1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest.

New feature: The Art of Disney…Now discussing:

Art Archive Jaina Byrd's... well, art. =) (Two new fun wallpapers 6/21)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Jaina Byrd, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. Jaina Byrd Force Ghost

star 4
    Hi all. I've been lurking here in the Fan Art forum for a little over a year now. It began because I was dying for some Gavin Darklighter art (which I still haven't been able to find [face_laugh] ). Now I've realized that this may be a good place for me to share much of my art. :) I've primarily been a wallpaper-er for a couple years, but have lately been creeping my way into creating my own digital art. I've never been one for drawing, but when it comes to Photoshopping, something clicks and I begin to get a hang of this art thing!

So without further ado, this is my latest piece that I'm working on:
    [image=http://web.nmsu.edu/~andreag/StarWars/Lightsaber_03.jpg]
    Yes, I know it looks stupid resized.

I'm self-taught on Photoshop, and I'm trying to refine my skills in lighting and various other blending effects. I'm having trouble making the hilt look round; if you have any suggestions on how I can make this thing look a little more realistic, let me know. :)

Other Original Art - (Yeah, yeah, I know, I don't have much here, but I'm working on it!)
    Serenity - I made some fanart of the "Serenity" logo from the side of the ship. (Yes, the ship Serenity from Firefly.)

Wallpapers - (Art featured in this section is not my property; most is from the beautiful Japanese NJO Covers. Other art includes screencaps from movies and TV shows that also do not belong to me.)
    A practically psychedelic set of NJO Knights and Masters.
    My current (Feb. 2006) favorite wallpaper- featuring Jacen Solo.
    Similar to the above wallpaper, this features Jaina Solo.
    Jaina and Jacen Solo.
    The crowd pleaser; a clean set of NJO Jedi.
    Accidentally labeled "Snowtrooper," this features concept art of a Hoth Rebel soldier.
    A few of the Young Jedi Knights.
    Pass on what you have learned...
    Winds and Flames, Messengers and Swords
    YJK Class Reunion Tabloid *spoilery!*

I also have several Firefly/Serenity wallpapers, but I won't put them up here unless someone's really interested.

I'm also on DeviantArt as user: Jemiru. :)
  2. BigFatty Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice wallpapers. I really wish I had more time to learn more about Photoshop so I can figure out how to do effects like that.
  3. academygrad88 Force Ghost

star 5
    Excellent work! I just got photoshop and can't figure it out at all. [face_worried]

Hopefully I will one day get the hang of it. You look like you have a good handle on the program. Your stuff looks fantastic.

Welcome to the FanArt Forum!!

AG88
  4. Siths_Herald Minnesota CR, MNFF Co-Leader

Chapter Rep
    star 2
  5. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Welcome to the Fan Art forum!

Like yourself, I'm self-taught in PS as well. Got the program one day and just started to mess with it. I'm now in my second year of college and I'm finally getting a class on the thing. :p

Your wallpapers are quite nice. I say you have a pretty good handle on PS as a whole. For the piece you asked help with - is that completely hand-drawn in PS? If so, did you use the pen tool, pencil or just put it together with shapes? Once we get that panned out, maybe I'll be able to help you out. :)
  6. Chilla Force Ghost

star 4
    :eek: I'm also self-teaching Photoshop, but I'm afraid I'm not as good as you. Please, you have to tell me how you've done the Jacen wallpaper and the Jaina wallpaper. It's a very cool style! =D=
  7. Jaina Byrd Force Ghost

star 4
    HanSolo29: I have been doing this with shapes. Unfortunately (and rather embarassingly), I never taught myself the basics of the pen tool or anything to do with vectors. Almost all pieces of the lightsaber are on their own layers, at this point. I was assisted with some lighting issues by a guy over on DeviantArt (you can see my originally posted version here ). However, I feel that maybe the lighting from the lightsaber color was overdone.

Chilla: Although I am certainly not the first person to lead a tutorial on that particular style of fanart desktops, I'll do what I can to take you through my steps. :) (Bear in mind that I have never made a Photoshop tutorial before in my life, and making the instructions out to be very basic. I have a friend who I'm teaching Photoshop to who will be using this, and she only kind of has the basics down in Photoshop.)
    1. Open a New image at your screen's resolution with a white fill. Now choose two large, high-resolution images that you would like to use. I typically try to find a fair headshot and a full body shot. And honestly? The way I like to do things, the more colorful, the better. Try to keep the images on separate layers. In my case, the first layer looked like this:
    [image=http://web.nmsu.edu/~andreag/StarWars/JacenSoloTutorial/01.jpg]
    (I got really lucky in that the Japanese artist who made this really basically GAVE me such great material to work with.)

Layers you should have now, as ordered in your "Layers" window:
    3. Original Image #2
    2. Original Image #1
    1. White Background

2. Now you'll want to create a new layer that will basically create borders around each of your images- crossways, up-and-down, on the edges, and so forth. I'm a big fan of white space, so I tend to add a lot. To do this, just use your rectangular shape tool (colored white in my case, but you may choose to do something a bit more cream-colored; it gives it a more aged, sepia look). Now comes the fun part of erasing parts of the "borders" to make them look worn. Use default erasers like Chalk, Spatter, and Oil on Canvas at different sizes and drag them quickly from the white area to over the picture. You can also elect to just intermittently to create spatters of color throughout the white areas. :) I've got this:
    [image=http://web.nmsu.edu/~andreag/StarWars/JacenSoloTutorial/02.jpg]
    Again, I got lucky here; the dark image of Jacen was right in the middle of the entire wallpaper, so I entirely erased (messily, you'll note, to keep the motif going) the white "borders" over where the dark Jacen is standing.

Layers you should have now, as ordered in your "Layers" window:
    4. White Borders
    3. Original Image #2
    2. Original Image #1
    1. White Background

3. Here comes the fun and easy task of manipulating gradients and flood-fills for our use! You will be creating two new layers in this step. So, go ahead and set up your first new layer and set up a simple yellow-to-blue gradient. I believe that there is one somewhere in your default settings. Yellow and blue will help to somewhat mute the tones we've got. So go ahead and fill that layer with the yellow-to-blue gradient, and then set the Blending Option to "Color" (as opposed to "Saturation" or "Overlay) and set Opacity to 62% and Fill to 55%.

Now create another layer! Choose a simple, muted yellow or orange; I chose orange because it gives skin-tones a warmer look. Fill this new layer with the muted orange/yellow, and then set the Blending Option to "Color Burn" and change the Fill to 57% (in my case, I did not change the opacity on this layer- you may choose to, if you feel that the color needs to be more toned down). This is what it changed to:
    [image=http://web.nmsu.edu/~andreag/StarWars/JacenSoloTutorial/03.jpg]
    Now doesn't that look much cooler?!

Layers you should have now:
    6. Orange/Yellow "Color Burn"
    5. Yellow-to-Blue Gradient "Color"
    4. White Borders
    3. Original Image #2
    2. Orig
  8. academygrad88 Force Ghost

star 5
    ACK!!!:eek: That is a lot of work!

Thanks for the tutorial. I need to print it off for reference.

AG88
  9. Chilla Force Ghost

star 4
    [:D] Thank you very very much! [:D] Can't believe you've done this tutorial just for me!
    Just have tried this and it's great! Every step makes sense! (my steps often don't and then I can delete 5 layers....)
    *beams*
  10. Jaina Byrd Force Ghost

star 4
    I very muchly wanted to share, and I'm glad you liked it. ;) I'd love to see what you came up with!
  11. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    It never ceases to amaze me how original people can be with PS--even though most of the images are widely known, every PS artist manages to make unique pieces with them, and yours are no exception, Jaina Byrd! Great wallpapers, all--nice uncluttered compositions, and good use of cropping and color as well. I do have to say, tho, that I really liked your "Rebel Soldier on Hoth:" the detailing of the costuming there, with the snow-axe and emergency blanket rolled up under the survival pack, is just awesome--and I loved the quote, too (from our poor Dack, who didn't survive the battle for Hoth... :_| ;) )--very effective! I also like the Serenity logo--with the texturing of the surface there, we definitely get a feel for some of the action that the poor vessel has seen...yikes! Very realistic, that. And I'm sure everyone enjoyed the tutorial, too (I'm a "digital idiot," so it's all over my head...)--very kind of you to go to the trouble of putting it together. I'll add my welcome to the forum, and we'll be looking forward to more work!

FF
  12. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    Jaina, your work is great!

My favorites are the Jacen, the Jaina, the NJO lined up like that, and the YJK.

Gret job! =D=
  13. ShasaWaterwalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    wow.. a wonderful friend just showed me the tutorial. I've been trying to teach myself photoshop as well. Thanks for posting it.

And thanks to my friend. ;)
  14. Ice_Ghost11 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh! You're welcome Shasa! ;)

This tutorial was amazing! It took me an hour, but I got the wallpaper done using your instructions! It was so great!

Thank you muchly!

(anyone interested in what I did can check my Art thread)
  15. Chilla Force Ghost

star 4
    Nah, it's not a Star Wars wallpaper....merely something where I've tried your tutorial.
  16. Jaina Byrd Force Ghost

star 4
    I submitted a wallpaper to the wallpaper contest, and this is it:

The theme of the contest is simply "EU". Obviously, I could have gone a lot of ways with that. I just finished reading the New Essential Chronology. A good majority of the art in it is mediocre, and some think that it is downright bad. However, I decided that these images, being somewhat messy (and therefore interesting) would make a great wallpaper. A lot of the EU is focused on Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order, and one vehicle through which he does that is his own family; specifically, the Solo kids.

Nothing too out of the ordinary here for me, although I did enjoy myself trying out a couple extra techniques. You'll notice that over the Solo kids, I intentionally set a gradient so that each of their lightsaber colors would stand out and make each of the kids take on their individual lightsabers' glow.
  17. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh wow -- these are beautiful and very original wallpapers! Wonderfully done! :D =D=
  18. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    Very nice :D

I especially like "The Master" "The Heir" "The Sword" "The Traitor"

Nice touch :D
  19. Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Knight

star 2

Great Wallpaper! The colour is beautiful, but what I like the most is the added roughness effect to the white border seperating each picture, as well as on the bottom text - (which I think is just plain fabulous!). Another part I like about the text is that you overlayed it instead of making it really bold. I gotta agree with ThrawnRocks about the choice of 'titles' given to each character - It's a very nice touch.

-----
    Wow. You most certainly have a knack for this. :) Looking through all your wallpapers, I find these to be my faves:

A few of the Young Jedi Knight - I love how this is layed out, particularly how you lined up the letter 'e' to fit around Anakin's eyes, as well as catching that little creature's face.

Similar to the above wallpaper, this features Jaina Solo. - I just plain love the look! It worked just as well in the Jacen one too. ;)

The crowd pleaser; a clean set of NJO Jedi. - Once again, liking the layout. The addition of the excerpt was a really nifty idea.

P.S. It was really wonderful of you to take the time to write out a nice tutorial. I love reading on how others work.

- Suz ^_~
  20. skywalkerlover00 Jedi Master

star 4
    dang, Master, you're good. I can't do any of this. I'll try sometime though.
  21. Jaina Byrd Force Ghost

star 4
    Whoa, so, like, I've actually found time to do a little Photoshopping again. I just did all of this tonight. Consider both of these practice to get me back into the swing of things.

[image=http://web.nmsu.edu/~andreag/StarWars/WindAndFlame.jpg]
    The quote in this is actually a Psalm... Psalms 104:4. It's one Brittani will recognize. And I tend to think most sword-related quotes work with Jaina. And yeah, sure, Anakin and Jacen seem like messengers, both being fairly gifted in the ways of future sight.

WARNING: This following a spoilery wallpaper!
    [image=http://web.nmsu.edu/~andreag/StarWars/ClassReunion.jpg]
    This one was just fun to make, and not in any way to be considered art... but I've been around ohnotheydidnt (a livejournal community) way too much, so I've made this seem all sensationalist and tabloidy. It was fun! It's my desktop now.
  22. Star_Angel Jedi Master

star 4
    Wonderful pieces Jaina Byrd=D=.

I loved all of them.
  23. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    **falls on floor, laughing**

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

So loving the tabloid piece Jaina Byrd!! =D= That's just great! I love all those images--they all look like they were done by the same artist--in a guide, perhaps? Wonderful "tabloid-y" quotes, too--you'd make a great layout editor! ;) :p The one of Jaina is very nice--and I like your take on the "messenger" quality of her brothers...very insightful. Nice work on both of these! =D=

FF
  24. Goddess_Solo Jedi Padawan

Jaina, your work is fantastic! Really loved the tabloid piece. Love to see more of your work, keep it up!
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.