main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV Jank's Birthday Trivia Question

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Talon_Wolfe, Nov 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    I feel I need to remind you of some things:

1. That's a whole lotta xp on the line
    2. I have been known to be tricky. At times.

Good luck!

2. Jankarakk

Jankarakk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2003
    Well I suppose I could have picked a topic where I had more of a chance....but I went out on a limb just to see if I could get it. But I didn't think it would be this hard....thus I have all movies with me and I plan to watch at least 2 of them tonight. The other three tomorrow morning. I will figure this out or I'll kick myself in the butt for a long time for throwin away the initial prize.

3. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    I cannot respond in anyway except to say good luck!

Anything else would end up being a hint, or direction as to whether you were on the right path, or not.

4. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Jaaaaaank...

Oh Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnk......

Wake up! The clock is ticking!

5. Acthar_Sm-Ith

Acthar_Sm-Ith Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    sweet bejeebers! I actually know this one. hahaha... good luck man. its obscure to say the least

6. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Got your PM, Acthar, and I will say this:

What I am thinking of does not have to do with bathroom pipes.

Remember, what I am thinking of is visible, not necessarily audible.

(Although you get 250 cool points, Acthar, for a very cool answer!)

7. Jankarakk

Jankarakk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2003
    I have spent the better part of last night and today watching all five star wars movies, and I regret to say that I do not get the 2000 xp....I instead get 0 xp. It was a gamble....and I lost. That question was just not something I could figure in the alotted time. Good game.

8. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    I am sorry that you get nothing. Well, sort of sorry.

Such is the nature of double or nothing, the temptation is great, when you look at potentially winning twice what you had.

However, because I am a good sport, you get the consolation prize of 250 XP. Better than zero, eh?

Here is the answer I was looking for:

In SW: A New Hope, the first SW film to be made, Lucas' props guys made the first lightsabers. For that first movie, before it hit it big at the box office, they did not machine blocks of metal to make sabers, as they do now. Instead, they put them together from materials on hand. As you probably know, they used Heiland and Graflex flash handles, and added bits and pieces to them to create what we now know as the original trilogy lightsaber 'look'. There was another saber, however, that they had to create: old Ben Kenobi's saber. For this they used parts of an old grenade (the bumpy part that looks like a grip), but they needed a suitable piece for the end. They ended up using a knob from a faucet, either sink or shower.

This knob ended up being part of the characteristic Kenobi saber, and ended up influencing the saber creation for Luke, in Return of the Jedi. Look here for example pictures:

In Episode 1 and 2, we see Kenobi favoring a saber style with an end piece reminiscent of what he (in story) will end up with in the future, and in Episode III, it is a known fact that Lucas will be blending all props, costumes and appearances to look like they are progressing towards the look of Episode IV. Thus, we can probably expect to see the further evolution of the end of Kenobi's saber towards looking like what it was in Episode IV... A shower/sink knob.

(I say probably, because I am spoiler free and will not look at photos or anything dealing with Episode III)

On a side note, it is very fun to go to Home Depot, and look at all the shower/sink knobs. Some come pretty close, and would make a good pommel for a homemade saber.

You made a valiant effort to find the answer, but it was indeed hard to figure out. I tried to find something that was not easily researchable on the net. Congratulations on your effort! The 250 XP is yours.

Thanks for playing... better luck next time!

Let's have a hand for him, studio audience!

(cheers)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.