main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Jaina Solo Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Kit_Kat, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Looks really good, Ashley! ;) You did an awesome job on it! :D And may I add a point here...you actually look like a Sith with the red reflection from the flash. Nice touch there. :cool: ;) :p

Keep up the good work, my friend. :)

~Spacelady

2. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    LOL! Thanks Spacelady. Oddly enough... this started to show up on Freedom Base's forums

[image=http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Dadof3/27thashleyred.jpg]

Maybe they are trying to tell me something??

3. larame_kaine

larame_kaine Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2005
    We'll just say you portray Jaina durning her little journey to the Dark Side. =P

Great job! I really wish I didn't have to work that weekend and could have gone. =/

-Larame_Kaine

4. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    *laugh* It does seem possible. That's a great costume, btw - it looks fabulous!

5. PrincessSolo

PrincessSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2003
    Way cool hon!!! Looks great ^^ What did you do for the saber? It looks awesome.

~Princess Solo

6. RebelAllianceBarbie

RebelAllianceBarbie Jedi Knight

Jan 6, 2007
    Oooooh! That's awesome!

7. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    Thanks everyone!!! It's such a super fun costume to wear :)

PrincessSolo- My saber actually belongs to my friend Rick... for the show, we used FX sabers, but while in the crowd before, we had to use hilts(for the surprise element), so he was kind enough to allow me to borrow his. P.s. Check your PMs

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Looks great!

Forgive me if this as been asked before, but what color lightsaber does Jaina normally carry? I haven't seen many references to the color in the novels lately.

9. PrincessSolo

Jul 21, 2003
    In the beginning, like the Young Jedi Knight books and stuff, they list her blade color as being violet. On the covers of NJO books they color it purple most of the time last I checked...twice I've seen it colored more blue than purple.
    ~Princess Solo

10. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    yeah the latest book ive just read "Dark Journey" describes her blade as blue violet..so that'l be Indigo really!

very very nice colour have to say and ive seen a few luxeon blades with that colour...try Ultrasabers i know they do a deep deep blue

11. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Wilco! Thanks!

12. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    The only time I remember them describing her blade it was purple, in the YJN books, and then violet-blue in NJO. On most of the book covers it is blue. I have one saber now with a white LED and three color change disc's that give me violet, it's very pretty. ^_^

I'm also going to have another one made (Same saber, I just want a spare) and I'm going to have a blue LED put in. The saber maker I get them from does an excellent blue. I had a blue LED Jaina Saber before but it was stolen out of my office at work. =(

-Larame

13. RebelAllianceBarbie

RebelAllianceBarbie Jedi Knight

Jan 6, 2007

14. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005

15. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    Anyone have any good ideas for belt buckles? I've gotten my leather and dye. I found the buckles i'm going to use for this one::
    http://www.geocities.com/scruffyrebel/jbig7.jpg

I'm going to use these
    http://tandyleather.com/products.asp?number=11687-00
    And have someone cut them down on the sides to the size I want and shave the corners down a bit.

My problem is finding the three buckles for this one::
    http://www.geocities.com/scruffyrebel/jbig1.jpg

The center one is more of a square and the two side ones are more rectangular. I can tell they need to be center bar buckles, but the ones I saw at Tandy just didn't cut it. I want to be 100% accurate. Any ideas?

-Larame

16. PrincessSolo

Jul 21, 2003
    haha, it's weird when I see my site being used XD Man does it need an update.

Mmm, I ended up going with Anakin buckles instead...I liked the shape of them and connecting with the movies. My friend who has also done Jaina cut them out of craft foam....fun way to make accurate buckles when they don't exist in the real world XD It's no problem finding square buckles that look like the ref image...but I've just never seen them in rectangle form :\

I was at the Discovery Ball at the California Science Center the other night and was talking with the other girls there about how Jaina cosplayers are all so possessive XD It's very different from all the many Padme and Leia cosplayers...Jaina cosplayers always feel like THEY are the only one who IS Jaina and looks just like her, etc. It was just funny to see the two previous posts doing just that because it made the conversation all the more valid XD Nothing funnier too, than when a bunch of Jaina fans get together and it's all like "No...I'm the one that is totally Jaina", "No...that's ME!", hahaha. CIV is going to be crazy.

~Princess Solo

17. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    But you know the best part about that? Because we have so many different types of Jaina reference images, we can look completely different and still fit the part. Like Rebelalliancebarbie, she fits the American cover Jaina from Dark Journey, etc...I kinda fit the japanese cover jaina. I just dont feel comfortable doing a costume for a canon character I look nothing like...I'd make a crap Mara Jade, even though I love her character. ^_^

The craft foam would probably work well, I just wanted to have a real metal buckle. Stupid concept drawings. I did find these though...
    http://www.albest.com/product.asp?Func=DispProd&SelCat=Buckles&SelSubCat=Stamped+Buckles&Page=3

I was thinking of using #1 and #4 on this page. I went ahead and ordered them, hopefully they will be an okay size.

-Larame

18. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    My opinion on looking like your character: wigs are available in every color and hair length, make up does wonders to change your face. If you want to do a costume of someone, don't let what you look like stop you! Who cares if your body type is a little off or your coloring is wrong. Have fun, that's what this is all about.

I got to play with an UltraSaber this weekend, it sold me on them. I must say, they rock. You can fight with them, and they are so much brighter than an MR saber. I'm considering getting a conversion kit for my Vader Saber or just buying one out right. $200 is a bit of an ouch ATM though. Have any of you done the conversion kits? How hard are they?

19. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Larame - nice find on the belt buckles!

I was going through my fabric tubs the other day and found a dark green poly-spandex medium weight that I think I may have originally bought for the Reunion Jaina costume a couple of years ago before finding a more stretchy green. The green is just a little darker than I would like, but I may at least use this for mockup to work on the pattern and see how I like the end result. I saw a really nice slight-stretch suede at JoAnns the other day that was so tempting for this... but my patterns call for 60" wide and this was only 48". :( While working on the mockup I'll have to see how much extra material it would take using 48". I'm currently working on a Firefly costume, but hope to start working on the mockup for this sometime soon.

Here's something that has always slightly bugged me about this outfit, though. Just based on logic, I would have thought that in general pants material should be heavier than a tunic material, especially a tunic that looks form-fitting like this. Yet if the pants and tunic are made from the same material, then they're the same weight. I suppose I could try lining stuff and/or using interfacing, but overall it's just something that's puzzled me for a while.

Oh, and I have to agree with Jedi_Dajuan. This really is about having fun, and if someone would have fun with a certain costume or character, they should certainly go for it.

20. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    I don't disagree that you should have fun with the character, I just think it makes it even better if you really do the part well. I think a costume you want to do for any character is great, I just think it's even more awesome if you naturally look the part. We have a obi-wan in our group that looks almost identical ewan. And whats even better, he's a professional costume designer so he has the perfect costume, down to the thread. But hey, to each his own, anyone who does any kind of star wars cosplay is okay with me. XD

Hopefully those buckles I ordered are not plastic, cause the site says something about plastic. Anyone know any custom buckle makers or metal workers that can do this kind of custom work and dont just make buckles with giant skulls or rebel flags on them? >_<

-Larame

21. PrincessSolo

Jul 21, 2003
    You could maybe try and work a bit with metal yourself? I did that with the metal peices of my Leia belt. Like...as far as the ref pic goes from the Essentials outfit, I don't see a point where there would be belt holes, ya know? Like it's just the square peice, with the middle bar, but not that last peice that goes through the hole. It just loops in and out only. You could always get some aluminum sheets or something like that at an Ace Hardward or other hardware store, so shears and have at it. It's a bit of manual labor but totally doable in case those buckles are plastic or something.

~Princess Solo

22. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    That sounds like a good idea. Hopefully the ones I ordered will be up to par, but thats a good backup. Thats what it seems like to me too, just the center bar buckle without the little thing for the belt hole.

-Larame

23. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005

HAHA! That is SO true!!! Except.. I dont get possessive about Jaina... It's more Mirax for me.. I'm one of two Mirax costumes.. and we are friends so it works.

I soooooo dont look like Jaina.... Short, Auburn hair; blue eyes; Super tall... Yea. so not Jaina lol

24. Lady_Skywalker13

Lady_Skywalker13 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 27, 2006
    That's ok. I definately look like Mara Jade, all the way. Yet I my favorite costumes to do are Padme's. I just they are the prettiest! It's ok though because I can act like Padme, so with a wig it's not too far fetched. It's all about presentation!

25. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I did the same with the pieces on my Leia belt. It wasn't difficult, though I did have to file the edges after cutting the pieces. You can also find small pieces of sheet metal at some hobby stores; that's where I got mine because it seemed a bit more shiny and uniform in apearance from what I saw at the hardware store. The difficulty level will probably depend on how thick you want your buckles though, I guess... for the Leia belt, I didn't need something super thick, so they weren't hard to cut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.