main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Jakku - Desert planet in TFA revealed

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben R, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    ...we already experienced all of that story. It's time to move on, elsewhere in the galaxy. There are a lot of sand planets, a lot of snow planets, forest planets, jungle planets, fungus planets, water planets, etc. Get used to it.

2. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

You will see Kylo on Jakku in Episode VII. :) [face_beatup]

Jaxxon- likes this.
  3. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    what makes you so sure, grand master jedi?

4. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    It was in the trailer.

5. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    So, Jakku is Tattooine, huh? Tell ya what... Until we get some specifics stating other wise I'm going to regard them as two different planets. And I'm going to regard anyone who says they are the same planet with the same amount of *ahem* respect as I do members of the Flat Earth Society.

I, personally, like the idea that Jakku was a lush world prior to that SSD crash landing on it. According to scientific papers, such a large object hitting a planets atmosphere would cause catastrophic damage to the planet. I even think that Endor would be a nuclear wasteland after the DS2 was destroyed. You can't have that amount of debris raining down on a planet and not have something bad happen. Check out the data collected in this Tulane University site. And that chart only lists something the size of half an SSD being catastrophic. An object as big as 19 KM? Game over, man.

But, why do we have to have a desert "planet" anyway? Why couldn't this be a desert landscape on a planet with multiple zones just like Earth?

Another question... the scene with the X-Wings gliding over the lake... was that on Jakku? or another planet entirely?

Oh, and on those maps... One thing that will identify those as EU... no question about it: Zonama Sekot. That's the origin planet of the Yuuzhan Vong.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  6. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

They are two different planets.

thejeditraitor, Satipo and DarthIshyZ like this.
  7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    A bit too far.

8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    really?

Darth Punk and TheBBP like this.
  9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    you khan not be serious?

10. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Yes, and we are already experienced with Luke/all other characters, the star wars universe itself, yet another movie is being made and Luke/all other characters are in it.. I don't see your point.

11. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

The new movie is about the new characters. The OT characters are basically supporting roles/cameos. It's no longer their story.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  12. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

I still don't get his point. Jakku looks just like Tatooine, this is just completely unnecessary to me.

13. Cartoon Boba

Cartoon Boba Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    Exactly, Darth's spare head.

14. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the Earth".

NJO is my favorite EU \ Legends.

What is the name of the Force Planet Yoda visited in TCW?

Force Smuggler and DarthIshyZ like this.
  15. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    there's no reason to lie. if it was tatooine they say that.

16. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    The Empire never gave 2 cents for Tatooine. It is a backwater, Hutt controlled planet. Only visited when 2 droids carrying the plans of their Death Star ventured there. In that respect, Jakku seems to be different, as The Empire fought a huge battle with the Rebel Alliance over it. Perhaps there's something of value in there.

17. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

While I agree that TFA will not contain Lucas's imagination (which is no one's fault besides Lucas himself), I wouldn't be so sure about the mythological motifs. They may not be the motifs Lucas would have chosen, but there have been lots of theories thrown around (in the "treatments" and "Hammil" threads) discussing archtypes and parallels to Arthurian legend. Fisher King, Excalibur, all kinds of stuff people are tossing around as ideas. I think TFA might have a huge mythological foundation...just maybe not of the kind Lucas would have done. But again, of no one's fault but his.

18. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    gl may have bits in there still.

19. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Glitterstim Spice.

Dak Oolron and thejeditraitor like this.
  20. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    While the name Jakku was initially quite jarring when I first heard it, it's really grown on me. Jakku. Love it!

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Knock knock

Who's there?

Jakku

Jakku who?

Jakku won an Oscar for One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest!!

22. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    You know what they say.. "He who controls the spice, controls the universe"

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Earth was impacted greatly when the asteroid that wiped out the Dinosaur's wasn't it?
    How do we know that that Jakku is only desert? Couldn't it be multiple biomes?

Toonimator likes this.
  24. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    It looks similar to Tatooine, not "just like" it. It has more shrubbery, in what we've seen of it, than Tatooine...and is less rocky, too.

It's giving us a believable world* to kick off the ST, one that's familiar in appearance--in that it reminds us of the first world we saw in the OT--yet is different, thus expanding the galaxy rather than revisiting the exact same dustball for the billionth time (Tatooine is the most over-exposed world in all of Star Wars). If you want more Tatooine, there are dozens of books, comics, and video games where the world is featured. The new Marvel SW comics have already visited Tatooine in more than a couple issues.

*as opposed to some of the more fantastical worlds we saw in ROTS, for example, that were quite alien but lacked a certain something to make 'em truly believable

Dewback likes this.
  25. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

As bobbyroberts said; it is in the Teaser Trailer. ;)

Jaxxon- and thejeditraitor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.