main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Jar Jar Binks and the secrets of the Gungan Sacred Place

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by timbolton, Apr 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    The name of the deities - comes from Galactic Battlegrounds game and also in the Gungan Frontier strategy guide (I think)

Thank you. I'll have to go locate a copy of those. I'm in the process of exploring Gungan folklore and oral history, and having deity names and backgrounds would be helpful. I do know of a website on which someone has posted pictures of the various gods, although I'm not sure if the names come from the game guides or not. If you're interested, I can post the link.

In another day or so I'll take a closer look at your website. I'm also going to pass the address on to some of the kids at my library who are Star Wars fans. I think they'd enjoy the story, especially the illustrated version.

By the way, what exactly are the DHC boards?

2. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Seldes_Katne -
    I'd be really interested in that link, thanks.

DHC boards are the Dark Horse Comic message boards (publisher of Star Wars comics) (http://www.darkhorse.com/community/boards/forum.tpl?_ForumID=120256502260&z=starwars)

After the feedback from Knight-Ander (thanks again :)) and from a few friends on the DHC boards who have been checking, I've been sorting out the CSS linked to the site which controls its format. I only have my own machine to test it on, which is limited - I am tryingto keep it to 800 x 600, to allow all people to view it. It should work fine higher than that, with just white space to the right.

Also, the site isn't finished yet, so links are sparse. The chapter navigation will get you through the story. I've illustrated it with images from the films. I did do some watercolours, but was not happy with them. I think it works better the way I have done it now.

I've just finished writing an article on the Sacred Place as one of the first features for the main site, and looked a little at where LucasFilm got there influences - do you know of any quotes where Lucas talks about real world influences for the Sacred Place? I've looked in many books and can't find any. I'm writing other stuff now, and hope to get the full site set up by the end of this week (we have monday off in the UK - so I have a long weekend).

Another thing is that I'd be really happy to put links on my site to your fan fiction on the Gungans (they are amazing - I actually thought no one else was writing stuff on Jar Jar, Naboo or the Gungans, one of my friends from the DHC site had asked us to write one, that's where I started mine from). Would you be okay with this? :)
    Talk later
    Tim

3. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Tim, here's the link to the Gungan art. I think the artist did a very nice job with these, but I did find the, um, mammalian traits on the female members of the pantheon to be a bit of a surprise. Or maybe I'm just defining "amphibious" a little too narrowly.... Still, if we're talking about superior beings, I suppose they can take on any appearance they please. ;)

It is difficult to find good fanfic on the Gungans in general, and Jar Jar in particular. You might want to try some of these:

Old Friends, Long Gone, by Fernwithy (Luke and Leia get a visit from an old friend who tells them about their parents)
    The Outsiders, by Brolliks (Jar Jar and the Jedi rescue a mercenary)
    The Forgotton, by Brolliks (A Gungan slave is freed and coached in the Jedi arts)
    General Trouble, by LuckyLadybug66 (A couple of unhappy lieutenants ambush Captain Tarpals because they think he's responsible for Binks being made a general) (Note: the author of this last one seems very young, so keep that in mind.)

Also, Knight-Ander is writing a fic that takes place on Naboo during the events of The Phantom Menace called The Young Flames. The link should be in his profile.

[D]o you know of any quotes where Lucas talks about real world influences for the Sacred Place?
    I've looked in a couple of places, but have seen nothing on Lucas's inspiration for the Sacred Place. The only mention I found was in The Art of Star Wars: Episode I, and all that said was that the heads of the statues were first developed for Naboo, then were going to be used as obstacles for the pod-races on Tatooine, then were "moved" back to Naboo and used in the Sacred Place. I've got a couple more places I can check, but from the looks of your bibliography, you've got a more extensive library than I do, so I don't know if I'll have any more luck finding anything about this.

Another thing is that I'd be really happy to put links on my site to your fan fiction on the Gungans...Would you be okay with this?
    Yes, thank you, that would be very kind of you. :) And I'm glad you liked them -- I was concerned about the reactions I would get to them, considering the rather negative comments I've seen about Gungans on the movie message boards, but so far the response has been quite positive.

If you know of any other good Gungan fanfics, or happen to find any others, please contact me, as I'm always looking for more. I will continue searching for information on the Sacred Place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.