main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph James Cameron's Avatar (The Way of Water + sequels)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Clonuscant, Jan 8, 2007.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So we shall get something beyond Dances With Wolves in space? Good.

Ghost likes this.
  2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999

Darth Punk likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm not shocked a James Cameron movie was delayed at all.

Avatar vs. Episode VIII! Start your bets now!

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    A fifth film is possible.

James Horner: "He's got four sequels script-wise, and he's trying to make it into three. And I think that's where the effort is going right now […] how do you keep it from expanding into a fifth movie?"

5. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I support the idea of a $1.2 billion three film alien invasion saga with humans in the role of alien invaders.

Is that the idea?

BigAl6ft6 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The notion of retaliation from Earth has been hinted at as a possibility- but anything could happen.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'd be an even bigger fan of this a fraction of the $ he earns on these films goes toward protecting the Amazon reserves and their communities rather than more solo deep-sea dives.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They will be, actually. Part of Cameron's sequels deal required Fox make a sizeable donation towards Cameron's Avatar Foundation that will support environmental causes and indigenous rights. A portion of the Avatar sequel grosses will also go towards the foundation.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    He should have just donated it to existing foundations like Sting's These celebs have to go out and create their own foundations. Sting's rainforest foundation actually has or had a sizable tract of preserved rain forest at one time. I don't know if he transferred it to the Brazilian government or the indigenous people he had safeguarding it.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not familiar with Sting's but the Avatar one seems to have a broader scope than just rainforests.

Plus, unlike most celebs, Cameron is probably smart enough to do some things better than others have.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    My issue with the Avatar Foundation is that it's been very hush-hush so far.

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, Cameron is certainly a smart guy so hopefully he has a charity that actually donates money to the causes. Even Sting's Rainforest charity had some rough early years with lavish spending and just some terrible people at the top. But, it's been around since the late 80's.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    DHC claims another Cameron property.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    nifty, I know Cameron said there was an uber-novel prequel / movie adaptation he was working on with a co-writer but I haven't heard anything about it so some of the ideas will hopefully make their way into the comics. I think expanding the Pandora-verse could actually be really interesting because, like a lot of Cameron's work, you see shades of whatever could be a whole story on it's own sorta tossed around.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Cameron updates with confirmation of target release date and plan:

"Christmas of 2017 is the target. At least, that's what we've announced. But I don't consider that to be as important as the fact that when we get all three films done, we drop them a year apart. I call it a meta-narrative that runs across the three movies.

Each film stands alone, but it also tells one much larger story. We have design more or less finished, which is an enormous task. It's been about a two-year task. (We've finished) all the creatures and the landscapes, and the new worlds within the world of Pandora that you see.

The writing is ongoing, but almost finished. Technical development is done. Stages are done. Infrastructure. So we're really poised to start after the first of the year."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, it's a pattern. I'm pretty sure the delivery room Dr. looked up at Cameron's Mom and said "Mrs. Cameron, I regret to inform you that James has decided to push back his birth until next year.".

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    5 Cameron films over 6 years? Oh, hell to the ***damn fracking yes!

I mean, I'm shocked he's going this extensive with it but that doesn't matter (and certainly shows Cameron is willing to back up his comments about how the world of Avatar lets him do any movie he'd ever want to make).

20. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I'm anxiously awaiting his adaptation of either The Abyss or the little mermaid for the second film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The official FB page also updated with a new logo for the series:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the underwater effect in the A.

Barriss_Coffee and VadersLaMent like this.
  22. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I doubt many top-grossing films in history have been more left behind by subsequent movie industry developments than Avatar.

Avatar's the Norma Desmond of movie "franchises." That moment when it tries to step back into the limelight is going to be brutal.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Early 2019 headline prediction: "Three remaining Avatar sequels to be cancelled." :p

24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I figure if he has 4 movies in mind, then he has a quite complex story in mind that will go to interesting places.
    Long ago James hinted that there are other moons, and we have Sigourney Weaver and the Angry Sageant both returning despite being dead... Matrix-like plot twists.

I know there's the big Anti-Enviromentalism backlash against the series... people have this strange anger at the fate of nature and indigenous people being referenced... but I'm fine with it.

25. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I haven't been opposed to seeing Avatar sequels, but Cameron should have put his story for them together sooner, preferably within 4 or 5 years after the first came out. Now I feel like the audience's interest will have totally waned by 2018.