main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Jack the Giant Slayer] Between Heaven and Earth *Updated!!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by serendipityaey, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Elmont is falling hard, and he doesn't realise it yet, Poor sweet man, she has intrigued him.:cool:

serendipityaey likes this.
  2. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Ack! I'm so sorry I've been so busy! Hope I can be forgiven :)

Nyota's Heart Thank you! So glad you liked [:D]

Mira_Jade I think of Elmont being a very observant man! I really wanted to tap into all he would notice, and he can't help but notice everything about her. She stirs him ;) Thank you so much for the review! I really appreciate it

Gkilkenny He wants to know everything about her :D Thanks for reading!! [face_love]

*_________________________________________________________*​
    Through the shadows at the side of the house, Elleree moved quietly, dumping the dirty washing water out, and then took a step towards the post of the rickety fence that surrounded the tiny little home.

"Is there something more I can help you with, Captain?" she spoke out into the darkness.

Elleree watched silently as Elmont spurred his horse forward from behind an old grove of oak trees, and dismounted to approach her at the wooden fence.

"I did inform you that I plan to keep my eye on you," he said. His voice was low, deeper somehow in the moonlight and the soft timber caught her off guard, but she shook it off as idle curiosity and nothing more.

"Seems like a lot of trouble to go to over the matter of a few coin," she replied softly.

"So you admit you stole the money?" He took a step toward her.

"Not at all, I do not," she insisted, stiffening under his inscrutable stare. "But either way, I think your resources are wasted on me."

Elmont crossed his arms over his armored chest, and Elleree mimicked him, leaning against the weathered fence post. She knew he knew she was lying, but she wouldn't back down, she couldn't. If he decided to arrest her, there would be little she could do to defend herself anyway, even without any evidence of her crime. Who would believe her over the mighty Captain of the King's guard? But she would not give up her own principles even if he didn't have the compassion to see past the long arm of the law.

"What were you doing at the apothecary?" Elmont finally questioned, his eyes narrowing as he looked at her.

So he had been following her.

Elleree sighed deeply. "Why does it matter to you? And how do you know that's where I was?"

"I won't repeat myself, Miss Rowan." The knight stood taller, placing his hands on his hips as he awaited her answer.

Elleree felt her heart quicken in her chest at the thought of him watching her, as much as she wished she wasn't affected by him. Authority and command seemed to flood from his entire presence and it made her wary.

She considered lying; she considered turning and stomping back into the house so she could slam the door in her wake...but she had a bad feeling he would follow and she had no desire to cause trouble in the house. They seemed to be locked in some kind of staredown and Elmont showed no sign of any weakness. Blasted, bloody hell.

A deep sigh passed her lips, and she looked down, scuffing the toe of her boot in the dirt before looking up at him again.
    "The baby," she murmured, nodding her head toward the house. "Charles. He's two years old and he's very sick - high fever, coughing. I bought syrup for his congestion, and herbs to help ease his pain."

At her answer, Elmont gave a curt nod, but Elleree noticed the pained emotion in his eyes straight away, even in the dim light from the moon. It surprised her and she wondered if he might actually have a heart beneath all that black armor after all.

"I don't know if he'll...recover," she continued, "...but at least the medicine might help to bring him some peace and rest. I hope, anyway."

Elmont nodded. "Your family?" he asked, looking to the house.

Elleree paused. She didn't want to tell him, she didn't want to tell him anything about her life. Surely it would only give him leverage to use against her. But in the end she couldn't think of any excuse to not tell him the truth, and she already knew she couldn't win a stand-off with him as an opponent. At least not yet.

In the darkness she tried to study his stormy blue eyes, to figure out what he really wanted but gave up after a moment.

"No." She shook her head. "I have no family. I don't have anyone."

"But you live here?"

"I'm staying here temporarily, to help Annie... Four children, little Charlie sick and her husband left up North for a bit to try to find work. She - when Charlie became ill, she went to pieces... And anyway, it's a roof over my head. For now. So I do what I can."

He nodded again, and uncrossed his arms. "I'm sorry to hear that. The other children, how are they?"

"They're okay, but they're all young still. Eric, Charlie's brother, he's only 5, but he doesn't leave his brothers side." Elleree smiled faintly, thinking of Eric's devotion to his little brother. "Actually he tells him stories, about how they'll both become guardians, fight and battle, serve the kingdom - about how strong they'll both be someday."

She looked up to find him watching her intently, and she pursed her lips, trying not to let her face fall. "I don't have the heart to tell him he can never be a guardian."

*_________________________________________________________*​
    Elmont felt his heart clench at the sadness in her eyes that she tried very hard to hide. Emotion felt for a very little boy that was suffering for no reason.

How could he possibly arrest her for this?

His only saving grace was that he had no physical evidence she had actually stolen anything at all. Years of training, of serving the kingdom, demanded that he perform his job to the highest standard.

Still...

Perhaps, just this once, he could forget what he had seen especially since the nobleman had not even seemed to notice.

But he had a feeling this would not be the last he heard from Elleree Rowan, nor did he want it to be.

Elmont had no idea what this - unsettling - feeling meant; he'd never felt this way about another person but there was something more to Elleree - something he felt a longing to know - to understand. A pull he just couldn't deny.

So he resigned himself to at least trying to accept her presence as it was in his life for the time being, though he was adamant that he would not sacrifice his principles in upholding the law and order of this kingdom. He would not be so lenient if he caught her breaking the law again.

At the same time, he was determined to find out what she was hiding, to learn more about her but she seemed to want to make that feat as difficult as possible.

The wall that she had built up around her did not fall, even with their discussion - her arms were still crossed, her hazel eyes guarded, but Elmont was not deterred. And since he was here anyway he was going to make the most of this situation - and perhaps show her he wasn't entirely evil.

"May I meet them?" He asked softly, glancing towards the small, rickety house.

Elleree's eyes widened, her mouth opening and then shutting again.

"Uhh - meet? Wh-who?"

"The boys of course. If it isn't an imposition... I'd like to meet them."

The shape of her mouth made a soft 'o' but for a moment she said nothing and Elmont had to hold back a smile at the picture she made. "Seems like I've finally rendered you speechless."

"No I - well, yes... I mean... Yes, I think they'd be very keen to meet a guardian. The captain no less," she added with a small smile. "But are you sure? You have time?"

"Of course. For this I do."

"Ah...okay." Her expression softened and the sight made his heart jump. "Let me just - " She glanced back at the house.

"Unless you think it would be a waste of my resources." Elmont lifted a brow, still amused by her fluster. He had a hunch she wasn't surprised by people very often, at least not enough so that she couldn't think of anything to say.

After a moment she laughed and he couldn't help but grin in response.

Taking a breath she began again. "Ah, no, no. Let me just warn Annie the Mighty Captain Elmont is about to waltz into her little home."

"Now wait just a -"

It was no use, she'd already turned and was halfway to the door, but just as she reached it she turned and cast him a smile that - maybe if he was any lesser man - would've made him absolutely weak in the knees.

Heaven help him.

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    [face_dancing]

Ha! she has him in the palm of her hand. the children will soften him.=D=

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Woohoo! An update! Touched by two facts: Charles' and his family plight and the fact that they're not bloodkin to Elleree. @};- This touches Elmont too naturally, adding to his already fascination ;) And she's impressed I know by his compassionate response. I love how their reactions to one another are so instinctive/natural and full of sparks. :)

[:D]

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooooh, I enjoyed this update so much. First off! It was delightful to know more about Elleree and her reasons for helping Annie and her kids. I loved seeing Elmont soften - I am seeing respect for her aid growing on top of his fascination - and his chivalry and goodness with wanting to meet the children and decision to 'look the other way' just tickled me plenty. I loved that he was able to surprise her in the end - the last two lines just made this whole update for me! Really, you are doing such a wonderful job in weaving a soft and subtle story, and I am loving this tale all the moreso as it grows. [face_love]=D=

(That, and was Eric and Charles an X-Men reference, or just me reading too much into things because I am way too much a Marvel fangirl? [face_laugh] :p)

Nyota's Heart and serendipityaey like this.
  6. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Gkilkenny Definitely! Ha! Thank you so much! [:D]

Nyota's Heart They are both surprised by each other here, and working themselves into each others hearts! Thanks for the review!! [face_love]

Mira_Jade It wasn't, but it SHOULD'VE BEEN!! Lol, I can't believe I missed that. It must've been my subconscious. Love them!!

They have a lot in common, they're both lonely...and they both have tough exteriors and soft romantic insides :D All the details you notice mean so much to me! I've really tried to work those in. And i'm glad you liked the last two lines, they were my favorite to write! Such a big grin while writing, lol :D Thank you! [:D]

Thanks for sticking with me! My summers are so busy, and as my little one grows up, they seem to be getting busier! Hope you enjoy!

~__________________________________________________~​

The inside of Annie's home was as small as it looked from the outside but it was warm and still looked wonderfully comfortable. 'Annie,' Elmont presumed, stood at the entrance, holding the wooden door open to welcome him in.

With a nervous smile on her pretty face, the young woman gave a little curtsy when he entered and then straightened, waiting for him to speak first. She was short and had a pleasant heart-shaped face, golden hair twisted up into a bun at the nape of her neck. Her demeanor was reserved; not weak, but lacking the fire that Elleree held in every ounce of her being.

Two young girls, perhaps 8 and 10 years old, stood behind her in the tiny kitchen looking much as their mother did, and Elmont nodded at them each in turn before turning back to their mother.

"Good evening, Mrs. -"

"Bennett," she answered him in a soft voice, and he cast her a reassuring smile.

She named each of the children in turn, starting with the girls and ending with little Charlie tucked in on a small mattress in the corner of the room. His face was white as a ghost and he looked very weak, his forehead beaded with cold sweat.

Elmont nodded again, and moved to kneel at the little boy's side without hesitation. "Hello, little man," he said, his voice sure and warm. "I heard there were two boys in this house that wanted to be guardians and I had to come and see these brave young men for myself."

Charles managed a weak smile and turned his head to look at his older brother. Elmont gave each of them an encouraging smile in turn and he sensed Elleree coming to stand behind him.

"How do you feel Charlie?" She asked softly from over his shoulder.

Charlie swallowed and nodded his head once. "Better Miss Ellie. It don't hurt so bad anymore," he added rubbing his chest and trying to sound brave, though his voice sounded meek.

Elmont felt an undeniable pang of sadness in his own chest and it stung but he schooled his face to calm, committed to being strong and positive.

"And you, Eric?" Elmont asked, turning to the older boy with messy brown hair perched at the corner of his brother's bed. He smiled shyly as Elmont addressed him, and bounced a little from contained excitement, his eyes sparking.

Elmont returned his happy expression and fixed him with a proud stare. "I see you've been taking very good care of your younger brother."

Eric nodded solemnly.

"And helping your mum a great deal?"

"Yes sir."

"Well done, Eric. Such loyalty and tireless hard work is to be commended. And Charles," he added, laying his large hand on the little boy's chest wishing he could will his own energy into healing his body. "You've been very strong and brave. The two of you young men clearly have all the qualities needed to make the best of knights, I'm sure of it."

Both boys were beaming at his comment and Elmont couldn't help feeling a measure of their joy as he well knew exactly what they were feeling, eager to serve their kingdom. Perhaps the law would change. Such things weren't unheard of. In any case, they could train to be knights if not guardians.

As he stood, Elmont turned to glance at Elleree, surprised to find the emotion she must be feeling clearly written across her face, her eyes sorrowful and her lower lip pressed between her teeth.

She caught his gaze, her own a sparkling golden-green and after a shared moment she mouthed the words 'thank you' to him silently. Elmont was touched by her heartfelt gratitude at his simple gesture, and by what she was doing to help this little family to survive. Perhaps she wasn't quite what she seemed either.

Annie interrupted their moment as she took a step forward, addressing Elmont as she wrung a threadbare dish cloth in her hands. "Can I offer you some supper, Sir Elmont? I have a stew, on the hearth. There's not much," she added quickly, "but we would be much obliged to thank you for visiting…"

"No, no thank you needed," he assured her. Elmont glanced at Elleree, before turning back to Annie. "The offer is greatly appreciated, but I'm afraid I must return to my duties."

"Of course," Annie flushed. "I wouldn't want to hold you up."

"Not at all. I'm quite grateful Miss Rowan offered to introduce me."

Annie looked to Elleree, her face lighting up as she smiled truly for the first time since he had come into her home, and he saw again how much Elleree must have done for them, for Annie and her family and all only for a place to sleep on the floor, he was sure.

"Ellie - Miss Rowan - has been quite gracious." Annie looked to her youngest child, and he saw her eyes begin to glisten with unshed tears for one second before she shook it away and turned back to Elmont. "I'm very grateful for her generosity."

Elmont nodded. "I regret I must be going now," he said patting Eric on the shoulder and leaning down to brush his hand over little Charlie's forehead.

"Get lots of rest and do as your mum says, and I will see you soon young Charles."

The little boy gave another smile but his eyelids were already dropping closed with weariness and he slipped into a light sleep within moments, the happy expression lingering on his face. Elmont watched him for one minute before turning to leave, silently saying a prayer for the boy.

If these days were to be his last, Elmont could only hope they might be peaceful. He would be...surprised if the boy was able to fight this illness he was suffering, but he'd seen stranger things...

With one more nod to the girls, Elmont thanked Mrs. Bennett for her hospitality and went through the door, Elleree close behind him.

It was obvious now how little this family had - he was more certain than ever that Elleree had stolen that money, yet he couldn't find any desire within himself to condemn her for it.

The course of action she had decided upon had been wrong indeed, but her priorities - selfless and nothing short of good-hearted. Elmont wasn't sure what to make of it, but he thought perhaps that even though the act was wrong, it did not make her a bad person.

Afterall - why had she chosen to steal from the Lord instead of the apothecary? Elmont knew both men. One was humble and kind, worked hard for very little, all in purpose to help others and the other was polite and gentile, hardly worked at all, and had so much money he could not even notice when a little of it went missing.

And it was very clear to Elmont that Elleree had decided to steal from one and not the other.

Elmont sighed quietly to himself as the enigmatic, fiery young woman followed him outside. A thief with a heart of gold. Would wonders never cease? Yet seeing Charles, and Annie, and how clear it was how much Elleree cared for them, he felt he truly could understand.

But what in the name of the king was he going to do with her...

Elleree couldn't quite believe what had just occurred in that little house she had come to call home for this short time, but it was more... goodness... than she'd seen in a very very long time and it filled her with a feeling that was both unfamiliar and strangely comforting.

The man she'd seen in the market was not the man that stood before her just now in the moonlight and for the first time Elleree had to consider the possibility that she had been entirely wrong about him.

"That was very kind of you, Captain," she said, her voice quiet as they reached the fence. "Thank you."

He lifted his head to smile at her, and even in the darkness his eyes seemed to gleam, a fierce stormy blue that captivated her mind and her heart.

"I'm glad to have met them."

"I haven't seen Charlie smile in days and days, you know."

Elmont nodded, looking at the ground and then back up at her and the sadness on his face was obvious. "I hope he feels better soon."

Elleree felt her throat close, and a wave of despair washed over her. He was so young, it was so unfair, but maybe with someone like Elmont on their side... Maybe anything was possible. "I hope so too."

The Captain turned to continue walking and when the two of them reached the old fence Elmont shifted, stopping to look at her again and considering her a moment before he spoke. "Do you have work?" he asked.

Elleree swallowed, looking at the ground. If she answered truthfully, which she seemed to be compelled to do with him, he would know she had no means to buy medicine, a luxury in these parts…

A deep sigh escaped when she glanced up at him, and her silence seemed to be just as telling to him as an honest answer. For a moment, he looked her intently and she held her breath, but he seemed to decide something, and smoothed his hand over his beard, his entire demeanor relaxing with the gesture.

"I'm sure Mrs. Bennet appreciates the time and care you are able to devote to her family," he said.

Elleree tried to keep the emotion from showing on her face, but found she couldn't quite manage it and ducked her head. What good would it do in the end if they were to suffer anyway?

But Elmont surprised her again when he took a step toward her. "Chin up," he said, breaking the somber mood and tapping a finger under her chin. He smiled at her and she couldn't help but return it.

"You're doing a good thing, helping them," he nodded toward the house.

She took a breath. Who knew the Captain of the King's Guard would even care one little bit about her, or them, or anyone out here in the slums...

Who was this man? She wanted to know, to know more. To know everything, and that made her more scared than she'd been in a long time.

But she didn't care; and she felt an unfamiliar urge to say something, anything to figure out the connection she felt between them and whether he felt it as well, but the long established walls she had built held her back. Elleree didn't realize she was biting her lower lip until she felt the tinge of pain from where it was caught between her teeth.

Then Elmont stepped outside the fence and so Elleree forced herself to turn to walk back into the house before she said something silly.

Still, a smile turned up the corners of her mouth. The chances she would even see him again were slim, and she tried to tell herself it would be better that way but she couldn't forget the look in his eyes. The way he furrowed his brow when he was thinking. The way he smiled...

"Rowan."

Elleree turned clumsily. She was startled out of her thoughts by the sound of him calling her name but found she kind of liked it. Her heart gave a betraying flutter as she met his gaze in the moonlight.

"I'll be watching you."

Despite herself, she smiled.

To her surprise, she found she kind of liked the sound of that as well.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Awwwwwww! I like Annie and her younglings already. I too am rooting for Charles. John's words and demeanor to them were so touching and genuine.

His thoughts on Elleree's motives ;)

Hers on her "long established walls" ... but nevertheless they still can't quite disentangle from the growing interest and respect they have for each other. :)

I love how you make us simultaneously like the characters and feel their emotions.

Yup, a wow-and-melt kind of update.

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh! This was just . . . this. [face_love]

I loved seeing Elmont with the children (little Charles just stole my heart, as did the rest of the family [face_love]), and watching his opinions slowly turn and change was beautiful to watch. She has a bit of the Robin Hood syndrome on her side, and it is understandable how desperate times call for desperate measures; the crime and the reason behind it being two different things in this case. In turn, I loved her changing thoughts over his show of softness and kindness. Once again, this is a wonderful, beautifully subtle story, and I am loving every update.

And then, once again, the last few lines just cinched it. :p [face_love]=D=

9. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Nyota's Heart Thank you so much!! I really try. They are drawn to each other no matter what, they make each other's lives more fun. Elleree needs Elmont's love and stability, and Elmont needs Elleree to loosen up a bit and enjoy the good things [face_love][:D]

Mira_Jade She does have a bit of Robin Hood, I really love that idea :D Thank you so much! I am so glad you are enjoying it!! They are both going to enjoy watching each other ;) [:D]

This will be the start of a new arc and will include the events that lead up to Elmont and Elleree's first kiss. Please let me know that you think!

Part 3: Trouble​

For a number of weeks Captain Elmont did not find occasion to speak to Elleree again, though he thought about her far more often then he knew he should have. Once - or twice - he had caught himself searching for a flash of gold-red locks in the crowds of the market square. And once or twice he had seen her, watching her carefully from afar - buying vegetables, strolling down the street. One time she turned, and though she was on the other side of the market, she stared in his direction and Elmont straightened instinctively. She smiled - he knew only because she had caught him - and Elmont quirked his lips, giving her a nod as humbly as he could manage before turning away. She looked away just as quickly.

He'd dreamt about her that night. Something about the way she would look beneath him, her long, wavy hair tousled across the cream-colored linen of his pillow.

And then his duties had called on him to leave Albion to assist a neighboring kingdom to the north that had suffered a long bout of particularly ferocious storms and ongoing flooding. Cloister was lucky to have only caught the edge of the storm. It had rained for days, but not heavily.

Still it was widely known by the time he deployed of the trouble further north. Though it was peacetimes, he briefly wondered how the kingdom would fare with his absence - if Elleree would get into trouble without him there to watch her...

But the thought was dismissed. As were all other thoughts about her that happened to cross his mind.

When he returned, he did not even catch a glimpse of her for two fortnights and he forced himself not to worry. Someone such as her - she could've moved on to anywhere or anything. And he did not think of her again. If she was not here, if she was not stealing, she was not his concern.

Yes. Most certainly not his concern.

And then one brisk Autumn day, just as the leaves had fully turned their colors and chill crisped even the daylight hours she was back in his life like a flash of wild fire he could only pray to find a way to contain before one of them was burned.

Elleree Elizabeth Rowan was eight years old when her father abandoned her and her mother in the little wooden shack on the outskirts of the village in Cloister, never to be seen again.

When she was 12 her mother fell very ill. The day after her twelfth birthday was the first day Elleree stole to survive.

Her mother had planned a little celebration for her birthday and Elleree had been very excited, as little girls sometimes are, though it would only be the two of them. But as the days ticked by her mother grew sicker and weaker until she could barely even leave the bed and Elleree spent the entire day trying not to cry and hiding from her mother so she wouldn't see the disappointment she couldn't seem to help but to feel.

The next day she had been hungrier than she'd ever been in her life and she knew her mother had not eaten either. So she'd snuck out of their meager home very early in the morning, arriving at the market before the sun had even fully risen while the merchants were still setting up and she took a loaf of bread, a hunk of cheese and some apples. The most that would fit in her worn satchel.

When she arrived back home her mother didn't ask how she had come by so much food. Whether it was because she didn't want to know or she was too sick and weak to notice, Elleree would never know.

Six months later her mother passed away, and Elleree was left without anyone one else that she knew of in Cloister. She gathered what coins her mother had saved, a few articles of clothing and her mothers plain silver ring and she left the only home she'd ever known to live on the street, scared and alone.

As best as she could, she tried to live a good life, to only steal when she needed to survive, to work when she was allowed, no matter how little she was compensated and to try not to be bitter. It was not easy...but she tried.

She refused to lose her sense of self, she would not compromise her integrity, and she would not sell her soul or her body, no matter how many times horrible, rank men offered. Some offering the kind of money she had only dreamed about.

Now she was five and twenty, no worse for wear but no richer than the day her mother died. And she faced the same trials she always had.

In the past few weeks, one man in particular - an overgrown, arrogant, crude brute of a man - had taken it upon himself to offer, and offer, and offer again. And then 'offer' a bit more forcefully.

Elleree figured she was about one more ground out 'no' away from getting knocked over the head and drug into the nearest alley.

For weeks she had tried to lay low, only venturing out when she needed to, but he found her anyway, somehow.

And she was sick of it, and on the verge of becoming just a little anxious about what he might try when he tired of the game. One way or another, she wasn't going to put up with him anymore...

Drake. She thought of him as something like a cross between a snake and a dragon. Dangerous and slimy.

With too much money and no courtesy to speak of.

So the next time she saw him, some dolled up hussy on his beefy arm, she decided she was going to put him in his place but good. With any luck the Captain was still out of town, but to be honest she didn't really care.

It was easy enough...far too easy...to brush up against Drake, flutter her long eyelashes and pretend as if the fact he had another woman at his side made her more interested than she had been before. In response, Drake puffed out his chest, boisted and strutted around as if he was the prize stud. And Elleree had slipped her deft hand into his pockets while he was lewdly trying to get a glimpse down the front of her dress.

In the next moment, sifting the coins through her fingers inside her cloak, she found she had stolen more money than she ever had before. Her stomach turned at the thought, but she told herself there were many families that needed it and she would make sure it went to good use.

Elleree might have even gotten away with it. If she had left right then, left the square and hidden away somewhere. Left well enough alone.

But she couldn't rob herself of the pleasure of his humiliation as he went to buy his newest conquest something silly to win her shallow affections.

And she couldn't help herself when he pulled his coin purse out and discovered it empty. A search of his pockets proved unfruitful. The 'lady' at his side pouted and looked like she was about to stomp her foot if he didn't buy the pretty comb she wanted. Drake turned an interesting shade of pink, his eyes widening in panic. And Elleree tried to bite back a satisfied chuckle. Tried.

"Ahh," she mock-frowned, pouting her lower lip. "Did you spend all of your allowance on girls?"

She turned to cast a sympathetic look at the girl. "You might want to rethink this, dear. I hear he's lacking in - other ways as well..."

The tips of his ears turned a fiery shade of red and he took another menacing step toward her. Elleree didn't flinch but the girl he was with seemed to shrink back, a look of distaste on her face.

"Witch!" He seethed at her. Steel gray eyes flashed and they seemed to turn even colder in his anger, heartless, as he figured out she was involved.

Elleree scoffed. "Please. I don't need magic to outsmart you."

"You're a frigid, stuck up harlot," he glared at her.

"That doesn't even make sense." Elleree rolled her eyes.

He took another step toward her, his normally perfectly styled dark hair was out of place, his face flushed a deep red and his nostrils flared as he growled at her, grey eyes glinting dangerously.

"You are a worthless whore. You have nothing and nobody. Even your da had to leave you."

Deep in her chest, Elleree felt her heart clench at his hateful words, that dark quiet voice in the back of her head whispering wickedly. It's true. He's right. Worthless...

Elleree huffed out a breath shutting off her mind and her heart as she clenched her fists at her side. "Bastard," she spit at him.

The hateful glare fell from Drake's face as he straightened and seemed to compose himself frighteningly quickly, at least enough so that he didn't look like a maniac anymore. Then he looked at a point somewhere above her head before he leveled his eyes back on her. "You are a no-good, dirty criminal, and I will have you arrested."

Something clicked...as he pushed his shoulders back and looked down on her, smug, bitter. This was no idle threat.

A horrible sense of dread filled the pit of her stomach, and her eyes closed as she felt her whole body tense in defeat...

Elmont was behind her, she knew he was.

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I loved this part in the first scene:

He'd dreamt about her that night. Something about the way she would look beneath him, her long, wavy hair tousled across the cream-colored linen of his pillow. =P~ :D :D

~~!!

Next scene: My heart just ached at the fact that Ree's father left when she was 8, and she lost her mother so tragically when she was 12. My insides froze with dread at her being on the streets and then I just had to applaud her resolve to not lose her self-respect or her integrity.

~~!!

The final scene with "Drake" -- I was thrilled by her getting one over on him and humiliating him to boot. A stuck-up frigid harlot - that is totally a self-contradiction :p (Hello?)

I frankly am relieved John was there at the end; I'm curious how he'll react. Knowing Ree's character as he is beginning to, and being able to size up a no good scumbag when he sees one, LOL he probably realizes Drake is something you'd scrape off your boot. Fast. [face_laugh]

=D=

[face_love]

for the super duper update.

11. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh dear. [face_worried] First off, I love how you are subtly building the attraction between them - the glances and dreams. [face_love] You have a wonderfully lyrical way of writing that lends itself to romantic tension perfectly. [face_love]

Then, it was heartbreaking to learn of Elleree's past, but it did deepen and explain her character. Drake is the worst sort of scum, and I found my righteous indignation on her behalf soothed with her way of evening the score with him. I only hope that it doesn't bite her too terribly in return now - maybe it will just give Elmont the chance to play at the night in shining armor. With certainly more stern lecturing after than he really means. [face_laugh][face_love]

I can't wait to see the resolution of this. [face_dancing]=D=

12. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004

Nyota's Heart I'm so glad you liked all the nuances! Elmont is definitely able to size up the situation quickly but he still has his duty to uphold as well...he might have to be crafty to find a way to help her, and encourage her to try and find other options as well ;) I too love that she put Drake in his place tho, He earned it! Thank you so much [:D]

Mira_Jade Thank you so much! I love building relationships this way, slow and steady, and hopefully realistic but with a dash of magic :) Elmont has his work cut out for him, both now and later, in finding the balance between being her knight, letting her find her own way and figuring out how to be the best man for her (and Elleree is not going to make it easy for him!) - all while he just wants to scoop her into his arms and kiss her senseless [face_love] Thank you for the review, it means the world to me!

Hope everyone enjoys! Let me know what you think and as always more is on the way soon!

Many thanks to Cantate for her continuing support and thoughts with every chapter of this mess, and CathieDimly for her knowledge and help with the money aspect in this chapter, of which I am woefully inept, even in modern times.

In Elleree's sudden uncustomary silence, Drake was quick to speak up as he glared down at her. "She stole my money," he accused, folding his arms across his broad chest.

"Do you deny this?" Elmont's voice was unmistakable. Deep, authoritative, serious. Impossible to ignore. But she tried.

"Miss Rowan," he barked, urging his horse a step closer.

"Turn around if you please."

Elleree took a deep breath as she opened her eyes and turned to face the captain of the king's guard, tilting her chin to meet his chilly gaze.

"Do you deny this?" He repeated himself, his eyes grey, hard as stone.

"Can you prove it?" Elleree challenged him, cursing herself in her head for even arguing at all with someone so far above her.

From behind her, Drake growled at him. "You would give this filth a word against mine? I'm telling you, she stole from me. A Lord!"

Elleree watched as Elmont silenced Drake with one fierce look, then turned the expression to her.

Beneath her chest, her heart raced painfully at the way Elmont looked at her. Somehow she knew she was in a lot of trouble this time but she couldn't think of what to do. She'd been caught before, of course, and had never had trouble wriggling her way out of it. But Elmont was different. Formidable. And he set her off-guard in a most unsettling way. A way that made her brain freeze and her heart speed until she lost her breath.

Annoying man.

And he was staring at her now, hard, cold...and as if she was a particularly pesky fly he wished he could swat out of his way and be done with it.

This was different than the last time. Drake was here, he was angry and he would not let this go, she knew it.

And Elleree still couldn't think of anything to say. But Drake could.

"Search her!" he snarled taking a step toward them. "I had 10 silver coin. I'll wager she has exactly that on her, as she has no penny to her own name."

Fear coursed to life inside of her and Elleree was quick to subtly disperse the coins she had stolen to the various hidden pockets she had sewn to the inside of her cloak. Perhaps some would be missed and that would be enough to maintain her false innocence. She did in fact have a couple of her own coppers, but that alone would prove no trick to Elmont.

Elleree whipped her hair around as she shifted the coins inside her cloak with one hand and flailed the other at Drake in distraction. "This is nonsense," she scowled at him.

Elmont, however, was already dismounting and coming to stand beside her. "Turn out your pockets, Miss Rowan, and you can prove your innocence yourself."

Elleree set her jaw and with quick movements she turned out the one outer pocket to her cloak, and then pushed the edges aside to show the pockets of her skirt were empty as well. With a smug look, she held Elmont's stare, but he seemed unimpressed.

Behind her, Drake hissed again, like the snake he was. "I demand you search her! I know she stole my money, she was the only one near me."

Elmont sighed deeply. "Remove your cloak, if you please."

"I thought that was beneath you. You'll have me strip right here in the market?"

"Of course not. Your cloak will do."

Elleree felt her own anger curling up inside her, burning as she felt the shame and fear of the situation beginning to overwhelm her. How dare he! She would not take off her cloak, or anything else, for him, ever. She would not give him anything.

Elleree stood her ground, forcing herself to be as hard as he was and she saw his own impatience flare another notch.

"Elleree Rowan, you will comply with my orders at this moment, or I will toss you into the deepest dungeon beneath the castle with no further questions. Your insolence is only further evidence of your guilt at this point, so I suggest you start cooperating."

Elleree bit the inside of her cheek, she said nothing, she would not, but she undid the lace around her throat and flung her cloak off, tossing it at Elmont while she glared at him. She would not look at Drake. Not see the expression she knew would be on his spiteful face.

It only took Elmont the space of one moment to find all the money, 10 large silver coins and two small copper pennies, exactly as Drake had said, save her own meager earnings. He held the money in the palm of his hand assessing it before he turned his stare to her. She knew this was clear enough evidence to condemn her against a Lord's accusations.

"Do you have anything to say?" He asked her as he returned her cloak and she quickly shrugged into it. She couldn't stand the flicker of sympathy she saw in his eyes.

There was nothing she could say now. Nothing that wouldn't get her into more trouble. Elleree bit her tongue.

"Fine," Elmont clicked his tongue, shaking his head. "I believe these are yours." He reached toward Drake to hand him his money. "And I'll return these, he held up the pennies pressed between his thumb and fingers, "upon your release, should that occur. Elleree Rowan, you are under arrest for theft against a citizen of the King."

Two knights stepped forward from behind Elmont and before Elleree could blink they were holding her arms to shackle her wrists in chains. The corner of her eyes began to sting but she pushed the feeling away.

Next to her, Drake stepped forward, shaking his fist full of coins at Elmont. "These are not the correct weight," he accused, seething and looking ridiculous. "How do you know she didn't clip them?"

Elmont arched one brow. "Under her cloak? With one hand?"

"She's a witch," he scoffed. "Who knows what she's capable of."

"That's quite enough." Elmont stepped forward guiding him away while Elleree rolled her eyes. "You have your money, I'll take care of this from here. Everyone back to your business," he called to group of people that had gathered to gawk at the scene.

Drake, finally, turned and stalked away, and Elleree gave an inner sigh of relief but flushed when Elmont looked at her and she dropped her head to hide her eyes. Why would she care what he thought? She didn't know and she didn't want to think about it.

She knew he was angry with her. She thought he regretted having to arrest her but she wasn't about to let herself wonder why and she had no idea how to get out of this mess, she couldn't think.

For one moment, Elleree was afraid he was going to let them drag her along behind a horse, or worse he would drag her along himself, but he deftly caught the reins of his steed in one gloved hand and took her arm in the other.

His hand was firm and warm on her upper arm, even through layers of clothes. She forced herself not to look at him, though a part of her wanted to explain herself. She felt like an idiot for letting her emotions get the better of her and attempting something so foolish, but then she channeled it into anger at him, and Drake and every other man in the kingdom that knew they could do whatever they wanted to her.

A part of her heart knew that Elmont was not like that, not at all, but if she let the anger go, she was too afraid the tears would come. And that was not going to happen.

Taking step without another word, Elmont urged her on, silently leading her in chains toward the castle.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ouch, ouch, ouch. I know exactly why 'Ree held on to her angry veneer. Totally. It's a defense and also a way to maintain self-reliance ... [face_thinking] And she can't prove the accusation or the 'cause' of her action with Drake. But I still wish /hope he gets caught pushing himself on another lady ... and if it's a high-born one next time, he won't be able to squirm out of it with a counter-claim. What a cliffie that was though. I bet Elmont is all tangled up in conflicted emotions.

Eagerly awaiting more [face_batting] and hoping to hear more about Annie's family too. @};-

@};-

14. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Eugh, what a pig Drake is here. :mad: His smugness and self-righteousness just had my blood boiling while reading, and what a hard read it was! Elleree's anger was completely understandable for the hopelessness and unfairness of the situation. But, at the same time, Elmont was only doing his duty in arresting her - but this is one of those times when justice and the law do not match up, and I look forward both to him learning the full circumstances, and coming to terms with that. I also look forward to Elleree eventually seeing that she does have someone on her side, and embrace that. [face_love] And! That said, I loved her being unable to lie her way out of the situation to him. And her wondering why his opinion even matters to her to begin with. Why indeed, dear? [face_mischief][face_laugh][face_love] I love the way you are building their relationship slowly and surely. :)

Another wonderful update - I can't wait for more. =D=[:D]

15. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Nyota's Heart You've got everything right on! Drake will definitely have to get what's coming to him... [face_thinking] Thank you so much for reviewing! Elmont and Elleree will sort out their tangled emotions...evenutally (as you already know :p) But they'll have a lot of fun along the way! Much more coming [face_love][face_love]

Mira_Jade Elleree is definitely going to have a lot of trouble ever lying to Elmont :D And they are both right - but diametrically opposed. I think they'll have a good affect on each other in the end seeing things a different way through the others eyes. Thank you for reviewing, I appreciate it so much! And am so glad you are enjoying. More to come!

When they reached the castle, Elmont unshackled Elleree and the dungeon guards took over for him, tugging on her arm to push her into a room and leaving her there. There was nothing at all inside, except two armed guards standing at attention by the door, unmoving. It felt like forever she stood and waited; eventually she took a step back, leaning against the wall and closed her eyes, trying to calm her rush of emotions.

After too long, the door opened and Elmont came back in with more guardsmen. An icy-hot flame of fear caught in her chest as Elmont stated her charges and took a step aside to let them pull her out of the room, but to her great relief he continued to follow as they led her down a dark, dank corridor, heavy wooden doors with giant iron locks on each side. One guard opened a door at the very end of the hall and the other gave her a little shove.

Elleree stumbled, tripping into the small stone room before she could stop herself. Elmont stepped in after her, his gaze still as stony as the cell itself.

"Leave us," he said to the guard, who nodded and shut the door as he left without locking it.

Elmont turned fully toward her then, his eyes holding hers before he finally spoke. "Take a seat, please."

Elleree looked around. The only thing in the cell was a wide wood plank, held to the wall by chains, only just long enough for a man to lay down across. Swallowing, Elleree perched on the edge of the wood.

Elmont sighed, taking off his own cloak and setting it behind him as he sat next to her, obviously trying to manage his own frustration.

"What were you thinking, Elleree?"

"I wasn't." The admission was quiet but it was firm, honest.

"That much is plainly obvious." His voice rose as he spoke, and he took a breath at the end to regain his reserve.

"How did you manage it? He's twice your size. And not as stupid as he looks."

"Misdirection isn't so hard when one has breasts, you know," she said, voice wry.

For one moment his eyes flicked away from her face, but only a second and he cleared his throat before sighing again, rubbing his hand over his bearded jaw.

"What do you need the money for? The boy?"

For a moment, Elleree was silent, then she shook her head.

"Then what? Rowan, if you don't start explaining..."

"I can think of many good people that could use that money quite more than that cad."

"So because of Drake? Why?"

Elleree shook her head again, not wanting to speak, wishing more than anything he would just leave her locked in here for the rest of eternity and not look upon her with that discerning gaze ever again.

But he took her shoulder, his hand warm, turning her toward him. "Why?" His tone made it clear he would have an answer.

"He's an ass, that's why. He deserves it. Deserves to be humiliated as he would do to others. Deserves to rot in the street."

"Did he - touch you?"

Elleree shook her head, her answer whisper soft. "No...he - no. Not yet."

"But?"

"He wouldn't leave me alone." Her answer was impossibly soft, entirely unaccustomed to sharing her struggles with anyone. "I refused him on a number of occasions, but... It was only a matter of time."

"Then you should have asked for help. Not took it upon yourself to make the situation worse."

She scowled at him, folding her arms protectively across her body. "Who would believe me? Or even care. I’m a commoner, nothing, no one."

Elleree shivered then, and she wasn't sure if it was because of the encroaching cold or the intensity in his gaze.

"I would."

She gave a most unladylike snort before she could think better of it, even though her heart gave an annoying flip at the sincerity of his tone. She ignored it. "Yes, you've been such a tremendous help so far."

"Have you never had anyone be kind to you? Want to help you?"

He was angry, she could tell, frustrated with her attitude.

Elleree shook her head without looking up. "No."

"You've left me no choice, now, Rowan. You've broken the law, and you've been caught at it."

"Going to have me hung at dawn?" she snarked.

"Of course not." Elmont sighed, a deep resigned sound that fell like the weight of a rock in her stomach. "You will be punished for this." He paused, looking at her, gauging her. She sat still as a statue.

"I'm still willing to help, Elleree. If you offer your repentance now and swear to me you will never steal again I will do what I can to at least get you out of this cell tonight."

Elleree bit the inside of her cheek. Curse him to hell. What did he want from her?

She would not. She couldn't. Not when she was right. What harm would befall a fool Lord who couldn't buy his next bedpost notch a frivolous, meaningless present?

But Elmont seemed determined as ever and just as stubborn as she. "It's very cold and it will only get colder. You do not want to stay here."

Elleree swallowed, daring to look into his eyes. If he felt guilty for locking her in here, that was his problem. He would have to live with it. "Would you be kind enough to tell Annie I won't be home? She'll worry..."

"Fine, then. It's your choice." Elmont was livid, it was clear but gripping his control in a stolid, iron fist.

"I've slept in much worse places." She said, not sure if the statement was to challenge him or assure him.

"So it shall be."

Without another look he was gone, and despite her resolve she flinched as the lock clanged outside the door with a grim sort of finality.

For a moment, Elleree felt cold fear grow in her chest and tears welled within her eyes with a stinging urgency. She shivered again and wrapped her arms tighter around herself as she stared at the bleak iron door. She thought of her mother, fighting her sickness to the bitter end with every ounce of her waning strength and she thought of every day since, every day she had fought herself, surviving all on her own. Then she got up, forcing herself to stand tall. She had made a mistake and she would learn from it. It was cold here, but it was safe. And there were no men, at least.

Eyeing the torch above her on the wall to her right, she took a breath and strengthened her resolve. Carefully she used the one burning torch to light the other three around the cell.

It would not be so bad, she told herself, with this small amount of light and warmth burning all night. It was dry and there were no rats or filth. Indeed she had experienced much worse nights.

Sighing, Elleree suddenly felt tired, exhausted, and she returned to the wooden cot resolved to try and get some rest.

When she turned and saw what lay there, she gasped, and closed her eyes, fighting once more with all her might against the tears that had been threatening for an hour.

Elmont had left his thick, woolen cloak. There was no doubt in her mind that he had left it on purpose.

For a moment she considered tossing it to the floor so he could find it crumpled and unused in the morning, but she quickly chided herself a right fool.

The brown cloth was draped neatly on the bench, but Elleree reached for it cautiously as if it might explode in flames when she touched it. It did not.

Cautiously, wearily, Elleree laid down, curling up on the cell's wooden bed and she pulled Elmont's cloak up and around her shoulders, tucking it under her chin with her hands. She took a deep breath. The material was still warm, and it smelled...nice. Like him, she could only imagine. Elleree couldn't help but feel comforted; it was quite wonderful.

And she fell asleep easily then, thinking about Elmont and how he was most certainly the most irritating man she had ever known.

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I am glad she was able to tell him as much as she did. She probably isn't used to others' kindness or asking for help. Part of that is self-reliance and part is being cautious as to whom to trust.

Leaving the cloak and his sincere words of caring ... :)

But this:

"And she fell asleep easily then, thinking about Elmont and how he was most certainly the most irritating man she had ever known." LOL

A true sign she's falling/has fallen already ;)

:D

17. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, but I loved this update. (Really, that is becoming a trend. :p)

She scowled at him, folding her arms protectively across her body. "Who would believe me? Or even care. I’m a commoner, nothing, no one."

Elleree shivered then, and she wasn't sure if it was because of the encroaching cold or the intensity in his gaze.

"I would."

Ouch, ouch, ouch! :(

I loved how blunt and back and forth their conversation was - there was no holds barred on either side, and you can understand her bitterness as well as you can understand his frustration - especially when she chose the cell over walking free with a promise not to steal again. I especially like how she didn't lie about that to get herself out - she has her own code and honor, and in many ways, it's more than most have. :(

Her line about sleeping in worst places broke my heart - but I loved him leaving his cloak for her. That was just the perfect gesture, and I had a wonderful warm feeling fill me for reading that. [face_love]

And then . . .

Cautiously, wearily, Elleree laid down, curling up on the cell's wooden bed and she pulled Elmont's cloak up and around her shoulders, tucking it under her chin with her hands. She took a deep breath. The material was still warm, and it smelled...nice. Like him, she could only imagine. Elleree couldn't help but feel comforted; it was quite wonderful.

And she fell asleep easily then, thinking about Elmont and how he was most certainly the most irritating man she had ever known.

Just perfect. [face_love] (And beautifully written, at that. Have I mentioned lately how much I enjoy your prose? :p)

=D=

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    In my happy happy joy moments, I imagine what a fic by Ashley and Mira would look like if ever they collaborated -- and it just just blisses me out! [face_batting] LOL ^:)^

Mira_Jade and serendipityaey like this.
  19. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    You are TOO sweet and lovely!!! <3 But I fear my level of writing nowhere matches Mira's, lol! She is so elegant and composed :D

Mira_Jade and Nyota's Heart like this.
  20. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Nyota's Heart Thank you so much! You have it right - and she's certainly not used to anyone like Elmont at all [face_mischief] But he means to try, and try well [face_love] Thanks! [:D]

Mira_Jade Awww, thank you! Your kind words mean so much. Elleree will find that she won't ever be able to quite fully lie all the way to Elmont, especially when it comes to herself, but it will be difficult for her to open up to him, until she sees all their lives flash before her eyes (Giants are good for something! ;) ) I'm so glad you liked him leaving his cloak! That was something very important i wanted to write. He will find lots of ways to sure her little gestures of kindness she can't turn down in the future, I think :) Thanks!

At the very break of dawn, Elleree was awoken by the clang of the lock outside her door. Confusion set in for a moment before she remembered where she was, then surprise took over when she realized she had actually managed to sleep at all in her cold cell.

Yawning, she nuzzled her face into her blanket before remembering it was Elmont's cloak.

She had dreamed of him... The two of them alone, his expression shining with promise and tenderness, his eyes catching fire with a heat that was unmistakable...

The door scraped the stone floor as it was pushed open and Elleree sat up quickly, pulling the woolen cloak on as if it was armor. One of the King's guards stepped through, eying her coldly. "Come with me."

Elleree stood. Her muscles were stiff and cold, and she made to wrap her arms around herself but the guard stepped forward, grasping her upper arm and urging her forward before she could.

Elleree dipped her head, fighting the urge to growl at him or pull away. The trouble she was already in was plenty enough for one week. Still she couldn't seem to ignore the anxious unease building in her chest.

"Where are you taking me?" she asked, and then cursed herself for speaking out of turn.

The guard gave her a look that shook her to her core and she swallowed past a lump in her throat. Unconsciously, she clenched her hands, wondering what it would feel like to loose a finger or two...or worse.

"To the Captain," was his curt reply, his grip tightening around her arm.

Elleree took a breath. Was that good or bad? She couldn't decide and she couldn't banish the gnawing feeling that was growing in the pit of her stomach.

The guard led her up a long set of stone steps and she had almost decided it was more in her favor than not when they approached a door ajar and he all but pushed her in.

The expression on Elmont's face was as stony as the walls that had surrounded her all night and twice as intimidating. He sat at a desk in the small room, dim morning light from a broad window on the far wall casting the room in abstract shadows, the flame from a lamp on the desk highlighting his features in golden hues. He looked worn.

The door shut behind her, and Elleree started, turning around to find the room empty behind her. Elmont stood, his gaze steady and unwavering.

"I've spoken to the King and the Princess as well, and I'll take you before their majesties now. I suggest you cooperate as best you can and that you plead guilty to the charges that are brought forth, if you want my help."

Elleree bit the inside of her cheek, and glared at him. The bullying... He would make sure she had no choice but to submit.

He took a step toward her. The look on his face did not soften, but she swore she saw something flicker in his eyes. "I'm doing everything I can, Miss Rowan. I hope my efforts aren't proven in vain."

Elleree shook her head after one moment's hesitation but she couldn't quite bring herself to hold his stare. It was disconcerting the way he could see right through her every facade.

With little other choice, Elleree let him lead her out of his office and into the main halls of the castle. She tried not to fidget, or gawk at the opulence...more than she ever could have dreamed; she even tried not to breathe.

At every step it felt as if her heart quickened until she was sure it was going to stutter and give out completely. In minutes they reached the huge doors that marked the entrance of the throne room and the guards stationed there opened the doors upon their approach.

Elmont nodded at each of them, and Elleree felt her face flush from her building nerves and fear. There was a long, long promenade and she could see King Brahmwell sitting in his throne far ahead of them, Princess Isabelle standing at his side. She took a deep breath, feeling it hitch in her throat, and for a moment she thought her knees would turn to jelly.

Elmont tightened his grip upon her, glancing at her and though they were nothing of friends at the moment, she was somehow grateful for his strong, steady presence at her side. She managed to regain her step without tripping and they came closer to the King, looking stern and formidable.

Elmont stopped the appropriate amount of distance from the throne and Elleree dropped to her knee, her face down. Really she couldn't bear to look up. Did the King really need to judge her over the matter of a few coin? This was Elmont's doing, she was sure of it.

She swallowed, fighting every urge and instinct she had to flee within her body and waited for the king to speak. Still when he spoke her name, his voice seeming to boom in the hall, it made her jump and she nearly toppled over.

Her voice was shaky and weak, but she managed to answer. "Yes, your majesty."

"You are charged with petty theft. You've stolen from a citizen of the crown, a Lord, in the market. How do you plea, Elleree Rowan?"

Elleree swallowed again, risking a glance at Elmont, who stood at her side. She had to crane her neck to look up at him; his expression was certain. She quickly looked away.

"I - guilty, your majesty."

King Brahmwell sat back in his throne, his expression pensive and shared a look with Elmont.

"I've discussed this matter at length with my Captain. He informs me you've been harassed in the past and present by this Lord Drake, and that his character is questionable."

Elleree started with shock, her eyes going wide. She opened her mouth and closed it again, staring at the king. She could feel Elmont's unwavering presence at her side - supporting her, not stifling her.

"Is this true?" The king asked.

Elleree swallowed. "Y-yes, your majesty. That is true."

"Captain Elmont has also informed me of the good work you have done, though you have little of your own, you spend your time and energy helping those in need."

"Yes, your majesty. When I am able, I do."

"However," he continued, "you must understand that under no circumstances will thievery be tolerated in this kingdom, even if you think you are helping. I can't allow any crime against the kingdom to go unpunished."

"I understand, your majesty." Elleree's heart was racing in her chest, so much she wasn't even sure how she was speaking except she knew she must cooperate with the utmost courtesy in this, as Elmont said. And he was very much someone she wanted on her side, she suspected.

"I see this as a petty crime...and not without good intention, and your first offense." The king eyed her and Elleree tried not to waver, not to tremble or tumble to the floor though her knees were starting to ache on the unforgiving marble.

"I've discussed this with the princess as well." He glanced at his daughter and Elleree thought perhaps it wasn't entirely to his favor that the princess was involved but she admired the young girl for wanting to be more active in kingdom matters. "And we've decided a punishment of service to the kingdom would be most prudent in this instance."

Isabelle cast her a soft smile and Elleree glanced from her, back to the king, her eyes going wide again. "Y-your majesty?"

"I've had the idea to create a community garden at the castle," Isabelle spoke up, her voice and her eyes soft with kindness. "A place where folk could come and work the land, good land, and grow food for their families in return. We will provide the crops to start, and continue to do so as needed. But we need someone to start the work and help manage it. I've been told there are some crops that would do well for late summer and autumn."

Elleree nodded, holding her breath. The princess's gaze shifted to Elmont for one moment. The corner of her lips quirked charmingly, then she smiled at Elleree again.

"I thought this might be a good project for you, in service to the kingdom, for your crime. You can repay your debt, while helping others at the same time."

Clasping her hands in front of her, Elleree swallowed. "Of course, your majesties," she said quickly, afraid this was too good to be true, that they could change their minds at any moment.

"You will start tomorrow, for the duration of one month. You are dismissed." King Brahmwell nodded to Elmont who reached for her arm to help her up. He held her arm gently as he led her out and was silent until they reached the courtyard.

Letting go, he turned to face her, but his expression was soft and she took a quiet breath of relief. She had no idea how she was feeling, a tumult of different emotions racing through her, but when Elmont looked at her, everything else seemed to fall away. And then he spoke, his voice steady.

"There's more."

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    What a perfect and compassionate solution!! Brilliant and wonderful. Allowing Ree to "pay off her debt" while helping others and earning an honest wage too, in order to help Annie and her family. @};-

But Ree's dream, yowsa, speaks volumes doesn't it? :) :) What the subconscious reveals LOL

=D=

^:)^

22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I have to agree with Deb - this really was the most perfect solution! I am glad that the King and Princess were more sensible to the morals of the situation, rather than the exact letter of the law in order to see true justice served. And I love, love, loved that Elmont was able to help her in this way. [face_love] It really is as telling as her dream. [face_mischief]:p

I am looking forward to the 'there's more' now, though. [face_thinking]

I am most definitely eager for more. =D=

serendipityaey and Nyota's Heart like this.
  23. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004

Oh it definitely does!! :p What can I say? Elmont is a genius. And he *wants* her to succeed. Maybe partially for selfish reasons as well ;) Thank you so much for reviewing! I am so sorry it's taken me this long!

I looked up Medieval court type stuff when I was writing this...and yeah...not doing that. Lol! I really think Elmont would totally be like this tho, and Isa as well. Fair, unique solutions and all. And well...he loves her so ;)[face_love] There is definitely more and I am so sorry for taking so long!!! Thank you so much for the support!

You guys I am the worst! How could I have just left it there! argh. Well hopefully I can make it up to you now [face_love][face_love][face_love] So sorry again. Hope you enjoy! And I'm updating Fallen as well, so please check it out :) Love you!!

Elleree took a swift breath as a flash of anxiety coursed through her but she forced herself to be as calm as he seemed to be. This was his fault, his doing. She felt like he was testing her and she wished she could be mad at him, but she also knew he probably had everything to do with her more than fair sentence. What more there could be, though, she had no idea...

Elmont took a breath as she watched him, looking up to the castle for a moment and then back to her. "I spoke to Princess Isabelle about the boy as well."

"The boy?" Elleree squinted at him. "Charlie?"

"Yes." Elmont braced his hands on his hips, looking down at her, his face serious. "I saw him last night..." he trailed off.

Elleree blinked, not sure she actually expected Elmont to tell Annie she would not be home. "How was he?"

"The same, I expect, as the last you saw him. Not well."

Elleree nodded, looking down to her hands and fighting her emotions. She was...angry, angry at Elmont for tossing her in the dungeon all night. Yes. Angry. She hardened her expression before she looked up at him again.

"As I said, I spoke to the princess about him. In addition - if you agree to continue to do your best to help with this project, whole-heartedly, and in repayment for your dedication should you show it, she would like to help the boy."

Elleree took a sharp breath. Did he mean...

"The princess would like to take him in for a few days where he can stay under constant watch of the royal doctor and healers. They can figure out a plan of treatment for him while he rests in all the comfort we can provide. After that, the healers can visit him at his home each day and ensure he receives the best care."

"Elmont..." Elleree breathed. The corner of his mouth lifted in a smile. "I mean, Captain. That's very generous. I - I don't know what..."

"It was Princess Isabelle's idea. And quite a good one, I think."

"And Annie?" Elleree couldn't bear to tear Annie away from her baby, even if it was only for a few days.

"She is, of course, welcome to visit, or stay with her son whenever she wishes. I have no desire to separate a mother from her child."

Elleree smiled despite herself, she couldn't help it. This man...

"That's very kind. I - I hope it...works."

Elmont gave her a soft smile. "I hope it's enough."

Awkward silence filled the space between them. Elleree took a step back as she noticed people were glancing at them inquisitively. "Am I free to go?"

Elmont nodded after a moment. "You are to be here at dawn tomorrow. One of my guards will meet you, and take you to the royal groundskeeper. The princess might be there as well at some point."

"Will I see you?" She asked, and then wished she hadn't.

"No. I have other duties to attend to."

"Just as well." She looked down, acting as though she was fascinated by her fingernails, at least far more than she was fascinated by him. "I'd rather not see you anyway; I'm not very happy with you at the moment."

Elmont chuckled and the sound startled her. She glanced up at him sharply.

"After all I've done?" he teased. "Would you rather spend your month in the dungeon?"

Elleree shrugged, biting back her own smile. "If it means I don't have to see you for a month... It wouldn't be all bad."

The captain laughed out loud at that and she couldn't keep her lips from quirking. No, no she didn't want to spend anymore time in there at all. The next time he caught her she would be much better prepared with an argument in her favor.

The thought of the cold night spent in the dungeon reminded her that she was still wearing his cloak. She slipped it off her shoulders and lifted it toward him before she could consider keeping it for herself.

No words left her lips but he smiled warmly as he took it back anyway. "You're welcome," he said teasingly.

Elleree glanced heavenward. And then she smiled back.

The market was busy, so instead of returning to Annie's home Elleree found work with a merchant, moving crates of produce for him and arranging the food on display to be sold. When she was done, he gave her a couple coppers and some leftover vegetables. She made haste for Annie's home.

Annie was preparing supper when Elleree came in, and she lifted her brow at her in silent question as Elleree closed the door behind her. She looked concerned, but dying of curiosity as well, and Elleree shook her head quickly, silently promising to tell her all about it once the children were asleep, later.
    Charlie ate well that evening, better than usual and fell asleep quickly.

Much later that night, they took a blanket out to settle in the grass under the tree in the yard, each with a small cup of wine as the children slept in the house.
    "How was your day?" Annie asked cautiously.

"I worked in the market, made a little money... I know that's not what you want to know about though."

A slow smile lit her friend's face. "Please tell me," Annie started, a teasing glint in her warm brown eyes, "that you spent the night wrapped up in the arms of that captain Elmont, and his talk about you being in trouble was all an elaborate cover for your torrid love affair."

"Annie!" Elleree tried to look offended but she couldn't help but laugh. Annie giggled as she took a sip of wine and Elleree shook her head. "Your husband's been gone too long."

"Well, I certainly won't argue with that," Annie sighed. "So how much trouble are you in?"

Elleree took a breath. "I think the captain got me out of most of it."

"He seems like a sweet boy," Annie smiled knowingly.

"Boy?" Elleree scoffed. "Sweet? Irritating...insufferable man. That's what he is."

Annie clicked her tongue. "Sounds like someone's smitten," she said.

Elleree narrowed her eyes at her.

"Come now," Annie continued. "You can't deny how handsome he is."

A long sigh escaped her lips as Elleree pictured him in her mind, she couldn't help herself. "I suppose," she finally admitted.

Annie laughed and gave her a look, one that told her she knew exactly what she was thinking and Elleree sighed again, but her lips quirked and she turned away, sipping her wine.

He was handsome, just about everything about him appealed to her, but more than that...his smile, and good lord, his eyes...

"And that black leather armor," Annie spoke again, eyeing Elleree with a grin. "Did you notice the way he looks in that armor? I bet he's very strong, and he's so serious...what would it take to really shake him up -"

"Annie!" Elleree interrupted her, but when Annie made a face at her the two fell into a fit of giggles.

When they recovered, Elleree deftly turned the conversation to Annie's sewing, and the children, and she managed to avoid the subject of Elmont and how he might look both in and out of his armor.

They didn't talk about it...but that didn't mean Elleree stopped thinking about it.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    serendipityaey - strolled back into this side of the forum and guess what I found?! [face_dancing] This! this! [face_love] :* :* [face_dancing] Ahem, yay! LOL Sweet of Elmont to mention Annie and her son's plight to Isabelle [face_relieved] I think getting the best of medical attention will definitely be of benefit, if anything can be. And the teasing/banter. :) [face_sigh] So H/L-ish. Thanks for that bit of nostalgia. [face_laugh] ;)

25. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you so much! And you're welcome! I love love love the banter ;) Elmont really truly cares so much and like any smart, smitten man, he knows the true way into her heart is to make sure and take of the ones that she loves ;) It means so much to me that you reviewed this! And thank you for the review on Fallen on the saga board as well!

Another update here within the week

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.