main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jango shames the name of Fett

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by billjo, Jul 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billjo

billjo Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2002
    To me, the whole concept of Jango Fett was the one thing that bugged me the most. It is just a classic example of how Lucas is taking his priceless creations and turns them into cheap sell-outs.
    First of all, and probably the most obvious, is that Boba Fett is a clone. Boba Fett, the #1 bounty hunter in the galaxy, is now suddenly the second banana and just one in an army of identical soldiers, which is another thing that bugs me.
    Is Jango Fett, the "father" of Boba, really such a huge sell-out that he would sell himself to be cloned for such a huge army? So, what, there's just hundreds of Fett clones roaming around the galaxy now?
    One other thing that just ruins it is the fact that fett walks around without his armor or helmet on. The thing that made Fett cool was mystery surrounding him. Take Darth Vader for example. If you knew what he looked like the whole time, he wouldn't neearly have the same type of feel to him. Maybe if they unmasked Fett like they did Vader, when the timing was right, it would have been better.
    One last thing, and I'm sorry to bring eu into this, but just to prove my point, wasn't fett's name orginally Jaster Meerell? (sp?) Why is he named Boba Fett in AOTC?
    Well, sorry if I sounded too negative, but then who dosen't love Boba Fett? If it's any concilation, the 'Bounty Hunter' game was pretty awesome.

2. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    I agree. I think that Jango should have stayed masked. and that seeing Boba as a child sort of ruins the mystery behind him later in the series.

Just another case of Lucas giving in to the fan boys and giving back story, when the coolest thing about Boba was that he didn't have backstory.

3. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    One last thing, and I'm sorry to bring eu into this, but just to prove my point, wasn't fett's name orginally Jaster Meerell? (sp?)

The Jaster Mereel stuff is EU, which is frequently contradicted by Lucas.

Also, one of the Jango Fett comics explains the Jaster Mereel discrepency.

Finally, Lucas always intended for Boba Fett to have a connection with the clonetroopers.

4. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I agree. I think that Jango should have stayed masked.

I disagree. We needed to see Jango's face in order to establish his connection with the clones (effectivly shown when we see the clones eating).

5. billjo

billjo Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2002
    according to what?

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002

Uhh... when is there anything in the movies that never said he went by the name Jaster Mereel, or anything in the movies that said he never lived on Concord Dawn at one point in his life?

And the reason Boba leaves his mask on is that it gives him more identity than he has without it. I really don't have a problem with the whole Jango thing. It's just showing that Boba's origins had caring as well as coldness, while Boba doesn't really care about anyone at all.

7. billjo

billjo Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2002
    Yes, qui-gon, but as i stated, they could have done it like vader, when the timing and drama was right. Also, who says lucas intended fett for the clone troopers?

8. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Lucas Said It...

9. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    "Boba had a connection to stormtroopers. I sort of built him out of the stormtroopers, and I knew stormtroopers were clones. Exactly what that relationship was I hadn't really established yet. I knew Boba was a clone, but I didn't know how all of that fit together. I knew that the clones were made out of a bounty hunter, and when I got to this story, I thought "Well, gee, the best bounty hunter is Boba Fett. And rather than him maybe being a clone, he could be the originator of the clones." Most of the pieces were there, but I actually put them all together in this one."
    --George Lucas

"It wasn't until I started working on this script that I decided to make Boba the son of the Original Clone. Before he was just another clone who was for whatever reason had sort of broken loose from the stormtroopers. I didn't really go into detail at that point, even in my mind or in the back story about any more of it other than that they were connected but early on the stormtroopers were meant to be clones."
    --George Lucas

"Throughout as we go through the movie there's all little funny moments like Jango bumping his head because in Star Wars one of the stormtroopers bumps his head on the door as they leave the control room on the Death Star and I thought wouldn't it be funny if that's a trait that Jango has. When he puts his helmet on and everything he can't really see that well and so he's constantly bumping his head and that trait gets cloned into all the stormtroopers and that's why they keep bumping their heads."
    --George Lucas

10. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    One last thing, and I'm sorry to bring eu into this, but just to prove my point, wasn't fett's name orginally Jaster Meerell? (sp?) Why is he named Boba Fett in AOTC?

Let me clear this up here.

Jaster Mereel was a Journeyman Protector from the planet Concord Down. He as an ugly youth who had killed another Protector in the line of duty. Even though the other man was a corrupt law enforcer, Mereel was imprisoned and forced to stand trial. He was found guilty of murder, and exiled from the planet. Over the years, Jaster eventually found a home with the Mandalorian Shocktroopers, who took him in and trained him to be one of their best mercenaries. When Jaster was elected the leader of the Mandalorians, it was believed that Vizsla decided to split off from the group and form the Death Watch. Vizsla tried to destroy the true Mandalorians on Concord Dawn, but Mereel and a small force managed to survive, thanks in part to the efforts of young Jango Fett. The Mandalorians regrouped, but Jaster felt pressure from hard-liners like Montross to eliminate the Death Watch and re-establish the superiority of the Mandalorians. Years later, during a mission to Korda 6, Jaster discovered that the request for aid had been a ruse created by Vizsla and the Death Watch. Vizsla lured the Mandalorians to Korda 6 and nearly eliminated them. Jaster and a handful of mercenaries survived, only to find that Montross had decided to take control of the Shocktroopers for himself. Montross fled, and Vizsla shot Jaster dead as he lifted off from the planet. Boba Fett later recovered Mereel's Mandalorian armor, using it as his own distinctive garb. For this reason, many rumors claimed that Boba Fett was actually Jaster Mereel.

There's also a rumor to further the idea that Boba was actually Jaster Mereel. It is rumored that he returned to his father's homeworld of Concord Dawn, where he was known as the Journeyman Protector Jaster Mereel as a disguise. There are also rumors that Fett infiltrated the Imperial ranks of his own clones as an extremely dedicated Imperial stormtrooper who, for reasons known only to him, attacked and killed his superior officer. However, these rumors have never been substantiated.

The answer to these rumors will most likely be resolved in the Boba Fett young adult series of books. ;) :)

Lucas has never, ever contradicted the EU. ;) :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

11. Ktulu_Terumo

Ktulu_Terumo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002

I must say, George Lucas should have a little more respect for the EU.
    Why? because those brilliant minds who created novels and comic books back in the "bad" days of Star Wars ('86-'96 when there wheren't new movies and GL didn't give a crap about us fans) where the ones who kept SW alive with such great stories like the Thrawn's trilogy and Shadows of the Empire.

In my humble opinion, GL should be greatfull instead of adopting that "I don't care what the EU says" attitud. Sure, it's HIS creation and he can do whatever he likes with it, but he should respect what others did to keep us fans satiesfied.

12. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    I think KK's dealt with the Jaster Mereel thing :)

And a note: Boba is a true clone of Jango. All the clonetroopers have been genetically modified. Boba is the only one who turned out exactly the same as Jango did. And when Jango died, Boba was left, pretty much unique from the rest of the clones. ;)

13. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    Jango is not a Sell out. First off, he took out a Council Member. That should restore more to his "The Best Bounty Hunter in the Galaxy" Thing. GL had to add Boba in. He would have been too old to have been the age of Jango and be the Clone Template. And as posted before GL said that Boba was tied in with the Clones. He was Jango's exact Replica and that tied him in. This wasn't a "Fanboy" thing how many of you look at it. IMO the Fetts add GREATLY to the whole story of Star Wars. So your sell-out is the Man of the Clone-Wars and the Father of the Bounty Hunter who was called "Vader's Right Hand Man". I had to add that since we're getting into EU.

14. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I heard that Boba Fett was really a woman. Got himself a sex change after watching his father die.

15. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    First of all, and probably the most obvious, is that Boba Fett is a clone.

Well as far back as ESB, Lucas and (I believe) Johnston had played with the idea that Boba had a connection with the stormtroopers. Even your EU plays off of this in Dark Empire II I believe when one of those Dark Side guys says he knows that Boba was once a stormtrooper who gunned down his commanding officer. That's why I don't like the EU blowing small little things like that up, because they can trip over it later.

Boba Fett, the #1 bounty hunter in the galaxy, is now suddenly the second banana and just one in an army of identical soldiers.

Second banana? Only if you think Jango was cooler which you apparently don't :p
    Also, he is not just one of the clones. He was unaltered, so, he's still special.

Is Jango Fett, the "father" of Boba, really such a huge sell-out that he would sell himself to be cloned for such a huge army?

'Aside from his pay, which is considerable...' 'I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the galaxy.'
    Bounty Hunters aren't like an army in and of themselves. There's no code of honor or anything. They do it for money. Prostitutes that kill. It's all for the cash. 'They drove a dumptruck full of money up to my house! I'm not made of stone!' So he's a sell-out for not turning down more wealth than Han could imagine? Plus, having thousands of hims running around so his legacy would live on?

So, what, there's just hundreds of Fett clones roaming around the galaxy now?

Altered Fett clones, yup.

One other thing that just ruins it is the fact that fett walks around without his armor or helmet on. The thing that made Fett cool was mystery surrounding him.

Stuff like that get's bashed in the PT as 'not having any character developement.' Go fig ^_^

Take Darth Vader for example. If you knew what he looked like the whole time, he wouldn't neearly have the same type of feel to him.

Nope. But Vader was a main character with a much larger story arc. Fett was just background fodder. Why do you think he was so big in the EU? Cause you had a neat-looking nobody with little backstory. The EU feasts off of stuff like that :p

Maybe if they unmasked Fett like they did Vader, when the timing was right, it would have been better.

Actually, they do it vice-versa lol. In the movie, you're shown glimpses of the mask (much like Vader's head) until the rain fight when it does a quick sweep over to our first clear view of helmeted Fett. That's neat.
    If they were doing sequels however, and they didn't kill of Fett, then they'd probably do something like what you said.

One last thing, and I'm sorry to bring eu into this, but just to prove my point,

EU doesn't prove too many points actually. Only to those who read it/accept it as canon.
    Besides, I find it funny (not in a mean spirited way) that you're concerned about this when the EU has backflipped its way over more errors than this ;) The Clone Wars imeline for instance. The movies don't depend on the EU. It's vice-versa.

wasn't fett's name orginally Jaster Meerell? (sp?) Why is he named Boba Fett in AOTC?

Because Jaster Mereel was some creation of Daniel Keys... something or other. Lucas apparently gave us his name as was. I mean, Lucas named the guy to begin with. Why they felt they had to change it is beyond me... That was a neat story at the time though.

Well, sorry if I sounded too negative,

Meh. There's been worse :p

but then who dosen't love Boba Fett?

He's ok. I have a Boba mug on my desk actually ;) I like Jango better though *shrugs*

If it's any concilation, the 'Bounty Hunter' game was pretty awesome.

Aye, it was.
    Here's more consolation. Just take whatever you built up Fett to in your mind or from EU or whatever, and apply it to Jango. Or split it between the two. The EU did.
    I do find it funny however. That throughout the films we never see Boba do anything remotely as dynamic as he does in the EU. The EU took the 'best bou

16. MikeSolo

Aug 6, 2002
    In my opinion Jango brought great things to the name Fart ops I mean Fett. Before ATOC I didn't really care for buckethead that much, cool uniform boring character. Now ATOC comes out and you have Jango and little bob damn I mean boba. Now I love the Fetts a lot more interesting. Even the great EU didn't help my liking for Bobo I mean Boba but now with Jango around I respect the Fetts a lot more :)

17. jaster_meerle

jaster_meerle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    whats up with the boba fett sex change???

a little strange but to each their own...

18. MikeSolo

Aug 6, 2002
    Yes see Boba went back to Kamino ask the Kaminians if they could turn him into a female. The long necks said sure then Boba changed his mind in the middle of the operation so only half of him is female being the lower half :p

19. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    There's also a rumor to further the idea that Boba was actually Jaster Mereel. It is rumored that he returned to his father's homeworld of Concord Dawn, where he was known as the Journeyman Protector Jaster Mereel as a disguise. There are also rumors that Fett infiltrated the Imperial ranks of his own clones as an extremely dedicated Imperial stormtrooper who, for reasons known only to him, attacked and killed his superior officer. However, these rumors have never been substantiated.

Ah, but they have been substantiated. The Hutt Gambit and "The Last One Standing: The Tale of Boba Fett" in Tales of the Bounty Hunters come right out and say that Boba Fett once went by the name of Jaster Mereel. In "The Last One Standing," Fett contemplates joining the stormtroopers after his expulsion from the ranks of the Journeyman Protectors, and one of the Dark Empire comics confirms that he did join up and then quit after killing his commanding officer. ;)

I hope you don't mind if I post this little summary of the Fetts' backstories here. I'm not trying to steal your thunder or anything, I just love posting this. ;)

Jango Fett lived with his family. His father was a Journeyman Protector, who had taken the job after the former protector, Jaster Mereel, had killed his superior officer.

Jaster Mereel had joined the Mandalorian mercenaries. This group of mercenaries had splintered into two factions: the Death Watch, commanded by a man named Vizsla, which wanted to conquer the galaxy, and the main force of Mandalorians, which remained true to their millennia old tradition of soldiers-for-hire, and was commanded by Jaster Mereel. The two groups fought on Concord Dawn, and ended up killing Jango Fett's family. After the Death Watch was (apparently) defeated, Jaster took Jango under his wing and became his mentor.

Unfortunately, the Death Watch still remained active. Vizsla and his forces fought the Mandalorians years later on Korda Six, where a Mandalorian named Montross turned traitor in battle, and Vizsla killed Jaster Mereel.

The two groups met in battle again on Galidraan. This time, the Jedi, led by Master Dooku, were called in, and every Mandalorian perished--except for Jango.

Jango spent time as a slave to the governor of Galidraan, but was eventually freed two year later when a transport he was serving on was attacked by pirates. He returned to Galidraan, recovered a set of Mandalorian armour, and set out to kill Vizsla. He succeeded at last, and later became a bounty hunter, one of the best in the galaxy.

Later, Jango was recruited by Lord Tyranus on one of the moons of Bogden. He was one of several bounty hunters hired by the Sith Lord to defeat the leader of the Bando Gora cult. The one to eliminate this leader would be used as the source for the Clone army planned by his master, Lord Sidious.

Another bounty hunter in Mandalorian armour joined the competition--Montross, wearing the armour of Jaster Mereel, whom he had betrayed to his death years ago. Fett, of course, came out the winner. He also killed Montross, and took Mereel's armour from him.

Jango received a considerable sum for his contributions to the clone army. He also received, upon request, an unaltered clone that he would train as Jaster Mereel's legacy. One who would be called Boba Fett.

As the novelization of The Empire Strikes Back states, the last of the Mandalorian warriors were defeated by the Jedi during the Clone Wars, when Mace Windu slew Jango Fett at the Battle of Geonosis. But Boba survived. He returned to the Slave I, where he would find a last gift from his father: the green/gray armour of Jaster Mereel.

Boba Fett would have many adventures during the Clone Wars, on Bogden, Bespin, Aargau, and many other worlds. During the last days of the Clone Wars, he served with a group of Supercommandos from the planet Mandalore. They were brought into the Wars on Palpatine's side, against the Jedi. Only three Mandalorians survived: Boba Fett, Tobi Dala, and Fenn Shysa

20. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    Esplin9466: Good Post! :)

Judging by your sig, Im sorry about Nick the Dog :(

21. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    People, in this forum, like all the movie forums, the EU is presented as only one of many possible answers.

If this continues to be an EU discussion, I will have to lock it and ask you to continue it in Lit. Thanks.

22. MikeSolo

Aug 6, 2002
    I'm trying to figure out what falls into a EU category and from all these postings i'm getting this..... that the EU is everything that isn't a Star Wars movie right....so that would make Video Games, Tshirts, Food, Soda Cans, Star Wars Toys, Star Wars shoes for little kids, Star Wars Watches, Star Wars Undies n Pjs, Star Wars candy and Gogurt by the way that gogurt was very yummmy...SW books, magazines, comics , shoe laces too, tooth paste I think I saw that once. Well all of that could be part of the EU because it isn't one of the movies :) all that stuff has expanded the star wars universe from a certain point of view :) Now on with this serious talk about Jango and Bobo Fett :)

23. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Yup, you are correct!

And in this forum, as in all the movie forums, the EU is considered only as one possible answer, in other words, the EU in these forums is not the final say.

But I am derailing the topic...

Carry on...

:)

24. MikeSolo

Aug 6, 2002
    Sorry but that means there is not a final say on Star Wars Ceral and Underwear Sweet!! I have no idea what that means for my star wars undies or the ceral I once had but it just sounds cool :p Jango doesn't shame the Fett name because well he takes on Jedi and loses his head yes but Boba gets killed by Han Solo when he could barely see straight :p So if anyone shames the Fett name its Boba not Jango IMO which don't hold much weight I know so you don't have to tell me :)

OH YEA I once read on the back of some star wars tooth paste that Jabba the Hutt enjoys cherry flavor tooth paste not that he has any teeth to brush he just like the taste OH DAMN thats the EU I'm sorry ingore that just forget I ever said it :p

25. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002

I have no problem with GL contradicting the EU

Without him the EU couldn't exist, he doesn't owe the authors or the fans anything, we owe him for creating SW

It's HIS story, he thought it up he wrote it he filmed it

Without him there is no EU, he can make anything in the SW universe however he wants it to be

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.