James Horner

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by no-celebration, Nov 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What is good is good, but what isn't is horrid.

Personally, I hated Braveheart the Movie, and wasn't too thrilled with the soundtrack at all, mainly because I have better scottish atmospheric music from other sources.

ST2&3 really defined what ST music should have been, which is part of why the rest of the series fell apart for me. Krull had a few good pieces.
    Devil's Own was good

Jerry Goldsmith, on the otherhand, has done great work on good movies, and good work on horrid movies. Lionheart is a long-standing personal favorite.
    Small Soldiers, Patton, Explorers, Wind and the Lion, Gremlins, and Year of the Gun are all good.
    But not even he could save the nightmare that was Disney's Mulan, but I give him credit for trying.

I also find it unfortunate that ST:TNG overused JG's music, because I used to like it, and now can't stand it.
  2. Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't forget his score for Devil's Own--much better than Braveheart.
  3. Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master

star 4
    Launch from Apollo 13 and For the Love of a Princess from Braveheart solidify Horner in my top 10 composers list.

And like that...he's gone.
  4. bILLYgOAT Jedi Padawan

STII & Apollo 13 are good
  5. deweye77 Jedi Padawan

Hey,

Well I like some of his work. Depending on who he works with. I really liked his work with Sissel on Titanic. She has a beautiful voice so it made it easy to listen to. As a matter of fact, I am working on Sissel at Universal, as we speak, and she is coming out with a new album, "My Heart", March 2nd. I defenatly agree on what one of the replies said. He did suck on Sneakers!!!

Oh yeah, if you want to check out Sissel's work log on
    www.ufanz.com/teams/sissel
    http://www.classics.umusic.com/sissel/media/64_sissel_someone.asx
    Tell me what you think.
  6. WesUAH81 Jedi Padawan

Howdy, occasional lurker here...

Just wondering if anyone else here has noticed that what I guess is the 'Aliens cause havoc' theme from Aliens is also the Klingon theme from Star Trek III?

7. Dani1138 Force Ghost

star 3
    Heh, that's just the beginning. Compare the moment when Kirk steals the Enterprise to the scene where Bishop takes the dropship into the atmosphere station. Quite a resemblance. :)
  8. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
    "The guy wholesale rips himself off and passes it off as "original music", which is a real shame, because some of his past scores have been nothing short of magnificent. I just wish the right project would come along and wake him up."

you mean the right director
    James Horner had Nicohlas Mayer to direct ST 2 and he was very particular (NM) ( See ST2 SE DVD)
    His great moments are when he creates the tension on Khan as he nears himself to the enterprise for an attack or when Khan reveils himself at the begining- a ghost town or some distance past ..really fanastic
    he repeats this (almaost exactly ) in Aliens a dark discovery.

James Horner is at best when he does Sci-fi
    look at Battle Beyond the Stars an earlier version of ST2. I will agree that JH does recycle his work too often for my liking and needs to learn more from Jerry Goldsmith, John Willaims and other great composers so that he can change and evolve.

I can't see how James Horner being a ripp off from Prokofiev's Nevsky and Romeo and Juliet Ballet.

What really annoys me about James Horner that he hasn't really realise a special Ediston for ST2 or ST3
    It would be really Cool if he did.

PS i wonder what the Imperial March would be if he did Star Wars :D
  9. Dani1138 Force Ghost

star 3
    What really annoys me about James Horner that he hasn't really realise a special Ediston for ST2 or ST3

There's a petition floating around the net somewhere for this, can't remember where.

PS i wonder what the Imperial March would be if he did Star Wars

It would go "da-na-na-na", just like the "danger motif" on Star Trek 2, Willow and Mask of Zorro. :p
  10. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Grand Master

star 5

I think there's actually an expanded bootleg version of STII out there somewhere.

Not that I endorse that sort of thing, of course. 8-}
  11. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
    I think there's actually an expanded bootleg version of STII out there somewhere.

Now thats naughty hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....I won't tell if you won't :D
    wink* wink*

:p

12. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Gabriel Yared's score for Troy has been rejected; James Horner's taking over.
  13. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Gabriel Yared's score for Troy has been rejected; James Horner's taking over.

Sounds good. This is Horner's chance to compose some really good, exciting music again.

I wasn't really all that interested in Troy before, but... well, let me just say it's funny how my interest in a film can sometimes hinge on who the composer is.
  14. Galahad_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    'Gabriel Yared's score for Troy has been rejected; James Horner's taking over.'

That's great to hear; it should be a great summer for epic soundtracks, with Horner rumored to be on the 'Troy' project and Hans Zimmer slated to do the scoring for 'King Arthur.' I can't wait.
    'Legends of the Fall,' is Horner at his finest. The score goes from nostalgic to dark on the score's first hour, finally climaxing triumphantly in the final fifteen-minute track. 'Braveheart' of course, isn't too far behind, nor is 'Glory' or 'Titanic.' Love or hate the movie, the 'Titanic' score was, even at it's worst, a solid effort (that doesn't include the atrociously overplayed 'My Heart Will Go On').
    I guess the big thing that makes me a Horner fan is his frequent use of the uilean pipes, an instrument I've always had a weakness for. :)
  15. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    From MftM:
    Horner's 'Troy' written at record speed, recorded with mammoth orchestra:

Music from the Movies has obtained more facts regarding James Horner's score for Wolfgang Petersen's Troy, the epic adventure starring Brad Pitt. As we revealed in March, Gabriel Yared's original score for the film was rejected very late in post production and James Horner (with whom Petersen worked on The Perfect Storm) was brought in to rescore the whole picture.

James Horner managed to compose 120 minutes of music in thirteen days and had another twelve days to record the score. "It was an extraordinary achievement and a dangerous precedent to set. Normally James would need eight weeks to write and five weeks to record something of this magnitude. We recorded, edited and mixed ten minutes of music a day," recording engineer and producer Simon Rhodes reveals in an exclusive Music from the Movies interview.

The score was recorded at Todd AO Scoring with a mammoth orchestra consisting of 118 pieces - in fact the biggest ever witnessed at the recording venue. The ensemble included five pianos (!) and such unusual stuff as antiphonal trumpets, horns and timpani. In addition, the 20 voice London Bulgarian Choir was flown over especially for the recording of the score. Also, Macedonian singer Tanja Tzarovska is featured in the score prominently. It should be mentioned that Gabriel Yared used both a Bulgarian choir - and Tanja Tzarovska as a soloist - in his rejected score.

James Horner has worked under very tight schedules before, for instance the heavily re-edited Aliens was scored in three and a half weeks - which is considered to be very quick. However, Troy, sets a new record with its two weeks. No additional composers were involved and Horner used only four orchestrators, which isn't more than what is used for an average score written under "normal" conditions.

"James is very focused and does some of his best work under what others would deem as unbearable pressure. The only problem is the practical process getting out of his head and onto paper quickly enough! His score for Troy tends to play more the emotional strife of the story rather than rigidly adhere to supporting every nuance of action. As a direct consequence this approach sets up the moving climax of the film really well," Simon Rhodes says. Asked to point out a few favourite cues in the score, he comes up with several examples. "'Helen's Entrance Into Troy' and 'The Trojans', both have brilliant antiphonal brass writing. 'The Greek Army', which starts slowly and marches faster and faster forward, tension building all the time, grounded with trombones amplified down the octave whilst gaining more tension from high strings and synths. 'The Wooden Horse', a magnificent processional, and of course the beautiful love theme."

The score CD featuring James Horner's music will be available from Warner on 11th May.

For those interested in the rejected score written by Gabriel Yared, the composer will put up audio clips of his score on his official web site shortly.
    For more info, check out MftM's earlier article including Yared's statement. Interesting stuff, and after reading it I was sad to see Yared go.
  16. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    Excellent news,Loved The Perfect Storm's score
  17. Jedi-Washington Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I like some of his stuff, and I don't like other parts. and I'll agree, that Land Before Time is a god score. Some of his stuff is interesting and moveing, others...well, it leaves something to be desired, but as a whole, he's not that bad of a composer. Better then I can compose. :p
  18. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus

star 6
    I feel bad when composers scores are rejected. I mean they can never use that music again for any other film yet it probably wasn't all that bad. But I'm glad James Horner is doing it. He's my second favorite composer behind John Williams of course. :p
  19. AdmiralZaarin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The Enemy at the Gates soundtrack was great, as was Gorky Park's. You know, Gorky Park, the 80's adaption of Martin Cruz Smith's novel? Did pretty poorly at the box office, but I have it on VHS and still love it.
  20. ratherkissawookie Force Ghost

star 3
    "Remember", the theme song for Troy, is great stuff. It won't get the type of airplay that Celine did, but it is Josh Groban at his best singing a beautiful Horner piece.
  21. Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master

star 4
    Troy was a pretty good score, although it made me think of The Passion of the Christ's score.

And like that...he's gone.
  22. Microjedi Jedi Padawan

I am a huge John Williams fan and a long time Star Wars fan. Not being a very big Star Trek fan, I have to agree that when I saw ST 2 and ST 3, I felt that JH's music was much better suited to the movies than the ones that followed. Stealing the Enterprise has always been one of my favorite tracks. Also, when you listen to the track when Spock dies, you can almost picture the look on Kirk's face when you hear the portion of music that goes along with that scene. That is what music should do. Thats what John Williams does all the time. Maybe JH will reach that point someday. I must also say that if you listen to the Titanic Soundtrack w/o picturing Leo, its actually a good piece of work. Also, it's one of the first scores of its type to use electronic keyboards.
  23. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm curious to hear the music from Yared. I liked Horner's score, but noticed some parts sounded ripped off of ST II (or maybe an earlier work that ST II ripped off of), and other stuff he's done. It's beautiful music, to be sure, it just stops being fresh when it occurs over and over.

Anyways, I thought the music for Troy was very good, there were a few scenes where it didnt' fit in the movie though. Both occurred early on (first half hour maybe?) in the film. After that the score seemed to sync up.
  24. TheWhiteTuxedo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, Love his work on The Rocketeer. My favorite childhood film BTW. Glory is wonderful as well.

Star Trek II and III have some good stuff. Esspecially II.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.