main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph James Cameron's Avatar (The Way of Water + sequels)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Clonuscant, Jan 8, 2007.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So only a 2% dip from weekend one to weekend two is... staggeringly good, no?

I can't recall a single film in recent memory (whether summer or Thanksgiving or Christmas) that held that high...

2. matthew_merlin

matthew_merlin Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2009
    It's a nice spin on the conversion story we've seen in movies like Dances With Wolves.

Tagging off the last post, I think the two percent drop if phenomenal considering how much movies get chewed up and spit out the first thirty days.
    Is it testament to the quality of the movie? Perhaps. There's nothing really new about the story. The joke of it being Dances With Aliens was true.

At times I was distracted by the 3-D aspect which the movie really didn't need.

I do think that shooting full IMAX like this is FINALLY the solution to getting people back into the theater seats again.

The true strength of Avatar?

The concept. It's almost a literal translation of that quote from Fight Club.

"If You Wake Up At A Different Time, At A Different Place, Could You Be A Different Person?" - Tyler Durden

Matthew Merlin
    moviesmaketheman.com/blog

3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    The last mainstream film that did better than that on its second weekend was TITANIC. It actually increased. Still too early to see if this is another TITANIC (or TDK, for that matter), but if you ask me, the only reason AVATAR didn't increase this last second weekend like TITANIC was because a ton of people already went and saw it the first weekend (which was not the case for TITANIC).

4. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I saw it on x-mass eve day and it was awesome. I look forward to seeing at a IMAX screne.

I recycled my glasses. My roommate kept his.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I kept the 3D glasses too.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the biggest negative about this film is the new breed of furries it's sure to spawn.

7. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I lollllled.

I just got back! When people were saying it's Dances With Wolves in Space, I thought it was just a comparison, but not actually the factual truth. This movie is exactly Dances With Wolves in Space. But, it's GORGEOUS and the 3D is impressive, so I enjoyed it.

It's probably about 30-40 minutes too long, though.

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm posting this here just because of the 3D tech thing.

tech predictions

3D TV

It's set to be a bumper year for 3D television, with both Sky and Panasonic confirming that they will release 3D TVs, and Sky announcing that it is launching a dedicated 3D channel. The satellite broadcaster will even be filming the World Cup in 3D, although those games won't be broadcast live. But a question mark remains over whether consumers will be as willing to embrace this new technology as the manufacturers and content providers are. Although Sky's 3D channel will be available through a normal Sky HD box, viewers will need a new television to enjoy 3D pictures. The manufacturers have not yet confirmed how much their 3D sets will cost, but expect it the technology to be very expensive, at least initially. Early adopters with more money than sense and Premier League footballers are likely to be the only people able to join the 3D revolution in its first year. Then there's the small matter of those glasses; yes, you will need to wear special specs while watching TV, at least until the next generation of 3D televisions hit the market, which will have screens that do the 3D rendering automatically. While 2010 will be a big year for 3D, it's just the start of the story, and it's clear that the technology will need to overcome some significant hurdles before consumers are as excited by the prospect of 3D as the film studios and consumer electronics companies so clearly are.

Ah. 3D without glasses, eventually.

EDIT:

I was waiting for a basic summary so i dod not have to write it out. Transhumanism in Avatar

9. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Will it break Titanic though? In this age of DVD, will the studio let it go on and on until it breaks the record? Or will they pull it out and prepare marketing for the DVD?

Still, adjusted for inflation, 'Cleopatra' will forever remain the most expansive, no? I dare say Avatar wil not bankrupt its studio, heh. DVDs will ensure profit enough for a sequel...where they can copy Dune Messiah, perhaps?

*shrug*

10. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Serious spoiler, don't look if you haven't seen the movie, lol

Ummm, did you see the movie, the Navi essentially lost in the first wave, in fact almost all the air warriors were killed and the ground forces never even broke the marines lines and were in full retreat getting slaughtered. But then an overwhelming number of a secondary force of beasts and flying creatures attacked from the entire eco-system of Pandora, that was controlled by Pandora's Tree of Souls or Eywa. Essentially the Navi had lost up till then. The concept of overwhelming numbers has been used before, for example the final battle scene in The Matrix Revolutions

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Saw it in IMAX 3D today. I'm pretty much in the same boat as most people. The plot was predictable but the visuals were very impressive and it was just great entertainment overall.

12. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    I just saw it again. Loved it even more than the first time.

I think the plot is predictable, but doesn't draw away from the experience. I actually enjoy the story despite its predictability. It's a very fun movie to get into.

Ah man, so good. :D

13. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    this.

14. Ostrich_Stapler

Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master star 5

Jul 9, 2004
    I saw it in 3-D but I think something was wrong with my glasses. Everyone looked blue the whole time! I am never going to that theater again.

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    What a beautiful movie.

16. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Did anyone else notice Sam Worthington's accent slip in on several occasions?

otherwise OMG AMAZING!!1!

17. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I figured his accent was some kind of flattened Australian one. Maybe the regional accents are all in the process of flattening out into something more neutral.

18. GrinchComeHome

GrinchComeHome Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 21, 2003
    On the voiceovers in particular...noticed it also in Terminator. I guess that's something he hasn't quite perfected yet.

19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I did notice it in Terminator, but not here.

20. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    I think Worthington is terrific. I did notice the slip, though.

21. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    The visuals were really impressive, and that's the only good thing I have to say about the movie.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Har har

23. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Me too.

24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I enjoyed the movie, but I also have dubbed it Dances With Aliens. [face_mischief]

25. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    AICN ran an editorial about the science of Avatar from the perspective of hard sci fi. Not bad.

It looks to me like Avatar is going to do 1.5 billion worldwide, taking second place to Titanic on the all time list. It will probably take the record for best third and fourth weekends in U.S. box office. I wouldn't be surprised if it sells out IMAX venues for the next year.

James Cameron's Avatar Continues to Shatter IMAX Box Office Records