main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Jacen Solo Fan Club: Forever in the Light

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by -Vergere-, Oct 14, 2001.

1. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    SbS SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

Since this concerns Jacen, I thought it would be pertinent to put up in here. Here is what Rebecca191 says about how Jacen will end up in SbS:
    Jacen is left behind on the Yuuzhan Vong ship over Myrkr with Vergere because if [the other jedi] went back for him their ship would have been vaped...Either Vergere will team up with him, or she'll hand him over. I hope they don't leave this hanging too long, though. Cliffhangers stink.
    Obviously, you can find all this in the main spoiler thread on the Lit board.

END SbS SPOILERS

2. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    100+ posts already for this thread! Good job, everyone, and keep it up!

3. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Thar be SbS spoilers ahead (again)...

Vergere:

"I can definitely see the authors doing that to Jacen (take on Anakin's role), but I just hope that he does it in a way which does not force him to forsake his philosophies and ideas. "

That's pretty much what I meant. I agree with what you said about Jacen and Anakin being polar opposites, and I definitely wouldn't want to see Jacen abandon his philosophies totally. I just see him filling Anakin's shoes as an important Jedi and someone many of the other Jedi admire in the future--probably sooner than later.

"I have this nasty idea that it isn't really Anakin that dies in SbS afterall and it will really be Jacen that dies. I sure hope not!"

Same here! Luckily, so far the evidence seems to support his surviving for another novel, though. :)

-End SbS Spoilers-

As for the quote "the darkness must be fought", it's probably used more than once in the NJO, but I was referring to page 309 of the Balance Point hardcover, to be precise.

"He could not fight this darkness. Not without the light of the Force. And the darkness must be fought!"

One of my favorite parts in the book. :)

ForceAlly, like the summary!

Jacen quote of the day: "The Force is a power within, for the good of within." (from Vector Prime)

4. Balance_Point

Jul 10, 2001
    [face_shocked] Nooooo, not a cliffhanger!! *prays that Dark Journey will will not focus exclusively on Jaina*

5. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    Yeah it'll suck having them leave off with Jacen in the Vong's clutches then wait a few months for the next book and then find out it has nothing to do with what's happening to him.

Nothing against Jaina, she was my favorite character in the YJK next to Tenel Ka. (Sadly not Jacen-not until VP did I really start liking him). Yet if the next book after SbS does not move on from the cliffhanger established at the end of it, I'll be sorely dissapointed.

6. Balance_Point

Jul 10, 2001
    What makes me nervous is that Jacen isn't mentioned at all in the summaries for either Dark Journey or Rebel Dream. They better not leave us hanging...

7. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    there's an old but still interesting thread on the lit forum about is Jacen a moron for not using the force.

8. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    there's an old but still interesting thread on the lit forum about is Jacen a moron for not using the force.
    Yeah, I was looking at that thread. I've actually sent some invitations to some of the Jacen supporters from that thread but I'm not sure if they're still around on these boards.

You make some good points there, I-poodoo as does a few others.

9. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    What makes me nervous is that Jacen isn't mentioned at all in the summaries for either Dark Journey or Rebel Dream. They better not leave us hanging...
    Tell me about it. Everytime I read book summaries put out by the publishers from these NJO books, I never see Jacen mentioned in any of them! I mean Anakin was definitely mentioned for Conquest, Han was mentioned for Hero's Journey, and Anakin is again mentioned (as a leader) for SbS. Of course Jaina is mentioned for DJ. Jacen is no where to be seen!

10. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001

Possible SbS SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

My theory: the editors/authors of the NJO are removing Jacen & Anakin from the storyline any way they can to "showcase" Jaina in DJ. Obviously, if I were Jaina and I find out that my one brother has been killed and the other captured, I'd be pretty ticked off too!

END SbS SPOILERS

11. Piett_clone

Piett_clone Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2000
    I truly believe Jacen will survive the entire NJO series. If for nothing else, just for namesake. Like Ben.

12. Jacean_Solo

Jacean_Solo Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2001
    I'm just really itching to have a book that focuses solely on Jacen. I know there's one supposed to come out, but does anyone know when exactly?

13. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    I'm just really itching to have a book that focuses solely on Jacen. I know there's one supposed to come out, but does anyone know when exactly?
    Well let's look at the schedule of books to be released in the NJO: (taken from unjoh.com)

HC - Hardcover T - Trilogy D - Duology YEAR ONE

Vector Prime R.A. Salvatore (HC 1)
    Available Now!

Chewbacca Miniseries: #1 Darko Macan (comic)
    Available Now!

Dark Tide: Onslaught Mike Stackpole (D)
    Available Now!

Chewbacca Miniseries: #2 Darko Macan (comic)
    Available Now!

Chewbacca Miniseries: #3 Darko Macan (comic)
    Available Now!

Chewbacca Miniseries: #4 Darko Macan (comic)
    Available Now!

Dark Tide: Ruin Mike Stackpole (D)
    Available Now!

Agents of Chaos: Hero's Trial James Luceno (D)
    Available Now!

Agents of Chaos: Jedi Eclipse James Luceno (D
    Available Now!

YEAR TWO

Balance Point Kathy Tyers (HC 2)
    Available Now!

Edge of Victory: Conquest J. Gregory Keyes (D)
    Available Now!

Edge of Victory: Rebirth J. Gregory Keyes (D)
    Available Now!

YEAR THREE

Han & Leia Troy Denning (eBook) October 2001
    Star by Star Troy Denning (HC 3)
    November 2001

Dark Journey Elaine Cunningham
    February 2002

Enemy Lines: Rebel Dream Aaron Allston (D)
    April 2002

Enemy Lines: Rebel Stand Aaron Allston (D)
    August 2002

Traitor Matthew Woodring Stover
    October 2002

YEAR FOUR

Destiny's Road Walter Jon Williams (HC 4)
    November 2002

Force Heretic: Remnant Sean Williams & Shane Dix (T)
    February 2003

Force Heretic: Refugee Sean Williams & Shane Dix (T)
    June 2003

Force Heretic: Reunion Sean Williams & Shane Dix (T)
    August 2003

Unknown Unsigned Author
    October 2003

Unknown Unsigned Author (HC 5)
    November 2003

If ou look at Year 3, we have yet to determine what Rebel Stand will be about. Traitor could possibly involve Vergere or Viqi Shesh, both of whom Jacen could have intimate ties to. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a jacen focus-book in Destiny's Road, the 4th hardcover!

14. Jacean_Solo

Oct 15, 2001
    I guess my info's outdated but I thought that the Force Heretic Triology was the last in the NJO. Glad I'm wrong. Any idea what the last 2 books will be about?

15. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    sorry for posting again, I was lurking :)

I think Jacen may be about to get "Kyp Syndrome". Basically, they make his character interesting, get something to work on............................then leave him out. For example...

SBS SPOILERS

He isnt in the audio of SbS, so doubtful he is in at all. After how it set him up in Rebirth, I find that a bit annoying, to say the least.

SPOILERS END

Hope that doesnt happen. Even though Im not a Jacen fan, I dont like dissapearing characters (Except Fel and Corran, they can stay gone :) )

16. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    About the SBS spoiler. Hey, Jacen is now team up with the person in this GFFA that knows most about YV and the original Jedi Order. How could that be a bad thing? He can learn more about the Force and Jedi tradition beyond Luke's teaching, and maybe how to stop (and I mean stop, not defeat, not annihilate) YV as well.

I like Jaina, I like Wedge, but can we skip all that, and jump straight to Jacen's book?

17. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    Nice thread, folks. I appreciate the research and discussion too!

Back to lurking . . .

18. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Thanks Shmi52 (Kathy Tyers!). I think most, if not all, the members of this fan club truly respect you and appreciate your complement.

In response to what ReaperFett said, I certainly hope that Jacen isn?t shoved aside like that. I can see it happening though. But hopefully, if they do give him something to do and just leave him out for a while, he comes back with a bang (figuratively speaking). If they have him go off to some deserted planet with some shamed one to figure out how to use the Force to sense them, or possibly just understand them better, I think I would be okay with that. Just as long as while he is gone he learns everything he wanted to learn and more. That way when he comes back, he would be the main focus of everyone?s attention again.

P.S. I?m making a very hard conscious effort to not believe any more Star by Star spoilers (I believe too many of them already). I will read the ones that show up on this thread just to understand what you are talking about, but I will not comment on them directly because I don?t want to think that they are real. It?s just a little attempt at personal psychological manipulation. I don?t know if it will work. But just in case you were wondering, that is why I?m not commenting on the spoilers directly.

19. Jacean_Solo

Oct 15, 2001
    That's Kathy Tyers!?!?! WOW...I had no idea anyone like that checked out forums like this. That's awesome!!

20. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001

Jacen is briefly mentioned in the Black Fleet Trilogy, where he is 7-8 years old. He is described as stubborn and possessing "irrepressible mischief." Fastforward a decade to the NJO. He is now stubborn enough to give up the Force, which he's really used all his life, for weeks and exhibits a mature form of mischief in sneaking out on Luke in Onslaught. Han is worried about (7 year old) Jacen's sedentary habits, quoting him as saying "Why to I have to be strong? Someday I'll be able to go anywhere I want, or get anything I want, just by thinking about it--like Uncle Luke." This reveals kind of a Force-as-a-tool mindset, which Anakin currently has. Perhaps Jacen has matured faster than his brother?

If anyone feels I've misinterpreted anything, LMK.

21. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Ok, here's what we have on an explanation of Jacen's role reversal from YJK to NJO so far:
    • Luke taught them new ways to use the Force to help with things like Lightsaber fighting. Anakin liked the way the Force could help him move faster, and give him more strength. Jacen liked the way the Force could help guide his movements, and give him little insights into what his opponent would be doing next. Anakin sought to increase his skills with using the Force for speed and strength, while Jacen sought to gain a better understanding of the intricacies of the Force and the best ways to let it be his guide. {JediJSolo)
    • Anakin's brash and unthinking use of the Force made Jacen think (I-poodoo)
    • Jacen's labored jokes hid a more personal, introspective side(Balance_Point)
    • A few months between the end of the YJK and the beginning of the NJO allowing plenty of time for a complete role reversal (Balance_Point)
    • In regards to any changes that Jacen has undergone, it would appear that they mostly happened when Jacen was apprenticed to Luke. (mj) The time Luke take Jacen as apprentice is the time Luke ruminates the way of the Force most. (ForceAlly)
    • MaceWinducannotdie - very interesting points! Are you suggesting that Jacen's characterization in the NJO isn't as drastically different from the pre-NJO as it appears to be?
    If I missed anyone's theory/opinion on this, please let me know!

Many edits ;) See above!

22. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Ms. Kathy Tyers, thanks for your words of encouragement! We all appreciate it also!

23. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    Well . . . -Vergere- . . . I like your signature quote. ;) Thanks for the kind words,
    Kathy

24. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Thank you once again, Ms. Tyers. Please feel free to "lurk" around in here and add anything to our discussions as you see fit :)

ForceAlly -
    I like Jaina, I like Wedge, but can we skip all that, and jump straight to Jacen's book?
    Boy, I couldn't agree more! And you're also right about your SbS spoiler comments.

25. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    -Vergere-

Thanks! If our speculations are proven correct, we are watching a Master maturing.

But before that, here is the summary of YJK #2 Shadow Academy. This book has two major plot-lines, one focused on the Solo twins and Lowie, the other on Luke and Tenel Ka. I only summarized events around Jacen. Luke and Tenel Ka's adventure at Dathmoir is very entertaining, but they are not our superstar here :p

In this book, Jacen actually shows his impatient side, but he also shows he can learn quickly response to a event. Oh, and from this book on, Jacen begin to show interests in Tenel Ka ;)

--

Jacen was anxious to learn to use lightsaber. When he got the chance, he toyed with Luke¡¦s lightsaber, and was caught by Luke. Luke told him he was not ready yet, but Jacen had his own ideas.

Lando invite these young Jedi to visit GemDrive, Lando¡¦s mining station above Yavin, which he used as a base to mine Corusca gems deep inside this gas planet. Occupied by personal business, Tenel Ka didn¡¦t go with Jaina, Jacen, and Lowbacca. At the station, Lando let these Jedi try their hands on collecting Corusca gems. Only Jacen was able to get one, which he plan to give to Leia as a gift.

Suddenly a Imperial task force broke into the station and kidnapped these three Jedi apprentices. They were brought to a cloaked space station known as Shadow Academy. Jaina, Jacen, and Lowie were separated and forced to be trained under Brakiss, Luke¡¦s former student, in the Dark Side. Being a captive, Jacen was bold enough to make fun at Stormtroopers in front of them. Unwillingly at first, the solo kids were lured by Brakiss to learn lightsaber techniques, and unknowingly fight each other.

Calming himself to the Force, Jacen used his Corusca gem to escape from his cell and rescue his friends. Together, they found their way to the station¡¦s docking bay, where they met with Luke and Tenel Ka, who finally traced the kidnappers to the Shadow Academy. Luke brought his four students safely back to the Jedi Academy, and warned New Republic the existence of Imperial activities.

Jacen told Luke later that he had learned from this incident that although they are physically capable, mentally they still had a lot to learn before they can take the responsibilities of using lightsabers.