main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Jacen Solo Fan Club: Forever in the Light

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by -Vergere-, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Was there ever clearly said he wasn't redeemed?
    Jaina said he was and her perspective is probably the most relyable.

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Jaina dismisses it in the epilogue and it's made pretty clear the state of his soul in FOTJ, though there was ambiguity in the last chapters of Invincible.

3. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well what was said in FOTJ concretly?
    I just read one scene close before the end were he seemed to be Jacen again and somewhat redeemed.

4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    In Abyss he still is quite the Sith Lord-and Apocalypse he doesn't change into Jacen until Luke calls him that.

5. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    So you think Luke saved his soul?

6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I wouldn't say so, maybe he was working for redemption in the afterlife but in Abyss he tells Ben he is in "damnation"

7. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    So despite never being as brutal as Vader and making a more serious attempt of redemibg himself he went to hell?
    (I mean Vader was already dying when he turned against the emperor while Jacen sacrificed his life)

8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Indeed what a tragedy

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Jacen Solo killed billions in a four month reign as Dark Lord. He was easily as brutal as Vader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Never should have happened.

RK_Striker_JK_5 likes this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Killed billions? Let's list what he did-bombarded Kashyyk, bombarded Fondor, put corellians and Bothans in detention camps, abrogated civil liberties, and usurped a lawful government using both force and deception while conspiring with Niathal and G'sil. As it was with Kasshyk-from a moral standpoint it was terrible-however Kashyyyk was about to or had seceded from the GA and was operating in open rebellion, the fondorians had surrendered yes-but they had also seceded and were a strategic target-both were regrettable but necessary, as for his actions with the GAG-undemocratic, oppressive yet arguably justified given Corellian and Bothan support for terrorism and the dubious loyalty of their Coruscant populations.

Anedon likes this.
  12. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I agree to that Darth Invictus
    Compared to other Sith Caedus was fairly moderate, he never committed deliberatly mass murder what both Vader and the Emperor did. Bombing this planets was harsh but they rebelled against him and who rebels has to live with the consquenses. Caedus did what he had to do, but was never a sadist. He helped the galaxy with his actions, Vader only cared for himself. Jacen gave his life to prevent a dark future, Vader never did as he was already dying when he truned. There was no sacrifice in it.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't know that Vader was dying "when he turned from the Dark Side"- all Luke had done at that point was chop off his artificial hand and knock Vader to the floor. It was Palpatine's lightning that inflicted fatal damage on Vader - and that lightning did not hit Vader till he started carrying Palpatine to the pit.

The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader:

Vader watched Luke curl into a fetal position as the Emperor hurled an even more staggering wave of lightning at his victim. Vader had no doubt that Luke was about to die. His son screamed.
    Not just my son...
    The Emperor unleashed another round of lightning.
    ...or Padme's son...
    Luke screamed louder
    ...but my son... who loves me....
    Luke's clothes began to smolder as his body involuntarily spasmed. Suddenly, Vader realized that he was no longer concerned about his own personal future. Despite all the terrible, unspeakable things he'd done in his life, he knew he could not stand by and allow the Emperor to kill Luke. And, in that moment of awareness he was Darth Vader no more. He was Anakin Skywalker.

ROTJ Junior Novelization:

And then, in a moment, something changed. Perhaps he remembered something heard in his youth a long time ago: an ancient prophecy of the Chosen One who would bring balance to the Force. Perhaps the vague outlines of someone named Shmi and a Jedi named Qui-Gon struggled to the surface of his consciousness. The most powerful, the most repressed thought of all could have emerged from the darkness: Padme... and her undying love for someone he once knew well. And despite all the terrible, unspeakable things he'd done in his life, he suddenly realized he could not stand by and allow the Emperor to kill their son. And in that moment, he was no longer Darth Vader. He was Anakin Skywalker.

Amon_Amarth and Halle Dray like this.
  14. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Maybe he wasn't dying but he had lost the duel against Luke. He had proven himself weak. I guess when he had done nothing the emperor would have killed him shortly afterwards.

And he turned to the darkside for selfish reasons in the first place, Jacen's reason was pure selfless idealism. He wanted to protect the galaxy and fought against those opposing him. Even Caedus rarely attacked someone who wasn't his enemy. In contrast to Vader who slaughtered children and civilians alike. So saying that Jacen was worse than Vader is just wrong, he never came even close to his grandfathers selfish cruelity.
    It's just that Vader is a beloved movie character and Jacen one of the most disliked novel characters, that's the reason people like and forgive Vader but condem Jacen.

15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Precisely Anedon precisely Jacen and Vader's motivations are as different as night and day.

Anedon likes this.
  16. Lara Solo

Lara Solo Jedi Knight

Nov 8, 2016
    I really loved Jacen right up till the point he went evil, then I embarked on a twisted love hate relationship but I'd still say he was one of the best EU characters

xezene and Anedon like this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I found every decision he made inexorably reasonable and logical and then he burned Kashyyyk and I lost him.

Got him back in time for Invincible.

And then he died.

To be fair my favourite parts of FotJ were the two times we saw him!

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Well Kashyyyk was operating in near open rebellion against his government, what did you expect him to do? Politely say sure guess you don't like me feel free to join the confederation which is planning on creating a new map of galactic power and while harboring Jedi and other terrorists?

Anedon likes this.
  19. Lara Solo

Lara Solo Jedi Knight

Nov 8, 2016
    Jacen forgot to take his happy pills that morning :)

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh I don't disagree with him moving against Kashyyyk, but the logic of him burning the trees to lure the Confederation from the Core was chilling.

And, when the Hapans left the Alliance - completely redundant, as the Confederates captured Kuat anyway and Jacen had to retake it.

It summed up the point where his methods were too extreme to save the galaxy any further; when he broke the Galactic Alliance he was trying to save.

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Kuat was a valuable planet strategic value and all. With the Hapans bailing yeah that showed he probably overplayed his hand. But Jacen/Caedus never was that talented a politician.

I do laud the fact that he is willing to arrest his parents when it becomes clear you know they have flown with and supported and insurgent government. Takes a lot of conviction to be willing to try mom and dad for treason.

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Agreed. Turning Jacen Sith or even Dark Side was the final nail in the coffin for me. Abject stupidity that's probably measurably worse than the kirffin' Holiday Special.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  23. Lara Solo

Lara Solo Jedi Knight

Nov 8, 2016
    Now this is just the view of a tomb raiding Sith girl but personally I allways thought Jacen had more in common with Mace and Obi then his child killing grandfather. To me he seemed the far more levelheaded of his siblings and I'd of found it far more fitting for either of them to of gone dark, though I admit as a Jacen fangirl my view on this matter might be clouded hehehe :)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    …Still preferred him as Jacen. Liked Caedus, but just never quite meshed with me perfectly.

I take it Caedus is decently high up on your favorite Sith list, Sinre?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  25. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    There was literally nothing good or sane or even smart about turning Jacen Sith/Dark Side. Then again there was almost nothing good or sane or smart of the novels post-YJK. Senseless murders of trees for horrible pieces of ((^%*&*( books. They can all burn!