to old for this sort of thing".
    Vergere will also play a major part I believe, I mean she is a Jedi who's lived with the Vong for about..well Close to fifty years I assume so Im looking forward to seeing what she does if she Joins the Defeated New Republic, or Fights the Vong from the Inside.

PS: What Ever Happened to Boba Fett?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.