Calgary Jack Boots - any tips for Calgary?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TD-2749, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TD-2749 Jedi Padawan

I'm about to set out on a whirlwind shopping spree to get stuff for my new TIE Pilot costume. I was planning on hitting Crown Surplus to see about a black flightsuit (may end up buying one online) and then hitting the Biker shop nearby to look at boots and gauntlets.

Any secret Jedi sources for good, tall, leather (black) boots in Calgary?
  2. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    If only your feet were slightly smaller, my friend. I have boots for you....'cuz they sent me size 8 mens and not ladies 7's......but you'd have to lop off part of your foot. However....if you want me to tell you were I got them....and they are cheap....email me tomorrow at work. Like you need a reason to do that.... ;)
  3. TD-2749 Jedi Padawan

Okay, I'll email you but for the record, your gear all looks great. (except Rubies made the TIE helmet too wide) [face_dancing]
  4. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
  5. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
    I had a hell of a time finding suitable Jedi boots in my size. I had to settle for some cowboy boots that some of the Jedi in the visual dictionaries are wearing. I hear "Town and Country" has a good selection of riding type boots, but I have yet to make it there. The Crown Surplus boot selection was disapointing, but their inventory changes all of the time. The motorbike places have some great Sithly boots, but one has to remove or cover the logos that are plastered all over them.

6. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    Other than checking out motorcycle stuff (none of which I'm really familair with) and Crown Surplus - always worth a look - the only Calgary-specific thing I can think of doing is checking out the cowboy boot companies (like Alberta Boot, but there are a few of them). They probably won't have anything ready made that suits your purposes, but they can custom-make some for you. I think DrHaggis did this actually for his Jedi costume - edit: Aha! DrHaggis posted while I did - see above :)

There's always the second-hand stores, but men's boots are hard to find.

I haven't ordered from either of these but online these are some of the places I think of getting boots from - whole range of prices represented below from very expensive to less so:
    http://motorcowboy.zoovy.com/ (all kinds of boots, custom-made, lots of media reproductions)
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com (all kinds of gov surplus - though it says they aren't doing international orders, in other places they list shipping to Canada so maybe we don't count as 'international' :) )
    http://www.easterncoastcostume.com/Pages/gogoboots/gogo_boots1.htm (cheap boots, the black equestrian may be something you'd be interested in)

If you do find a good local source for men's jack boots and don't mind sharing, I know I'd love to hear about it!

All the best,
    Jen
  7. TD-2749 Jedi Padawan

Thanks for the help. I was mentally prepared for a city wide search and in the end I picked up my gauntlets and my boots at Crown Surplus; my first stop.

They had decent gauntlets for $55 (I'll need to cut the liner out) and I found a pair of East german army boots that were a perfect fit for $75 but the left one had some loose stitching and the leather insert was warped as well as both boots having really badly worn heels. I mentioned that to the owner and he cut the price to $45. I took them in for repair (stitching, heels, new leather insoles) and that was only $40 so I'm a happy camper, er, pilot I guess. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.