main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

James Cameron + Newsweek Criticise 'Star Wars'

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBrennan3333, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anglachel

anglachel Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2005
    I am surprised that no one has brought this up yet. Everyone seems to have meekly capitulated to the statement that "Titanic beats Star Wars in every metric". This is absolutely untrue. If you take inflation adjusted totals (i.e. a dollar in 1977 is worth more than a dollar in 1998), then Titanic falls to 6th place where Star Wars is number 2 ( http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm ).

People are also talking about how Titianic stayed in the theaters for several months. Star Wars was in theatres for over a year. In '77-78 there weren't 16-20 screen megaplexes either.

Titanic was a huge movie (ignore the pun), but not in the same league as SW.

2. Anaxamander

Anaxamander Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    Alien > Aliens

And if you want serious sci-fi, you need look no further than Ridley Scott, who gave us both _Alien_ and _Blade Runner_.

3. Obi1_Shinobi

Obi1_Shinobi Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2005
    There never has been and never will be "proof" that a certain movie is good or bad. We're always going to just have to do the best we can with the above statistics and with the consensus of critics.

I disagree, in my opinion when judging the quality of a movie all it comes down to is "did I like it or not?"

But there will always be people who will say, "No! Torque was a major hit!" Just as there will always be people who say "The American people LOVED AOTC!" What can you do? They have no respect for common sense and they're not bound by truth. (Hey, you gotta respect that.)

Truth? I'm sorry but you cannot say FACT: This movie was good/bad, its an opinion. However I may have missed the point, if you are saying that general consensus is that AOTC was a bad movie then I suppose that can be backed up with statistics, but what statistics do you have to suggest that AOTC was generally disliked by the American people, it made a good bit of money at the box office didn't it? And reviews were mixed, not overwhelmingly negative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.