main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph James Cameron's Avatar (The Way of Water + sequels)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Clonuscant, Jan 8, 2007.

1. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

I'm not even going to comment on that last post.

Anybody have any comments on Avatar?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm looking forward to it with great expectations. No other filmmaker has a greater track record (Pirahna II doesn't count), IMO, and he's easily as inspirational to me as Spielberg.

And, by time Avatar actually comes out, this little Discovery Channel stunt will have been forgotten, though I'm sure a few "King of the World"-esque jabs will be pointed his way.

It's also kinda funny- I remember reading a draft of the Avatar script that went up online 10 years ago, it's sorta weird to think it's finally gonna be made after all this time.

3. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    I love Cameron's films;but think he has made a fool of himself over the Tomb of Jesus controversy.

4. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

I firmly believe that making a fool out of yourself in public is a big part of what show business is all about! Why should he be any different? :D

5. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  6. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    In my opinion there have been many, many films released since Titanic that make Titanic look like a "picnic." Hell, Jurassic park had better special effects.

In fact, I recently rewatched Titanic. The dialogue is worse than TPM.

7. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    SHUT UP JESSE

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    "At long last, real information is starting to leak from James Cameron?s fortress of non-spoilertude.

So we thought we?d collect all of Cameron's new quotes and explain why they make us more excited than ever...

1. Avatar Is Inspired By All Sorts Of Stories

?My inspiration is every single science fiction book I read as a kid. And a few that weren't science fiction.

?The Edgar Rice Burroughs books, H. Rider Haggard ? the manly, jungle adventure writers. I wanted to do an old-fashioned jungle adventure, just set it on another planet, and play by those rules.?

Why This Makes Us Even More Excited

James Cameron's returning to the books he grew up with. The last time he raided his library, Terminator happened."

9. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    There is so much hype for this. Im interested to see if it live up to it

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    "2. Avatar Has Loads Of Aliens

?Pandora is Earth like, it has lush rainforests filled with incredible life forms like a 1,000 foot tall trees, a myriad of creatures, some of which are quite beautiful, some of which are quite terrifying.?

We've been waiting all this time for a glimpse at the Na'vi - we didn't know there was a myriad of creatures to get worked up about."

11. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    John posted:

I firmly believe that making a fool out of yourself in public is a big part of what show business is all about! Why should he be any different?

Yes but he is a director, not a comedian.

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    2. Avatar Has Loads Of Aliens

?Pandora is Earth like, it has lush rainforests filled with incredible life forms like a 1,000 foot tall trees, a myriad of creatures, some of which are quite beautiful, some of which are quite terrifying.?

We've been waiting all this time for a glimpse at the Na'vi - we didn't know there was a myriad of creatures to get worked up about."

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

He sure didn't when he was younger-The Terminator and Aliens were practically back to back, I think. At least, their release dates are about two years apart, with The Abyss not long after that.

Plus he's responsible for the Predator looking badass:

James Cameron to Stan Winston: "I've always wanted to see something with mandibles."

14. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    James Cameron's returning to the books he grew up with. The last time he raided his library, Terminator happened.

As did Harlan Ellison's well-grounded lawsuit.

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    3. It?s An Eco-Aware Tale, With A Cameron Twist

?Pandora?s natives, the Na?vi, live in a state that we would consider primitive ?bows and arrows, that sort of thing ? but who ultimately prove to be much wiser than we are.

They?re 10 feet tall, blue skin, striped like tigers and quite fierce looking. They normally live harmoniously in their forest environment, but can be ferocious when provoked.?

This quote does make Avatar sound a bit like the third act of Return Of The Jedi, but we like Return Of The Jedi - Ewoks and all."

16. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Yeah but Ellison is a douchebag.

**** him.

17. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    :oops: I was JOKING.

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    4. It's Not A Matrix Rip-Off

?Humans can?t breathe the air on Pandora, so it was decided to create a human/Na?vi hybrid via genetic engineering, called the Avatars.

They?re living, breathing bodies in a real world, not synthetic alter egos- this is not a Matrix style story. They?re controlled by a human driver, who projects their consciousness onto the Avatar body.?

We're glad Cameron's pointed out that this isn't a Matrix style story - the similarities to that franchise was one of our only worries when we heard the original pitch."

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    "5. Sam Worthington Will Show Some Range

?Our main character, Jake Sully, a marine who is wounded in combat, paralysed and goes to Pandora.

In his Avatar body, he can walk, he can run, he can live again. He finds himself caught between the military/industrial complex on Earth and the Na?vi.?

We knew most of this already - but something about the way Cameron describes it - 'he can walk, he can run, he can live again' - makes it sound really joyous; we can't wait to see a giddy Worthington."

This guy is showing up everywhere suddenly.

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    6. It Was A Great Challenge For The Leading Man

?Sam is able to create a character that allows you to walk in his shoes.

?He?s so good at communication his emotions without appearing to do anything. It was a very challenging film for him, because he plays part of it as his human self, and part of it through his Avatar ? a fleshy character, but played entirely through performance capture.

It's really starting to sink in now - Cameron is creating genuine CGI performances here. Remember, Worthington became a massively hped star off the work he does in Avatar - scoring Terminator and Titans off the back of it. Could this be the first Oscar-worthy CGI performance?"

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    7. Zoe Saldana?s Female Lead Is A Cameron Speciality

?Jake falls for a Na?vi girl called Neytiri, and she?s a smokin? hot action character and someone you don?t want to mess with.?

This is the man who brought us Sarah Connor and turned Ellen Ripley into an action hero. If he says she's smokin' hot, she's smokin' hot."

22. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Erm, Ellen Ripley already was an action hero before Cameron was even asked to do a sequel. :rolleyes:

23. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    Yeah but Ellison is a douchebag.

**** him.

Soontir, not even YOU have the guts to go up and say that to his face.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you'd do that to Tom Cruise, George Bush, Helen Keller and The Pope -- on the same day no less. But this is the same man who attacked an executive. At a board meeting. Jumped on the table and leapt at him no less.

Sure, he's old now. But the man's got guts.

24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah Ellison is liked a man possessed at times.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    On Monday, 20th Century Fox will launch an unusual offer on the website for its Cameron-directed film "Avatar": free tickets for an early look at 16 minutes of footage from the futuristic thriller that will be shown in more than 100 Imax 3-D theaters around the world.

With two screenings on Friday, Aug. 21 (at 6 and 6:30 p.m.), the "Avatar" preview will include an introduction from Cameron and some new footage not shown during July's Comic-Con International convention in San Diego.

In what?s sure to be a mad grab among sci-fi fans, tickets will be given away a first-come, first-served basis on the ?Avatar? website (www.avatarmovie.com) at noon PST Monday.