main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph James Cameron's Avatar (The Way of Water + sequels)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Clonuscant, Jan 8, 2007.

1. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I know my record is clear on how much I think the prequels suck, but at least Lucas was trying. There's an authenticity to those films and a personal investment in them that's very clear, no matter what one might think of the execution of the films. Avatar, on the other hand, had 1-dimensional characters and talked down to its audience, dumbing the plot down so much that I was offended as a movie-goer. Absolute tripe, but hey, "it's pretty in 3d" was the entire point of the film, with its very much aging hippie message and its need to show the military in an entirely negative light as if we'd regressed in culture back to the 1700s. Give me the prequels any day over this franchise.

Darth Basin, Ulicus , TX-20 and 3 others like this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That wouldn't make sense. He landed the plane on the river about five years ago. You can't have the passengers on there for 25 years.

TX-20 likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    To be fair, "the military" was mercenaries/private contractors, many of whom were (mis)led by the villain.

4. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015

True, but as he was the face of their group, and he was easily the worst one-note character in the film, it brought the whole thing down in my eyes. But, without it, we'd never have gotten the South Park parody, "Dances With Smurfs," so... I guess there's that!

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think Quaritch was one-note. A racist prone to violence who felt the means justified the ends (or, at least, his own ends) and probably held a personal grudge against Pandora itself, sure, but he seemed to genuinely care for and respect those under his command (at least the soldiers- he clearly disliked the scientists). He also seemed capable of being reasoned with (as is shown a couple times in the film), but only to a point.

The film probably would have been better had another soldier character been included to better convey that angle in contrast to Quaritch's manipulations. But, then, that would have added more to the runtime and they had already cut out most of the good subplots and supporting character moments to get it down to 3 hours as it is.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    sam worthington must be hoping like hell cameron gets around to doing them because his career has gone down the toilet

7. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I have no clue what you're talking about.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think he is talking about the Sully Salsbury Steak guy from New York.

9. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    that is not nearly enough sequels. i mean underworld has 25 sequels for ****'* sake. jim camron how can you be this damned lazy. i am so disappointed in you.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, once these announced Avatar films are out, there will be an equal number of Avatar & Underworld films (as it stands now, at least- more Underworld films after Blood Wars comes out is a possibility).

However, there will still be more Resident Evil films. ;)

seventhbeacon likes this.
  11. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Well, I'm sorry I didn't like one of James Cameron's most overhyped and overrated films since Titanic.

Ghost and seventhbeacon like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Pandora under construction: complete with film-accurate deforestation! ;)

[​IMG]

13. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    My dark opening for Avatar 2 has Pandora largley deforested andTerraformed with human air. The Na'vi reduced to desperate living on the edge of human society, destitute and mocked. Humans might have setbacks, but where there's serious money, we will always come back and win out...

And then that's a low point to dig up from to and annoy the hell out of the "I don't like messages in my movies" crowd.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    When is Cameron going to get underway on these? Does he have a shooting date?

15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am all for films with messages, just not messages that beat one upside the head with a Na'vi carbon fiber bow like they are blunt instrument, i.e. the nature vs. technology argument.

16. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I like the nature versus tech narratives usually but Avatar was a bit too sappy and just full of stock villains and heroes. Looked tremendous though in 3D in the theater.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Mid/late April was the last we heard- but that might have been for the previous release date.

18. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    I'm actually surpised that Cameron is interested in investing so much of his time on sequels rather than new projects. The quality is bound to go down from the original Avatar, and the original was overrated to begin with.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    while I agree it's weird that Cameron is doing so much Avatar, I'm still stoked for 4 James Cameron movies in 6 years. He (basically) put out 3 movies in the 1990s (basically) just 1 movie in '00s so that's adding up to that output inside of a single run.

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I will always respect Avatar for being visually stunning and doing a lot to advance filmmaking technology.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Scripts are done, motion capture production to shoot in August.

“The thing is, my focus isn’t on Avatar 2. My focus is on Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 equally. That’s exactly how I’m approaching it. They’ve all been developed equally.

I’ve just finished the script to Avatar 5. I’m now starting the process of active prep. I’ll be working with the actors in the capture volume in August, so I’m booked in production every day between now and then.

Our volume is up and running, and everything is designed, and so we’re going full-guns right now. I feel like I’ve been let out of jail, because I’ve been in the writing cave for the last two years. I’m actually enjoying life. I don’t enjoy writing. I wouldn’t wish writing on a dog.”

BigAl6ft6 and VadersLaMent like this.
  22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Cameron hates writing. George Lucas said he also hates writing. Michael Crichton said he hated writing.

23. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    hmmmm not sure what the plot would be for this, I need to rewatch the first movie but James Cameron is amazing.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, at some point the Earth will invade with a more direct "let's destroy" attitude. I think much of this next film will be about getting Pandora united and developing technology. I assume there will be a space battle, I just wonder how hard sci-fi Cameron will keep it.

25. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I remember him talking about how the first movie only touched on a small part of the planet. There is some other unique civilization underwater or something. Mesa thinking they're in big doodoo.

BigAl6ft6 and Ghost like this.