main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Jakku - Desert planet in TFA revealed

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben R, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nando

Nando Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2014
  2. Lord Crevil

Lord Crevil Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 21, 2015
    i know what a filibuster is i was being sarcastic
    [​IMG]

3. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Reistivally the idea of a world littered with starship remains works best visually with a desert environment.

Also, would you believe you are reading my Tapatalk signature?

4. Captain Phasma

Captain Phasma Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 4, 2015
    Yeah, the part of the Battlefront trailer with Boba Fett is definitely Tatooine. There's a friggin' Sandcrawler in the background.
    [​IMG]

thejeditraitor likes this.
  5. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Confirmed on April 16th 2015 by JJ Abrams at his and Kathleen Kennedy's panel at Anaheim celebration. So many questions I'm sure us curious cats can ask.

Mod approved

6. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Can this be the planet the Resistance went into hiding on after ROTJ? There was a battle above, as shown by the downed Star Destroyer and X-Wing. I heard the planet was mostly uninhabited, except for a few stragglers. It's like Hoth, but with sand, which gets everywhere and is coarse, etc. :p

7. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I was thinking if (big if) Jakku was Luke's first Jedi academy, he may have chosen it because it was similar to Tatooine, feeling an affinity with it, thinking it safe in its isolation and a good training ground. Maybe it didn't have the crime elements when he first settled there.

But how to explain all the junked ships is difficult. And those rumors seem to explain them.

Toonimator likes this.
  8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no where have i seen any connective tissue between jakku and luke's academy.

Dra--- likes this.
  9. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Which I could see that battle!

10. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    It looks like we will. Battlefront's first DLC will be a battle on Jakku set right after RotJ.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge, and thread title updated to better reflect the topic of the combined threads.

12. Nando

Nando Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2014
    Luke Academy lasted a year friend?

13. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    There's a savanna. Last I checked tatooine doesn't have that

14. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    If the Battlefront game is Canon, does that mean characters such as Vader and Fett won't appear at the Battle of Jakku on account of being dead already? (Unless he did make it out of the Sarlacc after all).

15. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    This is Tatooine... no place else has sandcrawlers. As for Fett being back... the brought Maul back from the dead, so I see no reason they wouldn't bring Boba back.

I know likes this.
  16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    so I bring this up, so now that this isn't Tatooine here'a few photo, now I wonder what the markings on the gate are???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Messi likes this.
  17. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Is there any evidence at all that the village massacre scene actually takes place on Jakku? If I remember correctly, the village set was built at Pinewood. I mean, why bother. You're in Abu Dhabi anyway. Why not just do it there? Strange..

I know likes this.
  18. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    I think you're right. If they're trying to establish Jakku as a new plant that's distinct from Tatooine then having Sandcrawlers (and by inference Jawas) appearing, would get a bit confusing.

19. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Construction costs and travel costs for bringing all the cast and crew and building materials plus you have better control on a closed set in the studio back lot.

We don't know anything more than the planets name and its environment, its been hinted at that it's located in the Outer Rim so it could be a twin planet of Tatooine and therefore other desert locations shot at Pinewood could be another desert planet.

20. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm sorry, did you see the size of the Abu Dhabi set? You're crew are already there. So flying a few cast members is going to hurt the budget is it? I'm surmising that the village massacre scene isn't on Jakku at all...it's on Tatooine.

21. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Rumours started coming out of Abu Dhabi virtually from day one, we knew about AT AT's, TIE's crashing, Boyega's character being a stormtrooper. I wouldn't be surprised if they were going to shoot there but when they saw the plot leaks they switched to Pinewood. Like I said you can have a certain amount of control in a studio back lot that you can't have in the middle of an area that's accessible to the public, plus the Abu Dhabi tourist PR people weren't exactly tight lipped either.

KenW likes this.
  22. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

It looks the same to me. :confused: If this is the best J.J. could come up with as being new, then he should have just used Tatooine again.

23. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I was going off of the shot in the trailer of Luke kneeling with R2. The setting looked like it could be Jakku to me. If so, then it would seem to follow that Jakku was home of the academy.

But maybe not.

Personally, I like the idea of a planet that's a ship graveyard. That's new and it makes sense it would be a desert.

Why would you have a ship graveyard on an oasis?

EDIT: Wonder if we'll get a long shot showing how the planet is covered in ships?

Immortiss and thejeditraitor like this.
  24. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

Well, it's not impossible, but then you have two very similar looking desert/ rocky locations that aren't the same planet. I imagine the set was easier to control and fitted the schedule better at Pinewood.

25. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    So Jakku and Tatooine? The idea being Luke had his academy on the latter?

Is this speculation or have we heard something concrete yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.