main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph James Cameron's Avatar (The Way of Water + sequels)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Clonuscant, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    It's classic science fiction- showing to us not only the problems of the past but warning us how the same crimes can be repeated in future scenarios on new stages.

2. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    I thought it was good, I saw it in 3D, not sure how it looks in 2d, but 3d is best for this movie. Still this is not Cameron's best film, liked it better than Titanic, but The Abyss was still better. But then again, even an average James Cameron film is usually 10 times better than the crap that hollywood has out there now. And remember, Titanic didn't open huge, it was number 1 for almost 3 months straight. I have a feeling the legs for this movie will be great. But there was one thing: the general was way over the top and got annoying at the end.

3. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Oh somebody doesn't like it.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/449211/jarjar.png.jpg

[face_laugh]

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    My ONLY super complaint that I found in the entire movie is at the end, when Neytiri's holding Human!Jake and he puts his hand on her cheek, his hand is the same size as hers. Sorry, but they made it very clear how much larger the Na'Vi are compared to humans. That really irked me.

5. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I noticed something about the same shot, but it wasn't the hand size. Rather, I noticed Worthington's hand was CG. :p

6. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I noticed it was CG as well.. but the size is what bugged me. :p

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think the hands were the same size- they're just not as proportionally huge as you might think- the Na'vi are tall, but thin- they're not just humans enlarged in every dimension. They're somewhat larger, but stretched tall.

I don't the message is "capitalism is evil" but rather "unfettered greed is evil".

As far as the military goes, I don't think it necessarily paints them in a negative light- because the "military" here is described as what is essentially mercenaries or a private blackwater-like organization- everyone is there for the money, doesn't matter so much what they have to do (and if you look at how a lot of them look- they're obviously not regular military), and the regular military that is there seems to have been convinced by the Colonel to share his viewpoint.

The Colonel, is an SOB who can kill civvies while drinking coffee, but that's why he's the bad guy ;)

8. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I just saw it. I thought it was a magical movie. Nearly every scene had stunning visuals. I saw it in ordinary 2D. I thought the story was pretty good as well. It was something the audience could get invested in and something they cared about.

It might be more fun to take the movie as the characters are portrayed and not think about their real life equivalents.

9. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    I definitely give it an A. The storyline is certainly nothing special but the sheer scope of the entire production is just overwhelming. I have absolutely no idea where you would even begin to attempt an undertaking like this, much less actually pull it off.

The biggest disappointment for me was the score. Other than the relatively brief montage when they go around recruiting all of the other tribes for the final battle, there weren't any moments where the score and the visual spectacle really come together, like you had in Titanic with the "Take Her to Sea, Mr. Murdoch" and penultimate sinking sequences, or the way the subtle beats complemented the Pescadero escape in T2.

I didn't mind the overt environmentalism too much, but I don't know why Cameron felt the inclusion of the blatant "fight terror with terror" and "shock and awe" lines was worth the backlash they could bring to the film.

From a writing standpoint, the military seemed to move into the "all-out attack" phase a little too abruptly, but the movie was starting to drag at that point, so from a pacing standpoint it's not too bad.

I also didn't care too much for the subplot with Sigourney Weaver's death which also added to the pacing problems with the 2nd act. But obviously in the end it's essential to the storyline.

(The 3D seemed fuzzy for the first fifteen minutes or so and I was feeling a little naseous. At that point, I was fearing a huge disappointment, but eventually my eyes adjusted)

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I had a headache at times with the 3D...but that was because the glasses were squeezing my temples (I find out after the movie that my group was stuck wearing the yellow kids glasses because thy ran out of the Terminator-esque adult black ones that would have been much more comfortable to my considerable cranium. ;)

11. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I thought Zoe Saldana did a great job, and, while I don't know if it was Oscar worthy, it did get me to thinking how they would handle that, or might handle that in the future, as these sort of performances become more and more common. It is not strictly a voice-over, as they are pulling from the actresses movements and facial expressions to create what we see on screen(in increasingly better detail and rendering), so what if her performance was good enough for an award? What category would that be in?

12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Just came back for it. Saw it in 2d because it was earlier than the next 3d. Eventually plan to see it in IMAX. Very good. I love at the end when Enya sends everything at the "sky people". Also fun to throw in the old 'You don't screw with mother nature' theme:p

13. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I'd give it an average. It wasn't bad, but I dunno, it just didn't do anything for me.

Also, is it bad that I rooted for the marines at the end? :p It kinda reminded me of Halo's UNSC vs the Covenant. It just makes me want a Halo movie even more.

14. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Who knows. That's a question that's going to become increasingly relevant in the future as we see this "performance capture" technology become more and more mainstream. Maybe it'll be the birth of a new category...

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Saw it, and major MEH. Sure, it's a spectacle, the world created/the creatures, etc. were fantastic. The acting was good. But, it is nowhere near worth all the hype, the years of hearing about it. Story, story, story matters! Cameron took 10+ years to make a movie that is essentially Dances With Wolves, mixed in with parts Titanic and The Last of The Mohicans. Really? If this gets nominated for Best Picture, and wins, it will be a shame. Also, another story gripe:

-That element that the corporation wanted to mine/get from Pandora, what does it do? I would like to know, because it's never explained in the movie, and yet it's the whole damn reason why the Na'vi's are being threatened.

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions! :cool:

16. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    is that supposed to be htr? because you ****ing suck at it.

17. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    It's a room temperature superconductor, one of the holy grails of science.

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    There isn't a single movie made now that isn't taken from something else. That's a fact that everyone in Hollywood acknowledges, so complaining that "it's just like Dances With Wolves" is like saying "Star Wars is just like The Hidden Fortress." Cuz it is.

There's no story that hasn't been told anymore; what's changing is HOW you tell it.

19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Maybe, but I still think there was too much hype for it, despite the good stuff in the film.

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions! :cool:

20. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    A visually spectacular PG-13 epic Disney movie. That is what this film amounts to. Good fun and very pretty.

21. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Its nothing like Dances With Wolves, I can say this with absolute certainty having never seen Dances With Wolves.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  23. Scummy

Scummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I honestly think this is what it must have felt like to have seen the original premier of Star Wars. I can't offer much higher praise than that. I'm deeply impressed. That's not to say it's perfect, a small part of me rebelled at the biology/physics of the movie. But that's easily ignored. And the Colonel sort of got cartoonishly evil near the end. But still, I can get over that. I sort of justify it the way I justify Star Wars. One part sci-fi, one part shameless fantasy.

My biggest complaint is that I'm just not a fan of the "noble savage" idea, but that doesn't diminish from the quality of the film. All in all, superb movie. I also still stand by my earlier comments that the plot was kind of stupid at times. At least it's stupid reading about it, and thinking about it in retrospect, but it works when you're actually watching it. It just does.

Scummy

24. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Movie is A MASTERPIECE

NO LESS!!!

:D

25. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    There were a few comments thrown in about "the aliens going back to their dying world". "Not in this economy", which make me believe that Earth is not in a very good place right now.