main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Jar Jar and Senators

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Garrett Atkins, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    and to be fair

it's not like Padme had any forsight into the situation (the report obi-wan passed on) and knew anything that important was going to happen (senate sessions i imagine are probably long and boring, and expected Jar Jar to sit on his butt through most of it)

she didn't want to leave anyway, so if you're looking for a reason, think about it as her giving the senate the finger :p

2. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Truly, I feel it's Jar Jar that should be insulted at the comparison to some of Earth's politicians. Reminds me of Mark Pryor (D), a Senator, saying "You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the Senate."

DarthBoba likes this.
  3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Honestly, the prequels are just Padme making snap decisions...going back to Naboo, putting Jar-Jar in charge, and then going to Mustafar..each one steadily less good :p

4. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    one wonders if she is the "Phantom Menace"

she inadverntantly is responsible for Anakin's turn too :p

Paparazzo and DarthBoba like this.
  5. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Now that's taking things too far! Jar Jar maybe, but Jeremy Clarkson? Perhaps a mixture of the two would be best - Jar Jar Clarkson [face_laugh]

6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Or perhaps Jar Jar reminded them too much of themselves. Perhaps they preferred to identify themselves to the more "cool" characters like Obi-Wan, instead of someone like Jar-Jar.

Which would explain why the characters in the OT strike me as more ideal than realistic. If Jar-Jar lacked intelligence, what does that say for the politicians who voted for his proposal in AOTC, allowed Palpatine to stay in office for so long and supported his transformation into the Galactic Emperor?

Jar-Jar WAS NEVER chosen as Senator. He was never a Senator. His title in AOTC was Representative Jar-Jar Binks.

He was chosen as representative due to his actions in TPM - whether intentional or accidental. His clumsiness caused the destruction of a good number of droid soldiers. On the other hand, he was the one who had inadvertently suggested to Padme that she seek the help of the Gungans to deal with the Trade Federation.

7. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Oooh, burn! I thought they mainly liked to identify with Darth Vader though :D

Anyway, I agree with the comments about politicians not necessarily being highly intelligent. Generally, they are not chosen for their IQ. As the Gungan representative, Jar Jar must have been chosen by the Gungans. No doubt they have their own criteria for what makes a good representative.

8. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    !!