main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jagged Fel vs Kyp Durron

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BigSllim, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigSllim

BigSllim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    I read alot of negative feed back about Jag, but I like the authors trying to add some dimension to his character. But I'm biased because I like good pilots.

What do you all think of him, and Alston's decision to insert some grey areas between him and the Chiss?

I also feel that alot more tension could have been created in the story line if the authors played more on Kyp's relationship with Jaina, as opposed to hooking her up with Jagged Fel. But either way could end up as a positive. What do you all think?

2. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Thought he was a terribly Uberific character in Ruin, a good/great character in DJ, and a completely different person in the EL duology :)

3. NIGHTBROTHER__DH

NIGHTBROTHER__DH Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    I like Jag as a pilot and as a friend to Jaina, but I think that he is too big of a stiff to be reall compatible with the Solo sense of humor........

That is why Jaina really does need to hook it up with Kyp.......

Their kid would be like ten times tougher than Ben Skwalker...........

Anakin Durron......that has a ring to it

4. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    Pretty much the same here RF, but I thought he was different in RD (I say RD because he was hardly in RS) because he was colder towards Jaina at first. My explanation for that was that he was feeling rebuffed and a little confused by Jaina on Hapes, but he still wanted to contribute to the fight and he still liked her, so he went on to Borleias. Then he finally had an oppourtunity to show her how she felt during that one scene. Either way, I like the guy.

5. NIGHTBROTHER__DH

Jul 14, 2002
    Now that this forum has suddenly been changed from Jagged Fel to vs. Kyp Durron........ I like Kyp Durron, so I am a bit biassed, but as a love interest I think Kyp should win........I mean Kyp actually has a witty remark every once in a while...... only when Jag is drunk is he witty.......I just think that he needs to loosen his uniform a little, and then maybe Ill be able to stand him..........and besides.......if they did get married......
    would you want your kids living in completely disciplined, militaristic society like Chiss space......that is so un-Solo........

Jag will die soon anyways, and then Kyp and Jaina will get together, didnt Kyp kind of foreshadow that anyways>>>>>>>>> we'll see...

hopefully it will happen, if not..........

Kyp and Danni need to get together........

6. BigSllim

Jul 15, 2002
    I think that Allston is trying to loosen up the Jag Fel character. In RD, when Wedge and Tycho talk about making him a true rebel (paraphrase) and his predicting Jaina's actions to get under her skin. Then in RS with the corny romance and corny drinking scene on the roof. It's a start is what I'm getting at. Jag is a decent character that has the potentiaal to be a very good character. Kyp is already a great character that has the potential to be an unbelievable character.

7. Talon_Karrde_

Talon_Karrde_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2000
    I think Jag is an awesome character...we need someone new in the "inner circle" and he just might bring a little life with him.

8. NIGHTBROTHER__DH

Jul 14, 2002
    I couldnt have said it better...........

and yes.....that drinking/midnight picnic scene was lame.......but it was kind of funny to see a Jedi Master knocking back a few shots......... I didnt think that Jedi were allowed to get intoxicated

9. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I like Kyp and all, but I think I'd rather see Jaina with Jag. He's more her age, AND he's related to Wedge. If she married him, Wedge would be her uncle by marriage.

And Wedge rules.

Seriously, no offense to Kyp, but I just don't see him with Jaina. I think he's too old for her.

He's not a bad character, but he can be annoying sometimes.

10. Talon_Karrde_

Talon_Karrde_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2000
    Ya, that's the way I see it...when I read about Kyp and Jaina it gives me a weird "old man, little girl" feeling. I'm all for the Jag and Jaina thing.

11. NIGHTBROTHER__DH

Jul 14, 2002
    yeah........

kind of like Han and Leia..............

I mean........yeah........their difference in age is about the same as Han and Leia's..........

Interesting............................

12. jacensky315

jacensky315 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2002
    Jag rules and kicks @$$ in his clawcraft. Kyp is a pansie now. Liked him better when he opposed Luke more. Now he pines for a gil he will never get and daydreams while a one bad @$$ pilot steals her. :D

13. BigSllim

Jul 15, 2002
    I too enjoyed seeing a Jedi take it to the head. The reason I didn't want Jag and Jaina to get together so soon was that it eliminated a source of tension in the story line. The three-way dynamic of Kyp-Jaina-Jag was tough for Jaina, and was bringing her character an extra dimension. To resolve the issue for her so quickly eased her struggle, if only a little. I think that the Jag/Jaina relationship could make some good story, but for now, it would have been good to keep Jaina frustrated.

14. jacensky315

jacensky315 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2002
    True. Jacen is better then them all though. Jag is cool though.

15. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Peh, Wedge is SORELY overrated.

And I'm sorry, but even I, a fanfic writer, shy away from making everybody important related to everybody important. That's the WORST reason why Jaina and Jag should marry. Now, maybe if she were to provide his family with a good dowry. . .but they don't talk about stuff like that. It's obvious that relationships are chosen by the individuals and not the families, so it really shouldn't matter beyond "do the families like each other?" If it were an arranged marriage then we could talk power and influence, but it really doesn't seem to apply in this case.

Not to mention that even though you have two parents that are good at something (in this case piloting) it doesn't guarantee that you'll also be good at that something. Jag and Jaina could have a child that's more like Jacen and hates piloting. Jaina and Kyp could have a force-blind child. Nothing is for certain. It's called "don't count your chickens before they hatch". :)

Jae Angel

16. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    You do realize I'm just kidding around, right?

But no, Wedge is NOT overrated.

:p

17. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Oh yes he is!! :p He's like the only character around that NOBODY ever complains about. Even Luke and Han get more crap than Wedge. Well, I'm here to be the first person to say I'm not that impressed with Wedge. :)

Jae Angel

18. Lord_Darth_Bob

Lord_Darth_Bob Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 29, 2001
    Wedge is awesome. No contest. No one knocks him because he's awesome.

19. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    No, Wes is awesome. Wedge is just boring and ordinary. :)

Jae Angel

20. Thyrsan4Blood

Thyrsan4Blood Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    Without Wedge, the GFFA would still be taking it up the butt from the YV. He singlehandedly has begun to turn the tide of the war.

I like Jag. but he's not going to end up with Jaina. It's obvious by the way the plot has been developing. There's no such thing as an easy relationship in SW, and so far Jag & Jaina has hit very little bumps. Kyp & Jaina make a more interesting story for some people. Personally, I don't want to see them together. 11 years worked for Han & Leia, but it just seems repititious with Kyp & Jaina at 15 years.

The story is too predictable. Jag will go back to the UR, rally the Chiss, come back and help save the day and die in the process. And that will push Jaina closer to Kyp. And I'm going to gag when that happens.

21. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    If anything concerning Wedge, he is underrated. With his accomplishments, he should be right up there. Think about it. He's the only pilot to ever survive two Death Stars, never mind that he liberated Coruscant!

Wedge is the man!

And, Jag is way cooler then that whiner, mass murderer Kyp!

22. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Everyone has respect for Wedge, no one knocks him.

As for Jag v Kyp:
    I think that Jag is so much of a better romantic love interest for Jaina because he isn't a Jedi. Also I think that Kyp is too old but then again there is the people live longer in GFFA thing. But Kyp got better as a character and of course, I loved the picnic

23. Obi_Wans_love_child

Obi_Wans_love_child Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    And I'm sorry, but even I, a fanfic writer, shy away from making everybody important related to everybody important. That's the WORST reason why Jaina and Jag should marry. Now, maybe if she were to provide his family with a good dowry. . .but they don't talk about stuff like that. It's obvious that relationships are chosen by the individuals and not the families, so it really shouldn't matter beyond "do the families like each other?" If it were an arranged marriage then we could talk power and influence, but it really doesn't seem to apply in this case.

I agree with ya NJ. I think Jag and Jaina should marry just so people can start more threads about this damn subject. I can see it now the "Why Jaina should have married Kyp instead of Jag" thread or the "Jaina's mistake in marrying a non-force user" thread. Oh if only i could inflect sacrastic vocal tones while people read this aloud.

No, Wes is awesome. Wedge is just boring and ordinary.

At one time I would have agreed with you NJ except because of two instances in two seperate books. Both Allston books of course, but books which I think showed just how complex Wedge can be. The first being his cruel cruel pay back to Wes, where Wes wears a Ewok as a bathing suit. (I still laugh when i read that quote) Second being as Wedge leaves Iella's after a night of making star wars whoopee, he tells Wes go up and shoot down the Sun and if I remember correctly he even skips a bit or something like that. Since that time I have seen Wedge written to show all aspects of his character.

Without Wedge, the GFFA would still be taking it up the butt from the YV. He singlehandedly has begun to turn the tide of the war.

Yeah Tycho and the rest of the insiders had nothing to do with any of what Wedge has done. Again I wish sarcasm could be inserted here.

Oh and finally, please no more threads on this. This is like what the 731 thread on this subject. People, please stop the madness!!!!

24. Deneveon

Deneveon Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I've said this in the dozens of other threads, and I'm going to say it again.

Kyp all the way. :D

25. jedi_j76

jedi_j76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Everyone knows Jag is better! Kyp isn't a horrible character, but he's like 16 years older than Jaina! I'm hoping for Jag!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.