main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Jacen Solo Fan Club: Forever in the Light

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by -Vergere-, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I'm sorry Anedon I'm going to have to back out, I've got a busy rest of the week.

2. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Yeah I see
    I guess we scrapp the list and everyone of you just takes one book and tell us about what happens between Jacen and his siblings there, we shouldn´t make it too complicated.

Or we just discuss the topic by itself. :)
    What is your opinion on Jacen and his siblings?

3. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    They were great in the beginning. Jaina and him got a long so well and they always seemed to be each other half kinda like twins usually are. I don't quite remember much about Anakin since its been a while. I do know that over time, all three of their relationships seemed to get massively strained.

4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Jaina and Jacen's relationship was certainly interesting, the fact of their twin bond and their differing interests have them a certain dynamic. As for Anakin he and Jacen were on somewhat hostile terms at the beginning of NJO they got better slowly with Anakin not firing on Centerpoint it went downhill after that.

Halle Dray likes this.
  5. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    So what did everyone think of the scene in TUF where he achieves force nirvana? What was your reaction? Was it cool or what?

xezene and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And when he recognizes Anakin Skywalker.

7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Yes that's was an amazing part of the moment. I also have to say the forever in the light is an appropriate subtitle. Because that's what Jacen deserved and that's what we as his fans knew in their heart of hearts that's where he belonged.

8. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    That was the moment when I became convinced Jacen would become the leader of the Jedi after Luke. Or that at the very least he would have a bright future as a Jedi. Alas, Denning had other ideas...

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I wonder did Denning have personal animus towards the character or what?

10. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I don't think so, but who knows? It seems his original plan was to bring back Anakin Solo in Invincible, but the powers that be vetoed that plan. Also, it's obvious Denning wasn't a fan of Traitor.

11. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    So I know this may not interest some of you but I came across this fan film made of Jacen and Jaina's final fight. I thought it was pretty well made and I hope some of you enjoy it!

Sinrebirth and Anedon like this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I sent them my Missing Chapters of Invincible and they loved it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Missing chapters?

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I wrote the rest of Invincible. It was way too short a book and dealt with too little of the cast.

15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    It was a depressing book first and foremost.

Anedon likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Force Smuggler and Anedon like this.
  17. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I agree Darth Invictus. It was the most depressing book I ever read. I mean they had added this Little jokes of Jacen but that was the only thing they did for him.
    He was basically the main new character and didn´t get any respect in and out univerese in his final book. Basically everyone else came out of it but Jacen of course was murdered.
    I still don´t understand this, it was such a waste. There had been a lot of options to have him loose without dying.
    And I pity Jaina so much, she had to kill her own brother for her uncles petty vengance he wasn´t able to inflict himself.

The only good thing was that Jacen, maybe got redeemed in the end, but even that is left unclear.
    What do you think? Was Jacen redeemed in the end or not?

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Never redeemed because he never truly fell.

I just convinced my friend to start reading Jacen books - he started with the YJK stuff (his reading level is a bit lower than mine), but I'm pretty pleased.

Force Smuggler and Anedon like this.
  19. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    So you say he became one with the force after his death?

Cool I hope your friend likes Jacen. :)

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Invincible wasn't just sad in that Jacen died-it was sad in that it was disrespectful to the character. He had only what five PoV's? We didn't even see the final duel from his perspective even a character like Bane you saw the duel with Zannah from his side.

The jokes didn't help either, if they were trying to ump the tragic angle they did it poorly. I mean the whole shadow academy flashback was okay I mean it just made it more depressing

Yeah and when Han and Leia tell Jaina after she realized Caedus tracked her-"yeah girl he's an irredeemable monster who needs to be hunted down and killed with extreme prejudice. Luke and the rest of the Jedi have a similar attitude. I mean Luke's callousness is a Denning thing but the way he was written made me just despise him. Really "I'm looking forward to running him down." You are the Grandmaster it doesn't matter he killed your wife and tortured your son you shouldn't be operating out of vengeance! Kenth Hamner acts like a mafia don when he tells Jaina to completely negate the possibility of capture even if it is an option. So if Caedus was incapacitated or surrenders you still kill him?

It was terrible.

21. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I agree Darth Invictus

Well it was alsoin NJO when Chewie died Han felt way more sadder than when his own son died.
    And I think we can all agree that LoF was written with the purpose to destroy Jacen's character and than kill him. Because a lot of fans where demaning it. And maybe they wanted closer ties to the prequels so they decided to let another member of the familygo dark and Jacen was the only choice.
    I must say this book is the reason I don't enjoy the OT not so much anymore because Han Leia and Luke have lost my sympathy. I just can't root for them anymore,I mean plotting to kill the own child seems to me as the worst thing a person can do, that's just sick. But I guess you will disagree here.

Yeah Luke is such a hypoctie he forgave Vader and Mara almost instantly but Jacen wouldn't get this chance. One could really ask oneself if he can still be seen as a Jedi after this.
    And as I said letting Jaina do it was even worse. She was allways so close to Jacen and now this? Especally after Jacen begged her to end the fight. It was pretty much murder.
    That was so OOC.

22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Also remember Jaina's self serving justification of "I'm killing him because I love hm." That's was just sick. Even palpatine didn't think like that.

I mean that's cynical justification for murder if I ever saw one.

23. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I remeber that Darth Invictus and I agree with Palaptine.

I could easily give you a list of villans in SW and other works of fiction who acted far more moral and decent than the Skywlaker/Solos did.
    Although I see Jaina more as a victim in this, she at least felt sorry for killing Jacen, she had a breakdown after it, while her parents played happy family with Allana.
    Yeah I know their opinions changed later too but still, it is wrong for parents to react this way to their sons death.

I remeber this Quote from ASOIAF:
    It´s one thing to kill your enemy but another thing to robb him of his honor, that isn´t right.

I think that´s what happened to Jacen, in universe and out. That is what buggs me so much.

24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah I agree with Anedon-the fans for whatever reasons wanted him gone. The writers(Denning) didn't like or respect the character and the EU went down hill from there.

I can understand why people are upset about no SOTJ but the next generation was for all intents and purposes gone. Ben was about 20 and didn't have any sort of YJK, Jaina was married and was about to start producing the Fel dynasty. What else could she have done? She was a master and fulfilled the SOTJ prophecy which was terrible(Jacen died!). Allana was only around 10 and she had a life ahead. All the other YJK characters would never have gotten any attention. At least Zekk got a beautiful woman.

It's just terrible what they did to the character. IU and OU. Both the character of Jacen Solo and and concept of Jacen Solo were utterly trashed.

It's just really and indictment of Lucasfilm and Del Rey.

Anedon likes this.
  25. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I agree Darth Invictus, I don´t think SOTJ would have been the wonder everyone expected it to be. It might have become a decent story but the settings was just to damaged, with most intersting characters dead.

For me SW was over after Jacen´s death, as simple was that, there was no motivation for me to read on. I don´t see how SOTJ should have fixed that all. I mean it would probably become even more insulting to the charcaters, maybe with Allana parsing Jaina her heroine for killing Jacen or so. Remeber FoJ made him a rapist. It´s just sad what they have done to him, but I guess fans love sacrastic fighters more than complex characters.

It´s very sad as Jacen was one of the few male charcters in SW who wasn´t a cliche.