main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Jango's Confrontation of Mace

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Ananta Chetan, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    An act of heroic bravery or naive overconfidence?

We know that Jango was paid a considerable amount to serve as the template for the clone army, that he has a son which is important to him and that he appears to serve a role amongst Dooku's inner circle of Separatist leaders.

So, what would possess him to rush down into the arena in the middle of the foray to confront the most senior Jedi present?

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I love every bit of SW, but this is one scene I consider genuinely bad writing
    He had a gun and was up on a balcony. Why doesn't he, oh I dunno, shoot Mace from up there, the take his lightsaber? He's dealt with other Jedi and a Dark Jedi before, so the "he didn't know the Force would work" thing doesn't work.
    Honestly, his death is a worse cop-out than his son's. It feels like they just couldn't properly come up with a way to kill him so they thought of this as just a way to advance the plot.

As for an in universe reason.... I have no idea, Jango must have been on spice or something

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  3. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I hate that whole confrontation. It makes Mace seem like a cold blooded killer, and Jango look like an idiot.

Thuro and Seagoat like this.
  4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Never really thought about it, but you guys got it right.

I have no idea what Jango was thinking, there was no reason for him to even risk himself, and he should have known better than to dive into the fray.

5. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    The movie has always given me the impression that Jango doesn't particularly like the Jedi. Perhaps he even hates them. I don't know. I chalk it up to his disdain for them getting the better of him. He had no reason to join the fight, but perhaps after killing Coleman Trebor he decided he was bored and could go after another Council member... the one who had just held a lightsaber to his neck moments earlier. Maybe he also wanted to continue impressing Dooku.

A more satisfying death would have been for him to be killed by the Clones... either intentionally or as the result of collateral damage. That would have been quite ironic.

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it's overconfidence. that's it. think about it. most villians in sw die because of their own arrogance. maul, jango, dooku, gg, jabba, boba and sidious. it also happens in tcw but i won't spoil anything.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. Master Fisto

Master Fisto Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2013
    My personal opinion is that after Jango killed Coleman Trebor he got a little over confident. Thinking it would be easy to kill Mace like it was Trebor. But as we know he was wrong. He should've just stayed up on the balony.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    A certain life threat moments earlier by someone who holded a certain purple lightsaber at his throat only to address another person while doing it? He has a reputation to maintain.

9. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Even Count Dooku looked surprised when Jango jetted out of that balcony.

10. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    That truism also applies in RL. Most criminals get caught for that same reason.

Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  11. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Everyone's forgeting it might not have ended so quickly without his jet pack getting damaged.

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Basically this. Mace caught him visibly by surprise (look at Jango's face when the lightsaber ignites right in front of him). It made him mad and he wanted to take a shot at Mace. Was he overconfident? Yeah, probably. But if that Reek hadn't been involved in the fight, it would've gone a lot differently. Not saying Jango would've won, of course, but he would've given Mace a run for his money. Also, if Jango hadn't tried to dive for Mace's lightsaber, and instead fried him where he stood, then the fight would've been over right there. I don't so much have a problem with Jango going down to fight Mace as I do with him jumping after the lightsaber. That was just plain dumb.

BigAl6ft6 and Ananta Chetan like this.
  13. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    He's been working with Count Dooku for ten years now. He's one of the three people in the world that know that Clone army was commisioned by the guy that leads the Seperatists. It is possible that he was lying when he said he was just a simple man trying to make his way in the world and cares about achieving Sidious' plans and wanted to quickly take out the head of the Jedi Order to do so.

14. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Not only that, but it was in front of his "son" too. And he saw Mace was visibly in danger, and vulnerable.

Ananta Chetan and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    He did just kill Coleman Trebor just before that, so that would have added to his confidence.

16. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Since Boba is a direct clone of daddy Jango, a very cool "possible" aspect of a Boba Fett spinoff movie series is that Boba could have some preconception memories of life as Jango? With the aid of flashbacks in the pre-TCW era, this would enable us to get into the mind of the Fetts' like none before. Yes, what's Jango's beef with Jedi? Did he kill more Jedi than are known beyond just the films? He wasn't intimidated at all when confronted by Kenobi; nearly defeating him. Agreed that Mace vs. Jango was awkward. IMO, it was trying to set up Mace's character as powerful 'master'.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    A big problem I have with it is this:
    Jango jetpacks right down next to a Jedi, gets his gun destroyed, then dies
    Boba jetpacks right down next to a Jedi, then gets his gun destroyed. He ends up dead but not by Luke's hands
    It's like he learned absolutely nothing from how his father died. At least we can say by Vader throwing his saber at Luke on the high ground is him learning from Mustafar

It would probably have been more fitting to have his death occur halfway though ROTS. Perhaps an ironic death at the hands of the clones while Obi-Wan was confronting Grievous

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  18. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    When some guy shows up and puts a lightsaber across your throat you're going to get pretty pissed pretty quick. Yeah of course it was a mistake but how many times have people rushed into things when the adrenaline's pumping?.

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Accidents happen, there's nothing to be learned in this case. Of course, Jango's jetpack issue is a nod to Boba's death.

20. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Jango Fett was doing his job. He was more than just a clone template for Dooku. His species, the Mandalorians, were skilled warriors that proved to be occasional and formidable nemesis for the Jedi. He also managed to kill a Jedi Knight during the Geonosis battle. So, what's the problem?

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. Ananta Chetan

Aug 11, 2013
    Always fascinating to me how GL loves to mirror scenes within the saga, as many of you have pointed out.

Like father, like son...both

-confront a Jedi
    -jet-pack into battle
    -have their blaster barrels lightsabered-off
    -have their jet-packs damaged out of commission
    -end up in a "pit"
    -roll- Jango by the Reek and Boba falling into the Sarlaac
    -have an embarrassing moment- Jango diving for the lightsaber and Boba jet-packing into the side of the sail-barge

There must be more, including all of the other similarities between the Geonosis Arena and Sarlacc Pit scenes, but we'd have to call in Cryogenic for that :p.
    Brilliant idea.

22. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Ananta Chetan
    I do appreciate George's use of mirrors like this. It's one of the chief reasons I love SW so. But the fact that it seems like Boba learned absolutely nothing from watching his father die just seems.... odd

Andy Wylde and Ananta Chetan like this.
  23. Ananta Chetan

Aug 11, 2013
    Maybe further irony...that since he was an unaltered-clone of his father, he couldn't really escape his genetics and destiny.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    He did fight Obi Wan Kenobi too and did rather well.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    His species is Human, and he's not a Mandalorian (who are humans as well).

Andy Wylde and TX-20 like this.