main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jar-Jar and Gollum

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Darth-Vengence, Dec 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    But, gollum and jar jar are fine for me. :)

2. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I like both characters as I have said before, but I find Jar Jar Binks more interesting and real than Gollum. I wonder what he'll look like in Episode III.

3. Indy2

Indy2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Gollum is the best thing since CG sliced bread.

laughs at person who said Jar Jar is more interesting.

sorry Jar jar is thin, very thin. A 3d character with 1d personality.

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I think Jar Jar looks better and more real than Gollum--

BUT

Bear in mind that Gollum was my favorite character from the books, and so I had built-up expectations and hopes for him... I was attached to what was in my head.

So maybe I can't blame WETA or Peter Jackson for that.

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "laughs at person who said Jar Jar is more interesting."

What ever happened to being respectful of other opinions? You might think that strange, but it is the honest truth with me. Thanks for insulting me.

6. Indy2

Indy2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    sorry but i took your statement to seriously.
    Obviously you were jesting.

7. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "Obviously you were jesting."

I was not jesting. Don't put words into someone you don't know. [face_plain]

8. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    To me, they're a wash as characters. Both of them are fool characters, a type which has been in drama since before the Greeks even. As fool characters often do, they both are somewhat annoying but completely essential to the story. Not everyone you meet in real life is interesting or 100% likeable all the time. Some people are annoying, and these kinds of characters reflect that. Although neither one bothers me. As a CGI creation, I think they're about equal, although Gollum didn't even need to be CGI, and there goes Jackson's mantra of only using CGI when necessary right out the window. It'd took nothing to find a skinny, ugly guy, put some grayish makeup on him, and use him as Gollum. The kid from Road Trip looks almost exactly like CGI Gollum.

CGI Yoda is far more interesting than either of them, anyway.

9. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    I see Gollum more along the lines of Yoda in ESB, where a Muppet was being used to portray an actual character that would convey serious emotions in a way that could be taken seriously, and not in a comical fashion. That is what Peter Jackson tried, and as I saw, accomplished amazingly well with Gollum. He used CGI to create a character that was believable and convincing by saying and acting in a way that was not condescending to the audience, which was the idea behind the original Yoda. As opposed to Jar Jar, where that idea was completely thrown out the window for the sake of cheap laughs and a shot at being a "pioneer."

10. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    Gollum sounded like Donald Duck.

Those "debating with his splintered selveses" scenes were far too literal. How insulting.

I perfer Watto, Dex, Jar Jar and clonetroopers as CGI creations and characters.

EDIT: I almost forgot one of the best CGI creations to appear on the big screen yet: The Iron Giant. (see sig)

11. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    I agree completely with Loco_for_Lucas. I feel Gollum is really the Yoda of his time.

Neither actor (Frank Oz or Andy Serkis)is actually on the screen but both performances are translated so well they leave you breathless.

I really believe that the only people who find any fault with Gollum are just bitter SW fans.

12. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Yeah, most of the condescending criticism against the character here has been from bitter people that feel LOTR's Gollum succeeded where TPM and Jar Jar failed.

13. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I loved Jar Jar, Gullum, Yoda, Dobby!

14. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    I really believe that the only people who find any fault with Gollum are just bitter SW fans.

No, in fact LotR was quite a passion for me during the years between the Star Wars trillogies. I love both worlds almost equally. But I love the Star Wars movies more than I love the EU (which I do read from time to time). And I love Tolkien's books more than I care to sit through Jackson's liberal interpertation of the texts.

BTW if you want a really good adaptation of the LotR BBC made a fantastic radio drama of the books. Ian Holm who played Bilbo in the films plays Frodo. If you want a fantastic portrayal of Gollum listen to the BBC drama.

15. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I still thein they're practically the same character. Gollum is a bit more threatening, I guess. I couldn't compare him to Yoda in any way. Gandalf as a character compares more to Yoda. I guess as a special effect existing as a character he compares somewhat to Yoda, but, as he (Gollum) didn't even need to be a special effect, it seems to be a self-indulgent waste to me or perhaps just a bad decision on Peter Jackson's part.

16. Darth_Insidious

Darth_Insidious Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Where are you going to find a shrunken, emaciated actor to play Gollum? The books were very specific when describing his looks, and they couldn't be achieved with anything other than CG.

17. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    Well the Orgs were not CG and they were able to do them in make up.

18. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    The orcs were proportioned like humans, while Gollum explicitly isn't. It would have been like finding a live actor to play Sebulba.

19. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    You could have. There are people skinny enough to have played Gullum. Kid who plays Eric in That 70's show, Dicaprio to name a few. And looking at my Gullum figure, he is proportioned as a human. 2 hands, arms, legs feet. Head two ears, eyes a mouth and nose. he looks human to me. And I thought Gullum was once human, Smeagal

20. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    Ekenobi, Gollum has the requisite number of body parts, but they're in different proportions to one another than a human's are. His legs and arms are longer, his torso is narrower, and his head is larger. Additionally, his frame is wire-thin, too thin for the smallest, skinniest actor.

21. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    Well you could still do it. Gloves, mask, footings for the proportion parts.

22. spring_warm

spring_warm Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2003
    gollum = character
    jar-jar = clown

23. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    "Footings" to extend his arms and legs? Would he wear a football helmet with a Gollum mask taped on to enlarge his head? How would you shrink his torso--you want to give him a corset too? :p

24. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    Your wrong spring_warm. Jar Jar Binks might seem like a clown, but have you ever bothered looking behind that and seeing the character for what he is? Wouldn't you be extremely hyper and friendly if you spent several years alone in the Swamps of Naboo with no friends? That would kill me.

25. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    Not a football helmet but mask canbe and have been made that are bigger then the actors head. Make up artists could work wonders. What about Planet of the Apes? 68 and 2001 versions. Make up department did wonders woith those. And all the person has to be is skinny not pencil thin to play the character. And again looking and my Gullum figure. His hand and legs are not extended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.