PT Jake Lloyd: Star Wars made my life "a living hell"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by qui-gon-kim, Mar 6, 2012.

Moderators: SithStarSlayer
  1. darthzac14 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Maybe Jake didn't like being replaced by Hayden Christensen
  2. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'd bet that Jake was at the very least relieved to be replaced by Hayden, if not overjoyed.
  3. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    One of my favourite moments is the scene where he learns a) that he has been freed, and b) that his mother hasn't and he must leave her behind. There's a poignant moment where he hangs his head in shame/sorrow/anger/disappointment, sulkily distanced from the effervescence he had just displayed up to that point, with a hint of anguish beyond his years, as if he knew this moment would be upon him and he'd always be forced to make this choice. It's a powerful display of acting because I believe this kid carries a sense of gloom beyond his light exterior that is scarring to his dreams and visions.

When the exterior is broken and a manifestation of his worldly sadness is glimpsed, it's infinitely touching. For a moment, Anakin puts himself beyond counselling, beyond reason: seeds of Vader (Anakin = anarchy = agony). In Frank Herbert's "Dune", such children, born with a deeper awareness than their present life, if you like, are literally called an Abomination, essentially becoming "pre-born", overloaded with ancestral memories that are seen to be corrupting of their soul. There's a hint of this with Anakin and his mysterious conception: for all the light, there is something dark and unspeakably horrific there as well.

Interestingly, "Dune" also confers the term "Other Memory", where a Reverend Mother (powerful ecclesiastics -- somewhat like Jedi Masters) can access their entire female lineage, but their male lineage is totally totally cut-off. Leia shows a similar power in ROTJ, recalling the mother where Luke cannot, while she seems mute to the notion that Darth Vader is her father (and Vader is all that Luke can think about). These parallels shade the Star Wars saga immensely, in my view. I guess I read into small moments particular significance that others cannot. I feel this helps me appreciate the story and all its components in a deeper way. But to each, their own.
    Last edited by Cryogenic, Feb 16, 2013
  4. SHAD0W-JEDI Jedi Master

star 3
    If you read about the lives of athletes and actors and such, it seems that fame is definitely a double-edged sword. There are some things about it that can be wonderful, and some things about it that can be a trial - depending on your situation and your personality to begin with. And I doubt most of us "non-celebrity" types can imagine the downsides quite as easily as we can imagine the upsides. Something as simple as almost never being able to have a meal out, uninterrupted, can probably get old, fast. Although again - on the other side - if the fan reaction is mostly positive, having people come up to you for the rest of your life telling you how much they enjoyed X, Y, or Z, must be nice. So a very mixed bag, I am sure ... and especially for someone as young as Jake Lloyd was at the time.
  5. Blur Force Ghost

star 4
    The difference between JL/other child actors/actresses & actors/actresses who are acting as adults is obvious:

Who will recognize these child actors when they're adults, unless they've continued acting? Granted, when I saw a picture of JL at one of the SW celebrations last year, I recognized him since the picture caption identified him - but, I probably wouldn't have been able to recognize him in a crowd. So, though this may have been a problem when he was younger, I just don't think that he has people mobbing him or knowing who he is when he goes out in public these days. IIRC he was 9 back in '99, so now he's 22-23. I just don't see the general public recognizing him as little Anakin & giving him grief because of this - though, I could be wrong....
    Last edited by Blur, Feb 16, 2013
  6. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 6
    What's Jake Lloyd doing nowadays?
  7. Darthbane2007 Force Ghost

star 4
    What I get from the video, is that Star Wars itself didn't make Jake Lloyd's life a living hell; it was fans who kept badgering him about how he " ruined Star Wars" and kept making fun of his acting in the movie...
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
Moderators: SithStarSlayer