main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Jaina Solo Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Kit_Kat, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larame_kaine

larame_kaine Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2005
    I stumbled across these. If you're on a budget they're a little more affordable and pretty close to the right color for the NEGTC Jaina, the only bad thing is they have a 2in heel.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=250439

http://www.shoebuy.com/sb/s.jsp?&Dept=AdultF&Req=ss&_P0=242&Page=2&Style=167912&Substyle=383915

2. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    I'm having an issue.

A while back I had the Jaina lightsaber custom made by a guy at RLSA. It looks great and identical to the ref pics I sent him. I know Jaina has a 'purple' saber which was later described as violet or 'blueish/purple'. I have seen what the purple sabers look like and dont really see that as being the color of Jainas saber, it seems to be more violet or blue to me. I had him make a blue LED with a blue LED blade. I've seen the rlsa purple blades with white led's and the purple park's el blades. They just seem to dull (not boring, dull as in not a bright) and too purple. I want to portray Jaina at her Knight stage and by that time her blade is described as 'purple/blue'. I may end up getting a purple acrylic blade from rlsa and trying it with my blue led or trying to dye a polycarbonite blade to a lighter purple so I can use it with my blue led but it will have a purple tint. Any suggestions? I really like my blue blade it looks great, but I want a slightly purplish tink to it.

-Larame Kaine

3. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    You can't really completely light up an acrylic rod with an LED.

How do you propose to color a polycarbonate blade? I've heard of some people coloring certain clear plastics with RIT dye, but I don't know if that would work with polycarbonate.

4. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    Hence my problem, I have no idea how to color polycarbonate. >_<

I think I'm going to try two things, first I'm going to get one of those little color changing disc's and try to use a purple or pink one in my blue led with a clear blade.

And two, I'm going to try and find something to diffuse a clear blade with that might also change the color.

If I was going for just purple, or just blue, it wouldn't be a problem. I just want to have the blue with the purple tint.

Why must I insist on doing things the hard way. =X

-Larame Kaine

5. PrincessSolo

PrincessSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2003
    That's my friend who Larame_Kaine linked to. She's got an amazing Jaina costume ^^ It was myself and her that BurntTheMacaroni quoted concerning the differences we did for the Essential outfit. This is mine:

http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=53398&member=10563

And I've also done the Tan and Black Jumpsuit outfits as well:

http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=16861&member=10563

http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=34336&member=10563

I'll be making the black jumpsuit sometimes in '07 because what I have now is a purchased jumpsuit. I'll be making the X-Wing pilot outfit for Jaina also in '07.

I had my saber custom made by RandomSabers based on the American and NJO images.

If anyone has any questions concerning any of the oufits I'd be happy to answer them ^^

And Larame_Kaine...good luck with the purple/blue blade tinting! I love Jaina with a purple blade even though more and more she's seems to be drawn with pretty much a blue one...it would rock if you or someone else figured out how to combine those two colors!

~Princess Solo

6. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    If you want to play around with different filters, go to Lee Filters and send them an email asking for a free swatch book. You will get over 200 sample pieces of filter gels of all colors in the book. You can cut out circles from them and make your own LED lightsaber blade filters.

I just got mine in the mail today. (I'll be wiring up my white LED tonight so I can play with them) [face_dancing]

I do see that the blue LED I have in my saber right now pretty much overpowers the pinks and purples that I've tried so far, maybe if you use mulitple filters you can get the color you want. With the free swatch book, it will be fun to experiment.
    ;)

7. PrincessSolo

Jul 21, 2003
    Does anyone recall if the color/pattern scheme of Jaina's X-Wing pilot helmet is described at all in any of the books? I haven't found it anywhere yet, and I jut how images to go off of for now...specifically the Japanese coverart where her helmet looks just like Luke's sans the rebel symbols on the front of it. I'm fine going with that pattern on the helmet if there's been no mention of it in the book, but I wanted to double check first. Thanks!

~Princess Solo

8. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    I do not think they have ever described her helmet, though I am going off of my encyclopedic acknowledge and such. The Japanese cover would prob be the best bet or just go with Luke's. Maybe use the New Republic symbols in Place of the Standard rebel ones, since she never lived in the rebellion period just and Idea. Luke's helmet I have always considered the standard helmet besides the generic white of the Y-wing pilots in ANH. But I will keep looking and get back to you.

9. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    I think someone in the UK Base of the Rebel Legion has found something to do with her X-Wing helmet, she mentioned that it contained Purple (and was happy about that) I'll see what I can find out for you.

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    That would be cool reaper. I was always wondering about it, because it's never mentioned anywhere I can find. Be nice to have something beyond a generic X-Wing helm to go with my Jaina costume.

11. PrincessSolo

Jul 21, 2003
    That would definitely be super helpful! I'd love it if it had purple in it too XD Otherwise I'm going off this image:

http://www.geocities.com/scruffyrebel/jbig9.jpg

But I would favor a book description of some sort over the Japanese coverart because they aren't entirely accurate with things.

~Princess Solo

12. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    hello from the UK RL member!
    yep i found this picture of Jaina that shows the purple stripe running around the helm and also around the ear section.
    [image=[​IMG]]

im taking this image as the inspiration rather than the other Luke helm image as id think Jaina with her strong independent streak would have her own helmet as basically ALL the other pilots do!

13. PrincessSolo

Jul 21, 2003
    Ah, that one? Yeah I was kinda ignoring that one because I always took it for a trainee style helmet ^^' It reminds me of the ones the extra pilots wore in the OT and it always looked like they hadn't figured out what personal design they would put on their helmet yet so they still had the plainish white ones. But that's just me! It's got the purple, which is great, I just can't shake the trainee feeling when I look at it.

But it's a pain to go off images since everything varies depending on the artist. Surprised her helmet design hasn't been mentioned in any of the books.

~Princess Solo

14. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    to a costumer, that's an important detail, but concider it just from a fan's persective. It would be alot of writing just for a detail like a helmet.

As fustrating as it is, I doubt anyone would ever go to the trouble of describing a helmet paint job. Imagine the description of Lukes, or Bigg's helmet. :)

15. PrincessSolo

Jul 21, 2003
    Yeah, but in the X-Wing book series they did mention the designs of Wedge's helmet and I thought one or two of the others in passing.

I was talking with a couple other SW costumers this weekend, and when I explained my dilemma of helmet designs for Jaina, and how I didn't like the plainer helmet but liked the purple it had...they suggested maybe just changing the color of the Luke'ish one to purple. So I had my bf modify the colors of a Richie's helmet to give me an idea of how the helmet would look if I did it exactly like the ref image:[image=http://www.geocities.com/scruffyrebel/jbig9.jpg]

and also if I had it with purple instead of red. What do you guys think? Which one would you go with?

[image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/scruffyrebel/helmetred.jpg]

[image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/scruffyrebel/helmetpurple.jpg]

~Princess Solo

16. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    Oh im liking that...fits in well wih the other image too

17. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    I think it looks great!! I like the idea of using purple instead of the usual red, because I dont believe they ever described her helmet, just her x-wing.
    You are like the ultimate Jaina costumer.... ::bows down to the Goddess::

On another note... I finally found a fabric i'm happy with. It's a tan linen, not the perfect color but it'll work just fine. I've also switched gears on which pattern to use. I was using the simplicity Jedi pattern(iiiiii dont remember the number at the moment), but instead i'm using Butterick 4072. I found it over on the padawan's guide site, listed as a suggestion for female undertunics. Works perfect for me!

Hopefully i will have some progress pics very soon. I'm hoping to have this done before Megacon

18. RebelAllianceBarbie

RebelAllianceBarbie Jedi Knight

Jan 6, 2007
    Couple of questions--
    I'm doing the Jaina jedi costume, and I've definitely found some helpful information here.

First off, does anyone have any suggestions for boots? I have yet to find a pair in the right color with the correct seams.

Secondly, does anyone have their belt to post pictures of? My friend is a leatherworker and is helping me out with the belt, and while I have a hi-res picture of the guide to characters picture, it would be really great to see what other people did about the belt.

(I'm dreading getting that lightsaber though...I'm having an anakin FX saber being converted now and maybe I'll have a different color put in or something...I'm not looking foreward to shelling out $200 for a saber >.<)

Hoping to get this done by NY comic con. Wish me luck! :)

19. PrincessSolo

Jul 21, 2003
    Here's my belt before I repainted it with more accurate coloring:

http://geocities.com/scruffyrebel/jedibelt.html

I love it so much ^^

This is when my colors weren't right, but it shows the belt off well enough:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=788026

Hope that helps!

I got my boots off of eBay from a seller in Mexico. Sometimes the perfect boots come along on eBay, but I was never finding them...so I just got them custom done from that seller. They have a zipper in the back, which can be a bit of a pain, but it doesn't show on pics which I love so it matches the ref pic nicely:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=926808

~Princess Solo

20. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    I got my violet blue saber! White led...two blue color change discs, and one purple. =D

This also allows me to change it to just blue, or just purple.

My boots were very expensive but were the right look and color, which is annoyingly hard to fine for the NEGTC Jaina costume. They are Victoria Frye.

I've found all the fabrics. I've gotten pretty close to the right color, but used more brown tones because I dont want it to look to gray in pictures. Stupid taupe. The sewing will begin next month. In a few weeeks we also make our trip to Richmond to Tandy for the leather. I also have a friend who is good at leatherworking, so he will be helping witht he belt. I'm going to end up having two. One for the NEGTC, and one for the sleeveless. The buckles are different the the belt is darker on the sleeveless. -grumbles-

Hope everyone's coming along good.

-Larame Kaine

21. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Richmond VA??

22. PrincessSolo

Jul 21, 2003
    I love Tandy Leather ^^

And yeah I ended up having two different belt myself...but for the black jumpsuit and the jedi garb...I use the same one for the jedi look and the sleeveless look.

That is so awesome with the blade!!!!! So just how did you do it? I have a custom built EL hilt so I'm not sure if I can switch blade around, but I'm super keen to know if you just figured it out yourself or had someone do it for you. Way to go!

Can't wait to see the finished product ^^ I'm always remaking my jedi garb for Jaina to get the colors right.

~Princess Solo

23. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    Yes Richmond, VA. Thats where you are, isn't it Ashley?

And I'll be doing the same thing you will be doing with the belt. I'm also going to work on the black jumpsuit and will be using my dark brown boots from the sleeveless one, as well as the dark brown belt I've yet to make for the sleeveless one. =P

I dont have an EL, I have an led. Led's work like a lightsaber flashlight and you just stick in the blade, clear or colored and tighten the thumb screw. With the EL you have to screw in the blade. LED's can come in colored lights so if you get a blue LED you cant really change the color from blue. But I got a white/clear LED, so I can drop these little plastic disc's into the hole where the blade goes, or glue the disc's to the bottom of the blade and stick it in. With a light blue, dark blue, and purple disc, I get this very iced violent (purple/blue) look. It's not very dark and has a white undertone, but looks very cool. I didn't like the white leds with he purple acrylic blades because they were too dull in the dark. I like they way this looks.

The sleeveless costume I'm almost done with is from the Japanese cover of Refugee, I've done it in brown and it looks great with the boots. The NEGTC is the color problem. Taupe is annoying and I dont want it to look gray. I'm think of making two, one with colors that are close to the picture and one that are in better shades of brown.

-Larame_Kaine

24. PrincessSolo

Jul 21, 2003
    You don't have to screw in the blade with all EL. I have an EL blade for my custom Jaina saber and I just pop it in, like I plug. Don't have to screw or tighten anything at all.

I definitely understand the problems with the Essential's costume. In the actual book the coloring is FAR too warm in tones...she's colored far more tanned than she should be, especially if you compare the tones in that picture to the other ones in the book...they overdid the warmth in the colors. But half the time when you print pics out from the net, the coloring is a lot more grey. I definitely prefer a mix of browns as opposed to a mix of brown/greys. The tabbards and detail on the belt is the only thing on my outfit close to grey, everything else I tried to do in varied brown colors.

I wanna see a pic of your hilt! You're the only other person I know to have gotten a custom Jaina hilt done.

~Princess Solo

25. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    I'll post some pics tomorrow. I cant upload them at home, the software is on my laptop, which is still at work. =/

-Larame

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.