main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Jaina Solo Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Kit_Kat, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelAllianceBarbie

RebelAllianceBarbie Jedi Knight

Jan 6, 2007
    PrincessSolo, that is some AMAZING work there!

I was planning on getting the Jaina saber from randomsabers...is that the same one you guys are talking about? That's the only EL Jaina saber I've seen out there...

2. PrincessSolo

PrincessSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2003
    Yeah the one one Random Sabers is the one they custom did for me about two/three years ago...they're not technically supposed to duplicate them because they are all supposed to be one of a kind. That's why I love mine so much since my Jaina saber is/was the one and only Jaina saber out there. But alot of times they will just alter some slight thing on them and keep the overall look. I'm very proud of that saber and though I'd love others to have it, I'd be kinda jealous too XD

~Princess Solo

3. larame_kaine

larame_kaine Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2005
    Mine is also a one of a kind, but from RLSA. It looks similar to Princess Solo's but mine is also unique. I did the same thing, sent all the reference pics I could find and sent them to the saber maker. Since her saber changes a little from picture to picture, if two different people make them they will come out different. I love my saber and I know how you feel, its one of a kind. He actually had to make two for me because the first one was stolen from inside my office at work. =*(

He replicated the second one perfectly but that was because I had taken pictures of the first one and he used those to make the second. I will get pictures up as soon as I can. My camera software is not working and I have to install some drivers to make it work on my home computer.

-Larame

4. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Yep! I want to think we've been over this before... Either way it's pretty awesome! Two Jaina costumes in one area

5. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    I'll let you know when we're comin. Maybe we can go to lunch and talk about costumes. The person who is doing all of my sewing (Because I suck and have no sewing machine) will be with me. They are both Tidewater Alliance Members.

Also, this is the only pic I have of my saber at the moment.
    It wont let me link or post the pic so just go to photobucket.com and in the Search Images thing put in Liivingdeadgirl and it should be on the first page of pics.

It's very slim and fits my bitty hands really good. I'll try and post some more pics when my camera software decides to work again. >_<

-Larame

6. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    Oh that would be awesome. We can compair notes! Or.. Something. I'll have to keep in contact with you, there are loads of events down in that area that i usually go to

7. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    You may already know about it, but we're throwing our own mini-sificon March 3rd in VA Beach. Keep your Calendar clear for that day!! I plan on wearing my sleeveless Jaina costume to this event. The NEGTC wont be ready until CIV.

-Larame

8. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    ah yes i have been told about that. I'd love to attend! I'll see how my finances look at that point... Especially since im doing two major things in feb. But that would be so coool

9. PrincessSolo

PrincessSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2003
    ooo love yours!!!!! *hugs* It's fun knowing someone else who has a custom Jaina saber too. Especially since they're both "accurate" yet still distrinctly different. If I ever changed anything on mine, it would to modify the emitter end of it to be more the way yours is, cuz mine is bit off compared to ref pics.

Wondering if RS might be able to screw around with mine to change it from EL to LED...being able to have a slightly two-colored blade would be AMAZING...and there's just no way to get that with an EL. I love the purple blade, but it IS the lightest color blade overall...at the same time my bf just CGs all my pics anyway so I could just make him start to make them more blue-purple instead of all purple XD

~Princess Solo

10. -Tenel-Ka-

-Tenel-Ka- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Eeeeee! I've been watching this thread because I'm in love with EU costumes -- especially ones from the NJO/DN/LotF era. And I'm from Northern VA, so to see two Jaina costumes from VA, that makes me squee like a little fangirl. :D I knew there had to be some Jainas (heck, even some EU fans!) around here!

11. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    I think we had mentioned it before but if you guys are going to CIV we should get together and take a picture with all the Jaina's. Thanks for the saber compliments. The only problem with this emitter PrincessSolo, is that when you are actually fighting with it, the light occasionally goes off when you do a shun or something, because the little button is too easy to turn on and off. I need to put a rubber washer around it or something to keep it from turning off. >_<

Hopefully I'll have some progress pics up soon. Hope everyones costumes are coming along great!

-Larame

12. RebelAllianceBarbie

Jan 6, 2007
    That would be a great idea! My Jaina should be fininshed by NY comic con, so I'll bring back pictures. :)

My rebel legion CO said he'd make me a saber, does anyone have a good ref of the original images from books, comics, etc.?

EDIT: Also, me and a few other people are setting up a new forum site, similar to thedentedhelmet and sonsofthesuns, but it's for Padme, Leia, and also a little bit of Jaina. So there would be a forum section dedicated to the different Jaina costumes, if anyone was interested. :)

13. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    The best idea for ref pics, is to google Jaina Solo, and make the pics as big as possible. Her saber varies from picture to picture, but it is very similar in each. Here are just a few.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/17/Jaina.jpg/260px-Jaina.jpg
    http://starwars.wikia.com/images/1/14/Jainablue.jpg
    http://starwarsjedidivas.bravehost.com/myPictures/JAINAANAKIN.gif
    http://starwarsjedidivas.bravehost.com/myPictures/JAINAANAKIN.gif
    http://jaina.venusgospel.net/gallery/jaina_05.jpg
    http://jaina.venusgospel.net/gallery/jaina_08.jpg
    http://jaina.venusgospel.net/gallery/jaina_16.jpg
    http://jaina.venusgospel.net/gallery/jaina_15.jpg

-Larame

14. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    my little update on my Jaina costume-

Tunic is complete!!! Well.. Ok i need to hem it(i hate hemming) but it's made! Right now i'm working on the tabbards, and at work i'm picking up fabric to make an undershirt(so i can do the hand armor) and the cowl. I'm so happy that i'm almost done! I'm wearing it to a major event in my Rebel Legion base, we're acting on stage while a symphony performs... So my debut will be a good one

15. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    I unfortunately, will have to work that saturday, so I wont make the trip, though a few TA members are going to come. Make sure you take pictures!! I want to see it!

My update - Have fabrics for NEGTC costume, just need to do the construction. Will be making a trip to tandy in feb for all the leather for the belts and arm guards. My sleeveless NJO costume is almost done. We will be redoing the sleeveless tunic cause it just wont fit right, every time you move it gets out of place. We have a better pattern to work with this time though.

-Larame

16. RebelAllianceBarbie

Jan 6, 2007
    What are the patterns everyone is using for the tunic? I saw something earlier in this thread, but was wondering if there were others.

17. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    Jaina costume done! Well.. except for the belt... I didnt get a chance to make the belt. But i will have pictures by sunday night, or early monday morning! I'm so excited. I put it on, and looked in the mirror.. and all i could think was "I am Jaina Solo".

Yippie!

RebelAllianceBarbie- The pattern I used ws Butterick 4072. It's discontinued, but you can find it on Ebay for around $3. It's pretty good accuracy wise, I had to lengthen it slightly(then it was too long lol), and the sleeve seam is wrong, but that can be fixed just by doing a mockup. Are you looking to be a fellow Jaina?

18. RebelAllianceBarbie

Jan 6, 2007
    BurntTheMacaroni -- Sure am! I've wanted to do Jaina for a long time since I look a lot like the NEGTC picture. And thank you for the pattern info!

BTW, my friend, a leatherworker, who was doing my belt for Jaina, just sent me photos. I think I owe him MY ENTIRE LIFE, and not the mere $80 I payed for it.

[image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/Synnister/JBeltJ-1.jpg]
    [image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/Synnister/JBeltJ.jpg]

ALSO--does anyone also know a good pattern for the shawl? Stupid question I'm sure lol. I'm not the seamstress, a friend of mine is. So I have no clue, I'm just assuming it needs a pattern.

19. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    RebelAllianceBarbie- I somehow missed that you had posted here before. Sorry bout that!
    The shawl doesnt need a pattern. I made mine by sewing a long rectangle of fabric(4 inches by ALOT of inches) and turning it to the right side and pressing. No pattern needed :)

GREAT looking belt!!! I unfortunatly didnt have the chance to ask my leather working friend to make me one, and ran out of time for the event i'm wearing it to(leaving for it today at 5:30 AM. eesh!). So i made one out of vinyl, one that will work well enough for the event

20. RebelAllianceBarbie

Jan 6, 2007
    Sweet, I'll tell my friend Jay that (he's the one doing the sewing...lol I haven't sewn since I was 9, and I made a pillow by hand, no machine. My nana helped me. Yeah, that's the extent of my sewing abilities [face_laugh] ).

I'd say going leather when you get the chance is TOTALLY worth it. It really makes all the difference.

21. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I made a very quick and rough version of the Reunion costume just before C3, and have been thinking of re-making a new (hopefully better!) version for C4. I've been pondering the choice of fabric, though. I had originally thought that the tunic was made from a stretch or semi-stretch material based on the way it looked form-fitting without darts and the way it flowed and gave the appearance of stretching in places. However, now I'm not so sure.

What do you guys think? Stretch or non-stretch?

22. RebelAllianceBarbie

Jan 6, 2007
    Probably something with like 2% spanex or something in it--just enough so that it stretches a little, but it's not "stretchy."

Okay NEGTC Jaina Jedi people...I just made the find of the century. I don't mean to brag but I'm wicked psyched.

Her boots:
    [image=http://i1.tinypic.com/2j5x3lc.jpg]

My boots:
    [image=http://i17.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/82/66/c11e_1_b.JPG]

I want to get rid of the zipper though...

23. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    RebelAllianceBarbie - wow! Those boots are a fantastic find! They're almost identical NEGTC boots!

Reunion costume material: I think think you're right about it having just a little bit of stretch. The material I originally found and used for the first version of my costume had a bit too much stretch to it. Luckily I found what I think will be a very good alternative at Hancocks yesterday. It's about the right color and has just a bit of one-way stretch to it. Now I just have to re-design the tunic. For the first version, I started with a cross-wrap tunic and altered it from there, but ran into problems and was never happy with the fit. I think this time I'll start by trying JeedaiElf's idea of starting with a v-neck top and try modifying from there. Maybe I can somehow add on the wrap.

24. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    STRETCH!

I've almost finished this one and I made it in a stretch suede type material and it is not stretchy enough. Its fine for walking around in but gets all out of wack when you turn or bend or anything. I am going to be making it again with a poly-spandex material. I made a cloak out of this material and it is actually bouncy and heavy so I'm going to dismantle it and use it to redo the Reunion costume. Keep in mind that I also made it like a typical jedi costume where it is like a vest/no-sleeves tunic and closes with velcro down the front.

Larame Kaine

25. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    Alright folks! here it is! Not the best pic, but you can figure out which one i am :)

[image=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/142/376086150_d0603f9696_o.jpg]

Being a Jedi is so much fun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.