main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph James Cameron's Avatar (The Way of Water + sequels)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Clonuscant, Jan 8, 2007.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not sure the distance from the original will be to its detriment- they're basically launching these four films as a new series at this point, so 3, 4 & 5 will be carrying momentum off of 2 regardless (and 2 will still have "James Cameron genre action film" going for its marketing).

It also puts the anti-environmental backlash and Ferngully critiques pretty far behind the films. That gap also avoids Pandora feeling recent so a return there might be of more interest on the level alone (and it's not like the film won't happen stunning visuals anyways).

And that's not even considering the theme park factor yet.

Still, I don't think the 9 year gap is bad- Avatar isn't a film that requires the momentum of the original film to be in close proximity in order to be successful (it may not break records like the first, but it'll make solid bank regardless). And it's refreshing to have a film series not be forced to crank out a sequel in 2-3 years.

Afterall, as far as sequels go, there were 7 years between T1 & T2 or Alien & Aliens. 12 years between Titanic & Avatar as far as Cameron films go.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm sure Cameron will come up with some sort of inventive envelope pushing technological innovation (since he has done it in every movie since, well, The Abyss) that'll rack up the coin and visual pizzaz for Avatar 2.

Will that last all the way to Avatar 5? Erm... maybe not. But I think people will go gaga, and rightfully so, for whatever Cameron has up his sleeve for Avatar 2.

And I do also expect the numbering to drop and for it to go full subtitle instead. And I think Cameron is smart enough to make each movie thematically and stylistically different from each other. Terminator 2 is one of the best damn sequels ever for many reasons, one of which is it smartly flips around the first movie. Aliens is also a genius flip of Alien as well. The guy knows to bust out structural tricks in his sequels.

Anyway, as said often before, people have been predicting Cameron has been going to bomb every movie since, I dunno, True Lies or so and he refuses to tank so I kind of doubt he's gonna suddenly strike out now.

Chancellor_Ewok likes this.
  3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    BigAl6ft6, apparently that's the idea. All the movies will fit together into a coherent story, but they're all designed that a person watching Avatar 5 for the first time can understand what's going on without needing to have seen the previous four films, although that always helps in a long-running series, especially one as big and sprawling as the Avatar sequels are likely to be. As for Cameron flaming out, I couldn't agree more. People have been predicting that his next film is going to bomb and ruin him at least as far back as Titanic. His last two mainstream films, Titanic and Avatar made a combined four billion dollars, and that's on top of Titanic's 11 Oscars, which means that any studio he approaches with an idea is automatically going to yes and let him do pretty much whatever he wants.

EDIT: And apparently one of the tricks that he has up his sleeve is shooting the movies with HFR cameras. Given that Jim Cameron, is notorious for being a technical perfectionist, I don't find it hard to imagine that he's learned lessons from Peter Jackson's use of HFR techniques on The Hobbit, but at the same time I wasn't really a fan of that decision in regards to The Hobbit, as parts of AUJ looked like they were on fast forward and parts of TDOS either really low res or just really, really fake.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Total made up theory, Cameron realizes that the rights to Terminator will revert back to him by 2023 so he's making the 5th movie basically Avatar vs. Terminator.

Darth Basin and CT1138 like this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The HFR thing is the only thing about these movies that makes me hesitant about them. But if anyone can make it work, it's Cameron. Still, hopefully it won't inspire a trend of HFR catching on widely.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah, as I said, Cameron is notorious for being a perfectionist, so I don't think he'd shoot in HFR unless he could make it work and I don't find it that hard to imagine that he'll find a way to do something really creative with it, but at the same time, HFR probably should have been tried out on some smaller movies first, because it did make The Hobbit look really uneven in places, which I think it why it hasn't caught on.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I thought the Hobbit looked incredible with HFR, despite some up close shots where it made it look sped up. The Goblin chase was amazing in HFR.

I thought a number of jungle shots in Avatar looked great in 3d, I would not mind seeing it in HFR.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Even ignoring the "fake video" look HFR causes, HFR still suffers similar problems that motion smoothing TVs have- namely horizontal motion across the screen.

Whenever you had, say, an overhead shot of the Hobbit group rushing along a Goblin bridge left to right, you'd get that sped-up-video effect.

Much like how having someone walk left to right across the screen on a motion smoothing TV will often result in their stride getting a burst of fast motion as the framerate struggles to catchup to the audio (something, coincidentally, is a huge problem for Avatar on MSTVs- when Avatar EE came out on BD I had to watch my copy over a friend's house because I didn't have a BD player yet [but was getting one soon and didn't want to rebuy the movie] and his dad's TV had MS that I could t turn off and it was really horrible at times).

With all the motion within frame stuff like Avatar's critters will need, I can't see him preceding without solving that issue first.

9. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I'd watch it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'd like to see Predators go hunting on Pandora.

Darth Basin likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Cameron talks about shooting the sequels and the release date chsnges

On the shoot:
    It's a huge gamble, and one that 20th Century Fox is going to have to go all in for as the Oscar-winning director today confirmed to Famous Monsters of Filmland that all four films will be shot as one giant production, not back-to-back as previously rumored:

"It's not back-to-back. It's really all one big production. It's more the way you would shoot a miniseries. So we'll be shooting across all [Avatar scripts] simultaneously. So Monday I might be doing a scene from Movie Four, and Tuesday I'm doing a scene from Movie One. … We're working across, essentially, eight hours of story. It's going to be a big challenge to keep it all fixed in our minds, exactly where we are, across that story arc at any given point. It's going to be probably the most challenging thing I've ever done. I'm sure the actors will be challenged by that as well. It's like, 'No, no, no, no, this person hasn't died yet, so you're still in this phase of your life.' It's a saga. It's like doing all three Godfather films at the same time."

On Star Wars and the release dates:
    "Avatar 2" was originally targeting a December 2017 release, but with the change of plans Cameron knew he wouldn't make that date. That resulted in Rian Johnson's "Star Wars: Episode VIII" taking over the slot. After that point though, the "Star Wars" films switch to May releases - something Cameron is well aware off which is why his schedule was built around Lucasfilm's slate:

"My original plan was to release them a year apart, but we're opening that up. If for no other reason than that I don't want to land on the same date as one of the Star Wars sequels. That wouldn't be fair to them. [Laughs.] No, that's just good business. I don't want to go head-to-head with Star Wars. That would be stupid. And hopefully they won't want to go head to head with us."

Cameron is also adamant about plans to use more real-world references and photographic elements in the various CG creations on screen to try and make them as "texturally real" as if they were practical.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  12. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I think Fox might be a potentially over invested in this now that we know that they are filming this simultaneously. I don't doubt they'll be good films, however the second one isn't a garenteed success (at least not as mcuh as the first one). I guess they hope their worse case scenario is Transformers-like success.

13. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I rewatched it recently. The movie does have a very "animated" finish to it. If they can detail things up, with a high frame rate, that'll be interesting. I hope James produces an Oculus VR episode. That somehow seems like a logical progression.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't be surprised if they released some kind of bonus feature like that. Iron Man 2 & Avatar basically invented the VR pre-viz for mocap. It wouldn't be hard to see them taking that to a finished product.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    With four movies I'm wondering if Cameron will be able to keep each installment under the two and a half hour mark he hasn't been able to hit since .... erm, The Terminator? (Taking into account director's cuts here, pretty sure every movie past Terminator has been about two and half hours at least)

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    T1 & True Lies are the only sub-2.5 hour-long Cameron films when you factor in special editions- though even going by theatrical cuts he usually hits the 2:20 mark on average.

Given how extensive the deleted scenes were for the first film (16 min restored + about 45 min, I think, unfinished) and how they, with only a couple exceptions, revolved mostly around supporting character subplots, I think we can expect it to be in the usual Cameron ballpark, even if he's offhandedly estimating 2 hours per film in that interview comment.

17. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I think I'd be disappointed in a merely 2 hour movie.

4 movies isn't so shocking. Every good, and meh, franchise does it now. Trilogies aren't enough anymore. Blame it on Harry Potter.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    James Cameron finally gives a brief hint of the plot of Avatars 2-3

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/3a0cae82-391a-3450-876e-6eb2959f2e4a/ss_'avatar-2'-plot:.html

But... it's almost word-for-word how people describe Star Wars... generations and family issues, and nature versus humans.

Which is a big thing and all, and of course it can be done fantastically (hence these boards)... but the big problem with Avatar 1 was the simple and unoriginal way it handled its characters and plot.

Maybe this is being a little pessimistic. Maybe his plan will make it so we are more invested in the characters and plot and this is the way to do that. Maybe the characters/plot will also have a creative spin and take some risks. Maybe.

I think a more exciting path to take would be to build on Avatar 1's strength, and organically use its strength to improve its weakness. Its strength was setting/world-building. Be creative with that again, lead with that, and see what interesting characters can come organically from the setting/worldbuilding, and the interesting plots that could come organically from those characters. For example, the way they domesticate animals, can communicate with plants, and even store their memories and perhaps consciousness in those special trees (and now Grace may have basically done the equivalent of uploading her soul into the organic planetary supercomputer). I'm sure they could add to that foundational stuff and become even more creative.

But simply saying it will be about families and generations and trees versus humans? Yea, we'll see. There's already been a variety of those stories, and Avatar is trying to fit in with the best of them, but hasn't, and this just might highlight their weakness even more instead.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, keep in mind he's broadstroking four films with that statement. Perhaps it will be executed in a manner in which you suggest- that's certainly a possibility.

The generational/family thing makes sense though- don't forget it takes a long time to travel between worlds (almost 6 years one-way) so each round trip incursion by Earth on Pandora (or vice versa) would begin to add up towards becoming generational problems eventually.

Ghost likes this.
  20. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Wait, people think Avatar was good enough to warrant sequels? Yeah, no. No thanks. NOPE.

CT-867-5309 and seventhbeacon like this.
  21. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Oh. You're one of them.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i feel like if we had gotten a sequel, like, four years ago, i might have been on board but at this point im like "wtf that old movie? isnt it due for a reboot at this point?"

Talos156 and Ghost like this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    With the approaching decade long gap in between part 1 & 2, I'm wagering JakeSully has set up a whole family by now and then stuff happens. T2 and Aliens are, at their core, kind of movies about family. Basically, Cameron does two types of movies, once you strip away the scope, that have a similar character base: two lovers from worlds apart (Terminator, Abyss, Titanic, Avatar) or family dramas (Aliens, True Lies, T2).

Speaking of Avatar, I saw that "Avatar: Toruk: First Flight" Cirque de Solei show a few months ago and I really dug it. No humans in it and, aside from the narrator the dialogue from the performers is all in Na'vi which is kind of wild, but it's a pretty nifty visual marvel as they literally have the giant flying beast and the spirit floating tree, etc. Pretty fun. In this interview (where the above quotes are sourced from) he talks about the show, saying "But thematically, ‘Toruk’ manages to land very very closely to the feeling of where the sequel stories are going.” And the story of Toruk is less of the stranger in a strange land that Avatar was and more about hunters going on a hero's journey and fighting an insurmountable odds against the wild to save the day and becoming their own person out of it.

vin likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm thinking the decade-long gap between 1 & 2 won't matter ultimately. Yeah, A2 won't perform as well as A1 did, but these movies are being made and coming out close together regardless, so A2 will be effectively be the new first film in the series. A4 & A5 will be building off of whatever A2 & A3 achieve much more than what A1 achieved.

25. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    There really is no need to only jump 10 years into the future. They can go 20 years since Sully will be CG.

Darth Basin and BigAl6ft6 like this.