main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jacen's Fall

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature (Spoilers Allowed)' started by Taurean2000, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taurean2000

Taurean2000 Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2002
    I like all the discussion/speculation about the future books, but I would like to know what everyone thinks about Jacen's fall.

In the New Jedi Order series I hated Jacen. He seemed like a Star Wars Peace-nik. When he was caputured he became a little more interesting but just barely. It wasn't until the Dark Nest Series that I actually considered him an interesting character. He had went out trying to discover the force and learning new abilities and had promise. Plus a couple times in that series he did some things that I thought were questionable w/o thinking twice.

The things he did in Betrayal were entirely justifible....they were wrong, but you could understand why he did them. As the books continue it appears that the once unemotional Jacen is getting a very short temper. In summation I love the character arc of Jacen so far. From an animal loving kid, to a violence fearing wuss, and right now a "do whatever it takes" man.

But what do you guys think? Do you like this Jacen? Did his journey seem as realistic to you? TALK TO ME....sorry.

2. Eskimo9000

Eskimo9000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2007
    Jacen was always one of my favourite characters and he has just been getting better and better

3. SuperLariat

SuperLariat Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2003
    From the time he was under Luke's control wielding his Lightsaber in JAT until the time he got back in Destiny's Way, Jacen seemed to be a Girly-Man. Now he's acting like his grandfather, which is rather unfortunate, because Anakin was still adolescent when he had his whole hissy fit over his wife etc. Jacen's a grown man and has no excuse for being so naive. IMO at least.

4. masakaritko

masakaritko Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2007
    I have enjoyed Jacen's character ever since he was captured by the Vong. Before then, I could have cared less about him. Now that he's becoming a sith lord, it makes him a more interesting character, I just dont like the fact that he seems to be making the same mistakes as his grandfather.

5. Taurean2000

Taurean2000 Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2002
    See that is something that I disagree with a lot of people about. I think it was pointed out earlier that Anakin was still very much a whiny immature teenager when he fell. Where as Jacen is in his early 30's and I feel he has been through a lot more (but I know that is up for debate).

But my point is that Anakin fell because he was selfish. He didn't want to lose the one person he still cared about. B/c if Padme was gone then who would he have? Obi-wan, but that is really it. Now Jacen has a great family. Mom & Pops are still alive, gotta sister, a popular aunt & uncle, not to mention a wife and kid that are reasonable safe. You could even argue that Anakin didn't have a choice to fall. He lashed out at a moment of weakness in order to save the means to save his wife. Then continued going so that he could achieve the power to save her. Jacen has been able to sit back and literally CHOSE to turn to the darkside. Sure there are a lot of things in common, but I believe there are some major differences if you look closely.

6. JayaMioneDurron

JayaMioneDurron Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    I think this has been comming since traitor. i didn't like how he seemed to soften for the rest of the NJO. In traitor he was very similar to the jacen of Betrayal. i find this new jacen to be intreging because it is all so logicl. i was disapointed when he went back to being sissy onece he returned then was just a powerful jedi who knew heaps.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Post-Traitor, he was fine - balanced, even. Post-TUF, and after his Odyssey, then I could see it, slowly.

Not that I disagree with a single reason for his turning. Its just the God-complex he gained post-TUF that is the problem.

8. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Despite what many people will say i still don't see Jacen being on the same path he is on now back during Traitor. When i first read the NJO i remember being impressed that he followed the light path in TUF, with Onimi and such. Yet there is that key line about him never attaining that level of power (or similar) however hard he searched, and then he disappeared for five years.

I can't help but feel Del Rey should bite the bullet and ask Stover to write a book during those fives years to fully explore the change in Jacen's character.

Afterall people still complain about the difference between pre-Vector point Jacen and Post VP Jacen.

9. saneman

saneman Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2003
    Stover is not interested in writing any more SW book as far as we know

10. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    After LSatSoM, you mean?[face_thinking] Where did he say that?:confused:

11. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    Stover said that after the ROTS novelization in an interview with SW Insider magazine. A statement he's probably eating now that he's writing LSatSoM.

12. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    I see Jacen as being more similar to Dooku than to Anakin. Jacen actually believes it's his place to bring order to the galaxy and he's letting Lumiya convince him that he's indispensable. We all know how well that turned out for Dooku...

13. Maximillian-Veers

Maximillian-Veers Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    My main complaint about Jacen is the way he is letting Lumiya so obviously use him. Dark Side or not, if someone told me to kill my wife to prove myself I'd sever their head from their spine.

14. Maximillian-Veers

Maximillian-Veers Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Agreed, he's being pulled into a very Dooku-like situation. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, as they say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.