main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph James Cameron's Avatar (The Way of Water + sequels)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Clonuscant, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I think we are all missing the key question here....supposing we did find a planet like Pandora that had a blue feline-humanoid population (that could speak English, no less!) and we could neural network to the point where we could control one of these humanoid-human hybrid bodies to go down and explore the world.....

[image=http://static.reelmovienews.com/images/gallery/zoe-saldana-as-neytiri.jpg]
    Would you tap that?

Yeah. Like, be the first mother ****** to see a new galaxy, or find a new alien lifeform... and **** it. And people'd be like, "There he goes. Homeboy ****** a Martian once.

[image=http://bednarik.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/large-jay-and-silent-bob.jpg]

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Going strong with 92% on RT right now. That'll probably drop down to 91 when Armond's review goes up, though. :p

3. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I can't wait for Armond's review.

4. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  5. Vincent-Kenobi

Vincent-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 4, 2008
    Am I going crazy or did Armond call Michael Bay "gifted"?

6. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I was going to ask what was so fail about the review but then I got to the part where he started praising Michael Bay. :p

7. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Avatar got a Golden Globe nomination for Best Picture. This ain't the Oscars, but still...interesting.

Oh, and District 9 got a nom for Best Screenplay, but that's for a different thread. [face_alien_1]

8. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Oh, Armond White, you zany kook.

9. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    One of Jupiter's moons, Europa, is full of liquid water due to the heat caused by the stress of Jupiter's gravitational pull(supposedly). It's no Pandora, but there could be one in our very own solar system.

10. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Saturn's moon Enceladus possibly has a water ocean underneath its surface as well.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh I know all about. In fact with Europa one might not need to melt through miles of ice to an ocean beneath. There may be surface domes with water within welled up from below, sort of like a volcano in the making, and one only need melt through perhaps dozens or hundreds of feet.

But we had to go build a useless space station instead. :rolleyes:

Had Jupiter with its host of worlds been anywhere within the orbits of Venus, Earth, and Mars then you would have a solar system within a solar system.

Alpha Centuri, 4.3 light years away. Not gonna get there in that time, 30% of the pseed of light is about the maximum safe speed unless we can find a way to clear the way.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Jonathan Ross spoke highly of Avatar on his Film Review program.
    His only issues with it were not-so-good acting from Sam Worthington and dodgy scripting, but otherwise he was most impressed by it and strongly recommended viewers to watch it in 3D if possible.

13. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004

As much as I hate to say it...he has a point there.

14. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Isnt' he criticizing the removal of an indigenous population from their home for your own purposes?

Slimy!

15. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    What, did Mr. White's mother wean him on pickle juice or some ****?

Cause I don't get why anyone would be as completely asinine towards good movies.

I mean, he freakin preferred Transformers 2 over District 9. What the hell?

16. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    No he doesn't. You can want to joyride on the Mars Rover and NOT like NASA.

17. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Well there is some irony in James spending 237 Mil to promote a message against large corporations and consumerism. I'm still going to watch this film and I'm still going to like it, but seriously, these days, look around - on tv, in print, in the movies: evil businessmen and treacherous multinational corporations are the favorite whipping boy of the week. I'm surprised he didn't try to shoehorn private military contractors into his film.

18. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    I've seen 'Avatar' at an early screening last night (will only come out in Malaysia on Thursday). Ah, the advantages of knowing people who know people who know people who can get free tickets...

1st reaction: Whoa...well, the budget was well worth it I guess. BTW, blue Sigourney Weaver was strangely attractive, much more than the native blue gal.

2nd reaction: Well Sam, this is better than Terminator (it would have been more interesting if the character was older and played by Bale, but hey, he'd probably scream at James Cameron or something, heh) Bring on Clash of Titans! Good marketing BTW, the trailer was shown before 'Avatar'. Liam Neeson = truly a god!

3rd reaction: Wait...foreign hero goes among religous natives in a resource rich planet, becomes messianic leader and leads natives against eeeevil capitalists?

*calls Frank Herbert estate*

Reaction after seeing WETA's name in the end credits:

WETA??? NOT ILM??? WOW!!!

*goes looking for the old 'Peter Jackson pwns Lucas' thread in 'Community'*

Reaction after seeing James Horner's name in end credits:

Figures, part Troy (ye olde wailing vocals), part Braveheart/Wrath of Khan. Verily, one cannot teach an old dog new tricks.

Looking forward to 'Avatar: Messiah' followed by 'Children of Avatar'.

"Jakesully no longer needs the weirding module!"

:p

19. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Wait...foreign hero goes among religous natives in a resource rich planet, becomes messianic leader and leads natives against eeeevil capitalists?

...and instead of their eyes turning blue as on Arrakis, their whole bodies are blue.

[face_thinking]

20. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    I've seen 'Avatar' at an early screening last night (will only come out in Malaysia on Thursday). Ah, the advantages of knowing people who know people who know people who can get free tickets...

1st reaction: Whoa...well, the budget was well worth it I guess. BTW, blue Sigourney Weaver was strangely attractive, much more than the native blue gal.

2nd reaction: Well Sam, this is better than Terminator (it would have been more interesting if the character was older and played by Bale, but hey, he'd probably scream at James Cameron or something, heh) Bring on Clash of Titans! Good marketing BTW, the trailer was shown before 'Avatar'. Liam Neeson = truly a god!

3rd reaction: Wait...foreign hero goes among religous natives in a resource rich planet, becomes messianic leader and leads natives against eeeevil capitalists?

*calls Frank Herbert estate*

Reaction after seeing WETA's name in the end credits:

WETA??? NOT ILM??? WOW!!!

*goes looking for the old 'Peter Jackson pwns Lucas' thread in 'Community'*

Reaction after seeing James Horner's name in end credits:

Figures, part Troy (ye olde wailing vocals), part Braveheart/Wrath of Khan. Verily, one cannot teach an old dog new tricks.

Looking forward to 'Avatar: Messiah' followed by 'Children of Avatar'.

"Jakesully no longer needs the weirding module!"

:p

If I'm not mistaken, those soldiers were "private contractor" soldiers, they're not official, all under control of "teh eeeevil capitalist corporation".

EDIT: the words "pre-emptive strike" and "shock and awe" were actually used. Subtle!

Me, I'm more disgusted by white people having only two modes when it comes to non-whites: we are either "barbaric savages" or "wise, nature loving/philosophical barbaric savages". See 'Dances with Wolves', 'The Last Samurai' etc.

Oh well, at least it's the best 'Dune movie that wasn't a Dune movie' ever made, while we Herbert fans continue to wait for a decent adaptation (the latest seems to be in development hell).

21. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    YES!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hNzQj3I21E

22. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    [image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o179/madameblue/DuneCat.jpg]

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Why does everything negative about people have to be against Capitalism?

Surely Cameron is making a point about greedy selfish humans who care only about extracting resources to benefit themselves and care nothing for other species that get in their way.

Colonists from Europe wnet to many new World countires like Australia and America and killed the natives in order to take the land.
    Native tribes that live in rainforest today are constantly ousted when logging corporations chop stuff down.

That surely is what Cameron is trying to make a point about, it hardly matters whether the humans are Capitalist or Communist or whatever.

Humans have the "we can so we will" attitude, Cameron is simply highlighting that.

24. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks to a ****tard in the SFF Film and Television forum, I now know what happens at the end of the film. :) I guess I have no need to watch it anymore. :) Since I know the ending. :) :)

:) :) :) :) :)

25. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Why does everything negative about people have to be against Capitalism?

Ah, people who are against Capitalism so they make a half-billion dollar movie, marketed worldwide with Happy Meal tie-in and gazillion merchandise....

Nope, nothing wrong at all.

[face_liarliar]

Plus, as I said, not just misplaced anti-Capitalism but the whole "noble savage" ideology is becoming sickening in this day and age. Especially in light of Avatar's ending...

[face_sick]

I'm not gonna spoil anyone, just watch it, then come back and defend Cameron's ideology.

Also is it wrong for me to expect some subtlety? I mean, the villain might as well be named Bush or Cheney (then again, to suggest either one would fight on the frontlines is an insult to soldiers living or fallen) or the corporation named Haliburton or Blackwater. I'm surprised the attack wasn't named Operation Pandora Freedom.

On the plus side, it is a movie worth watching (if you can stand the slow middle act), if only for WETA's designs and visuals. Ah, I must return to the altar of PJ worship! Dammit, when are Tintin and The Hobbit coming out?

BTW, I'm still waiting for the Herbert estate's lawsuit. Then again, Lucas did nohing to Eragon...

[face_tired]