main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Jango's Confrontation of Mace

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Ananta Chetan, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    He has his own video game detailing how he was "nominated" to be the clone template and eventually chosen. A terribly underrated, very fun video game might I add

Kato Sai likes this.
  2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Yes, Star Wars: Bounty Hunter! That game was a classic! I clocked so many hours into that game. :D

[​IMG]

Edit: Just realized my whole epiphany was the premise for Star Wars: Bounty Hunter. For some reason I did not correlate it when I saw AOTC or played the game. Then again I was only a Padawan then. :D :p

mratm23 and Seagoat like this.
  3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Now he's not, and as far as Lucas goes, he never was. He was always a bounty hunter with Mandalorian armor, not a Mandalorian bounty hunter. Same with Boba Fett.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014

GL says a lot. I take what he says with a grain of salt. He changes his mind all the time. Now it's up to Disney. If they want him to be a Mandalorian then he'll be a Mandalorian. If not then he's not.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    And until he does so, things are what he decides.

Disney will stick with his latest views. In the case of Jango, it never changed.

6. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh god I sense an upcoming "personal canon" debate

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  7. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Back to Jango, it does stand to reason, following a counterargument that Jango should have been somewhat cautious. When Jango fought Obi-Wan on Kamino he was put to the test and nearly lost had he not had the help of his son/clone in Slave I. You would think that Jango would have remembered when facing Mace, that Obi-Wan was a handful and that the tide could turn against him, especially because he does not have Slave I as backup this time.

rumsmuggler and CT-867-5309 like this.
  8. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Obi-Wan wasn't also occupied in a battle with hundreds of battle droids killing dozens of his friends around him

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    He def does hate the Jedi. The Jedi were tricked into killing most of the True Mando's.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  10. The Son of Dathomir

The Son of Dathomir Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2014
    I don't think he was trying to be heroic or was being over confident. He saw a vulnerable Jedi and tried to kill him. Particularly this was the same jedi that held a lightsaber in front of his face a few minutes earlier. Unfortunately for him he should have known that he was attacking the only Vapaad user in the galaxy.

11. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I like the analogy. Jango seemed almost bored blasting away Coleman Trebor, but Jedi Master Mace Windu? There's a fight!

Now, to add to how the fight went down, Lucas was once quoted as saying that Samuel L. Jackson would probably win an award for the fight. Afterwards, the scene got cut down to what we see in the final film. As it played out, Mace still always kept the upper hand in the fight, but it showed Jango putting up more of a fight. With all the weapons and gadgets at his disposal, lasting more than a few seconds against a Jedi was a fight worth seeing; I think the Jango vs. Obi-Wan fight was done incredibly well in this respect.

Jango comes off as a little clumsy, but ultimately, it turns out to be his own bad luck that sealed his fate with the rocket pack. Jango simply joins the fight because he wants to take out Mace in particular. Mace counters every move he makes, but Jango keeps coming, until Mace has no choice but to kill him in the heat of the moment. In the rankings of Star Wars deaths, Jango's is pretty memorable. When tying in Boba Fett to the prequels, Jango was all-in-all a pretty enjoyable character.

Andy Wylde and Ananta Chetan like this.
  12. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    The Son of Dathomir, you make an excellent point! Jango was out for revenge. I had nearly forgotten that Mace had held his purple blade to Fett's neck.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  13. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I feel that the Jango fight with Mace was at least in part an attempt by Lucas to redeem himself for what he did to Boba Fett in ROTJ; in that film, one of the galaxy's best bounty hunters was quickly, easily, and accidentally defeated by a man who could barely see.

Conversely, in AOTC, Jango was shown to be cunning, vicious, and crafty - he took out that lady bounty hunter/alien on Coruscant, fought Obi-wan to a stand-still on the water planet, and took out a Jedi during the Geonosis battle; he then temporarily gave Mace a run for his money, but Mace was too quick for him...

14. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    In the original timeline, Jango had killed a dozen Jedi in combat with his bare hands. That's pretty insane. In that context him charging at Mace Windu makes sense, unfortunately he underestimated the most battle hardened Jedi of them all.

Kato Sai likes this.
  15. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I think a lot of it (on both sides) was adrenalin.

We are watching a fantastical sci-fi battle in a Roman gladiator pit with Ray Harryhausen type monsters and gangly robots in the safety of our living rooms, so it's rather easy for us to say "why would so-and-so" do that?

from Mace's point of view: enemy was coming at him, so he disposed of him, he wasn't going to be a Batman and put "Jedi-cuffs" on the guy was he?

From Jango's point of view, the place was ambushed by Jedi, so it's either fight or flight...he chose the former and lost.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Well to me it would have worked better story wise and character wise if Jango had fought Obi-Wan again.
    They had fought each other earlier in the film so there was a set up animosity between them and having Jango fall by Obi-Wan's hand would have resolved that well.

Jumping down into the arena, with all that stray fire isn't terribly smart. And I never took Jango as one who cares about honor or stuff like that. "You threatened me so now my honor demands a fight to the death." He is a bounty hunter and assassin, they tend to not fight fairly. If he could have shoot Mace from above then fine but jumping down into the fray, less than bright.

I also think that there was more of a set up for a fight between Mace and Dooku instead of Yoda vs Dooku.
    Mace and Dooku had talked during the arena fight and they seemed to know each other. So having Mace turn up and fight Dooku in the hanger could have worked well. Plus it would have been cool to have Mr Jackson and Sir Lee square off.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  17. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

IIRC, the novelization treats it as an accident on Mace's part. He thought Jango was going to jetpack up, and he was aiming to chop a hand off and simply disable him. But of course Jango's jetpack malfunctioned.

All this isn't really portrayed in the movie, but as you say, Mace does a look a little regretful. So maybe that's actually the explanation.

18. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I always thought Jango was being overconfident. He clearly tried to jetpack out of the situation when things started to get hairy, but it was just unfortunate his jetpack was broke. I imagine that if his gear was all still in working order he would have just zoomed up out of the way of Mace and back to the balcony with Dooku.

19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Well, that's a whole other stupid death.

20. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Yeah I have to agree that was kind of lame. He puts up this awesome fight against Obi-Wan, then gets his head chopped off like a common B-1.

21. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007

Exactly. It was the reek that killed Jango, not Mace ;)

22. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I guess I missed the scene in AOTC where the reek decapitates Jango with a purple lightsaber.

Andy Wylde and Seagoat like this.
  23. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Reek was inside the Purple Blade. :p

24. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I feel like it was an intentional reference to Boba's death in Jedi. They both go out like chumps because of malfunctioning jetpacks.

But at least with Jango we got to see him do something impressive before he died.

25. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Yeah, Boba Fett's death was a huge error in the OT