main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Jakku - Desert planet in TFA revealed

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben R, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    You are most definitely entitled to your opinion brother Toon.

If I could add an additional point:
    The famous Mos Eisley Cantina scene was on Tatooine.

Very infamous scene in movie history.

Rabs likes this.
  2. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Tatooine is also where we first meet Obi-Wan, Han and Chewie. And when you add in Jawas, Sand People, Kryat Dragons, and the Star Wars underworld Tatooine is quite an interesting and fascinating place.

3. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Amen brother Rabs.

Rabs likes this.
  4. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    We've seen Tat too many times. Just how big is this GALAXY far far away, anyway?

5. Sightie

Sightie Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2015

Maybe it isn't the planet itself that was important but rather the location. Maybe it's located to an important hyperspace lane or something. Or maybe, and this is my favorite theory, the planet was green until the star destroyer crashed there, I'm thinking that the hyperdrive or powersource of something that big exploding could cause like a nuclear explosion and kill everything on the surface in a chain reaction.

6. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

No, that's actually giving Tatooine a bit too much credit. Gotham City is practically the entire world of Batman; Tatooine would be more comparable to a specific location in Gotham, such as Crime Alley (where Bruce's parents were murdered). The Gotham of Star Wars would be "the Galaxy Far, Far Away."

Toonimator and Enkei like this.
  7. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I think Aftermath has killed that hypothesis for good. I can't see a green, beautiful world being discussed in the way Jakku was discussed in the book, months before the big battle.

8. Sightie

Sightie Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2015
    I'm reading aftermath now, but I've either missed or not read that part yet. We'll go with important hyperlane then

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I feel like they should have made the sand or sky a different color, put in some rivers, or something to make it different.

10. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015

I agree. They could easily do that in editing with CGI or something. Hopefully they read this lol.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    lol indeed.

Toonimator likes this.
  12. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    ...it's very easy to go wrong there, tho. Remember Geonosis? Different-color sand, different-color sky, looked incredibly fake, like a failed attempt at creating Mars. It's a tough thing to sell an alien world, when our brains are trained to accept a certain range of environmental factors as 'normal'. Trek had those silly fake-looking sets in TOS, and in early TNG as well... some alien worlds where they shot on location outdoors, they added a filter (admittedly, a better one could be used nowadays) and it just screamed "filter".

There's also the cheap "logical" way to explain it: only a certain type of world is habitable to most humanoids, and most of those worlds share certain traits like blue skies. A few more obvious differences might have been nice to see, but maybe they really wanted to sell the 'familiarity' of a standard desert world in the GFFA.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  13. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    an incredibly, fake, fictional, alien world? really?

14. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    You know exactly what I mean. It lacked believability. I never thought any of the characters in the Geonosis scenes weren't on a soundstage in front of a green screen in that whole section of the film.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  15. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    not to
    not to me.

Darth PJ and Rabs like this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Back to the point, the reason that it looked that way to you wasn't because of the color of the sky, nor was it because there were rivers.

17. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    A very faint pink that sparkles slightly. Just enough to make you think the sand is full of shattered quartz. Maybe a little blue to break it up.

Darth PJ and darklordoftech like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.