main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Jakku Spy (and other VR Star Wars App Stories)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Tomorrow the Star Wars app is releasing "Jakku Spy", the first in a series of TFA tie-in VR story episode designed for the Google Cardboard VR experience.

From starwars.com:
    Verizon is also releasing special Star Wars themed Cardboard viewer in its stores tomorrow to tie-in as part of its #WhyNotWednesday initiative.

Just placing this here for those who wish to discuss when it drops tomorrow!
    [​IMG]

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...so this is different from the existing Augmented Reality thing? How does it work?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    It's going to be like those 360 YouTube videos or the Jakku one that was posted on Facebook a bit ago. Google cardboard basically turns your phone into a makeshift Oculus Rift so you can look around the video hands-free.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ah, I got it. I liked that Jakku video. Cool -- should be fun. Hope the video itself is not Verizon-exclusive, even If the cardboard is.

vstarvan likes this.
  5. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Sounds like Verizon subscribers can pick up a free cardboard kit. Hope my local Verizon stores are participating!

6. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    WAIT MY WORK PHONE IS VERIZON.

Hopefully they don't need any actual information and I can just like, show them the phone and get the thing. oooooo.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Why would you ever name a product after cardboard, famous for being the most boring material on earth? Is Google, in its hubris, just trying to see what it can get away with? "Hey, I bet we can name it fricking 'Cardboard' and they'll still buy it!"

8. vstarvan

Aug 11, 2013
    Probably because it's literally made out of cardboard. :p

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    That is not a sufficient justification. If they upgrade it to be more durable, are they going to change the name to "Google Cheap Piece of Plastic"? You're selling a product here! The name is supposed to appeal!

Is Ric Olie working in their marketing department or what?

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I appreciate honesty. If I bought a piece a cardboard I'd like that it's called that.

And what's boring about cardboard? It can be a time machine, a transmogrifier, a duplicator or a million other things!

vstarvan likes this.
  11. vstarvan

Aug 11, 2013

As a matter of fact, you can get the equally imaginatively named "EVA" or "Knox Aluminum" if you prefer. But the whole point of it being cheap cardboard is so anyone can get their hands on VR for just $20, so there won't be any upgrading.:)

12. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Just walked into my local verizon store, and they directed me to a pile of the devices on the table and said, "take one!" - didn't ask for name, phone number, or any credentials. I got the BB-8 one. The first Jakku spy episode is incredibly basic and VERY short, but still pretty cool, and a fun intro to the tech.

I plugged in the 360 Jakku speeder tour video and gave it to my 5 year old daughter - it freaking blew her mind!

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    My local Verizon store didn't get them in yet but they jotted my name down to call me when they come in. Hopefully they don't notice I gave them an AT&T number :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    My daughter literally walked into furniture in an attempt to see more of Jakku. Success!

Grand Admiral Paxis likes this.
  15. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I picked up a BB8 viewer today. Kind of fun but I hope the other chapters are longer than this one.
    Is there a way to get that 360 Jakku video for the cardboard app?

16. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    You can do a search for it in YouTube. Heres the link:

There are a bunch of 360 and 3D YouTube videos Cardboard ready. The cardboard logo appears as an option at the bottom, and you need to tap it to get it into split-screen 3d mode. The Jakku speeder video is awesome on cardboard!

my kind of scum likes this.
  17. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    This was, surprisingly, really really cool.

18. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    I think Part 2 arrives tomorrow.

So... are we being placed literally in the shoes of Poe Dameron: Resistance Spy on Jakku?
    From the epilogue to the JTTFA book 'Moving Target':
    [​IMG]

If so, and this is the case, based on things we've seen in the trailers, things could be getting very interesting very quickly.

19. my kind of scum

Mar 4, 2002
    I'm feeling like an idiot but I cannot get the Jakku 360 video to work with cardboard. I can't find a version of the video that has the cardboard logo to tap to make it work. I've downloaded the youtube app and I've searched and opened the video through the browser on my phone, but none of them seem to offer a version that will work with cardboard. Please take pity on a moron and help me figure out what I am doing wrong.

20. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    The copy I linked and embedded abive works, if you have the latest version of YouTube on an android phone. Not sure if you also need the cardboard app installed as well.

21. my kind of scum

Mar 4, 2002
    Ah. I do not have an android device. I imagine that is the difference (I didn't know that google and android were linked to tell you the truth until reading up on it today.) Has anyone been able to make the original Jakku video work with ios? It would be nice if they would add that one to the Star Wars app as well...

vstarvan likes this.
  22. vstarvan

Aug 11, 2013
    After some googling it seems cardboard for YouTube is not supported on iOS. Hopefully that changes, but from the looks of it people have been complaining about this feature's absence for months.

my kind of scum likes this.
  23. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Chapter 2 is now up on the app!

Seeing a different part of Jakku following up on what we saw last time around, and featuring a message from someone we've been seeing a lot of in the new canon lately (from comics to novels to YA novels).

(Also, it looks like we'll be having the ability to go straight from episode-to-episode so eventually you can watch the whole thing through without leaving the viewer. Fun!)

Also, now I think we're not 'experiencing' Poe as I speculated above, but rather perhaps the individual who reported about Poe to Emmat . . .

24. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Part 3 is up! And it takes place inside a very familiar locale. Plus - you get to see BB-8 right up, close, and personal! Check it out!

So it very much looks like a key part of the plot is tracking the Falcon's arrival on Jakku. Why is the Jakku spy so interested in the Falcon? Why/How did we get onboard?

25. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I'm sorry. I really just do get this jakku spy thing.
    Admittedly I don't have access to this cardboard thing and only viewing via the app on Android.

But what am I supposed to do? All I seem to be able to do is have a look around z tap to take screenshots before being told whether I wanted to replay it or quit.

Am I missing something fundamental here guys?