main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jar-Jar and Gollum

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Darth-Vengence, Dec 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spring_warm

spring_warm Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2003
    Your wrong spring_warm. Jar Jar Binks might seem like a clown, but have you ever bothered looking behind that and seeing the character for what he is? Wouldn't you be extremely hyper and friendly if you spent several years alone in the Swamps of Naboo with no friends? That would kill me

its completely irrelvant how/why he became a clown,

and seeing the character for what he is?

his purpose as a character is comedic relief, so he's a clown

2. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    Padding the top of the head is one thing, but no mask would have the same range and subtlety of expression as the Gollum they ended up with--and as a character, Gollum needs that. Likewise, if they constructed entire prosthetic arms (complete with hands) to drape over an actor, any hand gestures they could manage would be clumsy at best--a far cry from what the animators accomplished. Give him stilts and prosthetic legs, and you take away his ability to do anything but stand and walk; no crouching, no prowling, no fighting, no climbing, no jumping.

Do all that, and you'd have a stiff, unconvincing mess--that still wouldn't look half as good as what they achieved by using the tools in front of them.

3. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Call him a Clown if you want. I don't see him doing much stuff in Episode II. How does that fit into your opinion? :confused:

4. spring_warm

spring_warm Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2003
    Call him a Clown if you want. I don't see him doing much stuff in Episode II. How does that fit into your opinion?

He grows up, his purpose in Ep2 is much different, his purpose to propose that Palpatine be given emergency powers.

And i dont mean clown as an insult either.

5. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    I wouldn't call Jar Jar a clown; he's more of an idiot than a clown.

6. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    He's definately an update of the classic fool character from drama. That's one reason some people don't know how to react to the character: they just don't use these kinds of characters in these kinds of movies anymore. But I'm glad Lucas doesn't follow trendy conventions.

7. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Darth Geist

But Darth, he did not have overgrown legs and arms. He really did not stand up. he was mostly squatting. And could not really tell. I believe his hands and legs were in perfect proportion to his body. Just Hands and feet seemed bigger. You are right though. It would be stiff and take away from the actor. But it still could be done. So do you prefer the CG Yoda then to the ESB Yoda? becuase I think the CG Yoda had more expression was more alive then the stiff puppet. I even like that Gullum was CG. but I just think it could have been done the old way also. I think Oz even liked it more too.

8. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "I wouldn't call Jar Jar a clown; he's more of an idiot than a clown."

So what if he is clumsy and doesn't speak perfect English? I make silly clumsy mistakes like him sometimes, so I can relate to that. So I disagree, he is not a idiot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.