main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Jacen Solo Fan Club: Forever in the Light

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by -Vergere-, Oct 14, 2001.

1. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    Oops... That's GemDiver station, not GemDrive. -Vergere-, would you correct it in the final version? Thanks!

2. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    I've been talking with a friend who has the SbyS audiobook and gives me some info on Jacen.
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    Apparently at some point Vergere saves Jacen's life. My friend is unsure what Vergere's motivation for doing this was though. Hopefully the Novel will clear this up but I'm sure you'll agree that the plot thickens and the mystery of Vergere's character deepens.
    E
    N
    D
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

3. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Firstly, welcome back Kathy, nice to see you still lurking around here.

Other bit of business though is official. If you guys are going to mention anything from SbS, please follow -Vergere-'s example and leave a lot of space before and after. One or two lines isn't enough. It's unfair for someone to walk in and inadvertantly be spoilt. Thanks.

4. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    Kadue, if that's aimed at me can you let me know because I thought I was leaving enough space but if not I'll be glad to improve matters. Thanks.

5. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    It's not aimed specifically at you, but a good rule of thumb is that a person should not be able to see the actual spoilers if the warning is at the top of the screen. I've quite often gotten a post to the top of my screen before even catching the spoiler warning, and seen the spoilers in them.

6. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    Vergere-"You made some good points in there."

Thank you, Vergere. As always you flatter me, keep it up. :D

By the way I like your signature too.
    Where's that Jacen quote from again?

Reaperfett If you post anymore in this thread I'll start considering you a convert. Not really, but feel free to post your opinions here. Nothing inspires good debate like some opposition.
    No scratch that!!! You should make a thread in the lit forum so you're friends can support you. You'll feel ganged up on if you debate against Jacen in a Jacen Solo fan club thread.

7. ForceAlly

Oct 4, 2001
    Start with YJK #3 The Lost Ones, three successive books take the read to the main character's homeworlds. In YJK#3, we actually see the family life of the Solo family, which, surprisingly, is not mentioned very much through out the EU. The major plot of this book is to introduce the character Zekk, and set plotlines for later books. As for Jacen and Tenel, they begin to work as a team, and Jacen starts to wonder why he constantly makes himself before the warrior girl.

--

The Solo twins were having a break back home, and they invited Tenel Ka and Lowbacca to join them. The Solo family had a pleasant vocation at the north pole of Coruscant, where they played, ate, chatted, and relaxed from their daily life.

Jaina and Jacen also paid a visit to their childhood friend Zekk, who lived at the lower part of Coruscant. Zekk led the Solo twins as well as Tenel Ka and Lowie under the city to search for hawk-bat eggs. When they found a nest, Jacen used Force to assure the mother hawk-bat that they would take good care of her child and took one egg from her.

The Solo twins invited Zekk to a diplomatic dinner feast at their home. With Tenel Ka's knowledge learned at her time being Hapes' princess, the dinner was very successful. However, when Zekk tried to participate, he made a mistake and managed to get himself embarrassed. Feeling shamed, Zekk hid himself deep at the lower side of Coruscant.

Couldn't found Zekk for days, his friends were worried for him. Jacen teamed up with Tenel Ka to search for Zekk at the territory of the Lost Ones, a gang of homeless children, only to find that Zekk had the potential of the Force and was willing to be trained at the Shadow Academy. Jacen and Tenel were stunned, but were left behind to send the message.

Still had a hard time believing Zekk's decision, these Jedi apprentices went back to the Jedi Academy to prepare for the upcoming conflict.

8. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Kadue - Thanks for reminding everyone including myself of being sensitive about spoiler news. Don't forget to leave plenty of space!

ForceAlly - Thanks for YJK #1-3! I'll have NJO #1 completed before the end of this weekend, maybe even before tonight!

I-poodoo -
    By the way I like your signature too. Where's that Jacen quote from again?
    From Kathy Tyers' Balance Point, of course! :) I'm going under the assumption that everyone's up-to-date on released EU books so there isn't going to be a BP spoiler warning here. Basically, Jacen speaks these words during his climactic fight against Lah and his cronies on Duro! Here's what transpires(I've read this part a few times :)):

Starting on p.312 (hardcover of BP), Jacen decides to finally open himself to the Force. It should be noted that it is here also that Jacen is able to anticipate the YV similar to how Anakin does it with the lambent later on in Conquest:
    [The Warmaster's] armor was different. Those scales grew out of his body, giving no clue where its weak spots might lie. Jacen still couldn't sense him in the Force, but now he felt a rippling of anticipation. He would know, microseconds ahead of the moment, where and when the muscular alien would attack.
    While Jacen begins to engage Lah in an exhilirating beginning to a fight sequence, the other warriors with Lah begin to surround Jacen and Jacen finally steps back realizing the stupidity of recklessness. When the other warriors begin to aid the bewildered warmaster, Jacen taunts, "How many of you does it take to kill someone you call coward?" Amazing line! At that, Jacen whips up a TK storm! Of course the details are lost without reading this section yourselves! Magnificent scene to say the least...

9. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Vergere: ?Magnificent scene to say the least...?

I agree that that was a wonderful scene. But my personal favorite would have to be the Vision scene. When I first read that scene (I can?t remember where, but it was before the book came out) I got goose bumps.

ForceAlly, nice summaries. But you forgot to mention that when Jacen tried to give the gem that he got from GemDiver station to his mother, she refused it, saying that he might find a better use for it. It?s really a small thing, but it would help to tie the summaries of books 2-4 together. And also, don?t feel like you have to keep the summary for Lightsabers short. That is probably one of, if not the, best book of that series (it also happens to he my favorite). I would ask you if I might have the honor of writing the summary for Lightsabers, but you called it first, so I?m not expecting to do it. I don?t think I would do it much better than you would, I just think I would have fun doing it.

10. ForceAlly

Oct 4, 2001
    JediJSolo

Thanks for your compliments. And thanks for the reminder of Jacen and the gem. It's a rather important scene, as you said. And I just left it up :eek: Hope you don't mind I borrow your sentence :p

And I agree Lightsaber is the all series best. It's also my favorite. I sure have fun doing it :D

-Vergere-

Would you please add this to the final version of Jacen's bio, following the first paragraph.

"Jacen tried to give the gem that he got from GemDiver station to his mother, she refused it, saying that he might find a better use for it."

11. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Here is NJO #1, Vector Prime, by RA Salvatore. From Jacen's perspective of course.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

We first meet 16 year-old Jacen Solo on the dawn of the New Jedi Order with his Uncle Luke Skywalker heading to meet the New Republic Advisory Council. We are introduced to Chief of State Borsk Fey'lya here as well. Luke wished to reestablish the Jedi Council with the approval of the NR council. Jacen, however, was strongly against reestablishing the Jedi Council. Wurth Skidder's high flying maneuver at Osarian and many others like it had made the meeting impossible by Luke's detractors on the NR council. Nothing is resolved as bickering continues and Luke & Jacen leave. Jacen's intimate thoughts & idealistic visions are revealed to us soon afterwards in a discussion with his Uncle Luke. The word idealistic is even used.
    Any formalities concerning the Jedi, from the academy to any new councils, seemed to him to be layers of bureaucracy added to something spiritual and personal, something that should not be governed. In Jacen's idealistic sixteen-year-old eyes, the individual Jedi Knights, by their mere acceptance of the philosophy necessary to sustain their Force powers, should be self-governing. A properly trained Jedi Knight, who had been taught to avoid the dark side, who proved he could resist the temptations associated with such power, needed no bureaucrats to guide his actions, and putting that governing layer there, he feared, would steal the mystery.
    I want to point out more of Jacen's philosophies from p.45 (hardcover):
    Jacen had been trained as a Jedi Knight at the academy, yet he had become convinced that the academy was not a good thing, that it was too formal and structured, and that growth within the Force was a much more personal experience...Instead of finding Force-strong youngsters to train in the ways of the Jedi, Jacen wanted such promising students to find their to the Jedi.

We are introduced to 15 year-old Anakin Solo with his father, Han Solo, & the late Chewbacca working on the Millennium Falcon. The contrast here is significant. Whereas we see Jacen struggling with the meaning of the Force with his Uncle Luke, we see Anakin on deck the Millennium Falcon as the handiman doing what it takes to get the job done, sort of speak. These characterizations will continue.

Fast forward to Anakin and Jacen actually fighting in simulation. Anakin is right away described as "always practicing" with his lightsaber whereas Jacen is more reserved in finding a deepened understanding of the Force and a Jedi's place within it. Meditation is Jacen's practice. The theme of the fight is best summed up by a few quotes like the following: "You keep thinking of [the Force] as a tool, a weapon in your war against everything you see as bad. But that is such a limiting philosophy." Jacen said..."A Jedi at peace is a better warrior by far," Jacen said. Anakin sees the Force and his lightsaber as an "instrument of law" which he self-righteously assumes to judge & enforce. Finally, Anakin challenges his brother to prove whether a Jedi at peace is a better Jedi by far. And so the fight begins. After Jacen beats Anakin in the fight (Anakin has yet to beat Jacen we are told), Jacen reiterates, "The Force is a power within, for the good within," he said. "We're not a galactic patrol." Anakin stared at his brother long and hard, clearly surprised that Jacen, who practiced far less than he, had so cleanly beaten him. Even now, Anakin practices and has far more experience than Jacen. Still, I would contend that Jacen is a better warrior in a lightsaber sparring match than his brother Anakin. In a conversation with his Uncle afterwards, Luke alludes to Jacen's pride as early as Vector Prime on p.107. We see Luke pointing it out again in Balance Point later. Jacen assumes to know the truth a

12. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    ForceAlly, I don?t mind if you barrow my sentence.

Vergere, that was a truly awesome summary of Vector Prime. I loved it. And because it was so good, it but me into ?nit pick mode?. So please take my constructive criticism as more of a complement (because that is what it is intended to be) more than an attack on your hard work (because that is the farthest thing from my true intention).

(This is the beginning of some extreme nit picking that I wouldn?t feel mad if you simply ignored, although it might be useful to you none the less.)

There where one or two things that didn?t quite sit right with me about this summary. The first is your use of the phrases ?We first meet? and ?We are introduced to?. In and of them selves they are not untrue. That is the first time we see Jacen as being 16, but it just feels strange to say that we are introduced to a character that has been in the Star Wars books since Zahn?s trilogy. Perhaps if you include somewhere before that statement (maybe somewhere in the transition between the Jacen of the YJK and the Jacen of the NJO) that Jacen has changed a lot since his time at the academy. So if you said that we are ?introduced to the new Jacen? it might sound a little better.

Also you use a similar phrase to describe Borsk Fey?lya. He has also been around in the Star Wars universe as long as Jacen has. However, this is the first time we see him as the Chief of State, so if you were to say ?we are introduced to the new Chief of State, Borsk Fey?lya? (this would put the emphasis on the Chief of State, rather than Borsk himself) it also might sound better.

Then you also use the same phrase to describe our first meeting with Anakin, Han, and Chewbacca in the NJO. I would recommend something along the lines of ?We then meet, for the first time in the NJO, Anakin Solo with??

(This is the end of the extreme nit picking that I believe you can simply ignore.)

Now there is one other thing. You said, ?Jacen, once inside the planet, hears a faint call through the Force for rescue?. However, if I?m not mistaken, Jacen heard that call before he entered the planet. That is why he changed course, and alerted the Vong to his presence. That is also why Jaina needed to run from the Vong during that time.

As I said before, I believe you did a truly superior job with this summary, and I only offer this constructive criticism because the quality of the summary put me in that ?nit pick mode? that you just saw. I am overwhelmingly impressed with the quality of what you have just done.

13. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    JJS and anyone else - constructive criticism is always good. It keeps an author on their toes, so please, do not hold anything back :)

JJS, you make some excellent suggestions which I will certainly incorporate in the final version. Thanks also for correcting me on the Danni thing at the end of VP.

14. Jacean_Solo

Jacean_Solo Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2001
    All of these summaries are very good. It's been awhile since I've read these books so it's good to have it all brought back into my mind. Very good all.

15. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Do we have any volunteers (who hasn't chosen anything yet) for the few books still available to summarize Jacen in and give your opinions? Please don't worry about length when writing these "Jacen summaries."

Recap on the bio:

1. ForceAlly - THE THRAWN TRILOGY (completed)
    2. Jacean_Solo - THE JEDI ACADEMY TRILOGY
    3. I-poodoo - THE CRYSTAL STAR
    4. Balance_Point - THE CORELLIAN TRILOGY
    5. ForceAlly - YJK #1-3 (completed)
    6. ForceAlly - YJK #4-6
    7. -Vergere- - NJO #1 (completed)
    8. -Vergere- - NJO #2-5
    9. Balance_Point - NJO #6
    10. -Vergere- - NJO #7-8
    Once again, if anyone wants to do any part of the NJO that I've chosen, please let me know and its yours! Also, don't forget that there is
    absolutely no time constraints here. Simply complete it at your own leisure.

16. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Shmi52: You're Kathy Tyres???!!! You're my favorite SW author! :) :) :) I'm doing a book report on Balance Point right now :)

I feel stupid. I'm usually so spoiled. I actually knew what color Luke's son's eyes were before I finished Vector Prime. (Of course I knew of Chewie's death long before VP was published ;)) So I decided to try being spoiler-free for at least one book. ::breaks down and cries:: so I skipped over all the SbS spoilers and now I don't know what you're talking about even though I know what the plot of Rebel Dream is :p

Okay, okay, I give. I'm going back and reading all the spoilers.

If you need any help on the bio, I'd be strongest in YJK 1-6, just like ForceAlly. So maybe I can write an editorial or review or something else.

17. ForceAlly

Oct 4, 2001
    This is the summary of YJK#4 Lightsaber, IMO the best book of the YJK series. Jacen is actually described as impatient, boyish, and being a person of action in this book, which Tenel Ka takes the leading role, and she grows significantly through the story. As the title suggests, lightsabers are featured heavily in this book, those lightsaber-constructing scenes are some of my all-time favorites.

Beside actions and emotional conflicts, humors still take an important in this book, making reading this book a truly enjoyment. (Several Han Solo's famous lines are rehashed by his children, such as the one included in the summary, and Jaina saying "They'd be crazy to fellow us, wouldn't they." Some most welcome in-jokes of this series.)

Better stop myself from more praising, or it might takes forever :p

--

To face Shadow Academy, Luke decided to advance his students' learning to lightsaber trainings. But before that, the apprentices must build their own lightsabers. With his Corusca gem as the centerpiece, Jacen pressed his personal preferences and impatient nature, meticulously assembled his very own emerald-blade lightsaber.

After being trained by remotes, they advanced to one-on-one practices. Before igniting his blade, Jacen joked to Tenel Ka with his father's words "Good against remote is one thing, but good against a real opponent, that's something else." Both Jacen and Tenel Ka took this practice very serious, and both put every effort trying to best the other. Focused at winning, neither of them noticed Tenel Ka's lightsaber malfunctioned, and Jacen accidentally cut of Tenel Ka's arm.

Tenel Ka was taken home by her family. Although Tionne told them the story of Nomi Sunrider to encourage them, her friends still felt depressed. Being worried himself, Luke took Jaina, Jacen, and Lowie to see Tenel Ka, and revealed her royal identity en en route to Hapes. Holding back at first, arguing to take full responsibilities next, before long, Jacen and Tenel Ka forgave each other, expressed their feelings, and became closer friends.

The apprentices decided to stay with Tenel Ka when she healing her physical and mental wounds, as well as they theirs. Tenel Ka was glad to showing her home to her friends, but several attempts was made to kill the royal family of Hapes. Fighting the assassins side by side with her friends, Tenel Ka finally found the balances of her heritages, physical strength and the Force, warrior and politician. Built a new lightsaber with materials represent the two world she belongs to, with one arm, Tenel Ka was ready to show her friends, especially Jacen, that she was more the warrior princess than before.

18. ForceAlly

Oct 4, 2001
    Alderaan_ and JediJSolo, feel free to add your comments of YJK # 1-6, especially those about Jacen. And, would you like to do YJK # 7-11 and YJK # 12-14?

Going to watch EPI DVD, can't stay longer :D

19. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    Are you suggesting that Jacen's characterization in the NJO isn't as drastically different from the pre-NJO as it appears to be?

I'm saying that he's changed but old habits die hard.

20. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I just went back and read all the posts and realized that nothing I said had anything to do with the discussion [face_blush]

I actually haven't read YJK 7-14 yet, even though I've memorized 1-6. But I will, just as soon as I can get my hands on them.

Here're my thoughts on Jacen.
    He was born Force-sensitive, but, like Leia, that dosen't mean he's obligated to become a Jedi. Maybe he'll become more like Han.

One reason for Jacen's character switch may be due to hormones... I should know because I'm experiencing them. They're getting very annoying. And growing up in the middle of a war dosen't help. 'Specially when your mom used to be Chief of State, your dad is a smuggler-turned-hero, your aunt and uncle are Jedi heroes, you never knew your grandparents, your big twin sister is a Leutinant(sp?) in the legendary Rouge Squadron, your little brother is pestering you about something you're not sure about yourself, and your freinds are somewhere in the galaxy without you.

I don't think Jacen's gonna die... at least I hope not. :eek:

btw, I haven't finished BP, Conquest, or Rebirth yet, but please feel free to spoil me- spoilers make a book better IMO.

quote for today: "How did you know that?"
    -Jacen, The Lost Ones :)

21. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    ?Alderaan_ and JediJSolo, feel free to add your comments of YJK # 1-6, especially those about Jacen. And, would you like to do YJK # 7-11 and YJK # 12-14??

ForceAlly, I think that your summaries are very concise and to the point. The only major criticism I can make is that I think you should reread your summaries more. There are a few grammatical errors that could be easily corrected. For example, you will sometimes use a word like ?represent? when it would be better to use the word ?representing?, and at times you will skip a word like ?was?. These kinds of things pop up every now and again in your summaries, but overall I think they are good. I?m not an English Major (that is why I like to make friends who are :D), so I?m not particularly awesome at picking apart sentence structure. I just have a general idea of what sounds good and what doesn?t.

Okay? I think I can manage to fit doing the summaries for YJK 12-14 into my schedule. I?ll have to reread those books, so it might take some time before I?m finished with the summaries (I?m not a fast reader). I might have the summary for YJK 12 done by Tuesday, but I can?t be sure of that.

?I just went back and read all the posts and realized that nothing I said had anything to do with the discussion?

That?s okay. Your post was interesting anyway.

?He was born Force-sensitive, but, like Leia, that doesn?t mean he's obligated to become a Jedi. Maybe he'll become more like Han.?

Alderaan_, I don?t think that Jacen couldn?t become more like Han, I just don?t think it?s likely. Jacen accepted the fact that he would become a Jedi long before he hit puberty. That is why he and his brother are devoting so much time and energy to trying to figure out how to be the best Jedi that they can be. That is the life that they where taught was there right to live out, and they want to do it in the best way they possibly can.

In Rebirth it says that, out of Han?s three children, Jacen is the one he understands the least. I do not think that Jacen has the potential to become more like Han that his other siblings. Jacen isn?t the type to do things impulsively, unless he knows the Force is guiding him. Han, on the other hand, is known across the GFFA for his impulsive nature. Both are characters that have their virtues, but there is little chance that one of them would become more like the other any time soon. However I could be mistaken; it wouldn?t be the first time.

22. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    MaceWinducannotdie - Nice job on the "Lets tear each other's heads off in a debate about Kyp Durron!!!" thread. You make some very convincing arguments eloquently.

23. Piett_clone

Piett_clone Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2000
    -Vergere-, this thread is fantastic. Keep up the wonderful work. I'll bop in more frequently in the future I hope.

24. ForceAlly

Oct 4, 2001
    JediJSolo

Thanks for your advise. I'll double check my grammar errors, typos, and choices of words (I am Known for this kind of error :p ) But since English is not my native language, I could use some help here :)

25. ForceAlly

Oct 4, 2001
    Jacen really takes a small role in YJK #5 Darkest Knight (IMO, the worst title of this series. I mean, will any Sith with his clear mind called himself the Darkest Lord of the Sith ?[face_plain] ) YJK #5 features the Wookiee's homeworld, Kashyyyk; so naturally, Lowbacca and his family take the spotlight in this book. As always, I will just stick with Jacen's story.

--

Finally having some quite and peaceful time at Yavin IV, Jacen was more than happy to spend his time with his pets. However, something had troubled Lowbacca lately. With the unexpected visit of the Falcon, the Solo twins and Tenel Ka learned that Lowie's sister was about to take her rite of passage, and offered Lowie their help.

On their way to Kashyyyk, Jacen tried his best and failed to explain humor to Tenel Ka. He did find a rodent and kept it from further damaging their ship, though. The apprentices stayed with Lowie's family, and took their time learning Shyriiwook (a.k.a. Wookiee-speak), visiting the factory Lowie's parents worked in, and playing combat simulation computer games.

But their uneventful stay was interrupted when the Shadow Academy attacked and raided for computer components. Jacen, Tenel, and the young Wookiees helped defending the factory from air attack. But when enemy taskforces arrived, they were forced to retreat deep into the forest, where they fought the Imperials as well as local ecology. They had succeeded in defeating their pursuers, while Jaina had a showdown with Zekk, but the Shadow Academy had accomplished their mission. Learning they were launching an attack on the Jedi Academy, these Jedi apprentices rushed back to Yavin IV to send the warning.