main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Jakku - Desert planet in TFA revealed

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben R, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mapusoul

Mapusoul Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2015
    Who knows, maybe the backstory of this planet is similar to the "Endor Holocaust" theory

Toonimator likes this.
  2. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    oh epic! thanks again :)

i hope he arrives sometime during the day and explores the planet.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  3. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    he arrives at night and murders a bunch of people. Then he leaves again.

Jaxxon- likes this.
  4. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    thanks dude!

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He arrives and farts on a bunch of people. Then he stays for a while.

6. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    He arrives, leaves again, thinks about arriving another time, then does...then has lunch.

7. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    Exclusive footage of Kylo Ren from The Force Awakens!

[​IMG]

8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    pretty.. pretty.. pretty good.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  9. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    MSW new info on backstory:

How can a worthless planet have strategic value? Surely that would make it worthwhile? :D Me confused!

10. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Then he has to tape the coke on the babysitter so she can make her flight, then he has to sell some guns, and THEN he has to go home and stir the sauce...

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Someone on Reddit suggested that Jakku has multiple climates. I think that's a cool idea and would love to see it.

12. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    Makes no sense, lol.
    Yeah, during the winter we'll see Santa flying around with his reindeers. :D

13. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Tatooine is the most overexposed planet in Star Wars history. It's main importance is really only to audiences; in-universe, it's only notable as Jabba's base of operations and the place where the Chosen One was found, which is just a factoid in the Jedi Archives rather than something actually giving it much significance. That's it. Luke was only found there because of story reasons, not anything inherent to Tatooine itself. It's supposed to be a backwater, a boring world whose primary claim to fame is as the base of operations for a crime lord.

Jakku gives us a familiar-looking setting--another backwater desert--for meeting our "new hope" of the ST, giving us some of that nostalgia for first meeting Luke (or even Little Ani), yet without having Tatooine appear for a 7th time in film (ANH, ROTJ, TPM, AOTC, ROTS, TCW:The Movie; it only got name-checked in ESB), and the eleventy billionth time overall, factoring in all the games, comics, and books in which it was featured.

14. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I'm betting that Tatooine makes an appearance in TFA.

15. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Dismissing Tatooine from SW is lime dismissing Krypton from Superman or Gotham City from Batman.

Rabs likes this.
  16. Psych_Jedi

Psych_Jedi Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I saw that thread saying it should be Tatooine instead of Jakku. At first I thought it was a good point, as it has been instrumental in the saga. Then it occurred to me that Anakin came from Tatooine, which didn't go so well; then we have Luke and while he succeeded, there appears to have been a major setback. So, perhaps, another desert planet is brought in for a change of pace and the "new hope" to finish the deal. Also, I'm sure Tatooine won't be ignored in the ST.

17. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    ...no it isn't. First of all, Krypton blew up, so they can't go back (outside of alternate realities, virtual-realities created by Brainiac, time travel, etc). Second, Gotham City is Batman's home territory, it's the city he's chosen to protect. Tatooine is the home Luke couldn't wait to leave, and even when called on to come back, he never stayed long and admitted there's nothing to see there, or worth staying for.

Tatooine had its time... it doesn't need to be in every film or SW project. It's not that important. Better we explore the rest of the galaxy than keep the focus on one tiny, worthless dustball. We haven't even seen Corellia once in canon material!

Revyl Ren and syferdiasisalie like this.
  18. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

Perhaps in the same way a bunch of worthless atolls in the Pacific had huge strategic value? Midway/Tulagi/The Aleutians, etc. etc. etc. Likely Jakku has no resources but is in the right spot to control hyperspace lanes/other transit.

DaddlerTheDalek, Rabs and Toonimator like this.
  19. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  20. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I'm fine with Tatooine not being in a Star Wars movie, but the question seems to be: Why have a planet that looks EXACTLY like Tatooine in the movie, only under a different name? That seems worse.

I heard the First Order was going to have a moon-sized space station that destroys entire planets! It's called: The Planet Destroyer. At least there's no Death Star again, whew!

ender2k, mikeximus and Wildcatbarry like this.
  21. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    For one thing, it doesn't look "EXACTLY" like Tatooine. For another, the point's already been made: it's for nostalgia. It gives us a familiar setting for the intro to this trilogy and discovery of the next "new hope", but without continuing the flawed, "it's what the fans want because they'll instantly identify with it from ANH" tradition of making Tatooine the busiest little backwater in the whole galaxy.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  22. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    jakku is a battleship graveyard and the weapon isn't called the planet destroyer.

23. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000

You're kidding!

Because....I was.

24. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Toon, I agree with you there, I would love to see Corellia in TFA or at least in this new trilogy.

My point was that Tatooine is important to SW.
    For the fact of it being where we first meet Anakin.
    Then we first meet Luke there also.

Tatooine has a history with SW lore in the same manner as Gotham City for Batman. It is his home turf as you corrextly stated. I see Tatooine in the same fashion.

Now is it gonna deter me from going to see TFA? No.

I just hope they dont forget where they came from. That being Tatooine.

Rabs likes this.
  25. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Anakin came from Tatooine, tho we don't know that he was born there. Luke was brought to Tatooine, because Anakin's step-brother lived there, and Luke couldn't wait to get away. Totally unlike Batman and Gotham's history with him...Batman chose to make Gotham a better place, because he loves his city. Anakin & Luke both hated Tatooine with the white-hot fire of twin suns.

There is no importance to Tatooine in-universe beyond it being Jabba's base of operations and, for the Jedi, the place where Anakin was found and where Luke was hidden along with Obi-Wan. After that, nothing. It's the armpit of the galaxy. Its importance to us, as audience members, is tangential and rooted in nostalgia and nothing more. We met Luke there, after being told what a desolate place it was... and we saw that it was a dump. Luke couldn't wait to get away from it, and I couldn't blame him... the only interesting aspects were the Jawas, Tuskens, and Mos Eisley, which are better explored in supplemental material rather than further movies. I, like Luke, like Anakin, wanted to see the rest of the galaxy. Anywhere but here. Star Wars wasn't about Luke or Anakin learning to appreciate their home like other stories where people couldn't wait to get out of their hometowns, only to return to 'em years later with a new attitude... that is not what Star Wars is about, and it's not any part of Luke or Anakin's journey. Going back to Tatooine only brought Anakin pain. Luke only went back to rescue his best friend (and, now via the comics, to see if there was anything Ben might've left that could've given him a clue on how to proceed). Will he set up a doomed Jedi academy there in TFA's flashback? Perhaps...or it could be Devaron, or someplace else. Is Luke living in Ben's old hut at the end of the film? Nope, unless Tatooine has some severe tectonic events which lead to climate change on an insanely accelerate level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.