main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN Jacen is close to getting his new name...

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Mike-El, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike-El

Mike-El Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2006
    I read that the Official Star Wars website has released the 5 or so names that Hyperspace members can vote on.

Go there to check it out.

2. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Well I put my vote in on Jacen Solo's Sith Lord name. Here are the choices I had to pick from-

Darth...

Acheron
    Caedus
    Judicar
    Paxis
    Taral

I picked Darth Acheron for Jacen Solo. I'm a long-time fan of the ALIEN movies. The planet found by the Nostromo was later given the name Acheron. So in homage to the first two ALIEN movies I picked Acheron. That term Acheron translates as 'river of woe'. Jacen Solo is now navigating the 'river of woe' as he attempts to enforce order on that galaxy far, far away. What about the rest of you? What were your picks and why?

3. Edric-The-White

Edric-The-White Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    I did not vote.

However, I have a different Darth name for Jacen Solo

POSSIBLE SPOILER

DARTH KRAYT

4. Fistofury

Fistofury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    I was not impressed with any of them. I've heard of others people submitted that were much better.

5. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    I agree. I tried to think of each of the names as if I was reading them in the book... Then I realized I don't know what its like to read a book. :oops:

I will vote, but it will be like voting for local political offices...

6. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I was so sure I had it won.

I submitted Darth Retardo.

7. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I'm kinda surprised that Darth Lector was not a choice. I mean would it not be funny if Jacen Solo decided to eat Ben Skywalker. Then after his meal Lord Lector turns to the reader and speaks the following in a Sling Blade voice- "Uh-huh, that there's some good youngling I reckon. Needs some nerfloaf though."
    [face_devil]
    [face_skull]

8. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Huh? So Darth Jammies didn't make it.

9. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    How's about Darth Pookey?

Peace,

Edric

10. JediMasterJaina

JediMasterJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2003
    I'm not so sure about this voting for his name thing. Jacen is supposed to pick his name after much thought and meditation and none of these names, save one or two, sounds like something he would pick.

Acheron: river of woe
    Now Jacen, from what I understand, doesn't believe that he is doing the wrong thing. In fact, he believes that he is going to bring piece to the galaxy and prevent war from happening. I like the sound of the name, but it just doesn't fit with Jacen's motives.

Caedus: from the latin meaning 'wolf'
    Again, I fail to see the reasoning behind this...unless Jacen is trying to say he's a 'lone wolf', but honestly, it takes too much explaining to do that. IMO, a sith name should convey what you're about just from its meaning alone. You shouldn't have to explain it.

Judicar: spanish verb meaning 'to judge'
    I can see this one happening. Jacen believes himself in a position to judge the state of the galaxy and decide its future. Simple, and you know exactly what he's going to do.

Paxis: latin for 'peace'
    Again, this one could happen. Jacen is fully invested in the idea of bringing peace to the galaxy, he just doesn't realize he's going about it in the wrong way. I can definetly see Jacen picking this one in the book.

Taral: hindu for 'Honeybee'
    I got nothin. Best I can come up with is that it stems from his love for animals...? But once people know the meaning of Taral, I highly doubt Darth Taral is going to strike fear into the hearts of anyone, least of all a honeybee.

If I had a pick, I'd go with Paxis or Judicar. I have a feeling that Paxis is going to win out, and if it doesn't, Lucas will make it win. :p

11. Mike-El

Mike-El Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2006
    Isn't Paxis also the name of a Klingon moon?

I kinda like it though.

Lord Paxis
    Darth Paxis

edit: It was Praxis

12. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    Here is my serious thought.

Darth Vader was made to sound like Dark Father

Jacen should sound like Dark Son.....Darth Zun, perhaps?

Peace,
    Edric

13. Darth_TKD

Darth_TKD Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2002
    As a perpetual Latin student (read: Latin geek), I feel compelled to point out that paxis isn't a Latin word. Pax does mean peace, but the other forms of the word are based on the stem pac-, not pax-. Pacis is the genitive (Latin version of the possessive case) singular, meaning "of peace." However the form paxis doesn't exist in Latin; it's just an Anglicization. Somebody probably though an x looked cooler than a c. :)

:-B

14. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    Is Wilhelmus Latin? :D

15. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Deutsch, I believe.

16. yoda_pimp

yoda_pimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    I finally looked at the list and thought that they all suck badly. I think I will go with caedus since it means to fall or kill ( http://catholic.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookit.pl?latin=Caedus ). He has fallen and I think he will be responsible for someone majors death soon.

17. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Right you are! I'm sure it means something in Latin, too. It means something to everybody! :p

18. Darth_TKD

Darth_TKD Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2002
    Here's the story on Wilhelums, in regards to Latin at least. Latin is a highly inflected language, that is it depends upon endings to signify a word's use in the sentence, rather than word order (as English does). That means, when foreign names are brought into Latin, they must either come in as indeclinables (words without endings, which require non-standard usage of prepositions to make up for the lack of endings), or they must be Latinized (my name is Nathaniensis Vheatlius in Latin). I don't know much about German, but I'm pretty sure German doesn't have a -us ending, which is a common ending in Latin. Therefore, I'm guessing that Wilhelmus is a Latinization of the German name Wilhelm.

As for caedus, again that form doesn't exist in Latin. To complicate things, Notre Dame's dictionary is wrong in its definition of caedo--someone has gotten caedo mixed up with cado, which means fall or die (I checked this with a couple of my own Latin dictionaries). Caedo means to hack or chop at, strike, beat or fell; it can in certain instances mean kill, but never fall. The closest forms to caedus are caesus, which means (man who is) chopped, struck, or felled, and caeduus, which is an adjective meaning ready for felling.

The Latin word for wolf, by the way, is lupus.

19. JediMasterJaina

JediMasterJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2003
    I came up with those meanings based on what I could find online...so I know they're not perfect. *shrugs* But I just got this from wookieepedia

"The finalist names are: Acheron (a river in Hell for those who deny justice), Caedus (a battle of darkness), Judicar (the final judge), Paxis (bringer of peace) and Taral (ancient Sith for "he who protects")"

I would really like to know where they got their meanings from...

20. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    You just wanna learn Ancient Sith :p

21. jediravenclaw

jediravenclaw Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2004
    awww, the latin geek got to that before the Harry Potter geek.
    shucks ;)

hey hey...JMJ, you are on the roster for the Quidditch Club aren't you? C'mon! Remus Lupin is totally named after lupis/wolf. ^_^ *The ex vice pres shakes her head*

:p

SIGN ME UP TOO! W00T! XD

22. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    I'd be signed up if I wasn't in the process of learning Mando'a as is :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.