main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit James Lucenso's stuff needs to stay

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Brenapp, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Indeed, the question should be:

James Lucenso does he contradict NU.

2. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    No. While Luceno did his best to embrace all EU, Lucenso's job is to censor the EU and thus embrace the NEU.

3. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    James Luceno is my favorite EU-author. While his older novels aren't canon, the stories won't go anywhere. In a way, I'm glad that Darth Plagueis is no longer canon (or never was canon to begin with). I found it a bit strange and not really fitting that Plagueis lived into TPM.

4. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    The matter of canonicity is unimportant, what matters is whether the story is enjoyable to an individual reader. Keep in mind that when we travel far enough forward in time, Heir to the Jedi, Tarkin and any subsequent "new EU" work declared canon now can also eventually be swept away by a stroke from a new writer's pen just as easily as the old canon has supposedly done. Adhere too strongly to this concept of canon, and you will be preparing your mind for eventual feelings akin to "betrayal" down the road when the new canon gets overridden. It's all fiction, and it's meant to be fun entertainment.

Regarding Plagueis's presence in the background of the movie, I've speculated in the discussion thread for Darth Plagueis that it's a metatextual tactic employed to make readers feel like Plagueis has continued to exist in a period of SW history that is going to be unnatural to all of us readers who expected him to have been long dead. We're supposed to think his presence throughout TPM is wrong. It heightens that sense that Plagueis really has gone quite far in harnessing the Force to accomplish extremely unnatural outcomes: he is supposed to be dead and is so powerful he is confounding even the expectations of observers (us) outside of his own universe.

I can't prove it, but if true it's an extraordinary measure to go to that length to accomplish that effect. Really raises my estimation of James Luceno as a writer, who I've already thought very highly of before this.

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_laugh] I love the term

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Luceno should definitely be the chancellor of the new EU.

mes520 and Darkslayer like this.
  7. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    With Drew Karpyshyn as Vice Chancellor.

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Why? Karpyshan doesn't strike me as the canon type.

9. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Sorry for the double post.

10. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Because I haven't read a single story of his that I have disliked :)

[​IMG]

Revanfan1, Zorrixor and Draconarius like this.
  11. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005

[​IMG]

12. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Are we gonna make these threads for every single book that's come out? Because I think most of the time, they will be referenced and nothing more will be said about it.

Plus, if they want to move forward with stories, there's nothing that precludes both stories from happening unless on directly contradicts something in the other.

In other words, exactly the same as it's always been, except Leland Chee's job is more meaningless. :p

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So Leland is that guy in KOTOR2 trying to sell us a busted holocron? :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Ralon. His name was Ralon. Ralon Chee?

15. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I like to go out on a limb more than anyone (I think Anakin's abrupt introduction into Episode I 30 minutes into the movie was an intentional technique meant to set him up as a force outside the context of mundane galactic history), but even I think that theory is a bit of a stretch. I think it was just an attempt to tie into the 3D release of Episode I that happened around the same time.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I agree. It's something that I won't miss.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  17. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Yes, that was pretty much what I said. I've always looked on the EU as "what-ifs" (starting with the Marvel comics that I, even as a kid in the mid-80s, didn't regard as "true Star Wars") and as I mentioned in another thread, I nearly quit the EU after the NJO and LOTF and instead bought novels by authors I liked (such as James Luceno) while staying clear of FOTJ etc.

18. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

Wait, really? Employing a literary technique is going out on a limb, but believing it was a marketing tie-in (beyond the setting itself) isn't? You really believe in the logistical power of the marketing department if you think they get that into the details of the books being written over at Del Rey... [face_tee_hee]

I don't see it as having been a huge stretch to do what Duguay suggests. It would've simply been a matter of sitting down and outlining it with Lucas Licensing, saying, "Well, obviously he'll have to die before TPM... but wait a minute... what if he didn't?"

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    So... you're saying I have to download a mod to make Leland work? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.