main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Jaina Solo Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Kit_Kat, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Hehehe Jedi are fun! I got sick of having to wear a huge white dress and those irritating hair buns and decided, why should the jedi have all the fun! Hence, Leia's jedi outfit was born :p

Ooh it's good you own it, saves you buying a pattern :D When I looked at all the wrap patterns, this seemed to be the nicest. Mock-ups are definately your friend!! I have a whole huge bag full of old sheets for my mock-ups :p I know what you mean about bothering people, I'm always doing that :p

The best I can come up with for the tabbards is this: On the pattern, see the band around the neckline, make it twice. When sewing the band to the neckiline, sew them both together, one so it sits like in the pattern, and the other, fold back and stitch down, and you should end up with something like in the picture. For the bottom bit, if you look closely, it doesn't match up with the top bits, so perhaps you could attach that part to the obi?

Yeah, I don't think the obi should be like a corset, that's not very jedi-like,a nd it would be very uncomfortable. I'd say go with the interfacing, or even jsut with two layers of a strong material like drill? See what you can find, but don't make it too stiff. See the sides, it does have wrinkles, so it defiantely needs to move with her body ^_^And you should easily be able to do the crossover bit at the front with some trim, maybe bias tape or ribbon, and then the same for the edge of the obi.

For the handguards, you don't want them to interfere with your movement. I'm wondering if perhaps a thin leather would work for them, and perhaps have it extend the length of your forearm. Have it attached just before the elbow (not too close, coz you don't want it to bit the skin - ask troopers :p) and then at the wrist, but make sure you have full mobility in your wrist. Also if you can, ask to see a stormie hand guard, they look similar!

Good luck with it, and keep asking questions :p I don't think anyone here will bite you rhead off for asking to many questions!! Can't wait to see it!

2. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    What you're suggesting there is really a type of very basic 'corset'. A corset has three layers, lining(for absorption of sweat), a stability layer (ie heavy interfacing, drill, duck or heavy canvas) then the fashion fabric. The only thing missing in your discription is the boning that does all the work of squishing and supporting 'everything'. ;)

And btw, corsets aren't uncomfortable if they are made right and worn properly. :)

3. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Well I suppose it is ^_^ Never thought of it that way. The only thing is that the Obi's purpose is not really the same as a corset, it's not made to support everything (well at least in my mind it's not, I could be wrong). In this particular costume, I don't think a corset would be appropriate, as you can see the obi has wrinkles in the side, so it's meant to be moving with her.

Heheh Yup, I know! I've made and worn a couple of corsets in my time. However, I think it's safe to say that a corset is not the best thing to be wearing when one is running around fighting the bad guys :p Plus if you've never worn a corset before, it's prolly not the best thing to be putting on a jedi costume ^_^

But then that's just my thoughts :D

4. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Well.. i sucked it up and asked my fav Jaina what she used, and her techniques...

Her, as well as another Jaina who did the same costume, Had their "tabbards" wrap around the neck, like a scarf, instead of having them down the back too. One sewed theirs on, the other jsut secures it with the Obi.

One of them used heat n bond for their obi to make it stiff, yet forming.. The other used "plastic" stuff, and it did not form to her body

One used linen.. one used wool suiting

Lots of options there :)

I think, what im going to do, is browse while i work on wednesday(i work at Joann's.... yippieee!). We have a 50% off coupon out right now and i might as well use it(and since Jaina is my next project...). Hopefully i will find something. Im using the Jedi pattern from simplicity as a guidline for the tunic, and the "tabbards".. Just a guideline ;). This means i HAVE to do a mockup before Wednesday or Thursday.. To check how much fabric i'll need. Lord knows i dont need to buy it, then not have enough!

And i think.. well.. i dont know if im getting boots for my Corellian Jedi or not now. Because there are two versions(this is a whole different topic). But i might be wearing black boots with my Jaina.

Im veryyyy excited about this costume. Im very very very glad my friend talked me into it :)

5. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    I'm going the flight-suit route for mine, although I'm thinking it would need more than just that to be obvious who she is. Boots - I have some that will work in a pinch, although I could get better ones. What else should go on a greyish olive-color flight suit, beyond having a purple lightsaber? Patches would be easy enough, but I'm trying to go for Dark Nest era (slightly before the whole Joiner bit), or maybe very late NJO, so even that seems inadequate. Would it be really out of place to make a patch with her name on it in Basic letters ("Solo, Jaina" in the Basic font, perhaps with the relevant bars elsewhere to match rank)?

6. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    After going through the icon pages, I found this one and fell in love with her jump suit. I'm hoping to have it for Halloween, and usually I don't use patterns, but I've never made a jumpsuit before, so does anyone know which patterns would work for this icon? :p

Thanks! :)

~Spacelady

7. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    AlisonC- I would go with a slightly different idea on the patch. Maybe have her name in Basic, "Jaina Solo" and then in aurobesh underneath. MiraxTHorn did that with her Mirax costume, and it looks very nice.. And it lets people know who you are without them having to ask

Spacelady- Uh oh. You've joined the Jaina madness now ;). Pattern wise i say Kwiksew.. their pattern for a unitard.. works great for form fitting suits(Benae Quee used it for her Femme Tie, i used it for my Blue Mirax)

8. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Spacelady- Uh oh. You've joined the Jaina madness now . Pattern wise i say Kwiksew.. their pattern for a unitard.. works great for form fitting suits(Benae Quee used it for her Femme Tie, i used it for my Blue Mirax)

I couldn't help it! I was just calling to me. :p And, actually...within those three hours of my question, I decided to just try my luck at it without a pattern and it's almost done already. [face_blush] Though this is just a mock up, unless I decide later that I wanted a fitted flight suit, I have one. ;) :p I just have to put a zipper in the front and sew on the sleeves and collar. So yoo hoo! I've still got my patternless-need touch! :D :p

I just need to find some boots...and that are cheap too... o_O

Ashley, you planning on wearing your Jaina costume to CIV?

~Spacelady

9. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    oooo nice job! You're a fast worker, like myself hehe

Yes i am TOTALLY planning on wearing mine at C4. It's my main costume next to Mirax, of course.

Once i finish my few commissioned costumes for people, i get to start on this. Im getting super anxious! Especially since i cant find a fabric color i like... I might settle for khaki colors... either way i think it will look decent..

10. larame_kaine

larame_kaine Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2005
    My problem is also finding the correct colors. The pants would be easy enough for the Jaina in the Essential Guide. But the colors are different shades of Taupe. I've found the boots and the pants and belt should be easy enough, it's just the tabbard/obi fabric I'm having difficulty with. I dont really want to look online as the colors are always slightly different than when you get them in person. At least I have til CIV to get it done.

I'm going to start the Force Heretic costume this week, I found some cotton/spandex that works well. I'm not going to do it in green however. I want to stick to the 'Jedi' colors so I'm going to do it in brown, less recognized but more accurate. (It's only green because they change the colors of costume on coverart to match the backgrounds). And that costume is also done in brown on another cover anyway, so really it is the coverart just not as widely recognized as the green.

Heres the costume in green http://www.theforce.net/image_popup/image_popup_books.asp?books=books/bookcovers/jpn/images/reunion.jpg

And here is the same one in brown, which is the one I'm doing.
    http://www.theforce.net/image_popup/image_popup_books.asp?books=books/bookcovers/jpn/images/refugee.jpg

11. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    how did you find the boots?!?!

Im on a budget with this one and am on a mad hunt for boots.

Oh.. just thought i'd mention this. I had talked to the famous Princess Solo, and she mentioned maybe us getting a picture together in our costumes.. Well why not get ALL of us Jainas in a picture at C4?! I think that could be potentially fabulous

12. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    That would be awesome. ^_^

The boots, if you're on a budget then these are not the ones for you. The cheapest are about 250.00 and the more expensive ones are about 400.00. >_<

These are my first choice, I'll have to take the buckles off of course.
    http://www.fryeboots.com/subpages/catalog-detail.asp?sn=77605&col=DBN&fcp=catalog.asp?cat=ALL@sty=@gen=1@goToPage=2

These also might work
    http://www.fryeboots.com/subpages/catalog-detail.asp?sn=77070&col=SDL&fcp=catalog.asp?cat=ALL@sty=@gen=1@goToPage=2

These are probably the closest to the right color you will find without having them custom made.

And if you find any good taupe fabrics or close to the right colors at local stores (va beach, norfolk, ches.) let me know.

13. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Wow, why are regular boots like that so expensive? :eek: I don't get it. I can understand for custom made boots, but these are ridiculously priced! [face_hypnotized]

14. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Yeah, if you're going to spend that much money, I'd say you're better off seeing if you can get them custom-made, and therefore exactly right. Caboots, or Motor Cowboy, or something?

15. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    would you fellow Jainas sue me if i wore black boots?

16. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Boots are boots, Ashley. :p

I picked up my fabric to start my flight suit and I couldn't find anything to look at least somewhat like the picture. Between shockingly bright pinks and reds, to christmas prints, between pure white, I had browns and blues to go off of. My choice? Dark blue.

I was very irritated at my selection. [face_plain]

Oh well, I'm sure there's another blue Jaina around here somewhere. :p

~Spacelady

17. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    I was going to go with custom boots, but I'd probably be paying more. They go for around 400 here and the only guy whos cheaper doesnt built boots from the ground up, but adds to a pair you already have. With the Frye boots they're pretty darn close and I probably couldn't doo too much better. The only way to tell that they are the EXACT shade is to hold the New Essential Guide up to my leg. =P

18. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    spacelady: Blue Jaina is just dandy! She wears flightsuits ALOT so i'm sure she has an assortment of colors... She is a flygirl after all ;).
    And i'm glad you use my "boots are boots" theory too.. Because with all of the costumes i'm doing this year, and the price of my lightsaber, i just cant afford custom boots! I'm going to keep hunting ebay to see if i can find anything that doesnt have a 3 inch heel. If no luck, i'll be wearing my trusty Mirax boots(which are sooooo comfy)

larame_kaine: HAHA! Ok i dont feel so bad now for walking around fabric stores with my book trying to match colors ;). I think i'm going to go with raw silk and try my hand and dying it. ooohh this should be fun.

I just think a twill would be a bit too heavy to lay how hers does. It'll work great for the pants but i just dont think it will cooperate on the tophalf. Any thoughts on this? Because it is a decent fabric.. i've worked with it before on a few projects. The only downfall is that the colors are khaki-ish... rather than the earthy tanish grey hers is. am i being too picky here?

19. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    Yeah, I get many strange looks for doing the book thing. ^_^

I sat down with a seamstress who has been sewing for 20+ years and talked to her about this costume. She will be helping me make it as my sewing skills are extremely low. Basically I will be doing the grunt work, buying fabric, cutting out patterns, etc, she will do the actual sewing (Which she says is the easy part. =P )

She thought a silk would work very well and be much more feminine, which seems to be what they were going for with this costume.

There seems to be four shades in the top. The tunic, the tabbard, the obi, and the trim on the obi and neck thing (I dunno what the hell you call it) are the same shade. If I cant find these shades by december in stores, I will be going online and ordering lots of swatches. ^_^

The pants, I'm probably going to buy a pair of lightweight khacki pants for those, since the color is easy to find.

If you're thinking about dying stuff, you may want to talk to the Shaak Ti in the TA group, shes the one helping me with my costume and I know she has dyed some of her stuff before, may have some tips for you.

20. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    I've been calling the top thingy a cowl.. cuz it LOOKS like a cowl but i could be wrong...

I do think raw silk will be a good option for this. Im going to get some from dharma as soon as i have enough money(and when i get my new charge card. they had to void it for a weird charge.. eesh).

I think the best thing with dying is just testing... i've been checking out the dye thread, reading up on what everyone does and uses... Im hoping i dont do TOO bad on this one... dont want to ruin it ya know?

It'd be MUCH easier if i could find raw silk in the colors i need. gah!

21. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
  22. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    Holy crap i <3 you

23. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    I'm still having issues finding fabric. I had 7 swatches (well, 1/8th or a yard each) sent to me in the mail. Most are too thin, not the right color. Only one do I actually like, the other one looks good in person but gray when you photograph. I know the typical 'Jedi' Jaina has a taupe theme goin on, but the costuming standards of the group I'm in require browns, tans, taupes that look more brown, khacki etc, nothing that looks gray. If anyone knows a good place to get fabrics on the net let me know, as I am having no luck in local store. Also, if you havent seen this pic, this is my favorite Jaina so far. http://www.acparadise.com/display.php?a=20696&c=7353

Her colors look great. The only thing I would change about hers is making the obi a bit smaller and use acutal leather for the belt. I also want to make sure you can see on my costume that the tabbard and tunic are different shades.

A seamstress that is going to help me make it suggested making the obi functional and actually making it wrap, but because I want to be able to wear the costume for a long time without remaking the pieces, I'm going to have her back the obi, put trim on it, and have it fasten in the back so that if I gain or loose any weight it will still fit. Because of the trim it would have to fit exactly as a wrap, and it always has to be tight, even if you loose a few inches, because if its not your belt will weigh it down and it wont stay where you want it.

Just thought I'd write my thoughts down before my head explodes. Hope things are going well for everyone.

-Larame Kaine

24. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    well i found our linen look fabric section at my work, and i must say i was stoked. Although they arent the color i need(not by a long shot) i can atleast get my discount, and do some dying. I'll try scraps before diving into the actual thing. Although i'm still debating on the Khaki

See, larame, I like her costume too! But there is also another Jaina(she's in the Rebel Legion) who used more Khaki colors. I like how hers turned out. The brown she used was a dark brown, but has a nice contrast to the lighter colors. Either way, i have to dye the fabrics i think... unless i can find what i want on that site link above(and can afford it!)

25. JeedaiElf

JeedaiElf Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I'm in the process of making the green Jaina costume from the cover of Reunion. I found my boots at Goodwill for $3. The fabrice I found is this really pretty strech suede in the perfect color. The pattern I'm using is Kwik-Sew 3115. It will need a bit of modification, but mainly just widening the waistband a bit, and changing the collar. I'm actually doing a false collar over the top instead of a wrap. I'm also adding an invisible zipper to the back of the pants and shirt for ease of dressing. The only bit I'm having trouble with is how to do the belt buckle [face_thinking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.