main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph James Cameron's Avatar (The Way of Water + sequels)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Clonuscant, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Oh but now the blue aliens are going to "avatar" into deep sea creatures to explore the ocean and fight the submarines of the evil humans!
    And then the evil humans are going to raise an army of blue alien avatars!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Jake Sully's Underwater Avatar is a shark and falls in love with another shark and starts a shark family. Neytri is cool with it. The whole series becomes a metaphor for James Cameron's multiple marriages and divorces

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While his body may not be a literal avatar, the bio-engineered body he inhabits is called an avatar still.

But then the title doesn't have to refer to Jake anymore, as we know various characters are returning and presumably they, or other characters, will have access to avatar technology.

4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Do the Na'vi know if someone is an Avatar (aside from them flopping around like clueless idiots, that is). Because I get the feeling with 4 movies to come, one of 'em will probably throw a "Ack! That so-and-so Na'vi has been a human Avatar the entire time!" (Bonus points if it turns out to be Jake's girlfriend)

Ghost likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think they do- don't they have a different number of fingers, for instance?

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Stephan Lang raises an army of red people called Eviltars.

TX-20 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You're thinking of Alabamans.

8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Now that you bring this up, why aren't the Na'vi a hell of a lot more insulted when they see humans using these bioengineered clones to interact with them?

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think that is an aspect, Jake had to deal with basically everyone hating him, Nateryi came around quicker but there was a group of them who just hated him until he tamed the big bird, which was kind of a thing since it only happened once a generation.

10. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Na'vi have 4 digits on their hands, Avatars have all 5. Na'vi have larger eyes than Avatars. And Na'vi have a more lithe frame.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    I can't decide if I am looking forward to this or not. I will admit I enjoyed watching Avatar when it came out all those years ago, the 3D was impressive, especially on the big screen. I suppose if the story is good enough, I could go for a sequel. Maybe this should be in the "Unpopular Opinion" thread [face_laugh]

DaddlerTheDalek and Resic like this.
  14. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I'm wondering what the Avatar sequels are about. I can't see how the Na'vi, or Eywa, whatever, can keep the vastly more technologically advanced mankind off their back in the long run. Hell, given that the ships travelling from Earth to Pandora take about 5 years in transit, spaced IIRC 6 months apart, anywhere from eight to ten of them are already in interstellar coast as of the end of the first movie. What's going to happen when they get there?

I wonder if the sequels will also visit other places... Earth, as well as other human colonies in the Sol system and in other nearby systems. Barnard's star, Wolf 359, Lalande 21185, Sirius, such like places.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, it's obvious some sort of battle is waiting to happen. If the god of Pandora is of such vast brain power then they might attempt a rather powerful technological leap.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think the fact that Pandora itself is alive and apparently sentient may come into play. There's four movies, can't all be just "Dahh! Humans! Fight them off!" Besides, Cameron made two sequels, two of the best ever mind you, which do an interesting flip / reversal on the original so I'm expecting something here.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And the apparent focus on family and such will account for the downtime between trips so there'll likely be a "how the next generation perceives/deals with history/the past" aspect to the story eventually.

18. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I feel the same way. [face_laugh]

19. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Lang is the villain for all 5 films, minor villain also returning from the dead.

Late yesterday came the news that actor Matt Gerald would be reprising his role of Corporal Lyle Wainfleet in the upcoming sequels to James Cameron’s “Avatar”.​

It was a surprise considering the character died at the end of the first film, however he marks at least the third seemingly dead character returning for these follow-up efforts.​

For example, we already knew the first film’s primary villain, Stephen Lang’s Colonel Miles Quaritch, will return. Today, Cameron has revealed to Empire that Quaritch will serve as the main villain across all four of the sequels as well:​

“The interesting conceit of the ‘Avatar’ sequels is it’s pretty much the same characters. There are new characters and a lot of new settings and creatures, so I’m taking characters you know and putting them in unfamiliar places and moving them on this greater journey.

But it’s not a whole bunch of new characters every time. There’s not a new villain every time, which is interesting. Same guy. Same mother****er through all four movies. He is so good and he just gets better. I know Stephen Lang is gonna knock this out of the park.”

Gerald's character was one of the soldiers under Quaritch, though even I didn;t recgnize him by name:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I've Lost interest in the sequels.

Ghost likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well if they can grow avatars I'm pretty sure cloning humans is a snap. The military / industrial complex probably owns all of their DNA rights.

24. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    this is so dumb

Ghost likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Cameron doing virtual location scouting (really shooting) currently.

“Oh, we’re in production. We’re in full-tilt production. We’re in what we call ‘scouting,’ which basically is shooting for me. I’m on the stage all day long during the scouting process, because there are no sets or locations, other than in the virtual world, so I do all my location-scouting with a troop of actors that go through the virtual sets, and give me a sense of the scale and position, lighting, that sort of thing. Then, I’m in rehearsals with my principal cast and I start with them at the end of September.

“I’ve hired the best artists and technicians in the world to design these films. There will be such a richness of imagery that I think people just won’t be able to imagine it in advance, but it will just seem right when they finally see it.
    It’s a little bit daunting, but it’s very exciting too. I sort of made a decision for myself that everything I need to say artistically as a filmmaker, I’m going to say across those four films, and I wrote them accordingly.

VadersLaMent likes this.