main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph James Cameron's Avatar (The Way of Water + sequels)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Clonuscant, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Aliens is possibly one of my all time favourite movies, ever. Even if he doesn't beat it, to make something half as comparable would satisfy me.

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    It is one of the most hyped movies of the decade. Hype is created by the marketing and Hollywood itself. That's not referring to word-of-mouth among regular folks like us- that's something different, like "interest" or just "WoM." There's also "buzz", but that seems to refer to interest/WoM among industry insiders.

95% on RT so far. Just one rotten from the Guardian. It'll probably get another rotten from Armond White...

3. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Looks like there's a few lukewarm reviews...

just in case this is making you lose faith... (:p)

clicky

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's seems the majority, so far, are very positive in a "lives up to the hype" kind of way, which is promising. I'm not busting my ass to catch a 9am 3D True-IMAX showing in NYC (the midnight was sold out and sadly 9am was the next one available) for nothing ;)

5. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Wow, is this movie really 3 hours and 12 minutes?!! Amazing how much faith Hollywood must have in Cameron after Titanic, to once again make a 3 hour plus movie of his the most expensive ever made. Is it true the budget exceeded 400 million?

Slimy!

6. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Four stars from Roger Ebert.

7. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    This review makes it sound like Star Wars in 1977, it's like nothing we have ever seen before.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/12/11/brandons-word-avatar-is-truly-indistinguishable-from-magic/

I will most likely see it twice standard theater then later in IMAX 3D

On a Star Wars note, I saw a rumor on the net this week that this "new" technology that Avatar is using could draw Lucas back to make more Star Wars movie's.

So I hope it's that good. It will have to be, to get Lucas to make another trilogy.

8. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Roger Ebert gives Avatar **** out of four stars.

From his review:
    "Watching "Avatar," I felt sort of the same as when I saw "Star Wars" in 1977. That was another movie I walked into with uncertain expectations. James Cameron's film has been the subject of relentlessly dubious advance buzz, just as his "Titanic" was. Once again, he has silenced the doubters by simply delivering an extraordinary film. There is still at least one man in Hollywood who knows how to spend $250 million, or was it $300 million, wisely."

Sounds good

9. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    The consensus seems to be that the effects are amazing and make the film a must-see, but the actual plot leaves much to be desired, despite the effort of the actors.

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Obviously, I've got to see it.

11. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    4.5/5

from IGN (a very, previously, skeptical source.)

Not since seeing Star Wars as a little kid have I felt so completely and magically transported to such a strange, new world. IGN

12. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    I am driving one hour to the nearest IMAX 3D to see this film.

I have never seen a film in 3D before so I figure might as well start with one that is suppose to rock.

13. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    What's even more impressive is that ROGER ****in' EBERT basically said the same thing. :D

14. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    I bought tickets to see it Saturday with my family. The reviews were enough to convince me. I had high hopes until I saw the first trailer and felt pretty disappointed. However, I forgot to never rely on the trailers alone. I'm giving it a shot and have high hopes once more.

15. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is one of the worst films I have ever seen, a movie I would have walked out on if I were there alone, a movie I would have tried to nap through if it weren't so loud. And yet that movie made nearly $900 million worldwide. Avatar will hit the billion mark easily I think. I'm not sure it will even be considered a success if it doesn't, considering its production and marketing costs and hype.

16. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    It'll be fun, perhaps visually spectacular. But I doubt it'll amount to anything more.

17. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    I could say the same thing about Star Trek. And I loved Star Trek.

Sci-fi fantasy movie will be fun and visually stunning, however it won't be more than that. :p

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    wiki

The film has been rated PG-13 by the MPAA for violence, sensuality, language and some smoking.[7]

Rated PG13 for smoking? lmao

19. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Well I'm sure if all it had was smoking it wouldn't be PG-13. But I think the ratings system is starting to crack down on smoking, treating it like that so as to further discourage among people.

Slimy!

20. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    They're probably also cracking down on colonialist ideas--like taking over other planets/moons. :p

21. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    What's wrong with that? :p

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Daily Galaxy

James Cameron?s new movie Avatar depicts a gas giant with a habitable moon, Pandora, around it. Could there be real habitable planets orbiting among the three stars of the Alpha Centauri system? What are the odds that a "Pandora," really exists?

I thought this interesting but does this film take place in Alpha Centuri? The article does not directly say so.

23. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Pandora's gas giant is indeed located in the Alpha Centauri system. A Weaver-narrated featurette from last week confirmed it.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, The Guardian certainly wasn't particularly impressed with the movie.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/dec/11/avatar-james-cameron-film-review

25. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I think everyone should pee on the MPAA because the organization is bee ess.