main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

James Horner discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by IAmTheDarkSide, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wookie Pnub

Wookie Pnub Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2000
    Y'know, I'm one of those people who don't care if Horner rips himself off, as long as he turns out a good score.

Call me shallow...I dunno.

Horner faves: (with no apologies for taste...)

STII & III
    Aliens
    Brainstorm
    Willow
    The Rocketeer
    Sneakers
    Titanic
    Mighty Joe Young
    Bicentennial Man

2. Imrahil2001

Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2002
    Yeah, I forgot that Rocketeer was by him. That's a fun score.

And yeah, I don't mind Horner. I have a bunch of his stuff. I just want people to realize that he's not, in fact, a genius on par with Williams:)

Ims

3. RikDuel_of_the_fates

RikDuel_of_the_fates Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2002
    First off- I liked track 3: Stealing the Enterprise on the ST 3 soundtrack.
    #2-I actually wrote a paper on his self plagerism, and if anyone wants to read something along similar lines (Yet written by somebody else and vastly superior) There's this article on Film Score Monthly.com that really puts it into perspective
    #3-I laughed when Grazier said "most original score" when referring to Beatiful Mind. I didn't laugh when Julia Roberts accidentally miffed Bill Conti's name and said Tom Conti (I dunno if she was trying to be cute or if it was an honest mistake, either way it was a bit cringeworthy)
    #4- I believe along with Mr. Burns that cheating is a gift man gives himself. Cheating the listner, however...
    I am off the soapbox. Rant over.
    M.

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah, I forgot that Rocketeer was by him. That's a fun score.

And yeah, I don't mind Horner. I have a bunch of his stuff. I just want people to realize that he's not, in fact, a genius on par with Williams:)

I would agree as well. I love some of Horner's scores. I own five or six of em. Yes he is a great score composer. No he is not Williams. I think Williams is in a category all his own, at this point.

Just because a rock band ain't the Beatles don't mean they're no good. ;)

5. Wookie Pnub

May 24, 2000
    I don't think any composer deserves the 'genius' tag...unless Einstein was into making music on the side.

I agree that Horner isn't on Williams level, but as far as modern film scoring goes, few are. I don't think Williams is above criticism...he's just less likely to deserve it than some others. ;)

6. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    These are all or mostly estimates, but here's some IQs. Keep in mind that genius level is 145 and up:

Napoleon: 145
    Lincoln: 150
    Ben Franklin: 160
    Beethoven: 165
    Mozart: 165
    Darwin: 165
    Handel: 170
    Kant: 175
    Descartes: 180
    Galileo: 185
    Bobby Fischer: 187
    Pascal: 195
    von Goethe: 210

7. Wookie Pnub

May 24, 2000
    Meh...I consistantly score in the 'genius' range on IQ tests, and I certainly don't consider myself one.

Anyway, if it helps, I'm sure Horner is dumber than Williams. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.