main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL January Meeting

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Pikaroth, Dec 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tristan458

tristan458 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
  2. Ruckus

Ruckus Jedi Master star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    I bet you tell yourself that story to help you go to sleep at night? I always wanted to use that line. Anyways- where do you get all that info from Brandon? I thought you only went with what is given in the movies? I don't recall any of that from any of the movies?

3. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    The information I typed up is from the films, or, at least, taken from it. See, and we spoke about this briefly at the last meeting, some people need every single thing explained to them on screen; the average Star Wars fan, nowadays at least, is probably on the edge of being mentally retarded, with zero imagination. I mean that.

For example, from the movies alone, just by how things are portrayed and what is said, there are no "Dark Jedi." Not only are they never mentioned, but, again, the Jedi are a specific order, a group, a club, whatever you want to call them. To quote Obi-Wan in Attack of the Clones, "...you will be expelled from the Jedi Order!" I'm sure they have expelled people before, but you *have* to be a part of that "club" in order to even BE a Jedi. Therefore, by process of elimination, there can be no Dark Jedi. The Jedi do not use the Dark Side, and, I'm guessing, if they do, they would be expelled. That does not make them Sith. Again, according to The Phantom Menace, the Sith have been extinct for over 1,000 years (or so they thought), but the Dark Side is still around. So, from that, the Dark Side does not mean you are a Sith.

You could be born, use the Force, go undiscovered by the Jedi, and use strictly the Dark Side your entire life and still never be a Sith, nor would you be a Dark Jedi. You'd simply be a Force user.

While not mentioned on screen specifically, I would not be surprised if there were other groups of Force users besides Jedi and Sith. Perhaps not as extensive as the Jedi Order but a <insert another sci-fi name here> Order. Maybe not.

Anyway, all the information I typed up in regards to Jedi and Sith is strictly from the films and what is shown to us.

Brandon

4. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    So what you are saying is there could be expelled Jedi who aren't quite up to snuff to be Sith- since there can only be one sith master and one sith lord- who may have the taint of the darkside in them and could theoretically become Dark Jedi? Though really- I don't want this dumb thread to turn into some lame flame war.

5. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Lalala...changing subject.

I feel sorry for whoever is reading this topic from the beginning. HAHAHA! (evil grin)

Hmmm. So I'm excited about all things Star Wars lately. Yes, it seems to be a promising year and a half coming up. :)

Nothing much to write. Just wanted to show I was still alive.

BTW: Welcome to all the new members. Great to have you!

6. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    Great to see ya alive and kicking kid! Thanks for changing the subject- how'd those college auditions go?

7. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Okay, you know those Star Wars Fan Film Awards? If not, click here:

http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/af/spotlight/collections/starwars/

Anyway, does anyone know or "have" access to any downloadable versions? It's odd because you *can* download some of them right from the site. Others, though, such as "Christmas Taun Tauns" you cannot.

Any ideas?

Brandon

8. tristan458

tristan458 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    Whens lunch?

9. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    Usually between Noon and 1 in the U.S. the time for lunch varies in other countries.

10. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    So you guys ready to go for 100 posts more?!?!? YAY. Not...

Actually, this post is kind of dead...

Maybe not, because I am reviving it.

Well, there's only one more thing left to say: I love the Indy guy.

11. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    SWEET!!! Someone continued the love in here! Glad this puppy still has some kick to it. Hey I voted today and this one girl with ponytails and super huge platform boots was a hottie!

12. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    Well, I'll share my happy news. No more car breaking down!! Yea!! I got my 2004 Toyota Corolla Gold with beige interior. I absolutely love it!! I've been told I should pick out a name. Since I never have named my car before any suggestions are welcome.

Well, this is my contribution to the January post. Hope your week will be as great as mine!!

Melanie

13. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    YEAH!!! Melanie! Have fun and drive that puppy with care! I expect oil changes every 3,000 miles- air filter change atleast once a year, check your pressure level in your tires atleast 2x a month or more, spark plug change at 75,000- make sure you check those fluid levels!!! That includes brake fluid, oil, transmission and radiator- it never hurts to check out the windshield wiper fluid too. Hmmm... I think you should name it the 'Lady Luck'.

14. Phntmns

Phntmns Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2003
    Lady Luck? I thought this was a Star Wars forum???

How 'bout the "MELANIE FALCON"

:)

-Mark

15. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    Ah, Lady Luck would be Lando's ship from the books. Right? Thank you and nice suggestion but I'm looking for a single name. Keep 'em coming.
    My original car lasted me 10 years before having problems and since my dad was a mechanic I know all the maintance schedules but again, thank you!
    Well, have to go.

Melanie

16. Phntmns

Phntmns Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2003
    Oops, my bad! I guess you could say I don't read the spin-offs from the original Story Line.

We do need a really cool name though!

17. raizarul

raizarul Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2004
    I could do a Lucas and call her Nalieme. What do you think? Just throwing out ideas. More welcome!

ooops I was trying to see if the other sign on was still out there & left myself signed in under this.
    Does anyone know how I delete this one?

Melanie

18. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Since this is the thread for talking about anything, I will do just that. Did anyone else watch the news tonight about those four kids (one 14 years old, the other three are 17 years old) that beat that guy up and all the damage that they did to him? Stuff like this is happening more and more (that school bus fight two weeks ago, anyone?), and I keep *hoping* I can be there when it happens one day...

I completely fail to grasp, really, why we simply do not put kids and people like this to sleep. We live in a sick world when everyone seems to be a hippie and say such things like, "All human life is valuable. No one deserves to die." What?! I cannot count the sheer number of people that deserve to die, not just die, but, no pun intended, die hard (not Bruce Willis, of course).

So, these kids do this to this guy, and they are arrested, probably get probation, and that is about it. Why? Take them to a doctor, inject them with whatever-it-is they put dogs and cats to sleep with, and be done with it. It boggles the mind why this is not done on a daily basis.

The 13 year old kid on the bus that beat the 11 year old up? Why is he still around? Have we become that soft? Perhaps we were never that hard to begin with.

That's all. Good 'ol January Meeting thread being used again.

Brandon

19. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Well, the short answer would be that killing people who kill people (or even just severely harm them) doesn't stop people from killing (or severely harming) other people. To get at the root of the problem you must first determine why people lash out in this manner. I'm not saying we need to not punish people for their crimes, but if we don't strive for rehabilitation and dig for some answers then the cycle will merely continue.

What we need to do is find some remote island for scientists to conduct their research on so these violent criminals are effectively removed from society. If they couldn't play by society's rules, then they shouldn't benefit from society's earnings. No TV, no fancy shmancy gym, no three square meals a day (why should they get better than the homeless?). They should just hack out an existence under the watchful eye of Big Brother, repenting for all their wrongdoings.

And maybe one day, if they shaped up enough, they could reenter society and win Survivor or something. :p

L8r

20. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    Um... okay.. yeah kids are turning into neandrathals. Its like a dog eat dog world out there and I'm a milkbone. I remember when you could bring a gun to school and have duels out in the field at recess. Okay maybe not. Did you hear about the middle school kids who were engaged in acts of oral consent in a bathroom and a teacher walked in on them? Man the place is falling apart. I couldn't even imagine half the crap these kids actually do.

Hey Melanie name your car KITT if you want a one word name. Didn't that stand for Killer In a Tank Top? Or was it Knight Industries Two Thousand? Or maybe call your car Diablo!!! Then get red flame decals on it and some ground effect lights maybe get a souped up exhaust where you can blow flame out! Or maybe call it Wildfire or Travesty. Give it a evil name and make sure you get in one hit and run to give your car some evil street cred.

21. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    I disagree. I think executing people (not "killing," that word is so bad guy-ish), or putting them to sleep, a much nicer term, *would* cut down on the number of murders and crime in general. The problem is that we don't do it in great enough numbers. This needs to be done on a daily basis, non-stop.

James is right, kids *have* gotten worse. Some say, "Oh, you just remember it differently, it's the same as it always has been." Not true at all. I am not saying kids are ever perfect; I was not perfect, nor was anyone I knew perfect. But in terms of violence and sexual acts, kids today are out of control and simply need to be dealt with in a harsh manner. Fear not, I think adults should, too. I am just saying kids now because it was kids that were in the original news story I responded to.

As for the remote island deal. I agree but for a different reason. I know how we could please people like me, please scientists, and please those that are members of PETA or groups like it. You see, I think animal testing is disgusting and, most importantly, not needed. You should take criminals and just do any and all testing on them. Period. Monkeys, rabbits, dogs, etc. live happy, scientists learn, the public benefits, and everyone is happy. Minus the hippies, but who cares about them. You see, they say, "Testing on rabbits is fairly close to how things will react on a human... etc." Then why not simply test on a human? Strap him down and go to town.

This world, especially our country, is falling apart, and if you ever wonder why other countries look down upon us, well, you should not wonder. I look down upon us, as do most people that I know.

Four kids should not beat up a guy, causing him to have to have internal organs *removed* because of the damage they do to him. And then, to add insult to injury, they were SMILING and LAUGHING to the camera while being placed into a police cruiser.

They really are very lucky that no one with a weapon witnessed the incident. Had an armed person been there, family member, friend, someone passing by, they would have had full, and legal, rights to shoot them (I'm sure shooting one would do the trick, the other three, the cowards that they are, would run off). They are very lucky.

We're over populated by about three billion people as it is. People like this are not needed.

Brandon

22. Phntmns

Phntmns Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2003
    The problem with these kids is that they're smart. They're smart in the fact that they know the law won't do anything to them. When faced with punishment they cry, and mommy and daddy cry "Oh please, they're just children" Yeah? So What! Let's take a 16 year old that kills someone, and put him to DEATH! Let's televise it. Let's show the fear in his eyes, show him shaking, wetting himself, knowing that he is going to pay with his life. I can almost gaurantee that would send the message that NO ONE, is above the law, and all the other little punks out there might actually be AFRAID of the law. Right now they're not. Most of the time, kids under 18 will get probation, and a slap on the hand. They know it, and they thumb their nose at it. And it's sad. The only recourse is the fact that victims can sue the parents, because they're responsible for the kids until the kids are "adults".

This may seem a little harsh, but it comes at a time when one of those 16 year olds broke into my house this past weekend when I was at the convention and stole about 50 of my DVDs. At $20 each, that's about a $1,000 worth. Needless to say the law probably won't do anything, and my DVD's are gone forever.

And believe me, I'm fuming......

And I know who it is.....

23. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Thank the Force that there are some other people that can think straight nowadays. I completely agree with everything you said. I am sorry to hear about what happened to you.

I assume you called law enforcement. Did they dust for fingerprints? Look for any type of shoe impressions? Hair? Anything? If anyone ever breaks into my house, I hope to god that I am home.

I fail to see why we even have laws that are different for children. If you're 31 and kill someone, you die. If you're 12 and kill someone, you die. Period.

I know full well that people say they should show executions to the public, or execute people for lesser crimes, come off sounding "tough" or like, "Okay, sure, you are just trying to sound all tough and big." This, though, is *not* the case. I fully with every bit of my being believe people should be severely punished for their crimes. The kids that broke into your house? I fail to see why they are even kept alive.

I'm getting mad again. I will hit the Post button now.

Brandon

24. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    Senility has set in again because I'm sort of confused on one point.
    Don't they have laws that allow us to try 16 year olds as adults? Brandon, you're the expert on this more than I... if a teenager kills someone, don't they have the right to try them as an adult or not? If so, what age is the cut off, etc.

Melanie

25. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    If children are killing people, I'd look to their parents and current socio-economic situation before screaming for their blood. Children who get out of control like this do so for a reason. The reason is what must be addressed, not just the perpetrators.

And assuming that the death penalty is a detterant to crime (which I don't believe it is), our system is not set up to make it worth a damn. The appeals process can drag for years and by the time anyone gets executed the original crime is out of the public's mind.

It's one thing when an adult murders, but when a child does so I think we need a new play book. We need to dig deeper and find the whys and hows of the situation to make sure it doesn't happen again. How were these kids raised? Were their parents working two or three jobs a piece? Was TV and street kids their "babysitter"? Did they go to school? Were there warning signs of malcontent? I bet there were. The biggest problem in this country is that people don't want to take responsibility for anything and when a tragedy occurs, it's always someone else's fault. No one is born evil. These kids had other problems which sadly resulted in the death of an innocent. Don't just punish the kids. Get at the adults in their lives, too.

L8r

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.