main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Jacen Solo Fan Club: Forever in the Light

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by -Vergere-, Oct 14, 2001.

1. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    YJKs are Jaina and Jacen's story, while JJKs are focused on Anakin. And yes, JJK happened before YJK. Anakin was 11 at the beginning of JJK, and Jaina and Jacen was 12 at the beginning of YJK. If memory serves, officially (from EGtC, I guess), Anakin was taking an elementary course at the Academy which the twins just finished, and the twins were taking a vocation with their parents back at Coruscant.

2. Rogue-Jedi

Rogue-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2001
    Count me in, but I only bash the people I'm supposed to bash, ( like kyp, borsk, vong, etc.) Anyway, I liked his jokes, even if they're bad.

With the cameos of siblings, apparently they do their lessons on a cycle: Jaina and Jacen for a period of time, then Anakin would learn while they spend some time at home.

Anyway, i'll read you later.

3. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Welcome, Rogue-Jedi!

Updated team :
    • ForceAlly
    • Balance_Point
    • I-poodoo
    • JediJSolo
    • Jedi_Aub
    • Piett_clone
    • Alderaan_
    • addyjedi
    • _admiral_kettch_
    • Jacean_Solo
    • Rogue-Jedi

• -Vergere-
    If any of you see any mistakes, omissions, etc, definitely point them out!

4. ForceAlly

Oct 4, 2001
    Here is the silly joke I mentioned that Tenel Ka said:

"We do not want all of the injured students to come away with us and leave Master Skywalker alone."
    "Why would you worry about that?"
    "Because, a Jedi must have patients."

A lot to learn, this young apprentice has :p

5. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Thanks for the clarification between the JJK and YJK, ForceAlly.

Discussion Topics:
    We are still trying to determine Jacen's role reversal from the YJK to the NJO. Here's what we have so far:
    • Anakin's brash and unthinking use of the Force made Jacen think
    • Jacen's labored jokes hid a more personal, introspective side
    • A few months between the end of the YJK and the beginning of the NJO supposedly allowing plenty of time for a complete role reversal
    Others?

Finally, I thought we'd start on that biography for Jacen pre-NJO. I know Balance_Point already mentioned collecting every EU book with Jacen, so here's what I suggest:
    • For those that have read the EU prior to the NJO, simply pick one book with Jacen and talk about his role in it. It doesn't have to be completely objective - add some personal opinions where ever you feel necessary.
    • Tie in your book by briefly talking about the previous book and setting up the following book chronologically. Keep in mind Jacen's bigger picture when doing this.
    • You may need to talk about the broader storyline and plot in the particular book you're writing up. Obviusly, talk about the plot and other characters at your discretion. Jacen isn't a complete hermit ;)
    • Finally, make sure to mention what book you're going to write up in here so we don't have more than one person doing the same book

Some of you may have to do more than one book. In the end, I'm going bring all of our individual pieces together in one complete biography of Jacen prior to the NJO. I will post the biography on the Lit board and in here, noting the appropriate authors who take part in this. If you have any suggestions, comments or questions regarding this, feel free to speak up!

6. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    FA: hah!

7. ForceAlly

Oct 4, 2001
    Okey, I'll do YJK #1 through #6, but please wait till this weekend.

Lots work to do :mad:

Maybe Thrawn's Trilogy, too. After, he was just born then [face_devil]

8. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    ForceAlly: you sure you want to do all those? Maybe just work on YJK #1-6 for now and give others a chance?

BTW, please work on this during your free time. Whenever all of you have posted your pieces in here, I will bring it together and post it on the Lit board. There are no time constraints or deadlines involved obviously :)

9. Jacean_Solo

Jacean_Solo Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2001
    I've read every EU novel prior to the NJO. I can do which ever ones no one wants, or if any of ya'll have any questions...just ask. I'll do the Jedi Academy Triolgy. I don't think that Jacen was very prominent in it until Luke went into a "coma."

10. ForceAlly

Oct 4, 2001
    I've completed Jaina and Jacen's bio at Thrawn's Trilogy. Hope this will be better than "At the campaign againsting Thrawn, the twin was born." :D

Five years past RotJ, One year after Han and Leia's marriage, Leia was pregnant. She had a girl and a boy, both were strong in the Force.

At that time, Grand Admiral Thrawn, one of the Empire's most genius strategist, had come back from the Unknown Region. To restore the New Order to the galaxy, Thrawn sought the help of Joruus C'baoth, a mad clone Jedi Master. In return for his help, Thrawn promised him the unborn Jedi twins as his apprentices.

Avoiding Thrawn's chase, with the twins grow inside her and Chewie's company, Leia sought shelters first at Kashyyyk and then at Noghri's homeworld, Honoghr. Finally back to Coruscant, with his husband at her side, Leia gave birth to her children. Jaina came out first, and Jacen a few minutes later.

Shortly after the twins were born, they bacame the target of a kidnapping attempt which was utterly failed because of Mara Jade. After this incident, Jaina and Jacen were put under Winter's protection and nursery through out this campaign.

11. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I think that Jacen?s reversal is simply due to personal preference. Jacen and Anakin were both apprenticed to Luke. Luke taught them new ways to use the Force to help with things like Lightsaber fighting. Anakin liked the way the Force could help him move faster, and give him more strength. Jacen liked the way the Force could help guide his movements, and give him little insights into what his opponent would be doing next. Anakin sought to increase his skills with using the Force for speed and strength, while Jacen sought to gain a better understanding of the intricacies of the Force and the best ways to let it be his guide. These interests called for different personalities. To understand the intricacies of the Force, you must understand yourself first, and so Jacen developed a quiet and introspective personality to help him with that. While Anakin, being interested in physical results, developed an outspoken and generally more aggressive personality. However, Jacen didn?t abandon using the Force for speed or strength, he just preferred trying to understand its subtleties. The reverse is also true with Anakin. Well, that is what I think anyway. There really isn?t any real evidence to support this idea. It just fits the puzzle, from my point of view.

Like I said earlier, I would be happy to sight references on occasion, but I don?t think I will be able to write part of Jacen?s bio. First, my writing skills are extremely raw, and unrefined (my occasional misspellings and bad grammar speak of this). Second, I have school to deal with, and I am actually working on writing something else right now. I wish I could help, but I have other things I need to do first.

12. Jacean_Solo

Oct 15, 2001
    For someone whose writing skills are extremely raw and unrefined, that was very well put. I like that theory on how Jacen became who he is today. It seems to fit him to perfectly. I find this scenario very likely.

13. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    I agree. Good theory, JediJSolo!

ForceAlly, thanks for clearing up a few things about JJK. I'm definitely going to have to check that series out... I'm pretty sure my bookstore still has a few lonely copies of those books. Oh, just wanted to point out that Jacen and Jaina are definitely 14 in the beginning of YJK, though. :)

For the biography, I'll volunteer to take on the Corellian Trilogy if that's ok with everyone. Those are still some of my favorite EU books.

Jacen quote of the day: "Your jokes cannot distract me, Jacen. I do not find them humorous." -Tenel Ka
    "I know..." -Jacen (from Lightsabers)

14. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    I just want to reiterate that there's no time constraints on this Jacen Solo bio. Just do it at your leisure and for fun. JJS, no problem.. your thoughts and opinions are sufficient enough to incorporate into the bio.

Jacean_Solo, thanks for volunteering for the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

Ok, so here's what we have so far in terms who is doing what for the pre-NJO Jacen bio:
    1. ForceAlly - THE THRAWN TRILOGY(completed)
    2. Jacean_Solo - THE JEDI ACADEMY TRILOGY
    3. Balance_Point - THE CORELLIAN TRILOGY
    4. ForceAlly - YJK #1-6
    That still leaves quite a few books between the Thrawn Trilogy and the NJO still availabe, especially from the YJK era in which Jacen has a prominent role. I know ForceAlly volunteered for the YJK #1-6, but if the rest of you want to jump in here on any of the books, feel free.

I did want to appoint Balace_Point to also do Balance Point from the NJO, since I'm sure that is your fav book in that era :)

I will complete the rest of the NJO unless anyone wants to do any of the books from the NJO (don't hesitate to speak up if you do). What I will do is, following the YJK and before the NJO, I will incorporate some of your theories explaining Jacen's character change. Obviously, let's hold off on SbS as far as the NJO goes. This should make for a very interesting Jacen bio with all of us working on it!

15. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    FA-"Alot to learn this young apprentice has [face-grin] "

That is a fact.

Okay Vergere I'll pick the Crystal Star since it has all 3 Solo siblings in it. They get kidnapped (which was a pretty common plot in the Bantam series) by an Imperial force sensitive trying to resurrect the Empire through Vader's grandchildren. The book was pretty much a waste of time, but I enjoyed the parts with the kids in it. Anakin was only about four or five at the time, and the twins were about six or seven.

There wasn't much to distinguish the kids though. I kept getting confused if I was reading from Jacen or Jaina's P.O.V. It turns out it was mostly Jaina's, and never Anikan's. Their personalities was really one dimensional (I'm not certain as to whether that was because they were little kids or if it was the poor writing of the author)

Finally if you want to read the book and see for yourself go right on ahead but be warned there is good reason IMO that this book is on most people's most diliked booklist.

16. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    I dunno, I thought they were really cute in it. The parts in the book that focused on the Solo kids were much better than the parts that focused on the adults, in my opinion. It's also a good tie-in to YJK, since that's the first book which really establishes Jacen as an animal-lover and Jaina as a mechanic. While the plot and writing could have been much, much better, I thought the kids redeemed the book to some extent.

-Vergere-, thanks for giving me the oppurtunity to sum up Balance Point in the biography! Hopefully I can manage it--as it's probably the book with the most Jacen focus to date, and has many parts which are open to interpretation, it's a rather big responsibility. :)

17. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    Those are indeed good points, and that is why I enjoyed their parts in the book.

While it is good to talk about where Jacen came from, i'd like to talk more about the Jacen in the NJO, afterall we are here because we agree/understand to some degree on where he's going, and what he's doing in the more recent stuff.

18. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Thanks for the Jacen-quote-of-the-day, BP!

Ok, I-poodoo, thanks for volunteering for The Crystal Star. And you're absolutely right about needing to turn our attention to where Jacen is going instead where Jacen has been in the pre-NJO.

Discussion Topic:

I know Jedi_Aub already gave us some opinions on this already, but feel free to elaborate. I will incorporate everyone's opinions as best as I can. So once again, What do y'all think of Jacen in light of the events in the NJO and where d'y'all think he's actually going?

Recap on the bio:
    1. ForceAlly - THE THRAWN TRILOGY (completed)
    2. Jacean_Solo - THE JEDI ACADEMY TRILOGY
    3. I-poodoo - THE CRYSTAL STAR
    4. Balance_Point - THE CORELLIAN TRILOGY
    5. ForceAlly - YJK #1-6
    6. -Vergere- - NJO #1-5
    7. Balance_Point - NJO #6
    8. -Vergere - NJO #7-8
    Once again, if anyone wants to do any of the NJO books that I've chosen, feel free to take them from me! I think a majority of the YJK is still open...

19. Jacean_Solo

Oct 15, 2001
    Where's Jacen going in the NJO?? Hmmmm...Let's see. Jacen is the type of person who feels he must carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. He knows he must act. He knows he can't just sit the war out. He just doesn't know yet HOW to act. Jacen is the kind of person who carries the weight of the world on his shoulders. His conscience is constantly causing him to second guess his every move. He sees people like Kyp and KNOWS that's not the way to do things. I don't know if any of ya'll caught it, but Luke and Jacen are both acting in nearly the same way. I know some people will say that's because of Mara's pregnancy and illness, but I disagree. Luke also feels that acting with aggression is wrong and could lead the whole galaxy into darkness. I think that at this point in time, Jacen and Luke are 2 of a kind. When action is called for, Jacen will take action. We've seen in the end of Balance Point, and in Rebirth that he takes a more active role. I think that we will see more this activeness in Star by Star. It's hard to say what will happen beyond this. I think after I read Star by Stay I can make a better speculation about where he will go in the future. I personally agree with what Jacen is doing. He refuses to compromise his set of morals for anyone or anything else. If nothin else, you've got to admire him for that. He's not wishy-washy either. He makes a decision and that's it. Period.

20. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    I'm in. If for no other reason than to escape the "KYP RULES!" threads.

21. ForceAlly

Oct 4, 2001
    Balance_Point
    "just wanted to point out that Jacen and Jaina are definitely 14 in the beginning of YJK"
    I knew I have done something wrong with my math ?[face_plain] Thanks!

Jacean_Solo
    "Luke and Jacen are both acting in nearly the same way"
    Ditto here. That's why I'd say Jacen will be the next Luke the other day. They both know that the Force alone is not the solution of YV invasion, and the Force itself is far more critical. Giving to the power of destruction may defeat the YV, but its consequence will be much worse than YV. Jacen know it, Luke know it, Obi-Wan know it, and Yoda know it. Only with this understanding will make a Jedi truly great.

22. Jacean_Solo

Oct 15, 2001
    Exactly Force Ally. I couldn't have said it better myself.

23. mj

mj Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 12, 1998
    Hello, just responding to the invitation. :)

In regards to any changes that Jacen has undergone, it would appear that they mostly happened when Jacen was apprenticed to Luke. I never read the end of the YJK books, so I'm not sure if he was even apprenticed in any of them.

And Jacen does not seem to be the only one who is different. All of the books I read that had Anakin (I haven't read the JJK books, so I could be waaay off) as a very brooding, silent and introspective child. Jacen actually seemed the most normal of them all, the character that reader usually views events through. I will admit he did appear a bit insecure, although what 14-year-old isn't?

Anyways, just some of my thoughts. I really think there will be some good opportunities in SbS or afterwards for Jacen to shine. Those who do not appreciate him now might grow to do so, I think. I hope...

24. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Welcome, MaceWinducannotdie & mj!

Updated team:
    • ForceAlly
    • Balance_Point
    • I-poodoo
    • JediJSolo
    • Jedi_Aub
    • Piett_clone

• Alderaan_
    • addyjedi
    • _admiral_kettch_
    • Jacean_Solo
    • Rogue-Jedi
    • MaceWinducannotdie
    • mj
    • -Vergere-
    As always, if any of you see any mistakes, omissions, etc, definitely point them out!

25. ForceAlly

Oct 4, 2001
    "In regards to any changes that Jacen has undergone, it would appear that they mostly happened when Jacen was apprenticed to Luke."

Good point! The time Luke take Jacen as apprentice is the time Luke ruminates the way of the Force most. Mara just pointed out that Luke was using the Dark Side, and gave him a new insight to the Force. Luke would certainly discuss this with his apprentices. Of his two apprentices, Jacen is most likely to accept his philosophy and gives more thought to it.

EDIT: In short: "Give the credit/blame to Luke" :p