main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Jar Jar and the Senate

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    So the other day me any a friend of mine randomly got on the topic of star wars, and I mentioned that i actually liked Jar Jar, though i still think he's annoying, he totally disagrees, he hates Jar Jar, and think's he is stupid. And I was OK with that.

He only watched the movies, and he like all of them, but he's not as big as a fan as I am.

So we were discussing Jar Jar and we some how got to the senate, and how he got in it. He though it was stupid that Jar Jar was put in the senate because he was, and I quote, "retarded." But then I went on and told him about how Palpatine used Jar Jar to bring him to power, maybe Palpatine had some thing to do with getting him in there in the first place. And I also told him Jar Jar might have matured a little bit. (though I kinda doubt that)

I personally think the whole Jar Jar and the Senate thing worked out fine, while i'd rather see him become a warrior in the Gungan army instead, but it's all OK, i do like that he's a Senator.

So, what's your take, do you think Jar Jar should have been in the senate, why or why not. And also, did you like how Jar Jar unknowingly helped bring Palpatine to power?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Ehh. After the last few weeks Jar-Jar makes a pretty fair number of US Senators look downright dull-witted. So the stupid thing is okay :p

And YES. I love the Empire being Jar-Jar's fault.

"Mesa might be what yousa callin clumsy.."

[​IMG]

Above: Clumsy.

Zeta1127 and StampidHD280pro like this.
  3. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    I don't get the reference to Jar Jar and the death star on Alderaan.

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    That's okay. I'm sure you'll figure it out by asking repeatedly.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  5. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Jar Jar wasn't annoying. I don't nitpick the prequels, like many people do. Vader's transformtation from human to cyborg made up for everything bad about the prequels. There were other redeeming aspects, too.

He was just a boring character. But who cares if he's boring? There's far more to the film than some minor character to nitpick over.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  6. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    He wasn't a Senator. He was the Gungan Representative.

7. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    He was both.

8. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Whether he was a Senator or a Representative, it matters not. He should not have been sitting in the Senate in any capacity. There should be a minimum IQ requirement, but alas...

Anyway, we all know Palpatine put him there for a reason, and yes, Jar Jar is responsible for the Empire and the deaths of millions of innocents. How yousa feel now, bombad Senator? Yousa shoulda stayed wit da brisky mornin' munchin'.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN and DarthBoba like this.
  9. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    In the Star Wars saga, different species have varying levels of intellects. As far as I know, the Sentate's job is to represent all civilized populations. So, you really can't keep idiots like Jar Jar out.

10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I find it intriguing that Jar Jar was unwittingly involved in Palpatine's machinations.

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Where was jar jar during the OT? Was that jar jar's voice at the end of Jedi?

12. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    No. Jar Jar has no part whatsoever in the OT. He is not referenced at all, much like Ahsoka is not referenced at all.

13. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    But he became part of the story later on. He didnt just dissapear in the OT. The OT and the PT are the same storyline.

14. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I'm not saying that he vanished into thin air. He just is not mentioned at all. Sly Moore is never mentioned in the OT.

15. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    [​IMG]

16. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Wait what? Palpatine used Jar Jar to help bring him into power? But it's not just Jar Jar's fault that he was brought into power, all of the senators had to vote and it was Padme who said she wanted him to replace Vallorum to the whole senate.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Do I think that he should be a senator? No. Do I understand why he became one? Yes. Do I mind it? No.

That's actually a very good point against some people.

18. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I'm saying that just because Jar Jar was in the PT does not mean he has any part in the OT.
    The character wasn't even dreamed up until after the OT.

19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    If Jar Jar was a complete fool, Padme wouldn't let him in the Senate. Padme did make a few bonehead mistakes as well, so I guess there is enough foolishness to go around.

20. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Whatever Jar Jar is not or what he is, he has something that many politicians (in real world too) lack: a good heart.
    He brought the Naboo and the Gungans together, therefore he stood for diplomacy and understanding and not for war, which makes his Senate presence much more fitting than membership in the army (which someone suggested here).

Sure, Jar Jar was easily manipulated. But what's the real ill:
    The one who is easy to manipulate or the one who is manipulating?
    Without evil monsters like Palpatine, Jar Jar as a representative (alongside Senator Amidala, with who he united their planet) of the united Naboo would be no problem. It would be the best thing.

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Jar Jar binks looks like a dinosaur. Did anyone else notice that?

22. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

But Jar Jar was not the only one who was manipulated. Padme, Anakin, the Jedi and the entire Galactic Senate were all manipulated. But I cannot completely blame Palpatine for this. Those who were manipulated had put themselves into that position with their own weaknesses.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  23. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Its such a cop-out for people to say "UP! there ya go! it was ALLL just jar-jars fault!" No. If it wasn't him Palpatine would have just manipulated someone/ANYONE else.

Jar-jar is not "retarded" nor is he even "weak minded" he is one of the good guys. He may not be a fighter but he is every bit as kind, thoughtful and compassionate as Padme.

In Episode one he and Padme united the two societies of the Naboo and saved the planet by teaching them how to help each other and co-exist as part of the natural symbiotic circle they formed.

In Episode two Padme represented the planet Naboo as a senator and naturally jar-jar was simply a representative of the gungans, his people. Chancellor Palpatine (the most powerful and insidious sith master who ever lived) wanted unlimited powers so he got rid of Padme through treachery and deceived jar-jar into making the proposal that would have always happened no matter what. Palpatine had already won in The Phantom Menace when Padme called for the vote of no confidence in the old chancellor (again because she was deceived by palpatine).

The point Lucas made with this is that Evil people take advantage of kind, genuine, well meaning people with deception and fear. Very simple.

If anything its things like this that make the PT a VERY dark fairy tale story with heavy deception, betrayal and an overall major arc of taking all the nice, innocent, beautiful things that were introduced in the first act and bitterly destroying them in the 3rd act.

Samnz and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Including the weak-minded.

25. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I think that's an insult to the Gungans. I don't think they were all as idiotic as Jar Jar. Captain Tarples, for example, seemed to have a good head on his shoulders.

rumsmuggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.