main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 8, 2007.

1. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Quest, what I said was speculation, based on having seen two trailers. I've been avoiding spoilers about the movie myself, but the two probable endings were fairly obvious.

2. yodas_waiter

yodas_waiter Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2006
    I went to a press showing today and what I saw was frankly amazing. James Cameron has created an incredibly beautiful movie and the Na'Vi look amazing. The story is ok and so is acting but what sticks with you is the visuals. The 3D makes the movie an incredibly immersive experiance and if you've got a chance, that is the format to see it in.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sorry, your right. the spoiler just made me a bit too jumpy and reactionary is all.

4. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Sorry, my bad.

As the film has been officially released, I didn't think it would be classed as a spoiler anymore. Apologies to everyone once again.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The movie doesn't come out until friday in the US, at the very least. I am catching a midnight though.

But I guess I didn't realize it came out earlier elsewhere- I assumed any discussion this morning would be about the GG noms. Had I known, i would have been more cautious. Still, it's frustrating- waiting 12 years after having read only the beginning of the scriptment to avoid total spoilerage and all. Alas, tis my fate...

6. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I really want to strangle a kitten.

7. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    The wife and I are catching this one tomorrow night (along with another pair of friends) at the Navy Pier IMAX. Apparently, all of the Chicago IMAX screenings have been sold out for the last three weeks, now.

Also, Defamer folded its "Avatar Sucks" campaign that it's been running for months, finally conceding that Avatar Didn't Suck:

http://defamer.gawker.com/5427160/an-apology-avatar-amazingly-does-not-suck

8. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

I just got back from an IMAX 3D showing. I was prepared to be disappointed.

This film DOES NOT disappoint. Visually, it's the most spectacular film ever made. Bar none. Go home. Don't even both trying to justify any other movie in history as being in the same league as Avatar. When Revenge of the Sith came out, it was the best. When Star Trek came out, in my opinion, it was the best. Avatar blows them out of the water. The plot is perfectly serviceable, the acting good enough - especially Zoe Saldana and Sigourney Weaver.

Odd thing I noticed: Anton Yelchin is in Star Trek and Terminator: Salvation. Sam Worthington is in Terminator: Salvation and Avatar. Zoe Saldana is in Star Trek and Avatar. Probably just because it's 3:16am here, but I find this fascinating.

9. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    3:16

For God so loved the world, he gave it ... Avatar??? ;)

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Got back from the midnight at a 3D IMAX-D screen, and off to catch a morning show in full IMAX at Lincoln Square now.

Needless to say, this film is incredible- the visuals unbelievable. That feeling of wonder you had in Jurassic Park when they fly to the island, see the Brachiosaurus and the "welcome to jurassic park" herd vista? Avatar is that times a hundred for 2 hours with 40 other minutes of badass action.

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    This film was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. If the acting sucked, I really didn't care/notice because it was just so damn beautiful.

12. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

I tend to be somewhat jaded about special effects and CGI. I'll look at a scene, and because I know intellectually that it's CGI I find it hard to maintain suspension of disbelief. Looking back at Avatar, I think that my ability to keep disbelieving faded around the first hour or so. There's a scene at the end in a trailer where in retrospect, there was nothing that I disbelieved. It looked and felt real enough, the CGI elements had enough weight and solidity to them that there was no room for disbelief. This morning I'm shaking my head in something like awe over that accomplishment.

The plot has grown on me too.

13. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    What do you think now, in hindsight, of my accidental spoiler. I actually don't think it was that big, considering it was actually foreshadowed in the movie itself.

14. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Has anyone seen this film in 2D? If so, is it still visually impressive? The CGI in the trailers looked fairly second rate to be honest.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You know, it wasn't as bad as it seemed, since it's not the direct result of any tension, character act or sequence. My apologies. :)

16. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking at James Cameron's script for it...Parker Selfridge, the obnoxious corporate yuppie, originally had the first name of Carter. Sound familiar, anyone?

(if it isn't, that's the name of the obnoxious corporate yuppie from Aliens:p )

17. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Saw the 2D version this afternoon and it's James Cameron's worst film by a mile. Definitely four stars for ambition and spots of execution, but the most important aspect, character and story, one and half star at maximum. It's just a lazy, unoriginal, cliched to the max story we've all seen. No amount of digital makeup can change that. Once you get past the look of this thing, it's hollow as hell...not to mention corny.

I find it interesting that Cameron spends well over 400 million dollars on this project and yet, the visual effects are only a slight step up from what Lucas did with Episode III on a 115 million dollar budget...and with less time too...4 years ago!

It is gorgeous but in a Pixar animated film sort of way. Cameron is very, very careful about how he implores the visual effects. When it's live action, it's 85% live action and 15% visual effects. On the flip side, it's 100% visual effects for the big chunk of the middle of the film. Of course, it is seamless and gorgeous in those sections but photorealistic, this film doesn't quite achieve(and I don't think that was the objective in the first place. It is Weta after all). Hardly does Cameron do a complete balance of the two and when he does, the seams show.

Overall, not the game changer. Not revolutionary or evolution. It's just another sci-fi film. And, some reviewers say this film is better than the original Star Wars film. It's not even better than the Special Edition of Episode IV.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I disagree- the CGI character work was amazing and 90% seamless for the whole movie; you're tricked into believing that, somehow, they got actors in impossible makeup and prosthetics to play these aliens.

A few of the beasties were overt CGI but the Na'vi and a few specific creatures came across almost flawlessly, which surprised me- I'm very critical of CGI work generally (the teddy bear in A.I. being one of the few flawless CGI characters [for all but one shot] I can cite from memory).

19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Agreed, T2Q. There was not one single moment I was taken out of the film by the Uncanny Valley. That alone is one of the film's tremendous accomplishments.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The only time the CGi seemed slightly noticeable were in some closeups of the Na'vi feet (I'm thinking when Jake goes for a run at the start) and their eyes looked a bit off in a couple shots, but avoided the dead-eye most CGI has. But I can't tell if it's so much the CGI as it is the odd skin tone and texture of the Na'vi.

And really- with all the FX houses that seemingly worked on this, it's not surprising that a couple shots ended up looking slightly lesser than others.

That really was one of the more impressive things too- the HUGE freaking wall of text that represented the end credits. Only a James Cameron movie would make people go "holy ****!" at the end credits. [face_laugh]

21. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Ditto Jumpman.

22. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Saw this tonight. Overall I thought the plot was really generic and forgettable but at least it was pretty to look at. The few action scenes were decent and kept me from getting too bored. Wish Cameron had actually taken time to develop the human characters a bit more. Outside of the small group of scientists Jake was with they only gave the General any real characterization. IMO it wouldn't surprise me if most audiences forget Avatar in a few months after all the hype surrounding it has gone away. When the standard def DVD comes out I hope they don't cheat us out of a ton extras just to sell a few more Blu Ray copies since that's my favorite part of DVDs and I haven't been convinced to upgrade just yet.

23. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Viewers taking this submission from the writerly perspective might consider this article.

24. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    So is this film actually worth a crap considering I don't give a hoot about what it looks like and will be seeing it in 2D? Is it all style and no substance?

25. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I just watched this film on a regular cinema screen in 2D and I loved it! I would go again for style alone.