main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Jacen Solo Fan Club: Forever in the Light

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by -Vergere-, Oct 14, 2001.

1. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Thanks for the positive feedback on my theory on Jacen?s personality change. :)

There are indeed similarities between Luke and Jacen?s philosophies. However, they both gained those philosophies in very different ways. And because of those differences, their philosophies are not as similar as it may seem. I see Luke as being more lenient than Jacen; some times he might even be too lenient. Jacen, on the other hand, is inclined to be too rigid (as much as I like the guy, he isn?t without his imperfections). I see Jacen as more of a Yoda than a Luke. Both Yoda and Jacen are strict in there beliefs. They are both peaceful Jedi, and they both even have a talent for seeing the future (I think Jacen has had more visions in the NJO than Luke has). I don?t know what Yoda?s philosophy on the YV would have been, but I think that he wouldn?t have been very opposed to Jacen?s ideas.

?And Jacen does not seem to be the only one who is different. All of the books I read that had Anakin (I haven't read the JJK books, so I could be waaay off) as a very brooding, silent and introspective child.?

I agree with you, mj. I tried to give what I think could be a partial explanation for Anakin?s change in my theory that I stated earlier.

2. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    "I see Jacen as more of a Yoda than a Luke."

If only Jacen's humor is as good as Yoda's. Guess that's what living for 900 years will give you :p

3. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    If only Jacen's humor is as good as Yoda's.
    We can only hope!

4. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    I thought I was done with that Kyp, hero or villain thread but they drew me back in!

Aaaaaaaaahhhhh! :mad:

The clash between Kyp and Jacen supporters is intense! No one is going to change the other's opinion so I don't even know why I bother :(

5. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Well, in only four years Jacen's humor progressed from "Why did the Bantha cross the Dune Sea?" to "I pillage; therefore I am," so maybe there's hope for the kid yet. :)

6. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    In JJK #1, Anakin tells Tahiri that Jacen is always getting in trouble. But didn't Anakin keep melting droids and stuff and blaming it on Jacen and Jaina when they were younger?

7. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    I agree with you Balance_Point. Just think of what kind of witty retorts he could come up with if he continued to progress like that and actually lived to be as old as Yoda did. :)

Alderaan_, actually, if I remember that scene in the Corellian Trilogy correctly, Anakin tried to take credit for that, but no one really believed him.

Vergere: ?The clash between Kyp and Jacen supporters is intense! No one is going to change the other's opinion so I don't even know why I bother?

I understand what you?re talking about. I learned a while ago that it is useless to try and change the minds of the strong Kyp supporters. Now I just try to state my opinion on the matter, and try to point out what I consider to be flaws in the reasons for the opposition?s beliefs (not the beliefs themselves). I always try to keep in mind that trying to convert is not my goal. My goal is to explain, and correct, with as much politeness as possible. I don?t succeed at that very often, but it is my goal in a situation like that.

8. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Hi, everyone!

I like Jacen, even in the NJO series. I got so sick of everyone complaining about Jacen being an annoying character that I wrote a fanfic in which he resolved some of his philosophical issues, and readers who hated Jacen loved this story. So, I think once Jacen isn't being a typical teenager anymore, people will like him. That's my two credits.

Oh, can I join?
    Mel

9. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Melyanna, of course you can join! Welcome!
    I think once Jacen isn't being a typical teenager anymore, people will like him.
    Only God knows when that will be ;)

Updated team :
    • ForceAlly
    • Balance_Point
    • I-poodoo
    • JediJSolo
    • Jedi_Aub
    • Piett_clone

• Alderaan_
    • addyjedi
    • _admiral_kettch_
    • Jacean_Solo
    • Rogue-Jedi
    • MaceWinducannotdie
    • mj
    • Melyanna
    • -Vergere-
    As always, if any of you see any mistakes, omissions, etc, definitely point them out!

10. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Discussion Topic:
    I was hoping for more responses from my earlier questions. What do y'all think of Jacen in light of the events in the NJO and where d'y'all think he's actually going? Try to respond and expand upon what Jacean_Solo and others have mentioned. Also, let's now try to identify Jacen's philosophies, idealogies and beliefs which have been the focal point of Jacen's character throughout the NJO. I'll start it off:
    • From the beginning, Jacen has been against setting up the Jedi Council. Jacen feels every jedi should find an answer through the Force and within themselves and not have to answer to a body to tell them what to do. A bit idealistic? Probably.

I also want to point out who's doing what on the bio. There are still a few books available to summarize Jacen in and give your opinions. Recap on the bio:
    1. ForceAlly - THE THRAWN TRILOGY {completed)
    2. Jacean_Solo - THE JEDI ACADEMY TRILOGY
    3. I-poodoo - THE CRYSTAL STAR
    4. Balance_Point - THE CORELLIAN TRILOGY
    5. ForceAlly - YJK #1-6
    6. -Vergere- - NJO #1-5
    7. Balance_Point - NJO #6
    8. -Vergere- - NJO #7-8
    Once again, if anyone wants to do any part of the NJO that I've chosen, please let me know and its yours! Also, don't forget that there is absolutely no time constraints here. Simply complete it at your own leisure.

Here's a general outline for the Jacen bio in case you missed it:
    • For those that have read the EU prior to the NJO, simply pick a book or a series of books with Jacen and talk about his role in it. It doesn't have to be completely objective - add some personal opinions where ever you feel necessary.
    • Tie in your book by briefly talking about the previous book and setting up the following book chronologically. Keep in mind Jacen's bigger picture when doing this.
    • You may need to talk about the broader storyline and plot in the particular book you're writing up. Obviusly, talk about the plot and other characters at your discretion. Jacen isn't a complete hermit ;)
    • Finally, make sure to mention what book you're going to write up in here so we don't have more than one person doing the same book

11. Jacean_Solo

Jacean_Solo Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2001
    "....because Mara had just told Luke he'd been using the dark side."

I'm glad you mentioned that. I'd forgotten 'bout readin that in Vision of the Future. Althought I don't think she quiet said it was the dark side, I understood it to be more along the lines that he was using the Force too much and too aggressively. She gave Luke kinda the same speech she gave Anakin on Dantooine in Onslaught. And you're right, because, according to the timeline, Mara just pointed this out to Luke, it would reflect on when Jacen and Anakin were apprenticed to him. So this is a likely scenario on how Jacen became so introspective, reserved, and judicial in his use of the Force. The only problem, is the time frame for this to have happened. There was only a few months between the end of YJK and the star of the NJO. That's not a whole lot of time for such a drastic personality change. So,somethin major must've happened that invovled Luke's philosophy that Jacen witnessed. I have no clue what this could be, but I feel that this is probably the case. Jacen has since almost taken this philosophy to an extreme. Now he's not quiet as reserved as he was in Balance Point. I think because of this huge debate over his philosphy, Jacen will play a HUGE part in NJO in the future. Maybe his philosophy will be the only way to beat the Yuuzhan Vong and not have the entire galaxy fall into darkness. Speculation 'bout future events I don't think is my strong point. But I do believe what Jacen is doing now is important to the future in the NJO.

12. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    I'll admit I'm not Jacen's biggest fan but I thought the way he defeated Tsavong Lah at the end of Balance Point was amazing and I respect what you're all doing here because he doesn't deserve a lot of the heat he gets in other threads.

13. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    I have to say that I agree with Jacean_Solo, Force_Ally, and others have said for the most part on where Jacen is coming from and why he acts the way he does in NJO. As for where his character is headed, well...

Jacean_Solo:

"We've seen in the end of Balance Point, and in Rebirth that he takes a more active role. I think that we will see more this activeness in Star by Star. It's hard to say what will happen beyond this. I think after I read Star by Star I can make a better speculation about where he will go in the future."

I don't think I could say it better than that. I think the events of Star by Star are going to have a huge impact on Jacen, perhaps more so than any other EU character, especially considering what we know about the book.

-SBS Spoiler Warning-

If Anakin is indeed killed by the Yuuzhan Vong in SbS, this could have a profound effect on Jacen's philosophy of using violence only as the very last option in the war. One of the reasons I'm so anxious for the book to come out is that I'm dying to see what Jacen's response will be to the events that are supposedly going to take place. With Anakin's death, and Jaina turning to/flirting with the darkside in Dark Journey as a result, how is he going to react? Jacean_Solo said he expected to see more of Jacen being active in SbS, and I agree. I also speculate that after SbS he will become even more active in the fight against the Vong, perhaps even taking over Anakin's former role to some extent. We saw Jacen realize in BP that "the darkness must be fought", and I think that after Anakin's death there will be little, if any doubt of this in his mind. I definitely think that, one way or the other, SbS will definitely be a turning point for him.

I'd continue, but I've run out of time, so I'll just leave you all with another quote... :D

Jacen quote of the day: "A scar would make me more dashing, don't you think?" (from Onslaught)

14. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    ganner_rhysode - Thanks for the support. I believe I can speak for everyone when I say that we all appreciate it!

15. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    Okay, where is Jacen going? Well, like I said, I think of Jacen as being like Yoda, so I think he will be, at least as far as personality is concerned, similar to Yoda in the future. Him being on the Jedi council (if it ever comes to be) is something that can be left up to debate. He would certainly make a good addition to any council he decides to be on. But his ideals in regards to the Jedi and a council to oversee them might prevent him from ever wanting to be on the Jedi council (Vergere talked about this some). He believes that if the Jedi are taking guidance from the Force, then they should not need any form of government to oversee them (Anne Hutchinson had a similar viewpoint, if I remember correctly).

As for Jacen?s impact on the future of the NJO, I?m trying to keep that kind of speculation to a minimum. I don?t want to get my hopes up too high. I think Jacen will play an important role, but I don?t really want to get more specific than that. However, I do have a couple ideas about Jacen?s future in general.

In the not too distant future, I see Jacen becoming a diplomat or mediator. He has already shown some talent in that, and in Rebirth he actually managed to keep a cooler head than his mother did in a meeting (could someone confirm this, I don?t remember the specifics, other than that it was in the maw installation). Some of you know that I have always hoped that Jacen would go to the Hapes cluster to help Tenel Ka with her diplomatic duties. Some of you might even know of my evil idea of Jacen going to the Dark Side, taking over the Hapes cluster, destroying the Vong with their military strength, expanding the Hapes cluster to encompass the entire Galaxy, and in essence become the new Emperor of the GFFA [face_devil] (but sadly, that will never happen :( ).

In the long run, I see Jacen becoming a father. I think he would be a wonderful father latter in his life (he might not be as good of one right now because he has other things he is worried about). However, the little matter of who the mother would be is still up for debate. I?m hopping for Tenel Ka, personally; I think it would make a very well balanced kid. But Danni has her perks too? :D

16. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    It's refreshing to find a character fan thread where the members discuss and debate things instead of just saying "This guy rocks" and so on.

17. ForceAlly

Oct 4, 2001
    Melyanna

Great story! It cause my half-day's work :p

I like what Jag planed to do with Kyp. Bacta could be a good tool for torturing [face_devil]

18. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    ganner_rhysode - Thanks once again and feel free to join in on the debate if you have something to add. Obviously, you don't have to be a "member" to take part in any of the debates we're having.

Just wanted to comment on what y'all have been talkin'about here...

Jacean_Solo -
    Maybe [Jacen's] philosophy will be the only way to beat the Yuuzhan Vong and not have the entire galaxy fall into darkness.
    A few of us have mentioned that they see Jacen taking on a proactive role against the YV in the near future. Jacen will certainly play a crucial role, but how 'action-oriented' it will be, I'm not so sure. For Jacen's ideas and philosophies to become the answer to the GFFA's problems against the YV (as Jacean_Solo suggested and which I sincerely believe in), I don't see Jacen outright taking on a more active role against the YV.

SbS SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

Balance_Point -
    I also speculate that after SbS he will become even more active in the fight against the Vong, perhaps even taking over Anakin's former role to some extent. We saw Jacen realize in BP that "the darkness must be fought", and I think that after Anakin's death there will be little, if any doubt of this in his mind.
    I will have to disagree, or at the very least, hope that Jacen does not take on Anakin's role. Although having that done to Jacen would be quite ironic, wouldn't it? I can definitely see the authors doing that to Jacen (take on Anakin's role), but I just hope that he does it in a way which does not force him to forsake his philosophies and ideas. Because philosophically, Anakin & Jacen have been polar opposites.

I think we can agree on one thing though. We are all anxiously awaiting how Jacen will respond to Anakin's supposed death. You know what has really scared me? I have this nasty idea that it isn't really Anakin that dies in SbS afterall and it will really be Jacen who dies. I sure hope not!

END SbS SPOILERS

JediJSolo -
    Some of you might even know of my evil idea of Jacen going to the Dark Side, taking over the Hapes cluster, destroying the Vong with their military strength, expanding the Hapes cluster to encompass the entire Galaxy, and in essence become the new Emperor of the GFFA
    LoL! JJS, that sounds awesome!

19. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Balance_Point -
    We saw Jacen realize in BP that "the darkness must be fought"
    You sure this was in BP? I may be mistaken, but I could have sworn that quote {"the darkness must be fought") was in Conquest when Anakin is forging a new lightsaber with the lambent.

20. Jacean_Solo

Jacean_Solo Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2001
    I think it was in Balance Point also. I seem to remember something along the lines of," The darkness must be fought. I just know that you can't fight darkness with darkness" Basically I think this means Kyp's and even Anakin's methods.

21. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Hrmmmm, Ok...

22. ForceAlly

Oct 4, 2001
    Here is the summary of YJK #1 Heirs to the Force. Being the very first book of the series, about 1/3 of this book is introducing characters and setting up background stories. So there are really no major events in this book. Still, there are some really funny scenes in this novel, like the Jedi apprentices food war, or the C-3PO programmed MTD.

--

19 years after RotJ, Jaina and Jacen were back to Luke's Jedi Academy to continue their Jedi training. Being a creature lover, Jacen had spent a month to virtually convert his room into a small zoo full of exotic animals. Inconvenient for Jacen, and unfortunate for his classmates, his pets constantly escaped from their cages build by Jaina, causing a lot trouble.

In the Academy, Jaina and Jacen had met Tenel Ka, the warrior princess from Dathmoir, who was humorless and favored physical strength rather then the Force. Later, Lowbacca, or Lowie, the nephew of Chewbacca, was brought to them by Han and Chewie. Jacen tried to show his hospitality to ease the tension of their new Wookiee classmate. The four of them soon became good friends.

When exploring the forest of Yavin IV, they found a damaged TIE Fighter crashed back at the Battle of Yavin. Repairing this fighter and adding a hyperdrive to it soon became an exercise to test their abilities, and they were enjoyed in this challenge. Little did they know that Qorl, the pilot of this fighter survived the crashed. Just when they were about to finish the repairing, Jacen, looking for a bug as always, accidentally found Qorl's hideout, and forced Qorl to catch them.

Tenel Ka and Lowie had escaped, but Jaina and Jacen became Qorl's captives. Although the twins had told him the galaxy had Changed and offered some help, Qorl refused to believe them and forced the twins to complete their job. To prevent Qorl attacking the Academy, Jaina managed some tricks with the TIE's weapon systems, while Jacen put a crystal snake in its cockpit. Received the warning from Lowie and Tenel Ka, the Falcon chased the TIE Fighter to lightspeed, saved the twins from the forest, and brought all four Jedi-to-be back to the Academy.

23. ForceAlly

Oct 4, 2001
    Oops, is this summary too long for a single book? :eek:

24. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    ForceAlly - Not at all. It's left up to the author's discretion. Looks good!

25. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    Jacen in light of the events of the NJO- I consider him to be exploring the nature of the force in the NJO. This is part of the SW tradition...Luke explored the lightside of the force in the OT, And Anakin Skywalker is exploring the darkside of the force in the prequels. Jacen I think is going on a quest to find the balance between the two (possibly a reason for one of the books being titled Balance Point).

The questions he wrestles with are "Can you act out in aggression and still be good?", and "Can aggressive acts even for good purposes ever be considered wholly good?"

Also I think Kyp in the NJO is a marvelous character foil to Jacen. For him these questions are already answered. Whereas Jacen is unsure about it Kyp is certain. In the OT Vader is luke's character foil, and in the prequels Obi-wan is Anikan's.

This is why it is my assertion that Jacen is the star character in the NJO, just as Luke is to the OT, and Anakin is in the prequels.

Where is Jacen going- I would like to think that after Jacen finishes his little philosophical quest he is on at the moment a seat at the future Jedi Council is waiting for him. (I suppose that gives weight to the Jacen is like Yoda theory).